Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,622 members, 7,820,207 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? - TV/Movies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? (44468 Views)

The Most Beautiful Actresses In Africa Are Ghanaian / Ur Best Yoruba Actors/actresses. / Websites of Nigerian Actors and Actresses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by BlackMamba(m): 9:12pm On Dec 15, 2006
ronkebaby:

what assumptions are uninformed except if you 've not read through the previous postings. it is been proved beyond any doubts on this forum that the yorubas actors/actresses are better. enlighten your narrow knowledge by reading throu all the posts!

I don't need to read through stereotypical ramblings to agree with self anointed critics of Naija theater and movies. I still maintain that your personal preferences is not the standard.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 9:17pm On Dec 15, 2006
@Orikinla

you appear so informed and i believe your postings more than that of Londoner and Donzman who claim the actors/actresses in the English genre earn more and are more comfortable than the yoruba ones. how nice to know it is not as it seems and that majority of those English actors are living and dying in abject poverty.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ladykool(f): 9:21pm On Dec 15, 2006
@topic
they r all the same no difference!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 9:22pm On Dec 15, 2006
BlackMamba:

I don't need to read through stereotypical ramblings to agree with self anointed critics of Naija theater and movie. I still maintain that your personal preferences is not the standard.

not my personal preference, but the truth which is so difficult for you to absolve. am not going to repeat all my posts just to convince u. all i'd repeat is for you to read them up yourself. those posts are facts w names and places mentioned. you are the one blabbing without any meagniful contribution. maybe if you are able to take up my posts one by one and counter my claims in such, then i could take u more serious. until then, hmmmmm!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by TerraCotta(m): 9:22pm On Dec 15, 2006
Orikinla--It's great that you're such an advocate for Yoruba cinema, but I'm sure you can also see that your style of posting is deliberately divisive. Acting has nothing to do with ethnicity--it has to do with being comfortable in your medium and having practice (or abundant natural talent) in your craft, in my opinion. If you love Yoruba movies and the actors in them (as I do), that's great. If you think they're more talented than general actors in English-language Nollywood films, that's great too (so do I). But you seem to be pushing this idea that it has to do with their invisible, intangible, genetic Yorubaness, and that's where we part ways. The Tsotsi that Ronkebaby mentioned was shot in Tsotsitaal (South African slang), Zulu, and Xhosa languages, which allowed the actors to express themselves more believably and connect with an audience emotionally in their mother tongues that they speak every day, as opposed to putting on fake accents to act in a second or third language which Nigerians in the English-language movie genre do. Acting is about emotional honesty, and that's harder to do in a second language. If you speak a little French or Spanish, you'd know how terrible most Hollywood actors sound when they have to speak those languages for a role. Many Nollywood actors--and even the writers--are trying too hard to sound 'foreign' or 'sophisticated' instead of focusing on creating a compelling script and acting it out accordingly. In contrast, people working in their first language, and who often have a wealth of theatrical acting experience, will be a lot more comfortable on screen, i.e. American actors in Hollywood or Indian actors in Bollywood. I know I'm repeating myself, but that's the difference between English-language and Yoruba-language Nigerian movies to me, not this subtle reference to an acting gene. To each his own though; those English-language actors are getting their money and laughing all the way to the bank, so I can't hate them.

Your being Igbo doesn't preclude me from letting you know that I disagree with where you're taking this discussion and characterizing it as an ethnic issue. If you mention Sola Sobowale, I'm sure some equally enterprising person could think of Rachael Oniga as an example of an Igbo actress who performs well in both Yoruba and English movies. You can find other ways to promote your Nollywood work and to market your blog etc. than to stir up arguments like this wink
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 9:35pm On Dec 15, 2006
TerraCotta:

In contrast, people working in their first language, and who often have a wealth of theatrical acting experience, will be a lot more comfortable on screen, i.e. American actors in Hollywood or Indian actors in Bollywood. I know I'm repeating myself, but that's the difference between English-language and Yoruba-language Nigerian movies to me, not this subtle reference to an acting gene.

thanks for aknowledging that. i guess that is what makes the yoruba actors better. also don't forget that one of the points raised at the ealier state of this arguement is the fact that even in the english genre of movies, the yorubas featured are better and am sure you know why. so it is not because they are acting in english that is the problem, but because one group seems to be more professionaly inclined in the trade with a good thearentical background. yoruba actors acts english movies and are still rated the best, that was one of the basis of this topic! so the medium of expression they use has got nothing to do with this debate. it is more of the experience, background and the professional inclination

TerraCotta:

Your being Igbo doesn't preclude me from letting you know that I disagree with where you're taking this discussion and characterizing it as an ethnic issue. If you mention Sola Sobowale, I'm sure some equally enterprising person could think of Rachael Oniga as an example of an Igbo actress who performs well in both Yoruba and English movies. You can find other ways to promote your Nollywood work and to market your blog etc. than to stir up arguments like this wink

sorry, racheal is an itsekiri woman married to a yoruba man! i wonder when she became igbo! your post just showns how the truth dey pain some people for bodi. but sorry, the truth just has to be told!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by TerraCotta(m): 9:54pm On Dec 15, 2006
ronkebaby:

thanks for aknowledging that. i guess that is what makes the yoruba actors better. also don't forget that one of the points raised at the ealier state of this arguement is the fact that even in the english genre of movies, the yorubas featured are better and am sure you know why. so it is not because they are acting in english that is the problem, but because one group seems to be more professionaly inclined in the trade with a good thearentical background. yoruba actors acts english movies and are still rated the best, that was one of the basis of this topic! so the medium of expression they use has got nothing to do with this debate. it is more of the experience, background and the professional inclination

I don't particularly disagree with you (although I don't know who are these mysterious people that 'rate Yoruba actors the best in English movies'). I actually think being professional has less to do with it than language fluency (i.e. the lead actors in Tsotsi had never acted before) but it's not that important.

sorry, racheal is an itsekiri woman married to a yoruba man! i wonder when she became igbo! your post just showns how the truth dey pain some people for bodi. but sorry, the truth just has to be told!

I read that she was Igbo, so if I'm wrong, it's my mistake. Obviously, she grew up speaking Yoruba and speaks it fluently. The point about Igbo actors in Yoruba and English movies still stands with people like Hanks Anuku (unless you have some new evidence about him too). Now why are you sorry and why would I be in pain? embarassed Nairaland is funny sha--believe me, this isn't even particularly interesting to me. I'm just bored at work.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 10:09pm On Dec 15, 2006
TerraCotta:

I read that she was Igbo, so if I'm wrong, it's my mistake. Obviously, she grew up speaking Yoruba and speaks it fluently. The point about Igbo actors in Yoruba and English movies still stands with people like Hanks Anuku (unless you have some new evidence about him too). Now why are you sorry and why would I be in pain? embarassed Nairaland is funny sha--believe me, this isn't even particularly interesting to me. I'm just bored at work,

nice to see you can at least accept you are wrong and yes racheal is itsekiri. but pardon me sa as i dey wonder what ibos actors in yoruba movies have got to do with this topic? what the topic says is that the yoruba nollywood actresses/actors are better whether featured in yoruba films oh, or english. you could create ur new topic by asking if igbo actors in yoruba films are better! and nope i am not contesting the tribe of hanks anuku. i only corrected that of raheal oniga.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Dec 15, 2006
Orikinla is not Igbo, the guy isn't kidding anyone! Orikinla? Does that sound Igbo to you?

Nollywood actors earn more than Yoruba movies actor, end of story. How do you justify producing something better but receiving lower compensation for it?
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 10:16pm On Dec 15, 2006
Donzman:

Orikinla is not Igbo, the guy isn't kidding anyone! Orikinla? Does that sound Igbo to you?

Nollywood actors earn more than Yoruba movies actor, end of story.

don't be naive. anyone could choose any pet/nick name to bear. your reasoning should be beyond this level now as i expected u to know this.

secondly, are you saying someone would denounce his ethnic group just to drive home a point? that is a rude accusation/assumption if you ask me.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Dec 15, 2006
@ronkebaby

If you can honestly explain how you can produce something better but receive lower compensation for it, then you win!, I don't see how you can justify that, it is plain stupid. It does not make any economic sense!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by bluenubian(f): 10:24pm On Dec 15, 2006
ronkebaby:

secondly, are you saying someone would denounce his ethnic group just to drive home a point? that is a rude accusation/assumption if you ask me.

no where was orikinla denouncing his ethnic group, he was just stating what he thinks, which in my opinion is garbage
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 10:32pm On Dec 15, 2006
Donzman:

@ronkebaby

If you can honestly explain how you can produce something better but receive lower compensation for it, then you win!, I don't see how you can justify that, it is plain stupid. It does not make any economic sense!

i've told u times without no and u wouldn't bulge. anyway in the yoruba genre, making movies is not just becos of the financial compesation. i thot we already told you tht even when acting was still unknown, these pple stood by the profession they loved and practised it. even now the love of the profession supercedes the monetary returns. and by the way, how would u know if the artists in the yoruba genre are poorly paid. it appears to me you are selective in the posts you read. orikinla just said majority of the english artists live in abject poverty. read his recent experience at a location. i choose to believe him more than u becos u are not even involved in the movie biz. secondly, i don't think the yoruba ones are complaining to you that are being short changed. most of them have the same lifestyle at par with that of genevieve and the rest of them. and don't forget the fact that i once told you most yoruba artists are into production. they produce their own films and so trade with it. so it is just like saying the lead actress e.g genevieve is being paid 2m, a producer could make same if not much when he makes his own film, and that makes the equivalent of being the lead in his production and earning the same with the english lead and on and on like that, they produce their films with support from co-artists. so i don't know that your problem in understanding this simple explantion or practise is.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 10:36pm On Dec 15, 2006
bluenubian:

no where was orikinla denouncing his ethnic group, he was just stating what he thinks, which in my opinion is garbage

i wonder why u pple don't take time to read the arguements preceeding a post first before jumping in to make just any conclusion.

Anyway, to answer u Donzman alleged orikinla is not igbo as he claims becos his username does not sound igbo, that was why i posted the above comment. pls read topic well!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Dec 15, 2006
Yeah, they do it for the love and not for the money. What was Wunmi doing with hundreds of wraps of cocaine in her tummy again?, She's just carrying the cocaine for the love of the drug, not for the money.  cheesy

We're all Nigerians here, we know that Nigerians do whatever they do for the monetary benefits. If these guys were more talented, demand pressures will push them to the higher paying industry, that aint happening.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:40pm On Dec 15, 2006
I dont like this thread anymore. angry
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Dec 15, 2006
I still like Yoruba people though. grin
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:43pm On Dec 15, 2006
kissing ass wont make your heart any safer. tongue
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 10:50pm On Dec 15, 2006
Donzman:

Yeah, they do it for the love and not for the money. What was Wunmi doing with hundreds of wraps of cocaine in her tummy again?, She's just carrying the cocaine for the love of the drug, not for the money.  cheesy

sorry carrying drugs have little to nothing to do with acting. anybody could have been wunmi. even ibb as head of state was accused of peddling drugs. that was what led to dele giwa's death. it is greed that makes people do such and it not profession inclined. reason better as i thot you're intelligent.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by bluenubian(f): 10:51pm On Dec 15, 2006
@ronke
dont mind mr man, he just trying to hit below the belt tongue
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Dec 15, 2006
@Mama ronke

You don't get it. The moral of the story is that she wants money, if she's acting, money has got to be a major incentive. Love for the art? Give me a break.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by goodguy(m): 11:07pm On Dec 15, 2006
Donzman, does 'goodguy' sound Yoruba?  No, right?  I guess I'm not Yoruba then!  grin

As a matter of fact, you're not an Igbo guy, you liar! Donzman doesn't sound Igbo to me. grin
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:07pm On Dec 15, 2006
*waits for no cos a Yoruba cant be a good guy*
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 11:11pm On Dec 15, 2006
I said Yorubas are better and I gave good reasons from the past to the present. And some people are saying about my blog? When I have not even been able to blog or read blogs since I returned last Monday. And I spent the Sunday night and Monday morning with my partner Chika Christian Onu the director of Living In Bondage 2, Glamour Girls and over 120 other movies.

We discussed about his Doctorate and our plans for the production of our film Naked Beauty.

This post has nothing to do with tribalism.

Ernest Obi is directing a film and his camera man is Yoruba. And what they are making is another Nollywood movie.

People just want to trivialize the content and context of my analysis.

I have watched some Nollywood movies and I was overwhelmed by the accomplishments.
Go and watch Onyeka Owenu in Conspiracy. She was awesome.

I am 100% proud to be Igbo. But that does not mean I should not say the truth.

Yorubas are naturallly gifted actors and actresses.
Many of them who are even stark illiterates are great actors and actresses.
Their naturalism is amazing.
They don't act for the cameras.
But most Nollywood English actors and actresses are just camera-conscious.
Ini Edo is swaying her waist when the script does not ask her to do so.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by bluenubian(f): 11:14pm On Dec 15, 2006
Orikinla, u going back and forth, don't think there is major point to this thread,we have wonderful yoruba actors, even tho i can't mention 5, and we have wonderful igbo actors, i can mention 10, but no way do i think baba suwe is funnier than osuofia.

Ini edo is not even igbo

the reason why u see "Yorubas" as natural in their work is more because they act in their native tongue, make a major difference. most nollywood actors mess up because they try so much to sound western, with the way they dress and how they speak, something thats learned or copied never looks as good.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Dec 15, 2006
@Orikinla

You can try to succeed where MamaRonke has failed. What kind of market pays more money to lower talent?, Analyze that!

ThiefOfHearts:

*waits for no because a Yoruba can't be a good guy*

She called it!  grin

but no way do i think baba suwe is funnier than osuofia

Only a couple of Yoruba people find him funny. Osuofia is top notch level talent, he's even good with music.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:22pm On Dec 15, 2006
lol@ Ini Edo.

she's pretty decent though. There ARE quite a few that I do believe are just there to be pretty faces for the cameras
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 11:23pm On Dec 15, 2006
The thread is being twisted.

If you disagree, please go and start your own Igbo Actors and Actresses are better than Nollywood English actors and actresses. Finis.

Osuofia is not funny to me.

Before Baba Suwe, we have Baba Sala.
We had the late Ojo Ladipo and Papillolo.

After Osuofia, which other Igbo comic can you mention?

Ony those who watch only Nollywood English movies are ignorant of my analysis.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:24pm On Dec 15, 2006
Baba Suwe sucks but Baba Sala is great.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by bluenubian(f): 11:28pm On Dec 15, 2006
@orikinla
jus cause someone doesn't agree with u, doesn't mean u should chase them away, u made a general statement "Yoruba actors and actresses are better", big flipping lie, because a man wear big glasses and carries around a fake pot belly does not make him funny

liz benson, onyeka onwenu is better than sola sobowale anyday, anytime,

now u going by amount of actors, stick to your point
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by goodguy(m): 11:30pm On Dec 15, 2006
bluenubian:

because a man wear big glasses and carries around a fake pot belly does not make him funny

Actually, that's not what makes Baba Sala funny.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:31pm On Dec 15, 2006
Exactly. There's also the fact that he sprays people with 5 naira. tongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply)

BBNAIJA: MC Oluomo Trends After Omoshola Says He Is Like Youth Leader Of Lagos / BBNaija: K-Brule Tried To Kiss Anto, She Refused, But Went On To Kiss Lolu / DSTV Price Hike: Five Alternatives Nigerians Are Opting For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.