Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers - Politics (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers (30428 Views)

Kano Deports 60,000 Beggars To Four States, Other Countries / PHOTOS: Beggers In Front Of National Mosque When Buhari Came To Pray / Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 3:43am On Aug 29, 2009
Hope I wont be evicted back to China when we storm Lagos to grace eldee's Light-up-nigeria on october 1st? cheesy
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 4:40pm On Aug 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Roflmao!!! As funny as the above is, it does not work here. When you move CITIZENS from point A to point B with the intent of returning them to their place of origin or starting point before arrival at point A, you are deporting them. Check the DICTIONARY for the meaning of the words here. Using the one over the other does not change this in any way.

Deport: To expel from a country.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 6:17pm On Aug 30, 2009
Please investigate related definitions that apply, while you are at it.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by KnowAll(m): 6:42pm On Aug 30, 2009
Lagos deprts 160 Northern Beggers.

It is with a pained heart I read the above headline, it actually puts Fashola's credentials as a man of letters, a lawyer, and a champion of the poor and the dis-enfranchise to question. On one hand it is ok to pay Tinubu's tax collection outfit a mouth watering N16 billion monthly or is it yearly well I am not too sure of the exact figure.

A lot can be done if that kind of money is used for social programes in rehabitating  these so called destitute. But it is something that has to be approached carefully as lagos state would not want to be seen as the el-dorado for all lame and mimed people in the country if cash was use as an incentive to lure them back to their respective states. It will not be unthinkable and un-common for full abled men to pose as disabled so as get some kind of sustenance from the state. It is a difficult one for a Governor to legislate for or against I personally think the best line of action is for the govenor to allow the satus quo to remain as it were. " A see no evil hear no evil approach " rather than getting his hands stained in all kinds  of dirt.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by babapupa: 7:42pm On Aug 30, 2009

A lot can be done if that kind of money is used for social programes in rehabitating these so called destitute

He claimed that the beggars were arrested in various parts of Lagos in the last six months but housed and rehabilitated at Majidun in Ikorodu area of Lagos State by the Fashola administration.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/apr/10/14.html
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 8:57pm On Aug 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Please investigate related definitions that apply, while you are at it.

Fashola evicted 160 Northern beggars. . . . .He did not deport them.
None of em came from Ghana, UAE or Budapest.
How do you deport citizens of a country from the same country?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 9:03pm On Aug 30, 2009
~Sauron~:

Is it that using the word EVICTED, with the definition that you chose there, make this better to you? I mean does it change the fact that we have citizens moved from location A back to location B as a result of their suspected of being originally from location B?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportation

Internal deportation

Striking miners and others being deported at gunpoint from Lowell, Arizona, on July 12, 1917, during the Bisbee Deportation.Deportation can also happen within a state, when (for example) an individual or a group of people is forcibly resettled to a different part of the country. If ethnic groups are affected by this, it may also be referred to as population transfer. The rationale is often that these groups might assist the enemy in war or insurrection. For example, the American state of Georgia deported 400 female mill workers during the Civil War on the suspicion they were Northern sympathizers.[9]
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 9:07pm On Aug 30, 2009
~Sauron~:

Na wa o, some people no wan gree, Whether it is eviction or deportation, it is still wrong to come and remove resident of a state to another state without no legal backing,

If this poor people had a warrant for their arrest in other states ehen then its ok to take them to the states they are wanted to face the charge,
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 9:10pm On Aug 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Is it that using the word EVICTED, with the definition that you chose there, make this better to you? I mean does it change the fact that we have citizens moved from location A back to location B as a result of their suspected of being originally from location B?

Citizens have been moved from point A to point B since the days of Moses.
Maroko residents were moved and i can quote many other similar incidents in the past. . . .The fact that Northerners got moved now should not in any way be condemned. Afterall, there are reports that he already moved Yoruba beggars into their native lands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportation

Wikipedia? Any piss-stained alcoholic loser can go to wikipedia and write rubbish on it.
Find me an article written in a newspaper column in the last 50 years where internal deportation has taken place in a country.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 9:13pm On Aug 30, 2009
Sauron honestly its not about ethnicity, if he removed yoruba beggars from ile ife its still wrong as long as they are resident of Lagos and Nigerian
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 9:21pm On Aug 30, 2009
igbo boy:

Sauron honestly its not about ethnicity, if he removed yoruba beggars from ile ife its still wrong as long as they are resident of Lagos and Nigerian

It is not wrong if those yoruba beggars in Ile-Ife are constituting a nuisance to the environment.
He said he built a place for these vagrants but they refused to stay there. . . . .
It's about time we start making bold decisions to turn Nigeria into a better place.

None of you raised an eyebrow when the streets of Lagos were ridden of beggars, urchins and vagrants in 1999 when Nigeria hosted a world cup.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 9:38pm On Aug 30, 2009
~Sauron~:

Citizens have been moved from point A to point B since the days of Moses.
Maroko residents were moved and i can quote many other similar incidents in the past. . . .The fact that Northerners got moved now should not in any way be condemned. Afterall, there are reports that he already moved Yoruba beggars into their native lands.

Wikipedia? Any piss-stained alcoholic loser can go to wikipedia and write rubbish on it.
Find me an article written in a newspaper column in the last 50 years where internal deportation has taken place in a country.

Sigh!!!!

Moving Yorubas from one state or another AGAINST their will, is deportation. I know people are quick to condemn Wiki when it is convenient but spout the same and accept it when it is . But that does not change wha this is here. Maroko folks were not MOVED to another STATE. They were moved around WITHIN The same State. In tthis case however, people were MOVED from POINT A to POINT B in hopes of getting them to their STATES OF ORIGIN, which happens to be OUTSIDE of the LAGOS state JURISDICTION. So again, whether you want to use deport, evict, or barnish, people were moved from point a to be against their own will and outside of the jurisdiction of the government doing so.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 9:50pm On Aug 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Sigh!!!!

Moving Yorubas from one state or another AGAINST their will, is deportation. I know people are quick to condemn Wiki when it is convenient but spout the same and accept it when it is . But that does not change wha this is here. Maroko folks were not MOVED to another STATE. They were moved around WITHIN The same State. In tthis case however, people were MOVED from POINT A to POINT B in hopes of getting them to their STATES OF ORIGIN, which happens to be OUTSIDE of the LAGOS state JURISDICTION. So again, whether you want to use deport, evict, or barnish, people were moved from point a to be against their own will and outside of the jurisdiction of the government doing so.

my guy tell dem,
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 9:51pm On Aug 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Sigh!!!!

Tell me anywhere in the world where the same method wouldn't have been deployed by the government.
What is wrong in moving people who are constituting nuisance in the city to somewhere they can feel more at home?
Northern beggars have no business loitering in the streets of Lagos without contributing nowt to the development of the state.

This why i think Nigeria should be made a nanny state. . . . .I cannot understand why we want to be United States when we are at best Vietnam.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 10:00pm On Aug 30, 2009
~Sauron~:

Tell me anywhere in the world where the same method wouldn't have been deployed by the government.
What is wrong in moving people who are constituting nuisance in the city to somewhere they can feel more at home?
Northern beggars have no business loitering in the streets of Lagos without contributing nowt to the development of the state.

This why i think Nigeria should be made a nanny state. . . . .I cannot understand why we want to be United States when we are at best Vietnam.

well until then we are one country so stop the cross border evictions,

I agree with you that these beggars dont add to the development of Lagos but hey still dont see or treat them as others (AKA Northerners) we can find a humane other than eviction like thats gonna stop anything

The truth is lagos is the commercial nerve of Nigeria and with abject poverty people still gonna be drawn to lagos in droves so he should expect more beggars
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 10:08pm On Aug 30, 2009
igbo boy:

well until then we are one country so stop the cross border evictions,

Evict them. . . . . .Lagos is not cut n dried for everybody.
They should stay in their native land and don't make a profession out of begging alms.

I agree with you that these beggars dont add to the development of Lagos but hey still dont see or treat them as others (AKA Northerners) we can find a humane other than eviction like thats gonna stop anything

What other ways? Lodge them in Sheraton Hotel with our taxes?

The truth is lagos is the commercial nerve of Nigeria and with abject poverty people still gonna be drawn to lagos in droves so he should expect more beggars

Would you let these beggars camp in front of your gate in Lagos?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 10:19pm On Aug 30, 2009
@Sauron

Evict them. . . . . .Lagos is not cut n dried for everybody.They should stay in their native land and don't make a profession out of begging alms.

well until the government create jobs for the youth they are gonna come, which one come be stay in their native land? hope u no dey hate cos no be your papa own lagos

What other ways? Lodge them in Sheraton Hotel with our taxes?

our taxes? shoo u dey pay tax? even if u do still no be your papa own lagos, And nobody said put them in sheraton hotel// I was reading sometime back how the lagos government took some area boys and schooled them in some trade, well i think same thing can/should be done here,

Would you let these beggars camp in front of your gate in Lagos?

why do we always use the wrong analogies to justify things that are wrong? guy Lagos is not anybodys personal property
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 10:27pm On Aug 30, 2009
igbo boy:

@Sauron
well until the government create jobs for the youth they are gonna come, which one come be stay in their native land? hope u no dey hate cos no be your papa own lagos

So unemployment is the reasons handicapped beggars litter the streets of Lagos?
How do you intend to fix a job for beggars who are blind, deaf, dumb with no hands?
U amuse me?

our taxes? shoo u dey pay tax? even if u do still no be your papa own lagos, And nobody said put them in sheraton hotel// I was reading sometime back how the lagos government took some area boys and schooled them in some trade, well i think same thing can/should be done here,

These beggars are disabled. . . . .They cannot work.
The best thing is to send them home where they can get help instead of feeding on scraps.
Lagosians are yet to eat 3 square meals let alone feeding Northern beggars.

why do we always use the wrong analogies to justify things that are wrong? guy Lagos is not anybodys personal property

So because Lagos is not your property means you cannot do your best to make the place conducive for all and sundry?
The mentality of some Nigerians is nothing to write home about.
Left to you, Lagos should be left ungoverned cos(in your words). . . . .it is no one's property.
What a joke!!!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Beaf: 10:34pm On Aug 30, 2009
~Sauron~:

How do you intend to fix a job for beggars who are blind, deaf, dumb with no hands?
U amuse me?

The best thing is to send them home where they can get help instead of feeding on scraps.

So because Lagos is not your property means you cannot do your best to make the place conducive for all and sundry?
Left to you, Lagos should be left ungoverned cos(in your words). . . . .it is no one's property.
What a joke!!!

The disabled can contribute positively to society. They are equal to anybody else.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking

Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 10:41pm On Aug 30, 2009
Beaf:

The disabled can contribute positively to society. They are equal to anybody else.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking

Stephen Hawking was not on the streets of London begging alms. . . . .
Your analogy at best is laughable.
How can u compare a theoretical physicist with the average Nothern beggar in Lagos who has never seen Newton's law of motion in his life.

Why not take the Northern beggars to NSE to analyse share price index? cheesy
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 10:42pm On Aug 30, 2009
author=~Sauron~ link=topic=313573.msg4452927#msg4452927 date=1251667636]
U amuse me?

i amuse you? ok are u done laughing? Back to the issue, yes unemployment is part of the reason, poverty, i can go on and on but thats not relevant.,, we are talking about uprooting citizens of a country from one state to another, Ok if u say they are not unemployed that they are blind, deaf, dumb etc, oh boy u no dey shame? so treating the disable cruelly is justified cos they are disabled, becuase GOD created u healthy doesnt mean u should hate on your fellow humans who are physically challenged

umm i think if they could get hope from wherever they came from they woudlnt be in lagos in the first place,
Eating 3square meals a day or not, these beggars are not at gunpoint telling u to give them money or food, its your perogative and discretion so free them

What a joke!!!

guy stop misconfiguring my uttering ( shoo am a spoker hehehe) anyway i said no ones personal property, meaning u dont make unilateral decisions about the state like say na ur papa own am
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 10:51pm On Aug 30, 2009
igbo boy:

i amuse you? ok are u done laughing? Back to the issue, yes unemployment is part of the reason, poverty, i can go on and on but thats not relevant.,, we are talking about uprooting citizens of a country from one state to another, Ok if u say they are not unemployed that they are blind, deaf, dumb etc, oh boy u no dey shame? so treating the disable cruelly is justified cos they are disabled, becuase GOD created u healthy doesnt mean u should hate on your fellow humans who are physically challenged

So moving Northern beggars back to their roots is treating them cruelly?
What makes you think these beggars weren't itching to go back to their roots but couldn't because of their financial status?
A man is deaf and dumb and begging alms on the streets. Lagos cannot cater for them like the developed world would. . . .The best option is to take them where they can get help.

umm i think if they could get hope from wherever they came from they woudlnt be in lagos in the first place,
Eating 3square meals a day or not, these beggars are not at gunpoint telling u to give them money or food, its your perogative and discretion so free them

Most of em came to Lagos in the first place because of the usual hear-says that people pick naira on Lagos trees.
U know the drill. . . . .

guy stop misconfiguring my uttering ( shoo am a spoker hehehe) anyway i said no ones personal property, meaning u dont make unilateral decisions about the state like say na your papa own am

So a governor cannot decide what he wants from his State again?
Do you know the powers/functions of a state governor or are you just fibbing around?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by KnowAll(m): 11:03pm On Aug 30, 2009

For any Governor to think he or she can solve what is basically a humanist and social problem in a city of 18 million inhabitants beats one's imagination. It is either the Governor is living in a cokoo land  or he is simply dis-illusioned or both and needs to be brought back to reality. Fashola a well travelled man should know that miscreants, beggers, and other destitute are part and parcel of most megapolis all over the the world.

It would be foolhardy to think that by mere shifting of human beings like cattles from one destitination to another would solve what is a  natural underbelly of any major metropolis, to now think that lagos is also the economic hub to 145 million Nigerians does not do justice to the Governors action.

Cities like bombay, cairo, johnesburg have the same problems lagos is facing it would take an act of God for such problems to be absolved in its entirety, when one considers that these same problem is still a majour cause of concern to authorities in mordern 1st world economies like london and new york with her generous benefit system,  it only confirms my earlier stance that the Governor's action was an un-necessary exercise in futility which should be abondoned without any reproach or second thought.

[/color]
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by TOPE20001(f): 11:05pm On Aug 30, 2009
Beaf what has Stephen Hawking got to do with this grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Beaf: 11:09pm On Aug 30, 2009
^Check the bolded items in the post I quoted. I found them quite disturbing (much like the whole topic).
If disabled people are empowered, they can contribute a lot to society, but in Nigeria, they tend to be objects of scorn and ridicule; e.g. very few of our stand up comedians are complete if they don't exhibit some sort of disabled limp every few minutes. Our society needs remoulding.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 11:14pm On Aug 30, 2009
KnowAll:

For any Governor to think he or she can solve what is basically a humanist and social problem in a city of 18 million inhabitants beats one's imagination. It is either the Governor is living in a cokoo land  or he is simply dis-illusioned or both and needs to be brought back to reality. Fashola a well travelled man should know that miscreants, beggers, and other destitute are part and parcel of most megapolis all over the the world.

Then you have not been to some cities in Asia.

KnowAll:

It would be foolhardy to think that by mere shifting of human beings like cattles from one destitination to another would solve what is a  natural underbelly of any major metropolis, to now think that lagos is also the economic hub to 145 million Nigerians does not do justice to the Governors action.

It does. . . . .He has to start somewhere.
He must step on toes to make Lagos better.

KnowAll:

Cities like bombay, cairo, johnesburg have the same problems lagos is facing it would take an act of God for such problems to be absolved in its entirety, when one considers that these same problem is still a majour cause of concern to authorities in mordern 1st world economies like london and new york with her generous benefit system,  it only confirms my earlier stance that the Governor's action was an un-necessary exercise in futility which should be abondoned without any reproach or second thought.

Why mention cities like Bombay, Cairo and Johannesburg and conveniently ignore places like Singapore, Malaysia and Jakarta.
Go to Singapore and see the way they have turned things around. . . . .I doubt u can find a cigarette butt on the streets of Singapore City.
It's a nanny state. . . . .U better put up or face the wrath of the law. If you can cope, fine. . . . .If you cannot, you get punished.
It is so efficient you cannot walk a dog on their streets or take food into their train stations. . . .What we need in Nigeria is an IRON HAND.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by ASL33: 11:16pm On Aug 30, 2009
Beaf:

^Check the bolded items in the post I quoted. I found them quite disturbing (much like the whole topic).
If disabled people are empowered, they can contribute a lot to society, but in Nigeria, they tend to be objects of scorn and ridicule; e.g. very few of our stand up comedians are complete if they don't exhibit some sort of disabled limp every few minutes. Our society needs remoulding.
This is so true and its bad. It can't happen any other place other than nigeria.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 11:25pm On Aug 30, 2009
author=~Sauron~ link=topic=313573.msg4453010#msg4453010 date=1251669060]
So moving Northern beggars back to their roots is treating them cruelly?
What makes you think these beggars weren't itching to go back to their roots but couldn't because of their financial status?
A man is deaf and dumb and begging alms on the streets. Lagos cannot cater for them like the developed world would. . . .The best option is to take them where they can get help.

you made very valid points above, so then the answer is forceful deportation? I think most people are not arguing with beggars on the street being an eyesore or a problem to society but its how it was tackled na im be the wahala,

Most of em came to Lagos in the first place because of the usual hear-says that people pick naira on Lagos trees.
U know the drill. . . . .

true true, ah ah u think say europe or america na heaven? but still people risk their life to go to such places because of what they hear, So hey you cant kill determination or will,

The real solution is the federal government shoring up to its responsibility and the fake solution is the so called eviction of these physically challenged

So a governor cannot decide what he wants from his State again?
Do you know the powers/functions of a state governor or are you just fibbing around?

oh no bro dont misunderstand me, governors should know what they want as long as in the confine of the law, i challenge u to show me where in the lagos constutution that says beggars should be deported back to their state of origin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by THEAMAKA(f): 11:27pm On Aug 30, 2009
igbo boy, how old are you?! shocked
serious question
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 11:28pm On Aug 30, 2009
i'll tell u in a private sphere
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by igboboy1(m): 11:29pm On Aug 30, 2009
u got IM, messenger, facebook etc

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (Reply)

Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Is Talking Nonsense - Edwin Clark / Ganduje suspends ban of male, female on same tricycle / Weapons Recovered In Niger State From Local Gun Runners & Armed Bandits. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.