Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? (41039 Views)

"For Better For Worse" Is It Supposed To Be Used During Vow? / Polygamy - Insatiable Desire For Multiple Wives / Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Talk2nanro(m): 10:04pm On Jun 21, 2016
leoebhos:

Romans 7:1-3. You want to quote the bible your own way you are free to do so but this is what the bible says. Settle the rest and let them go. The first wife is the only recongnised one by the biblem
u have shallow understanding. a woman that has a husband that is married to 5 women, is he still not husband to each of them. you refer to a scripture that does not have a direct answer to the issue . now let me give u an eye opener, from what is written in 1 Timothy 3 vs 2, u can deduce that there were polygamist within the christian faith but for the post of bishop, a polygamist should not fill the role.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by OHOnairaland: 10:05pm On Jun 21, 2016
Matthew 19:4-6
And it is mandatory, if he must make heaven. It is preached every service in my church.

for ur ifo, Jesus was addressing the issue of devorce and not polygamy in ur so called bible reference.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Jay542(m): 10:06pm On Jun 21, 2016
Millerz:
The bible only sanctions marriage between one man and one woman. Jesus made Eve for Adam, not Eves for Adam. That God allowed it in times past doesnt mean God ordained it. Same way God allows people kill other people, it doesn't mean its sanctioned by him.

You are to have one wife and not to divorce her except for adultery. A polygamist who has just come to Christ must divorce his other wives because what we call polygamy is actually adultery.
If thats what the bible says, then the bible isnt being fair to the other wives. Even if the bible does not have a direct answer to this question you should use common sense. God pardoned it to previous prophet then this one too would be pardoned.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Myde4naija(m): 10:07pm On Jun 21, 2016
nairalandankrah:
. A Christian Is Not Just Someone That Doesn't Go To A Mosque.A Christ -ian, Is Someone That Behaves Like Jesus And Will Always Act, Talk And Behave Like Him No Matter The Situation They Find Themselves. that's how the name was gotten in the first place.
Now For Someone Who Lived In Polygamy, But,Eventually Chooses To Accept Jesus &Sincerely Becomes A Christian, Such A Person Must Have Also Decided To Live By The Doctrines And Practice Of Jesus Christ As Enshrined In The Bible. Jesus alone Is The Way To HEAVEN NOT SOLOMON or DAVID, follow jesus! if he says one wife then that is the standard.at death,ignorance is no longer an excuse before God so, now that we are still alive is the only opportunity we have to make ammends for wrongs done.. But If You Think Sacking The Other Women Is A Difficult And Hard Pin To Swallow, Then Wait Until You Find Yourself @ GODS JUDGEMENT
you are so emphatic in mentioning Jesus, did Jesus married to anyone? If we are to behave, act talk like Jesus, no one should get married not to talk of making babies.

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by iPopAlomo(m): 10:08pm On Jun 21, 2016
kingofthesouth:
I have not seen any where in the bible where God condemed poiygamy except 1 timoty 3:2 but here he was refering to pastors and bishops

1 Timothy 3:2 King James Version (KJV)
A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

. Abraham had a wife, and then he married her maid (Genesis 16:2-4); Jacob married Leah and Rachel (Gen.29:23-30; 31:17; 32:22) and then he married Leah and Rachel's handmaids, Zilbah and Bilhahand (Genesis 30:1-24; 37:2); Judge Gideon had many wives and a concubine (Judges 8:30-31); Elkanah married Hannah and Peninnah (1 Sam.1:2); David married Abigail and Ahinoam (1 Sam.25:42-43; 30:18), then later took more wives (2 Sam.5:13) at Jerusalem (1 Chron.14:3); In 2 Sam.12:7-8,God gave David these multiple wivesas a blessing, just as anointing him as king over Israel, protecting him from Saul, and giving him the house of Israel and Judah were also blessings from Him; King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines

King Solomon Baba... twale... my role model... grin
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by mrZENographer: 10:08pm On Jun 21, 2016
pee777:

You have said it all. ROM 8:1 ...no condemnation to them that are in Christ.

Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? God forbid.

For so many christians, their problem is the worldly churches they've been attending.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by larrytorch(m): 10:08pm On Jun 21, 2016
egojiokwu:

That was his weakest point that we all should learn from. Once you are not satisfied with one wife, then you can not be satisfied with 100 wives. If you marry short one today, tomorrow you may want to go for tall one. If you married fair one today, tomorrow you may want to go for the black. If you marry the one that doesn't talk, tomorrow you may want to go for a talkative.

Why is everyone shying away from the real situation ? The man has married these wives already b4 coming to the lord. Don't you think sending the other wives packing is evil and wicked ?

Everyone is merely quoting scriptures that doesn't explain this scenario.

Sending the other wives can be very costly. Let me give you reasons
1 The other wives might frown at the religion that cost them their place in their husband's home. As Christians, we should be winning souls for God and not sending souls away.

2. The children. Do you know whats growing up in a broken home like?. Damn, I bet u have no idea. These children might grow to hate Christianity to the core of their bones.

Why should we break homes, when we can save the whole of the home ? Remember God wants us to win souls

Why should we break a home because of a verse does not clearly describe this scenario?

When God said do not Judge... he has a reason for saying that.

3 Likes

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by OHOnairaland: 10:11pm On Jun 21, 2016
[quote author=ettaetta post=46764065] i dont really understand ? If a man has multiple wives before he becomes a Christian, what is he supposed to do? Divorce others and marry only the first? Dont forget divorce is a sin[/

Do not say devorce is a sin, only say what ur bible says. It says God hates devorce. Do not add ur own to it.

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by harsysky(m): 10:12pm On Jun 21, 2016
For those of you supporting polygamy, I will take y'all serious any time I see a woman marrying two husbands that will live in the same house.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Dhilariousdandy(m): 10:12pm On Jun 21, 2016
histemple:

We may need to ask why King Dave and Solo were God's most loved people in bible history if polygamy was a sin.

That was in the old testament
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by achorladey: 10:12pm On Jun 21, 2016
My study of the Bible taught me that God
does not approve of polygamy. (Genesis 2:18-24; Matthew 19:4-6) In his eyes, only my first marriage was valid. So I legally registered this marriage and
dismissed my other wives, arranging for their
material needs to be met.

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Lifeangel(m): 10:13pm On Jun 21, 2016
If the man wishes to become a minister he'll need restitution, 1Tim.3:1-2,Tit.1:6. But if not he should live with them because the Bible is against divorce Mal.2:116.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by timota(m): 10:13pm On Jun 21, 2016
ettaetta:
what if he married all of them on the same day?
Rembering FELA kuti mass wedding
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by OHOnairaland: 10:15pm On Jun 21, 2016
ettaetta:
i dont really understand ? If a man has multiple wives before he becomes a Christian, what is he supposed to do? Divorce others and marry only the first? Dont forget divorce is a sin

Do not say devorce is a sin, only say what ur bible says. It says God hates devorce. Do not add ur own to it.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by kingfavour(m): 10:16pm On Jun 21, 2016
Here is my view cos this question have been bothering me too...not because i support polygamy but frm all perspectives: 1) After keeping the first wife only, what happened to d remaining wives? abi is nt our concern as christians? (2). the man accepted christ and nt his wives, so frm what angle will he be divorcing them n how wil he convince them and their chiidren to forgive him? (3) if d women later take to d street as a result of d divorce, who is to be blamed? Abi, why dont Jacob be contented Leah alone when he was deceived bt stil married Racheal? So as christian we r meant to bring many to Christ n not sending them away wit our attitudes and behaviours...how will d divorced wives n their children view christianity as a religion? A religion dat separate them frm their family n loved ones or what?
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by santos247(m): 10:17pm On Jun 21, 2016
Quoting Romans 7:1-3 to defend d release or divorce of 2nd and 3rd wife in a polygamy is trying to use the bible to suit your argument. That was not what Paul meant in that passage of the bible either in syntax or context !!!

leoebhos:

Romans 7:1-3 call it whatever u want, the bible condems it
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by tranxo(m): 10:18pm On Jun 21, 2016
frosbel2:

Polygamy is not adultery, lol.

Adultery is stealing another man's wife or another wife's husband. None of this has happened in Polygamy because they remain legitimately married.

Your write up is based on fiction.

If you agree that in the Christian sense, only the first wife is truly his wife, then you should also agree that polygamy is adultery.

Why?

Because adultery is not only when a married man/woman sleeps with another person's wife/husband, it is also when a married person sleeps with someone else that is not his/her spouse. Note that that someone else may be single or married.

Therefore, since only the first wife is truly his wife, sleeping with the other "wives" in a polygamous setting is tantamount to adultery.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by BCJAY(f): 10:22pm On Jun 21, 2016
The law of God cannot be changed he has to make restitution and stay with only the first one he wedded. No two way about it
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Jay542(m): 10:23pm On Jun 21, 2016
frosbel2:

Polygamy is not adultery, lol.

Adultery is stealing another man's wife or another wife's husband. None of this has happened in Polygamy because they remain legitimately married.

Your write up is based on fiction.

its based on ITK. I'm sorry
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Gaskia: 10:24pm On Jun 21, 2016
You may be right on the stands of Christianity but I am certain this may not be the stands of God.

eph12:
Christianity recognises the first wife as the legitimate wife

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by histemple: 10:26pm On Jun 21, 2016
Dhilariousdandy:

That was in the old testament

So, old testament teachings and activities shouldn't be followed abi? Or we should follow them only when it suits us----------because tithing was only in the old and not in the new testament.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by tranxo(m): 10:27pm On Jun 21, 2016
Myde4naija:
you are so emphatic in mentioning Jesus, did Jesus married to anyone? If we are to behave, act talk like Jesus, no one should get married not to talk of making babies.
Acting, talking, and behaving like Jesus does not only stop at the literal meaning. What of his teachings, advice, instructions, commands etc. Did he or did he not support the marriage institution? That he did not marry does not mean that his followers should also not marry. He is God and came to the world as a man on an assignment. His assignment does not include getting married.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by nairalandankrah: 10:28pm On Jun 21, 2016
Myde4naija:
Beloved,are You A Follower Of Jesus?.If You Are, You'd Know That Jesus Christ,Is The Author Of Christianity. If You Remove ~Jesus~, From Christianity,it Becomes Satanity, It Becomes Occultism and the practise of witchcraft. The Bible, Describes Him As The WAY To Heaven, The TRUTH about Heaven, and LIFE ETERNAL..HE is the SON of the most HIGH GOD.. jesus never forbade marriage!! infact according to the bible,xtians are enjoined to marry to prevent fornication. but you must be the husband to one wife and vis/vis.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by eph12(m): 10:28pm On Jun 21, 2016
Gaskia:
You may be right on the stands of Christianity but I am certain this may not be the stands of God.

How do we determine the stands of God?
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by mrZENographer: 10:28pm On Jun 21, 2016
achorladey:
does not approve of polygamy. (Genesis 2:18-24; Matthew 19:4-6) In his eyes, only my first marriage was valid. So I legally registered this marriage and

Larrytorch, Jay542, frosbel2, ettaetta,

[quote author=frosbel2 post=46798102] Polygamy is not adultery, lol.Adultery is stealing another man's wife or another wife's husband. None of this has happened in Polygamy because they remain legitimately married.Your write up is based on fiction. [/Quote]
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by tranxo(m): 10:30pm On Jun 21, 2016
Gaskia:

Lwkmd. Did you just separate God from Christianity? The kain reasoning wey full here sef tire me.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by pee777(m): 10:31pm On Jun 21, 2016
OHOnairaland:

Matthew 19:4-6
And it is mandatory, if he must make heaven. It is preached every service in my church.

for ur ifo, Jesus was addressing the issue of devorce and not polygamy in ur so called bible reference.

Pls no where is it stated that the condition to make heaven is to be a monogamy. The only condition for heaven that I know is for you to accept the free gift of salvation given by Jesus as your Lord and saviour.
Every other issues is just for you to leave a life free of trouble.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by mrZENographer: 10:32pm On Jun 21, 2016
achorladey:

Larrytorch, Jay542, frosbel2, ettaetta

That was from one of the horse's mouth.

.............................................................................................................................................
[quote author=frosbel2 post=46798102] Polygamy is not adultery, lol.Adultery is stealing another man's wife or another wife's husband. None of this has happened in Polygamy because they remain legitimately married.Your write up is based on fiction. [/Quote]
.............................................................................................................................................

Chai when will you grow sense?
Adultery means sleeping with someone outside your legal marriage not necessarily with another married person a.k.a defiling a marriage.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by larrytorch(m): 10:33pm On Jun 21, 2016
indigene:

The law of Christ supersede any tradition that conflicts with his laws that comes from God.
Tradition accepts polygamy, the law of Christ strongly advocates monogamy
Mathew chapter 19 verses 3-8 here Jesus restated to his listeners God's original purpose in respect to marriage. Adam was given one wife Eve not wives.
And no polygamist will ever be accepted or hold any responsibility in the household of Christ 1Timothy 3 Vs 1,2 emphasised verse 2.
Be informed that most second, third or to infinite numbers of wives are not properly married, most of them their dowry are not paid or any known ceremony held
Any polygamist who accepts the laws of Christ should really read Mathew 19 1-8 hence should send other wives away.

I concur to your words and some of ur quotes, except for one thing -sending the wives away. It is obvious that a man that married more than one wife is a flirt before he got born again. According to 1Tim 3:1-2 , 3:1 This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, 'the husband of one wife', vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, "apt to teach". Apt to teach, emphasis was drawn to husband of one wife ( not a flirt or once a flirt which is a feature needed to be a teacher or Bishop).
A flirt or once a flirt can always go astray, I think that's why husband of one wife was mentioned.

1Tim 3: 1 - 2 does not back ur claim.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jun 21, 2016
frosbel2:
The bible has never explicitly mentioned that God is against Polygamy, after all in ancient times many great men of God had multiple wives and God still acknowledged them as righteous.

Also quoting Matthew 19 vs 9 is a misnomer because for starters the MAN did not put away any of his wives, he remained married to them.

What we do know is that God is explicitly against Adultery, i.e sleeping with another man's wife or vice versa and general sexual immorality.

So here is my take, if a man is married to 4 wives and has children with all of them, even when he comes to a knowledge of Christ, there is no biblical verse or command which suggests he should chase 3 wives away and remain with one wife . He should remain with his 4 wives and take care of his children while bringing them to a knowledge of truth.
I think this is the BEST answer here...

2 Likes

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by pee777(m): 10:42pm On Jun 21, 2016
mrZENographer:

Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? God forbid.

For so many christians, their problem is the worldly churches they've been attending.
Will u throw away the bath with the baby? God is love and not amadiora, Christ died even for the worst offenders. Christ also died for the polygamist mind you, if he had taken wrong steps by having multiple women bearing children for him, he now need to show more love by ensuring non suffers after he received Christ rather than the feel of guilt and condemnation that can even lead him to more mistakes. What did Jesus told d woman caught in adultery? If they did not condemn you neither have I, go and sin no more. Putting away d wives n children can even lead to more danger for them. God is not a task master as the pharises and saduces of our generation had made us to believe.

2 Likes

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by idefua: 10:42pm On Jun 21, 2016
The man that has only one wife before he gave his life to Christ, is saved because of his faith in Christ Jesus. Also, the man with more than one wife got saved because of his faith in Christ Jesus. Salvation is a free gift from God and not by good work. Read Romans 4: 1 to the end.
Only the Holy Ghost can direct the polygamous man that has just received salvation on what to do.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Reverend King's Birthday Celebrated On Newspaper By His Church Members (Photos) / What Nigerians Think Of People Who Do NOT Believe In God? / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Not Marry Other ' Christians '?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.