Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,849 members, 7,820,960 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? (47378 Views)

Nigerian Husband Brutalizes His Pretty Wife As She Seeks For Divorce. Photos / How Much Do You Give Your Parents As Monthly Stipend? / How Many Children Do You Think Is Ideal For A Family In This Current Economy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Project400: 10:42am On Jun 18, 2016
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Onegai(f): 11:11am On Jun 18, 2016
5minsmadness:

I was going to attack your initial post but in seeing this explanation I had a rethink. So is this ^^^^ what ladies mean when they say they want to have a joint account with you? That would be interesting. I thot it was more like both of you pay your whole salaries into the account.

A joint account depends on what you and your spouse decide. Either you pay whole or part of salaries and payments into it. It's a way of holding both parties accountable and not keeping secrets. I know a lady who insisted on a Joint account with her husband, because he was a spendthrift. He splits his salary into the Joint and his personal savings. He runs through his money quicker (he pays for house things from his from time to time) but they also have that backup savings in the Joint (for emergencies). She has never mentioned it to his face that he's a spendthrift (she did once, but the fight that followed nearly ended their marriage).

Banjolek's wife is not evil and she's not a spendthrift. She saves half of her salary and is planning a second business. That doesn't sound like a spendthrift. What she's suffering from is hearing or seeing a lot of bad stories about husbands and money (she may even had read them here from #TeamHousewivesAreSuffering grin). So she's making some fundamental mistakes. People give newlyweds a lot of shockingly bad advice that makes them adversaries rather than partners.

The best way to solve this issue is to show her, don't tell her.

Thats why the Joint account will show her clearly how much of her husband's salary is going where and it will make it clear that he is all for providing for his and her family first and is not going to keep financial secrets from her. Rather than telling her continuously. He should also just casually mention how he had to do stuff like eat bole or some cheap snack at work because he had no money. He should stop starching his native to church or taking them to the drycleaners and go "mehn i can't afford it but you please go ahead and get your hair done". Feel free to follow her to church looking slightly shabby. Which sensible spouse (who is looking to get compliments like "oh your hubby is shining, well done o!"wink won't start noticing the correlation between his spending, his poverty and her demands?

If in 2 months' time, Banjolek doesn't see her subtly adjusting her mindset and offering to pay for things, then he can go loco. That is why most women end up being in charge of the Joint account and most are prudent with it.

Words don't sway people, actions do.

This is what I originally wanted to type at first, OP. But Baby E was doing head stands (i don't understand why a 1 year old acts like she does) so I had to attend to her and write a short summary. You decide what you wanna do.
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Dyt(f): 11:16am On Jun 18, 2016
5minsmadness:

Discretion. Not desecration.
Runs away**

Honestly I just noticed this
Ose

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Dyt(f): 11:40am On Jun 18, 2016
Onegai:

. But Baby E was doing head stands (i don't understand why a 1 year old acts like she does)

Leave baby E oo
Its her time
Too much calcium niyen
Leaf internet alone too
cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by banjolek: 11:52am On Jun 18, 2016
Onegai:

A joint account depends on what you and your spouse decide. Either you pay whole or part of salaries and payments into it. It's a way of holding both parties accountable and not keeping secrets. I know a lady who insisted on a Joint account with her husband, because he was a spendthrift. He splits his salary into the Joint and his personal savings. He runs through his money quicker (he pays for house things from his from time to time) but they also have that backup savings in the Joint (for emergencies). She has never mentioned it to his face that he's a spendthrift (she did once, but the fight that followed nearly ended their marriage).

Banjolek's wife is not evil and she's not a spendthrift. She saves half of her salary and is planning a second business. That doesn't sound like a spendthrift. What she's suffering from is hearing or seeing a lot of bad stories about husbands and money (she may even had read them here from #TeamHousewivesAreSuffering grin). So she's making some fundamental mistakes. People give newlyweds a lot of shockingly bad advice that makes them adversaries rather than partners.

The best way to solve this issue is to show her, don't tell her.

Thats why the Joint account will show her clearly how much of her husband's salary is going where and it will make it clear that he is all for providing for his and her family first and is not going to keep financial secrets from her. Rather than telling her continuously. He should also just casually mention how he had to do stuff like eat bole or some cheap snack at work because he had no money. He should stop starching his native to church or taking them to the drycleaners and go "mehn i can't afford it but you please go ahead and get your hair done". Feel free to follow her to church looking slightly shabby. Which sensible spouse (who is looking to get compliments like "oh your hubby is shining, well done o!"wink won't start noticing the correlation between his spending, his poverty and her demands?

If in 2 months' time, Banjolek doesn't see her subtly adjusting her mindset and offering to pay for things, then he can go loco. That is why most women end up being in charge of the Joint account and most are prudent with it.

Words don't sway people, actions do.

This is what I originally wanted to type at first, OP. But Baby E was doing head stands (i don't understand why a 1 year old acts like she does) so I had to attend to her and write a short summary. You decide what you wanna do.

Your sense of reasoning is exemplary will definitely use some of your ideas.

@ baby E, that's a sign of a healthy one, kudos.
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by cococandy(f): 12:29pm On Jun 18, 2016
Summary. Save. Save. Save. Times are hard.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Onegai(f): 12:39pm On Jun 18, 2016
Dyt and Banjolek, please stop making excuses for that child. Her day of reckoning is coming! Just let us have one more night of 2.30am to 4.43am nite of dancing from her. You will read what happens on NL frontpage angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by TV01(m): 12:51pm On Jun 18, 2016
Kimoni:
TV01 - I don't think joint account is for every family. In my opinion, families must be on the same page when it comes to financial goals and responsibilities before they can make a success of joint account. If not, one parties suffers and frustration sets in on the long run.
In OP's case, I do not think his family is ready for it, there is no harmony yet in that aspect of their life. From the look of things, he will be on the receiving side of things if they go for joint account. #mythots
Hi Kim,

I agree - we don't have a joint account, as it would make little or no difference to how we manage the finances.

But to be clear, a joint account does not mean 1 account between them. This is one for their long-term planning(the land, the house, her business, emergencies etc.), something they both "own". Wifey needs a change of mindset and to see their finances as a combined whole - this will help towards that. He will still manage all his incomeand have more insight - transparency - into hers.

fem29:
Thanks oga TV01 for the mention. Though we do not always agree, you are usually logical.

Please don't advise poster to ask his wife to bring money ooo cheesy. She is asking for a stipend and it will be unwise for him to say not only are you not getting one, you need to bring money towards family finances .

That will be the beginning of world war 5 in his house. Wisdom is profitable to direct.
Holá Fem29, I think your pointer is key.

The OP wants transparency no? If his wife is spending half her salary as she wishes, saving half of which he has no sight, and demanding a stipend, where us the transparency?

And I hear you about pushing this through "all of a sudden". I was - I hope - clear about "not rushing" and taking "baby steps". Fundamentally madams mindset is not as expansive as it should be, but oga's approach also needs a re-think.

He needs to have a vision of how their finances should be and work with - and as I mentioned "encourage" - her towards that. I don't subscribe resorting to "cunny" ways, or pandering to get her to be where she needs to be; that never ends.

A man has to be able to share his thoughts about strategy and vision. If wifey has competing or better ideas, share on, if not, implement. If fear of a backlash means he hesitates or try's to "game" her, I would question his standing. Give it time, yes, be reasoned, yes,be gentle, yes, but something has to happen.

Sometimes in marriage, hard choices and tough calls have to be made. If it's a well-reasoned and important battle, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Bro needs to set the tone. If they fail to get the land, build the house, or start the business, or just do so way later than planned, the buck stops with him.

Ekú weekend.

TV
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Dyt(f): 12:52pm On Jun 18, 2016
Onegai:
Dyt and Banjolek, please stop making excuses for that child. Her day of reckoning is coming! Just let us have one more night of 2.30am to 4.43am nite of dancing from her. You will read what happens on NL frontpage angry angry angry

Hehehehe
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Chuksemi(m): 7:54pm On Jun 18, 2016
Onegai:

Hello ma. How is baby E? How is hubby too? I am a big fan of yours and a follower ma. I really need your thoughts on this www.nairaland.com/3173867/letter-potential-undergraduates . Thank you.
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by K9blunt(f): 10:07pm On Jun 18, 2016
fem29:

I'm sorry but I think you guys are being silly. Are you in the process of building a house?.Do you have land?. Do you want to be a tenant forever?. In this harsh economy you are just talking about spend spend spend. Look it is better for you to use your early years to work and build so that you do not struggle when you are old.

Tell ya wifey:- honey any extra monies I have, I am using to build OUR house. If you are already saving towards
That, add the 20k that you were contemplating giving your wife to the funds. Also please cut right down on giving family money and let her know that. Thank God you have a good job but as far as I am concerned you are not yet established till you stop paying rent.

This is the best advice here!
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Nobody: 3:31am On Jun 19, 2016
i think she have seen you're extravagant with money, simple
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by bukatyne(f): 8:46pm On Jun 19, 2016
@banjolek:

The fact you are asking us how much you should give your wife as stipend means you think she is entitled to it.

Working backwards, what agreement did you both have pre-marriage?

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jun 19, 2016
50 shillings and she'll like it grin

2 Likes

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by JoeCutie(m): 10:09pm On Jun 19, 2016
At first I thought it was a full time housewife. But here you're talking about someone who, like you, is working. In a bank? With a salary of #150,000? And you're still proposing a monthly stipend? Say wetin happen? Op are you even mad?

See, you can assist your wife (and vise versa) financially when need be, but to make it a monthly routine? In the name of stipend? Rubbish! Does she work for you? Before you start talking about being the husband and head of the family, remember this and never forget it: You're partners!

I'm sorry, Op, but your wife is a greedy and selfish woman. Let me just stop here before I spew what you won't like. She isn't a good wife. Nonsense!
undecided

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by cutiesaint1(m): 10:09pm On Jun 19, 2016
misreal:
very very very good advice here..op, come and take food here.eat this one till you belle full.
I fear dat woman o. 75k+20k=95k and yet she is not satisfy. A reasonable woman will build a home for his family not spending money like ....., am afraid she is not a wife material .
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by damiandammy(m): 10:12pm On Jun 19, 2016
women have financial intelligence just give her that 20k you will be surprised when she finally unveil what she has been doing with the money in the nearest future
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jun 19, 2016
where are the NL feminists? they have eluded this topic hahaha. Op just agree the normal minimum wage biko. sweet talk her, yes! they are gullible like that. you cannot kill yourself.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Olumaeme: 10:15pm On Jun 19, 2016
If she is a feminist and always shouting gender equality give her nothing
But if she is a wonderful woman, give her according to your pocket, for me 30% of your salary is fine...
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jun 19, 2016
Sire, I will tell it to your face, that 20k is too small, too small. Do you know how much tomatoes goes for now? Or meat? I suggest you add like 15k minimum, and you could be smart by telling her she will have to be in charge of buying all food stuffs.. You shouldn't even be handling that, cos it will be very expensive for you at the long run.. so I suggest you propose to her that you want her to run the house, and she should give you an estimate.. You then negotiate this estimate, and give her the bulk sum.. and everyone is happy.. Believe me, she will be adding a lot of her money every month to make up, but won't be bold enough to come ask for a raise, because you guys have reached an agreement...don't mind peeps here telling you to say you are the man, for where? You can't win this battle if you go that route.. All the best..

3 Likes

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Bluffly: 10:16pm On Jun 19, 2016
Azinganga:
Endure this crazy demand of hers and pray to have children first.When children comes, she will start to see herself then as a stakeholder and must contribute financially even for your domestic needs.Women are supposed to be helpmeets and not extortionists.A helper should really help.
Children or no children, if you have value you have it, if you are reasonable, you are. He needs to be prayerful with his marriage, when a wife makes such demands, means she could be easily tempted to look out for more. every Human being has an insatiable want and if not checked, one gets disatisfied and wants more at every given opportunity.
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by frisky2good(m): 10:19pm On Jun 19, 2016
Why did you start from 20k? You should have made her beg for monthly stipend then you start with 5k. Some men don't even earn up to 50k monthly and they have children. Don't they manage?

banjolek:
Hello guys,

I need your honest opinion on this, how much is really ideal to give one's wife as monthly pocket money?.

Here's my story, i recently got married and also moved to a new 3 bedroom apartment around gbagada. I earn a pretty decent income while my wife also works in the bank with a salary of like 150k. She saves a half of this salary and uses the remaining for upkeep.

Now the issue is my wife insists that i must give her monthly pocket money and i have proposed 20k, an amount i feel is more than adequate for her if added to about 75k which she already has to herself from her salary. Also note that this 20k does not mean i dont get to buy her random stuff during the month or provide anything she asks for if i feel its a reasonable demand.

A1so bear in mind that i am still 100% responsible for providing food and other bills in the house. In addition we just moved to a new apartment like i mentioned earlier and still in the process of furnishing it so a chunk of my monthly salary goes into furnishing the house.

We also have a plan to set up a business for her, so i'm also currently saving part of my salary to fulfill that dream.

Now my wife has rejected the proposed amount of 20k saying its too small.

I need your take on this people, considering all i have mentioned above, is 20k really too small to be giving her monthly?

i wrote this in a hurry, please bear with any typo observed.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jun 19, 2016
5minsmadness:

I was going to attack your initial post but in seeing this explanation I had a rethink. So is this ^^^^ what ladies mean when they say they want to have a joint account with you? That would be interesting. I thot it was more like both of you pay your whole salaries into the account.

The idea of joint account is absurd to me, and even if I did, it won't be my total salary, I prefer some things to be in secrecy. I thought women want feminism shouldn't shit be 50-50
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Bluffly: 10:22pm On Jun 19, 2016
valacious:
Sire, I will tell it to your face, that 20k is too small, too small. Do you know how much tomatoes goes for now? Or meat? I suggest you add like 15k minimum, and you could be smart by telling her she will have to be in charge of buying all food stuffs.. You shouldn't even be handling that, cos it will be very expensive for you at the long run.. so I suggest you propose to her that you want her to run the house, and she should give you an estimate.. You then negotiate this estimate, and give her the bulk sum.. and everyone is happy.. Believe me, she will be adding a lot of her money every month to make up, but won't be bold enough to come ask for a raise, because you guys have reached an agreement... All the best..
Did you read the post well. He said, the 20k is for her pocket money and not for meals

Now the issue is my wife insists that i must give her monthly pocket money and i have proposed 20k, an amount i feel is more than adequate for her if added to about 75k which she already has to herself from her salary. Also note that this 20k does not mean i dont get to buy her random stuff during the month or provide anything she asks for if i feel its a reasonable demand.

A1so bear in mind that i am still 100% responsible for providing food and other bills in the house. In addition we just moved to a new apartment like i mentioned earlier and still in the process of furnishing it so a chunk of my monthly salary goes into furnishing the house.

We also have a plan to set up a business for her, so i'm also currently saving part of my salary to fulfill that dream.

For me, she is not behaving like an help meet at all. This guy is in trouble, if he looses his job
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by histemple: 10:25pm On Jun 19, 2016
fem29:

I'm sorry but I think you guys are being silly. Are you in the process of building a house?.Do you have land?. Do you want to be a tenant forever?. In this harsh economy you are just talking about spend spend spend. Look it is better for you to use your early years to work and build so that you do not struggle when you are old.

Tell ya wifey:- honey any extra monies I have, I am using to build OUR house. If you are already saving towards
That, add the 20k that you were contemplating giving your wife to the funds. Also please cut right down on giving family money and let her know that. Thank God you have a good job but as far as I am concerned you are not yet established till you stop paying rent.

What is difficult in advising the OP without insulting the family (You really think they are SILLY) ?
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Bollinger(m): 10:25pm On Jun 19, 2016
byvan03:
She is working, I don't know why she is so interested in a stipend when you foot all the bills. She strikes me as greedy, she should be grateful. If she is not accepting the 20k, keep as part of your savings. Don't go trying to convince her to accept it anymore, you give your people money and it's a problem to her? When she isn't lacking? Some women sha.

Good point. This is why it further confuses me when women talk about equality. How can you be equal to someone who feeds and take care of you? Anyone see the irony in that? I'm all for equality but there must be eqaul responsibilities as well.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Sobeautiful: 10:25pm On Jun 19, 2016
[quote author=Onegai post=46656666]

She hides her salary from her husband and demands money too. Because he acts "funny" when he knows she has money or she gave a loan and he found out.
Hahahaaaaaa! Marriage Wahala!
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Bluffly: 10:25pm On Jun 19, 2016
Olumaeme:
If she is a feminist and always shouting gender equality give her nothing
But if she is a wonderful woman, give her according to your pocket, for me 30% of your salary is fine...

30% for her to squander or to build the home.
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by kosons(m): 10:26pm On Jun 19, 2016
banjolek:
Hello guys,

I need your honest opinion on this, how much is really ideal to give one's wife as monthly pocket money?.

Here's my story, i recently got married and also moved to a new 3 bedroom apartment around gbagada. I earn a pretty decent income while my wife also works in the bank with a salary of like 150k. She saves a half of this salary and uses the remaining for upkeep.

I need your take on this people, considering all i have mentioned above, is 20k really too small to be giving her monthly?

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by sweetcocoa(f): 10:27pm On Jun 19, 2016
Yomieluv:
Even my wife that isn't working for now doesn't demand for this.

Make your stand known..what is her money as in salary meant for then.

You finally married that your gf you always talk about and didn't invite nairalanders? Not even pre wedding pictures for us, you not nice. undecided
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by sweetcocoa(f): 10:30pm On Jun 19, 2016
Hmm

OP are you sure you are not one of those men that spend more on outsiders than his own family?

I know why I'm asking o.
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by oodua1stson: 10:31pm On Jun 19, 2016
banjolek:
Hello guys,

nonsense

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ladies What Will You Do In This Situation? / Okada Man's Wife Gives Birth To Triplets In Delta After Welcoming Twins. Photo / Namibian Man Creates Baby Saver Box For Unplanned Pregnancy And Unwanted Babies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.