Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,095 members, 7,814,853 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA (63532 Views)

Lady Narrates Near Crash Experience Onboard An Arik Flight From Lagos To Ghana / Journey To Ghana By Road And My 1 Week Experience Here / 10 Worst Things About Moving Back To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by blacq2009(m): 11:03pm On Jun 16, 2016
Venzal:
Hello guys,

With the current situation of things in the country, I am thinking of shifting base to Ghana for now and watch how things pan out.

I have some questions I'd love travel experts in the house to help me tackle (if you currently leave in Ghana, all the better for me)

1. What documents will I be in need of in the course of this travel.

2. What's the estimated rate for getting good accommodation in Accra - like for over a six month period?

3. We have heard a lot about the power situation over there... is it really all that stable? (because I am into internet marketing).

4. How friendly and peaceful are the folks over there? (very essential as I no like 'kata kata' any day grin)

Please I'd love people familiar with life in Accra, Ghana to drop as much details as possible, so I can make an informed decision and know how to prepare myself. I'd be really grateful for your valued input.

God bless in anticipation.

P.S. Please no snide remarks/comments on this thread, please. Thanks
I'll rather you settle at Tamale than Accra. Power supply is much more stable there than it is in Accra and accommodation is less expensive. Peace too is assured. Pm me for more gists.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by evy1(m): 11:08pm On Jun 16, 2016
onatisi:
Accra is damm damm expensive .
Very very expensive.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by henrynick(m): 11:22pm On Jun 16, 2016
Venzal:
Thanks for the info and input. I know why you are skeptical about my going there. What I do can get me paid anywhere in the world. Even if every other fails, Fiverr is one of my sources of income. It brings in at least $1k every month. Are you saying that will not be enough to live in peace and comfortably in Accra (which I think your 'fear' stems from)

Look guy....I'm a Ghanaian but born in Nigeria ......just left GH about a week ago......my brother Ghana hard pass Sudan the economy is messed up and the cost of living is expensive compared to Nigeria ....utility bills went up to like 25% I use 10cedis from 6 pm to 7am the next morning which is almost 9k.....water bill nko.....transportation a liter of fuel is 3cedis 90p....that's like 300 naira ....look take it from me I've being in GH for 7 years Ghana is more messed up than Nigeria presently........the only thing you'll enjoy in Ghana is cheap call and data rates that's all any other thing nah zero

4 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Ugosample(m): 11:26pm On Jun 16, 2016
livingoracle:

What they didn't tell you is that feeding in Ghana is hellish. Trust me, you will remember your homeland. A can of Amstel Malt is 4 Ghana Cedis, can you beat that?. Bathroom slippers is 4 Ghana Cedis, Big Eva Bottle water is 2.5 Ghana Cedis. I can list it on and on. Ghana is not what it used to be, things has changed. I don't like Ghana and I mean no insult. Nigeria economy is still very much prettier than that of Ghana. The only country you can compare Nigeria with in Africa is South Africa and I stand to be corrected and open to be instructed. Just prepare to eat their Okra soup with Tilapia fish, Palm nut soup, Kenke, Banku, Tuna fish, etc. O boy, naija food cost wella. You go miss home die, couple with the sun eh! Kwame and Nana go use you eat their breakfast in the morning, even Kojo and Mensa go do fake resident permit for you if you wan open bank account there. Naija boys don spoil GH. Beg no go Circle, Osun, Kole Gono, Labaddin beach, Adabraka, etc for night oo! Achama is a dangerous place for a cool headed guy like you. Let me greet you in a Phanti language, "Akwaaba!".

Ivory Coast can also stand Nigeria too. A visit to four Ivorian cities will make you cover your face in shame for Nigeria.....
And the best part, the city is very cheap

6 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Venzal: 11:30pm On Jun 16, 2016
I'd love to know why you said so...
donsteady:
Better don't come here bro.
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by BuddhaPalm(m): 11:38pm On Jun 16, 2016
@ OP

I am in IM too, and currently live in Accra.

Ghanaians are friendly AF.

At the moment, power is pretty constant (goes off maybe twice per week - for a total of say 6 hrs).

Internet is fast, and costs little.

You can buy Nigerian dishes from Nigerian restaurants or purchase the ingredients (which are readily available) and prepare by yourself.

Ghanaians are relatively tame, gently and very peaceful...

Of course, every human has the capacity for aggression. If you punch even the pope in the mouth, don't be surprised if he returns the favour.

Really, if you've lived in Nigeria for a few years, dealing with an average Ghanaian is not dissimilar to dealing with a fluffy puppy.

Also, Accra is safe as fvck. Even oyibo dey waka, on foot, dey go everywhere. Even, you'd hardly see armed security in Banks. Na all those "Boy Scout" security that assist in parking cars wey dey plenty. Bank doors sef na just those retractable metal protectors (and they won't shaft you by paying you less for your $).

Short-term (monthly) accommodation is PLENTIFUL. Just go to either Tonaton.com or www.olx.xom.gh and search for "furnished" (under Greater Accra).

If you're the type of person that doesn't like stress, you'd certainly love it here.

You could test run for a bit, and see how it goes.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by iamord(m): 11:44pm On Jun 16, 2016
HKCOMPANY:
What of opening a Nigerian restaurants there ?
first go and do your feasibility study before you think of that

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Venzal: 11:44pm On Jun 16, 2016
shocked shocked Thanks for the heads up and sorry about your ordeal
Anglovel:

Accra is a tough place .ghana is hard . Ghana is good for artisans and gainfully employed ppl. But for what the guy says he wants to do,he may run back to naija after sometime. There are better countries than Ghana which will suit him better but I think he should go there for week and talk to people on ground there I lived ther for 5yrs as a rtd magt bought my own house in east legon opened a large restaurant/bar sent all my 5kis top a religious sch in accra relocated back to naija in 2011 Y Ghanaians can be nicer than nig if u hve dollars to spend n once u r broke,they hve NO mercy for a Nigerian They hate us pls no offence n they can robe u blind n even kill u! I left my Nissan Pathfinder JeeP locked wth d keys wth me n in under d care of a ghanaian Lawyer(am an old lawyer by d way)he broke into d jeep,sold it n prayed I never return to claim my jeep,its now wth d CID hq accra for investigation,d lawyer confessed to selling my jeep n d CID are yet to prosecute him or recover my jeep,its one whole year now! Dats just putting it mildly,pls my son don't relocate to ghana just visit n do business time to time from Naila plsssss. My kids r schooling there since they r fluent in Twi language bt me,Never! I visit monthly n enjoy farming here in lugbe abuja as for ur ICT business u r better off here because u will have a huge clientelle here infact don't invest heavily there because u will come back empty handed!forget abt babes,light etc pls They Hate Nigerians Period! Be very careful Ghanaians r full of Guile"Slow n Steady!Good luck! u a
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by V0lv0(f): 11:47pm On Jun 16, 2016
Coming from a real ghanaian woman and not a fake wannabe. The truth is ghana is tough, things are expensive and ghana has a higher cost of living then nigeria.

I believe the best advice is from onatisi. He has said it loud and clear.

If you are an artisan or employed and have stable income then ghana will be best for you but if you are planning to go to ghana just to hustle or to do yahoo Yahoo then you better stay back in Naija.

I believe the best thing to do is to visit ghana and see how its like and perhaps Togo then you can decide what you want to do.

Ghanaians are friendly and hospitable but it also depends on your approach. If you are going to be rude , insultive and condescending then don't expect a good response

Also yes we tend to be a bit skeptical when Nigerians are involved but if you are good person doing legit business then all will be well.

Wish you the best of luck with your relocation if you do decide to move to Ghana

10 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Fadahunsi(m): 11:54pm On Jun 16, 2016
AzontoGhost:

3000 Ghanaian cedis = 152502.5882
Nigerian naira

Just carry like #230k cos our naira no too get value for their GHç side unlike before
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Venzal: 11:57pm On Jun 16, 2016
Thanks for your input
henrynick:

Look guy....I'm a Ghanaian but born in Nigeria ......just left GH about a week ago......my brother Ghana hard pass Sudan the economy is messed up and the cost of living is expensive compared to Nigeria ....utility bills went up to like 25% I use 10cedis from 6 pm to 7am the next morning which is almost 9k.....water bill nko.....transportation a liter of fuel is 3cedis 90p....that's like 300 naira ....look take it from me I've being in GH for 7 years Ghana is more messed up than Nigeria presently........the only thing you'll enjoy in Ghana is cheap call and data rates that's all any other thing nah zero
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by coachwilcox(m): 12:03am On Jun 17, 2016
Guy..I live here and I can say from experience that its messed up...the economy slowly sucks all your cash for basic living expenses and you barely get anything back. Its all hype. The power supply thing and relative safety is a plus tho but asides that, forget it.

By the way, I am interested in becoming an internet marketer...fiverr, amazon publishing and all that. Can you teach me?
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Venzal: 12:05am On Jun 17, 2016
V0lv0:
Coming from a real ghanaian woman and not a fake wannabe. The truth is ghana is tough, things are expensive and ghana has a higher cost of living then nigeria.

I believe the best advice is from onatisi. He has said it loud and clear.

If you are an artisan or employed and have stable income then ghana will be best for you but if you are planning to go to ghana just to hustle or to do yahoo Yahoo then you better stay back in Naija.

I believe the best thing to do is to visit ghana and see how its like and perhaps Togo then you can decide what you want to do.

Ghanaians are friendly and hospitable but it also depends on your approach. If you are going to be rude , insultive and condescending then don't expect a good response

Also yes we tend to be a bit skeptical when Nigerians are involved but if you are good person doing legit business then all will be well.

Wish you the best of luck with your relocation if you do decide to move to Ghana
Thank you for the heads up. I guess the best thing is to do a test run like someone up there said.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Venzal: 12:06am On Jun 17, 2016
Send a PM...
coachwilcox:
Guy..I live here and I can say from experience that its messed up...the economy slowly sucks all your cash for basic living expenses and you barely get anything back. Its all hype. The power supply thing and relative safety is a plus tho but asides that, forget it.

By the way, I am interested in becoming an internet marketer...fiverr, amazon publishing and all that. Can you teach me?
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Venzal: 12:07am On Jun 17, 2016
Thanks for your input bro. You've made a lot of points
BuddhaPalm:
@ OP

I am in IM too, and currently live in Accra.

Ghanaians are friendly AF.

At the moment, power is pretty constant (goes off maybe twice per week - for a total of say 6 hrs).

Internet is fast, and costs little.

You can buy Nigerian dishes from Nigerian restaurants or purchase the ingredients (which are readily available) and prepare by yourself.

Ghanaians are relatively tame, gently and very peaceful...

Of course, every human has the capacity for aggression. If you punch even the pope in the mouth, don't be surprised if he returns the favour.

Really, if you've lived in Nigeria for a few years, dealing with an average Ghanaian is not dissimilar to dealing with a fluffy puppy.

Also, Accra is safe as fvck. Even oyibo dey waka, on foot, dey go everywhere. Even, you'd hardly see armed security in Banks. Na all those "Boy Scout" security that assist in parking cars wey dey plenty. Bank doors sef na just those retractable metal protectors (and they won't shaft you by paying you less for your $).

Short-term (monthly) accommodation is PLENTIFUL. Just go to either Tonaton.com or www.olx.xom.gh and search for "furnished" (under Greater Accra).

If you're the type of person that doesn't like stress, you'd certainly love it here.

You could test run for a bit, and see how it goes.
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by ruggedtimi(m): 12:36am On Jun 17, 2016
Venzal:
Hello guys,

With the current situation of things in the country, I am thinking of shifting base to Ghana for now and watch how things pan out.

I have some questions I'd love travel experts in the house to help me tackle (if you currently leave in Ghana, all the better for me)

1. What documents will I be in need of in the course of this travel.

2. What's the estimated rate for getting good accommodation in Accra - like for over a six month period?

3. We have heard a lot about the power situation over there... is it really all that stable? (because I am into internet marketing).

4. How friendly and peaceful are the folks over there? (very essential as I no like 'kata kata' any day grin)

Please I'd love people familiar with life in Accra, Ghana to drop as much details as possible, so I can make an informed decision and know how to prepare myself. I'd be really grateful for your valued input.

God bless in anticipation.

P.S. Please no snide remarks/comments on this thread, please. Thanks
security and power supply ok....bt economic weey worst dan nigeria bro.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Ussyberry(m): 12:40am On Jun 17, 2016
Instead of Ghana , move to São Tomé & Príncipe
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by popizaino(m): 1:20am On Jun 17, 2016
Ugosample:

Ivory Coast can also stand Nigeria too. A visit to four Ivorian cities will make you cover your face in shame for Nigeria.....
And the best part, the city is very cheap
I agree with you on abidjan. infact it does not only stand a chance it's way better than naija.all we know how to do is worship mediocrity.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Nobody: 1:23am On Jun 17, 2016
in all bro take your decisions wisely wish you the best of life

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Nobody: 2:14am On Jun 17, 2016
onatisi:

This calculation is misleading and wrong. I dont want to sound pessimistic about the guy moving to Ghana ,but I think it is advisable he goes to Ghana for a week before moving and of which I am sure he will change his mind. I am off to my politics section
I always advice people to do pilot test like you said before they move to a new country, because the word frying pan to fire is actually real.
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by WHYUS: 3:00am On Jun 17, 2016
evy1:
grin ;DBy the time OP withdraw 50 cedis come spend am,no fit account for wetin him.buy
Bro Ghana is not what it use to be before.

Am sure u based in Ghana cos u are giving first hand info
@OP d economy in Ghana isn't friendly at all especially if u are staying in Accra, when u convert d things u buy into naira u will be disappointed a lot
For accommodation be ready to pay 150 to 200cedis a month for a room self contain except u want a single room where u hv to share toilet
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by WHYUS: 3:13am On Jun 17, 2016
Anglovel:

Accra is a tough place .ghana is hard . Ghana is good for artisans and gainfully employed ppl. But for what the guy says he wants to do,he may run back to naija after sometime. There are better countries than Ghana which will suit him better but I think he should go there for week and talk to people on ground there I lived ther for 5yrs as a rtd magt bought my own house in east legon opened a large restaurant/bar sent all my 5kis top a religious sch in accra relocated back to naija in 2011 Y Ghanaians can be nicer than nig if u hve dollars to spend n once u r broke,they hve NO mercy for a Nigerian They hate us pls no offence n they can robe u blind n even kill u! I left my Nissan Pathfinder JeeP locked wth d keys wth me n in under d care of a ghanaian Lawyer(am an old lawyer by d way)he broke into d jeep,sold it n prayed I never return to claim my jeep,its now wth d CID hq accra for investigation,d lawyer confessed to selling my jeep n d CID are yet to prosecute him or recover my jeep,its one whole year now! Dats just putting it mildly,pls my son don't relocate to ghana just visit n do business time to time from Naila plsssss. My kids r schooling there since they r fluent in Twi language bt me,Never! I visit monthly n enjoy farming here in lugbe abuja as for ur ICT business u r better off here because u will have a huge clientelle here infact don't invest heavily there because u will come back empty handed!forget abt babes,light etc pls They Hate Nigerians Period! Be very careful Ghanaians r full of Guile"Slow n Steady!Good luck! u

U hv said it all sir, Ghanaians are not so nice people like most Nigerians think, a Ghanaian landlord beat up my friend cos he brought his friend over the case was reported to d police nd they did nothing about it
the way my Ghanaians hostel mates dealt with we Nigerians in hostel I can never forget

3 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by WHYUS: 3:26am On Jun 17, 2016
ekefre4:
Oga which bank do you use? I'm also in Accra and that's not correct @ all
As in about 6wks ago Zenith bank charged me 51k for 500cedis,
Ecobank is about 10k for 100 to 110cedis
Currently I think GTB rate is d best @ 80naira for 1cedi
Unless u won't be getting cash thru ATM withdrawal

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by WHYUS: 3:32am On Jun 17, 2016
nowornever2016:
100cedi To Naira Pls Somebody Tell Me,

it's 10k
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by evy1(m): 3:48am On Jun 17, 2016
WHYUS:

Am sure u based in Ghana cos u are giving first hand info
@OP d economy in Ghana isn't friendly at all especially if u are staying in Accra, when u convert d things u buy into naira u will be disappointed a lot
For accommodation be ready to pay 150 to 200cedis a month for a room self contain except u want a single room where u hv to share toilet
Yea,exchange rate is not even smiling on us at all.
I stay in accra.
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Tedassie(m): 3:59am On Jun 17, 2016
iamord:
lol.. Then Lagos is on a mountain top??
Lol.Gh is as prone to flood as Lagos despite having better drainage systems in comparison,yeah?
#myopinionsha
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by iamord(m): 4:40am On Jun 17, 2016
Tedassie:

Lol.Gh is as prone to flood as Lagos despite having better drainage systems in comparison,yeah?
#myopinionsha

and you are not far from the truth
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by caprini1: 4:41am On Jun 17, 2016
Venzal:
Lol. Why did you say that?
Dude I've lived in GH,....and it was one day back home in naija,that my eyes cleared after church service at MFM..not kidding.
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by nofij(m): 5:16am On Jun 17, 2016
Venzal:
Thanks for your input bro. You've made a lot of points
Good morning. Please can you PM me?
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by dalaman: 5:51am On Jun 17, 2016
gambus007:

i dont understand dis ur suffering nd smiling...am in ghana so i know what am saying.s and s is not the issue bro.i can host u if you wann visit mayb you will understand better.am on scholarship and i earn dollars so am not suffering rather i am smiling but still not happy in ghana

Pls can I have your email address? My brother just got a job in Ghana with a foreign embassy and will need assistance for say a week before he settles down. Let me have your email address please. Thanks
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by SleekAboki: 5:52am On Jun 17, 2016
Venzal:
Thanks for the info and input. I know why you are skeptical about my going there. What I do can get me paid anywhere in the world. Even if every other fails, Fiverr is one of my sources of income. It brings in at least $1k every month. Are you saying that will not be enough to live in peace and comfortably in Accra (which I think your 'fear' stems from)
You would feel at home in GH once you have steady inflow of liquid. I always feel at home in any part of Africa I so decide to experience.

I wonder what you still doing in Naija up till this moment?

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by SleekAboki: 6:07am On Jun 17, 2016
evy1:
Very very expensive.
Expensive is relative. Accra always have something for your pocket.

As a capital city, it's expected that real estate will soar. but I promise you are getting value for money.

Food is cheap.

security okay.

Police force-responsive but prone to collect gifts to soft pedal. Got caught in the red light around east legon and got chased down by one on power bike.

Was in a rush to an appointment so had to persuade the officer and then thank him for his understanding.

I take lots of things for granted in all my journeys and only gets appreciative once I'm back in Naija and experiences her 'uniqueness'

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

NNEWI - The Small Town Of The Super Rich By Forbes Magazine / The Ten Most Notorious Neighbourhoods In Lagos / Man Parks Wrongly At Abuja Airport & Comes Back To Meet This Crazy Note

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.