Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:52 PM

We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku (23273 Views)

Pastor Tunde Bakare Says, "Renegotiate Our Union" / State Of The Nation: It’s Time To Renegotiate Our Union – Tunde Bakare / State Of The Nation: It’s Time To Renegotiate Our Union – Tunde Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by sarrki(m): 7:56pm On May 31, 2016
…canvasses true federalism

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and Chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, APC, has decried that the Federal Republic of Nigeria as currently constituted is not working, saying greater autonomy to states is the panacea to the country’s multi-faceted internal crisis.

Atiku’s spoke on Tuesday, at the official launch of “We Are All Biafrans”, a new book written by activist, journalist and scholar, Chido Onumah, in Abuja.

Atiku, who was Nigeria’s vice-president between 1999-2007, said Nigerians have suffered for too long under a poorly-designed structure.

H said: “Nigeria is not working, as well as it should, And part of the reason is the poor way we have structured our economy and governance especially since 1960.”

The former Vice President said the federal government’s powers dwindle those of states, consequently making it difficult for states to carry out customised initiatives for their individual residents, a situation he said “needs to change”.

“The federal government is too big and too powerful relative to the federating units. “That situation needs to change and calling for that change is patriotic,” he opined.

Atiku also urged Nigerians to desist from labeling those clamouring for a weak center in Nigeria’s political system.

“We must refrain from assuming that anyone calling for restructuring of our federation is working for the breakup of our country. Absolutely not. And I reject that notion,” he said.

The APC chieftain who chaired the book launch, said the federal government can not foster national unity even with its enormous power, adding that it is worsening the country’s circumstances.

His words: “An excessively powerful centre does not equate to national unity. Absolutely not. If anything, it has made our unity more fragile, our government more unstable and our country more unsafe. We must renegotiate our union in other to make it strong.”

Mr. Atiku, therefore, urged Nigerians to embrace a restructured Nigeria, saying it will also reduce the importance politicians place on elections into federal positions.

His words: “Greater autonomy, power and resources for state and local authority will give the federations units greater freedom and flexibility to address local issues for their priorities and peculiarities. It will reduce the premium placed on capturing power at the centre. It will reduce insecurity. It will promote healthy rivalry amongst federations units.”

Meanwhile, Chido Onumah, the author of “We Are All Biafrans”, said the book took him three years to put together.

The launch was attended by former Education Minister, Oby Ezekwesili, civil society leaders, Jubrin Ibrahim and Nnimo Bassey.

The book, which explains how the agitation for Biafra is actually a metaphor for all the tribes in the country, was reviewed by Chidi Odinkalu, a professor of law and former chairman of the National Human Rights Commission.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/we-must-renegotiate-our-union-to-make-it-strong-atiku/

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by modath(f): 8:02pm On May 31, 2016
Nice, but Atiku, the consummate politician shouldn't just say it to massage bruised egos and as mere lip service to position himself in furtherance of his barely concealed ambition..... Mere posturing and rhetorics won't cut it..

He controls the N-PDP and has half his body in the PDP, he should use the REPS to push for it in the "right" way it should be done..... cool

59 Likes 7 Shares

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by Nobody: 8:09pm On May 31, 2016
Why is the federal government so keen on holding all the powers in this country? I would think allowing every state control their resources will bring more precise development economically, socially and would cost less to run this entity called Nigeria

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by omenka(m): 8:09pm On May 31, 2016
Watch it- the Lost Children of Uganda will forget he's an "illiterate gworo chewing almajiri raising Abok! from the North" and agree hook line and sinker with every alphabet of the words he's uttered, because in their little minds, this is a statement critical of FG and by extension Buhari. cheesy

We've always been pro true federalism and resource control because it is indeed a panacea to the myriad of problems buffeting our nascent democracy/economy since independence. Let the FG control the Army, protecting our sovereignty, while the economy is principally controlled by the states. That is what we have always wanted. But what we would always be against is some group of persons trying to blackmail/intimidate the FG into doing their bidding regardless of its propriety.

When people like Atiku start making statements like this, I tend to get very suspicious because he's occupied such position as to have greatly influenced the FG into taking serious steps towards the realisation of this lofty aspiration- what stopped him from doing so back then?? Would he do the same if he becomes the president tomorrow?? Hell, is this statement meant to warm him up to some people given that PDP has zoned their party's ticket to the North?? Is he being truly altruistic or cunning??

Only time will tell.

50 Likes 11 Shares

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by Nobody: 8:14pm On May 31, 2016
Good thinkin from Atiku...ur head dey therw sir

2 Likes

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by mrvitalis(m): 8:15pm On May 31, 2016
There is a constitutional amendment going on right?? Why not hold ur repsentatives to make sure resources control is included and it's even headed by the deputy Senate president who is from the east

There is always a right, peaceful and logical way of doing things

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by Montaque(m): 8:18pm On May 31, 2016
mrvitalis:
There is a constitutional amendment going on right?? Why not hold ur repsentatives to make sure resources control is included and it's even headed by the deputy Senate president who is from the east

There is always a right, peaceful and logical way of doing things
Tell bubu to implement the confab report. Lets start from there, before looking at the mathematically incorrect legislooters for help

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by freeze001(f): 8:21pm On May 31, 2016
omenka:
Watch it- the Lost Children of Uganda will forget he's an "illiterate gworo chewing almajiri raising Abok! from the North" and agree hook line and sinker with every alphabet of the words he's uttered, because in their little minds, this is a statement critical of FG and by extension Buhari. cheesy

I pray for the day u will find peace in ur heart and grow up. Get ur head out of the sand or ur butt crack, whichever stinks worse, and smell the coffee! It is to the advantage of all and d entity called Nigeria, to renegotiate our terms of existence and ensure devolution of powers to the federating units.

A real patriot actually interested in seeing Nigeria work would never oppose this with the extreme alternative being a total dissolution into 2 or as many sovereign nations. Too much power at the center is what has led to the deadly do or die politics practiced in this country.

Take some time out, assimilate this fact and stop living and breathing Buhari/APC. The masses that demand this real and fundamental change are far greater than Buhari and APC with their cosmetic change.

148 Likes 18 Shares

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by Nobody: 8:21pm On May 31, 2016
someone is talking..The only man that could have given APC the change they clamored for..

65% of what is going on in this present goverment.Buhari dont know what it means... openly he said He does not know what is Subsidy, He later added he doesn't know what is padding. Rule of law, true Federalism, national reconciliation he does not know either..

He only knows and understand like a Dictator... kill,arrest,prosecute, detain.. AND WE THINK CHANGE CAN COME BY FORCE

22 Likes

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by mrvitalis(m): 8:21pm On May 31, 2016
Montaque:

Tell bubu to implement the confab report. Lets start from there, before looking at the mathematically incorrect legislooters for help
How can he implement it? ? Is he the national assembly?? The Confab according to Jonathan was supposed to be a guide for the constitutions amendment

So please tell ur repsentatives

11 Likes

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by Luckylife(m): 8:22pm On May 31, 2016
Former president Ebele Jonathan have already don that by organising the national conference. All the major problems we face now were discuss and solutions were discuss and finalised. All must support or force the present government to implement the national comfab resolutions.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by Businessideas: 8:23pm On May 31, 2016
It makes sense but does he sincerely mean it? No. He is a product of the federal establishment and when he was in power, it was he and his boss that opposed the creation of the Lagos State LCDAs

10 Likes

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by Nobody: 8:25pm On May 31, 2016
sweetilicious:
This is why the Confab report should be implemented if Nigeria still wants to be one. I love Nigeria but it is not working. Inequality is the root cause of unrest in this country. Proudly an IPOB member.

A new hope seemed to swell within me as I patiently read through the huge 2014 Confab Report . Every sincere Nigerian knows Nigeria must be restructured for it work better; the current structure is counter productive, corrupt and suffocating.

A genuine restructuring will drown all these secessionist voices and tendencies. A bigger Nigeria is better for us all; a restructured Nigeria is even better for us all. ****

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by omenka(m): 8:26pm On May 31, 2016
freeze001:

I pray for the day u will find peace in ur heart and grow up. Get ur head out of the sand or ur butt crack, whichever stinks worse, and smell the coffee! It is go the advantage of all and d entity called Nigeria, to renegotiate our terms of existence and ensure devolution of powers to the federating units.

A real patriot actually interested in seeing Nigeria work would never oppose this with the extreme alternative being a total dissolution into 2 or as many sovereign nations. Too much power at the center is what has led to the deadly do or die politics practiced in this country.

Take some time out, assimilate this fact and stop living and breathing Buhari/APC.
I pray some day you take time out and think hard about the need to stop screwing your mind up over my comments. The sooner you do, the better for you oo.

My butt crack feels good enough for me by the way, you should be more bothered about the crack in which your own head is. wink

Toodles.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by Nobody: 8:27pm On May 31, 2016
Luckylife:
Former president Ebele Jonathan have already don that by organising the national conference. All the major problems we face now were discuss and solutions were discuss and finalised. All must support or force the present government to implement the national comfab resolutions.

The implementation of the Confab report will ease a lot of ethnic tensions within us. We are too distinct to he too close in a fake federalism.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by Montaque(m): 8:29pm On May 31, 2016
mrvitalis:

How can he implement it? ? Is he the national assembly?? The Confab according to Jonathan was supposed to be a guide for the constitutional amendment

So please tell ur repsentatives
You dont know the powers of directon Issuing from the president of nigeria. He wants the reprot to remain in the archives.
Has he sent an executive bill to the house yet except the grazng land bill sponsored by hm, and buying grass from brazil.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by omenka(m): 8:30pm On May 31, 2016
Candyrain:

U seem to be tormented by some unknown forces. U should go for deliverance so u don't kick the bucket early. Just an advice.
Lmao. Methinks I'm the one tormenting some people who can't seem to do without quoting me. Must hurt real badly. Too bad I can't help yall out of your misery since it is self inflicted. All you need to do is ignore my comment, make yours, and walk the Bleep ahead, but Noooooooo!! You just can't do so can you? cheesy

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by Candyrain(m): 8:30pm On May 31, 2016
dearpreye:

A new hope seemed to swell within me as I patiently read through the huge 2014 Confab Report . Every sincere Nigerian knows Nigeria must be restructured for it work better; the current structure is counter productive, corrupt and suffocating.

A genuine restructuring will drown all these secessionist voices and tendencies. A bigger Nigeria is better for us all; a restructured Nigeria is even better for us all. But till then, I'll keep supporting any group or tribe that wants to get the hell out of the current Nigeria.

I concur sir

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by BankeSmalls(f): 8:31pm On May 31, 2016
Ok
Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by SuperS1Panther: 8:33pm On May 31, 2016
Better late than never.

Though, Atiku was only being ''politically'' correct because of his audience. Would he have said that if his audience was a babariga wearing one?

By the way sir, you were VP of the Federal Republic for 8years, why were you not able to champion this then?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by HurtgenForest: 8:33pm On May 31, 2016
True words from Atiku Abubakar, the most likely next Nigerian president.

4 Likes

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by BankeSmalls(f): 8:34pm On May 31, 2016
Luckylife:

God will bless Goodluck Jonathan. May his dayses be longssssss. Nigeria s best president of all time.

16 Likes

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by Candyrain(m): 8:37pm On May 31, 2016
omenka:
Lmao. Methinks I'm the one tormenting some people who can't seem to do without quoting me. Must hurt real badly. Too bad I can't help yall out of your misery since it is self inflicted. All you need to do is ignore my comment, make yours, and walk the Bleep ahead, but Noooooooo!! You just can't do so can you? cheesy

Hahahaha, actually for u to take time to type about this people u so love to hate, it means u always think about them. I can't imagine how much they torment ur soul, torment ur very existence. Keep it up boy, its good to know they are always in ur thought tormenting and frustrating u. Lolzzzz

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by jlinkd78(m): 8:40pm On May 31, 2016
f
Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by Dollyak(f): 8:47pm On May 31, 2016
Refreshing to hear this from a northerner. Well, it's pretty much a common sense really.

3 Likes

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by jlinkd78(m): 8:48pm On May 31, 2016
omenka:

We've always been pro true federalism and resource control because it is indeed a panacea to the myriad of problems buffeting our nascent democracy/economy since independence. Let the FG control the Army, protecting our sovereignty, while the economy is principally controlled by the states. That is what we have always wanted. But what we would always be against is some group of persons trying to blackmail/intimidate the FG into doing their bidding regardless of its propriety.

When people like Atiku start making statements like this, I tend to get very suspicious because he's occupied such position as to have greatly influenced the FG into taking serious steps towards the realisation of this lofty aspiration- what stopped him from doing so back then?? Would he do the same if he becomes the president tomorrow?? Hell, is this statement meant to warm him up to some people given that PDP has zoned their party's ticket to the North?? Is he being truly altruistic or cunning??

Only time will tell.
I understand your penchant for high sounding vocabulary most times aimed at hoodwinking Ur fellow zombies into thinking that you ve made some sense. It is wrong that u ve persistently shown your animosity and congenital taste of bile for d ppl of a particular region in all your epistles. What Atiku is endorsing here is consistent with Ojukwu position pre-civil war during d Aburi Accord in Ghana where he proposed confederation with a central govt. Awolowo agreed only to renege while back in Nigeria and d Gowon govt settling his betrayal prowess with position of Finance Minister and his subsequent confiscation of all d money of d 5% constituents who survived d starvation and d release of only 20pounds irrespective of how much u had in d Nigerian banks. This was how d seed of discord was sown and whatever we are getting now d unavoidable fruits. Confederation failed then and there is no guarantee it will succeed now cos of our saboteur brethren. Atiku has moved a notch higher now to be d first from d North that is advising a renegotiation of d union of which divorce is an option thru a referendum .The first step in renegotiating a marriage is whether or not d union will remain ( by referendum) and if in d affirmative then d terms. No body is intimidating or blackmailing d FG but u dont treat a section of a country as conquered territory and expect to have peace. It is gratifying to observe DAT while NL mods are doing everything to censor the use of d Byafra word, it has rather become d metaphor for all d marginalized/suppressed voices as succinctly captioned in d title of this book 'We Are All Biafran' reminding us we are all victims of d obvious injustices as obtainable in this Lord Lugard contraption. The only sense u made is that this altruistic 'wailing' revelation coming from Atiku that it is suspicious.

53 Likes 10 Shares

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 8:51pm On May 31, 2016
Atiku is now making sense.
But he was vice president for 8 years and couldn't do nothing to make sure such happen.

True federalism, let every states or region manage/control their resources.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Must Renegotiate Our Union To Make It Strong -- Atiku by omenka(m): 8:56pm On May 31, 2016
Candyrain:

Hahahaha, actually for u to take time to type about this people u so love to hate, it means u always think about them. I can't imagine how much they torment ur soul, torment ur very existence. Keep it up boy, its good to know they are always in ur thought tormenting and frustrating u. Lolzzzz
I've moved on. You may remain stock back there though. See how excited they get when Omenka replies.. cheesy

Well, it's the last you get.. Toodles.. wink

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Asari Dokubo: Peter Obi didn’t achieve anything more than boreholes in Anambra / South Africans Reacts To Their Govt.'s Appology To Nigeria. / Farooq Kperogi: Imo Judicial Abracadabra & Illegalization Of Amotekun Are Linked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.