Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,129 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki (24969 Views)

Senators Vote YES for Immunity for NASS members / Why Fayose Should Not Enjoy Immunity For Alleged Corruption -SERAP / Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by DEOLINX: 10:21am On Jun 23, 2016
I watched Channels this morning where a gentleman of the law drew attention to a provision in the constitution that says immunity is absolute and even if a person that enjoys immunity under our constitution commits any crime during the period he enjoys it, he cannot be prosecuted or jailed even after leaving office.

In a nutshell there is no punishment of any kind for anyone that Commits any crime under our immunity law even when he leaves office.

On this basis alone...I think we should all just walk the streets with our hands up in shame as a people if we have created a situation where those who are supposed to be serving us are now god's who can do whatever they like and get away with it.

It is a sad situation where we have put ourselves at the mercies of our lawmakers who now wants immunity to do whatever they like and we are here arguing about any merits of even allowing immunity clause to exist in our constitution.

Immunity clause should just be substituted with impunity clause so we can all be laughed at by more saner peoples of the world.

I'm indeed sad...I think the immunity clause debate should start and end with a resounding No. It should be a topic on its own here.

1 Like

Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by maxzzo1(m): 10:23am On Jun 23, 2016
IykeChukz:
Granting Immunity to Legislative and Judiciary is to crown corruption... It'll be a shield for you corrupt and potential corrupt Leg/Jud thiefs.

For me, we're not ripe for it.

God, Make Buhari stronger because the forces are much in this Country.

How about d executive They are angelz...bullish*t
Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by Nobody: 10:23am On Jun 23, 2016
midolian:
Criminals too want to enjoy immunity... grin grin grin

Now, lemme ask.. If the legislooters enjoy immunity, when will they pay for their sins? Eg..David Mark was SP for 8yrs[if Buhari had not won election, he'ld still be there] and he has been in the Senate for over 16yrs...if we r to wait till he leaves the senate b4 dealing with him, it means we ll wait forever..cos this man wld love to be there till death says otherwise.

Plus, it has been observed with dismay that most of these governors, after spending 8yrs looting their state's treasury, tend "to seek asylum" in the Senate. For goodness sake, imagine these conglomerate of looters having immunity..just imagine it. Not even one of them(SP) is imaginable. angry angry

The Executive(Buhari & co) on the other hand can only be there for a maximum period of 8yrs after which they can pay for their crimes(if any).
if you have any query about David Mark, I guess you know where to seek redress. stop rubbishing peoples name cos of your blind support for the dullard.
Hate hate zombie!
Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by EROMS38(m): 10:24am On Jun 23, 2016
Yes d executive should be stripped of immunity
Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by ricsman(m): 10:24am On Jun 23, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:
The country voted for only two people.... guess who?

Those are the ones that should enjoy immunity.
please edit that ur comment to make more sense... I tell u, I didn't vote for the SP or the CJ. Nigerians only voted for the President in mass.
Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by Nobody: 10:25am On Jun 23, 2016
SeverusSnape:
Yes, Let them all enjoy 'IMMUNITY'.

What is good for executhieves is good for legislathieves.

thieves they all are. You get am bro

1 Like

Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by Deen77: 10:26am On Jun 23, 2016
jmichlins:
Mr face of corruption, we are even thinking about stripping the executive immunity ever since fayose and others showed us the stupidity of that law. No immunity

When we are campaigning for immunity to be remove, Saraki want to expand immunity.

1 Like

Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by Onyemabright(m): 10:27am On Jun 23, 2016
Saraki is a big thief

1 Like

Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by foladara777(m): 10:28am On Jun 23, 2016
This senate president is high on Oshogbo weed... What did we do to get this kind of people as leaders.
Firstly, what is the rationale behind d immunity clause.. Itz to make sure the heads of government are not distracted by a plethora of court proceedings especially where appearance is required. The Senate President does not have half d workload d president has. He only needs to present at a minimum of about 180 sittings, so court proceedings can be scheduled not to co-incide with d days the House sits
Again, the presidents only has to be guilty of gross misconduct to be impeached. So there are provisions that make sure d immunity clause is not abused with impunity.
Thank God, itz a constitutional provision, so letz see u pull it off with all d constitutional requirements

1 Like

Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by sanusidabo: 10:28am On Jun 23, 2016
Oga Saraki should stop delaying your to Kuje, useless senators. We are hereby calling for the complete scrap red chamber in our system, gang of looters.

1 Like

Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by Nobody: 10:28am On Jun 23, 2016
midolian:
Criminals too want to enjoy immunity... grin grin grin

Now, lemme ask.. If the legislooters enjoy immunity, when will they pay for their sins? Eg..David Mark was SP for 8yrs[if Buhari had not won election, he'ld still be there] and he has been in the Senate for over 16yrs...if we r to wait till he leaves the senate b4 dealing with him, it means we ll wait forever..cos this man wld love to be there till death says otherwise.

Plus, it has been observed with dismay that most of these governors, after spending 8yrs looting their state's treasury, tend "to seek asylum" in the Senate. For goodness sake, imagine these conglomerate of looters having immunity..just imagine it. Not even one of them(SP) is imaginable. angry angry

The Executive(Buhari & co) on the other hand can only be there for a maximum period of 8yrs after which they can pay for their crimes(if any).

Na true talk o
Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by DrHighchief(m): 10:30am On Jun 23, 2016
I have said it several times, this people re there because of their selfish interest. Is immunity our problem? I thought they should enact laws that will tame corruption, unemployment, good health system, good education, good roads etc. They don't even care about d masses but their selfish interest.

1 Like

Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by henrysam(m): 10:31am On Jun 23, 2016
My own take about this. If there is going to be immunity for legislatures. There suppose to be service term too, either two terms or one term. If this is addressed I think they deserve it too.
Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by meccuno: 10:33am On Jun 23, 2016
SeverusSnape:

Guess what??... I didn't read this trash. Ain't gat time for zombie epistle.
grin classic reply to a zombie
Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by Deen77: 10:37am On Jun 23, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:
if I hear. if the executive abuse immunity, the legislators can impeach him, if SP or Speaker abuse immunity, what should the executive do? e be like sey dis people think sey na only dem get sense, thunder fire una yansh.
e ni ko ere oko dele. ediots.

Help me tell them, who will impeach.
Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by visijo(m): 10:38am On Jun 23, 2016
in my own opinion, i prefer they grant we civilians immunity.. Becase we need it more than them so that police will not be harrasing us anymore... Hahahah, Saraki sef,. The man de find way of escape... They should strip dem off their immunity,

1 Like

Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by Deen77: 10:41am On Jun 23, 2016
Saraki! I think all senators and assembly members should enjoy immunity. You are all equal by rights.

Are you sure assembly members can not do the work of d Senate together to save cost, why not scrap d Senate.

1 Like

Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by ndcide(m): 10:41am On Jun 23, 2016
AlPeter:
there is NO POINT at all! Granting the Legislators immunity is same as saying once you are a legislator you can't be prosecuted for the rest of your life because some can spend 30years plus on the sit while the executive only has 8years max. The guy saraki is a thief looking for every avenue to escape.

Who has spent 30 years as a head of an arm of government in Nigeria.

The truth is that buhari doesn't deserve immunity. It should be removed. The truth is that buhari is not going to be president forever.

When GEJ was president, those who want immunity for buhari now were voicing out against it. They were telling us about impeachment, some were talking about revolution etc.

We must be dispassionate when saying these things.

If the statement was for immunity to be removed from the executive only, will you not come in defense?

Just like many, you'll change position after buhari.
Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by otokx(m): 10:41am On Jun 23, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:
The country voted for only two people.... guess who?

Those are the ones that should enjoy immunity.

Epic

1 Like

Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by linusbnn(m): 10:42am On Jun 23, 2016
IykeChukz:
Granting Immunity to Legislative and Judiciary is to crown corruption... It'll be a shield for you corrupt and potential corrupt Leg/Jud thiefs.

For me, we're not ripe for it.

God, Make Buhari stronger because the forces are much in this Country.

What re you saying?. Do you know that our constitution needs a serious amendment. Why will the executives alone enjoy immunity if not for corruption sake too. All should enjoy it or none should.
Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by TrumpDonald2: 10:45am On Jun 23, 2016
Then lobby ur guys and move a motion for the removal of immunity from all organs.
Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by TrumpDonald2: 10:45am On Jun 23, 2016
Then lobby ur guys and move a motion for the removal of immunity from all arms.
Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by ndcide(m): 10:45am On Jun 23, 2016
Saraki and the Senate should begin proceedings of removing executive immunity from next week.

He should do this and see how hypocritical Nigerians are.
Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by Alexk2(m): 10:49am On Jun 23, 2016
emmykk;

which wme which senate failled...this will not fail
I decide to reply you so you can be well informed on this issue.... The previous "Senate"(the 4th and 7th assembly) failed in their bid to amend the constitution because of moves to slot in selfish issues like this one.
I mean these two assembly specifically because they both came close until their selfish interest ruin the whole noble course.
It's unfortunate that we don't learn from history.. First, it's the move to be enjoying life pension and now, they want to have immunity. Note that this call starts with "it's only the Senate leadership" but I know it's all a lie.

How about removing all forms of life pension and immunity from all political leadership positions. Why should anybody who was elected to serve be enjoying live pension or immune from answering questions relating to how they use such office?

The Judiciary heads and formal military head of states cannot in any sense be compared because they are civil servants and pension is their exclusive rights as they contributed to it all through their service years...... Likewise can they not enjoy an for of immunity as they are employee of the government and should be held accountable.

1 Like

Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by george3132001(m): 10:51am On Jun 23, 2016
Let the immunity be removed totaly from the constitution.
Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by teemy(m): 10:55am On Jun 23, 2016
ademega:
they should start giving them joo. soon all minsters and legislature and judiciary would demand for immunity and gradually it would get to a person like me on the street and we shall all be immunised against crime we commit. good move I say.
Actually the immunity clause does not cover criminal actions by the executives.
Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by Izonpikin: 10:55am On Jun 23, 2016
crazy country
Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by linusbnn(m): 10:56am On Jun 23, 2016
DrHighchief:
I have said it several times, this people re there because of their selfish interest. Is immunity our problem? I thought they should enact laws that will tame corruption, unemployment, good health system, good education, good roads etc. They don't even care about d masses but their selfish interest.

Immunity is also important to the nation. You should not forget that whenever the executive remember that they have to pass through the senate for any purpose,they will adjust alittle. Buhari govt is military in nature
Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by Mekzyzeus(m): 10:56am On Jun 23, 2016
fearless2014:

Comprehension problem
He said heads & not all of them, Mark was president for 8yrs alone.

Listen to yourself !! Ya aware that the senate has no year cap as long as one keeps getting elected??
Now, assume a scenario of David Mark retaining the SP seat which they what immuned and he has corruption cases, when will he face his crimes?? That's your reality check! The executive can only be there for 8years max and will account for their excesses at the end.

1 Like

Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by Skain(m): 10:56am On Jun 23, 2016
Your people voted you in as senator and not senate president so why looking for immunity.

Imuniti ko etiniti ni

1 Like

Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by Doyin2(m): 10:59am On Jun 23, 2016
SeverusSnape:
Yes, Let them all enjoy 'IMMUNITY'.

What is good for executhieves is good for legislathieves.
Are you thinking at all?
So a governor steals his state's money and to avoid prosecution,buys his way into the senate where he could remain a senator and enjoy immunity for life!

Please no more immunity for anybody.Those supporting immunity in a very. Corrupt country like ours,must be sick in the head

2 Likes

Re: The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki by Nobody: 11:01am On Jun 23, 2016
Saraki is correct, executive can not enjoy immunity alone, mechanic,bricklayers, market women and boko haram will also enjoy immunity too. Idi oshi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Governor Wike & Wife Spotted Kissing As First Lady Throws Hubby A Birthday Party / 2023: Wike Moves Against Atiku, Saraki, Courts Five Governors / Even Tinubu Go Vote Obi, Atiku Just Dey Cry, OBI Supporters Chant On The Street

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.