Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,700 members, 7,820,447 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? - TV/Movies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? (44469 Views)

The Most Beautiful Actresses In Africa Are Ghanaian / Ur Best Yoruba Actors/actresses. / Websites of Nigerian Actors and Actresses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 11:37pm On Dec 10, 2006
Donzman:

Ehh, Look at these hypocrites biting themselves on the ass. You served in Akwa Ibom, right , Ibibios hate Ibos, right, but they have more in common with us than they have with the Yorubas, that's a fact. Have you taken a look at the map yet?

Here comes the hypocritical bit:

You want to claim Desmond Elliot based on the fact that his dad is Yoruba and you want to claim Ramsey Nouah based on the fact that his mom is Yoruba. What happened to your "nigerian calcualations" when it came Nouah?, Haha, I know, you weren't thinking while you were typing. Don't worry, it happens alot when people try to challenge Donzman. grin

I am not surpriced at your outbursts. as if i knew you would make reference to ramsey's case. for your information, that is different because this guy does not even know who is father is and carries a nigerian passport. it is by virtue of this fact that he is yoruba since his mother being yoruba leads to his claiming nigerian and carrying the nigerian passport in the first instance. this guy was born and raised as a yoruba guy. ask him if he ever wholly lived in istrael for a year, if at all he has ever even set eyes on his father. shan george, caroline ekanem all fall into this category. these people are nigerians by virtue of their mothers being ones and as such claim to be calabar ladies.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 11:44pm On Dec 10, 2006
ThiefOfHearts:

dork.

hey I'm Yoruba and im not claiming Desmond. I didnt even know he was half Yoruba. Only Ronke wants him for herself. perhaps she has a little crush cheesy

lol! that was really funny. grin anyway nope, i do not want him to myself. he is not even my favourite nigerian actor. i just hate it when pple try to muddle facts up as Donzman represents. his quest of wanting to prove the igbo english actors/actresses are better than the yoruba oness has so much beclouded his reasoning that he decided to take it personal and distort points unecessarily. one of which is his refusal to see desmond as a yoruba gal. he would rather see him as ibo even creating a mathematical equation that makes him more ibo than yoruba becos both his mum and wife are from the east as he claims. i wonder when akwa- ibomites became ibos!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 11:47pm On Dec 10, 2006
Donzman

i forgot to tell you that yeah i served in akwa-ibom and interacted with the pple. their culture is very different from the igbos. they are another distinct pple. if you talk about crossriver and akwa ibom, then i concur. but definitely, they have little to nothing in common with the igbos.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 12:02am On Dec 11, 2006
MamaRonke

You must know something the res of us don't. Ibibios and Igbos are very similar, dancing, food,marriage tradition, community arrangements and etcetera. I don't want to start arguing about that now but Igbos and Ibibios have similar history, culture and everything at large. This is common knowledge anyway.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by superman(m): 12:03am On Dec 11, 2006
na lie nollywood is better no time for games no time
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by gbadex1(m): 9:29am On Dec 11, 2006
*brings in a couple of broken bottles, some pump action, a couple of shakabulas, cutlasses, plus odeshi, and not forgetting c4s, dynamites, TNTs. . .*

oya, ronkebaby, Donzman, ThiefOfHearts, choose ya weapons.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 12:41pm On Dec 11, 2006
Donzman:

MamaRonke

You must know something the res of us don't. Ibibios and Igbos are very similar, dancing, food,marriage tradition, community arrangements and etcetera. I don't want to start arguing about that now but Igbos and Ibibios have similar history, culture and everything at large. This is common knowledge anyway.

you probably are the only one that sees these similarities. dancing? food? culture? you are so so wrong. anyway, nothing makes desmond for the fact that his mum is igbo and his wife an akwa-ibomite more ibo than yoruba, i think that was where the auguement started from. he is first and foremost a yoruba guy. maybe if he did not know his father for instance like in the case of noah, shan and co and spent all his years under his mum, then ur auguement would have carried weight.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by BlackMamba(m): 3:47pm On Dec 11, 2006
@Orikinla

You have absolute right to your choice of Naija movies, but you're still full of shit. Most of the movies suck, but Igbo movies suck less. Living in Bondage was ground breaking, to mention but one. cool
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:29pm On Dec 11, 2006
Owo Blow & Asiri Nla both better than Living In Bondage.

anyway Ronke, leave Desmond alone! lol, he can be whatever he wants. why argue with Donz the loon over something like that. Frankly it shouldnt matter.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Honeypot1(m): 12:54am On Dec 12, 2006
I'm sorry for this unfortunate union called nigeria. Why are we always dividing along ethnic lines? Why are most nigerians ''igbophobic''. When did the last medical research associate film-acting excellence with a yoruba DNA?

oops, i forgot.

Tom Oluwole Cruise, Mel Olayinka Gibson, and Julia Wunmi Roberts are the best in both the ''Yoruwood'' and Hollywood industries grin

Since i'm contemplating an acting career, maybe i'll need to have yoruba foster parents before my maiden appearance. Meanwhile, I heard that Madonna Ronke Louise Ciccone is planning another adoption from Africa, i don't mind giving myself up for adoption just to inherit the yoruba-movie traits grin grin.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by TerraCotta(m): 4:05am On Dec 12, 2006
Honey_pot (you be guyman sha?)--That would have been funnier (or would at least make some sense) if any of those actors you mentioned were Nollywood performers. Unfortunately for you, however, we're talking about Nigerian videos. The argument is that Yoruba actors are more convincing because many Yoruba movie actors a) have the advantage of acting in their first language and b) come from theatrical backgrounds, meaning they've had years of experience on the job, especially in live theatre, which sharpens your skills. That has less to do with their ethnicity and more to do with the circumstances under which the industry developed. If you disagree, state your case.

Obviously, you don't agree--nothing wrong with that, but please don't reduce everything to whining about some 'unfortunate union' or 'igbophobia'. Many popular Nollywood English-genre actors like Ramsey Nouah, Omotola Jalade, Bimbo Akintola, Ini Edo, etc. are not Igbo, while people have already praised Igbo-language movies like 'Living in Bondage' and asked why they're not being made anymore. Shine your eye and let's stick to the topic--thanks. wink
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 10:21am On Dec 12, 2006
TerraCotta:

Honey_pot (you be guyman sha?)--That would have been funnier (or would at least make some sense) if any of those actors you mentioned were Nollywood performers. Unfortunately for you, however, we're talking about Nigerian videos. The argument is that Yoruba actors are more convincing because many Yoruba movie actors a) have the advantage of acting in their first language and b) come from theatrical backgrounds, meaning they've had years of experience on the job, especially in live theatre, which sharpens your skills. That has less to do with their ethnicity and more to do with the circumstances under which the industry developed. If you disagree, state your case.

Obviously, you don't agree--nothing wrong with that, but please don't reduce everything to whining about some 'unfortunate union' or 'igbophobia'. Many popular Nollywood English-genre actors like Ramsey Nouah, Omotola Jalade, Bimbo Akintola, Ini Edo, etc. are not Igbo, while people have already praised Igbo-language movies like 'Living in Bondage' and asked why they're not being made anymore. Shine your eye and let's stick to the topic--thanks. wink

thank you o my paddy.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 6:45pm On Dec 14, 2006
Yoruba actors are natural.
But Nollywood Igbo actors are artificial.

I have been away to Nollywood on assignment for a New York based production company Jton.

Yoruba actors are better.

Sit down and watch the classic Duro Ladipo plays for television, Ogunmola, Kotu Ashipa, and watch Hubert Ogunde films and Ade Love films and Tunde Kelani films and you will see that Yoruba actors are better than the GIGO in Nollywood English speaking films.

Yoruba films have been shown on Mnet's Africa Magic. And they rock.

Have you seen Prof. Wole Soyinka's films?

Yoruba actors are better, because they are not acting for glamour.
They are acting for the love of the art.
They are more natural.
While Nollywood Igbo actors and actresses are artificial.

Shola Shobowale acts both in Yoruba and Nollywood English movies playing Igbo roles, because she is a consumate actress.
Find me one Nollywood Igbo actress that can beat her.

I am Igbo, so you cannot accuse me of tribalism.

I was born and bred in Lagos and I have been all over Nigeria and I have been on the live stage, television and one or two Nollywood movies, so I know what I have seen over the years.

From Emeka Ike to Emeka Enyiocha, we were all there from the 90s and just last week I was on locations in Lagos with Francis Duru, Ernest Obi, Patience Ozokwor and Emeka Enyiocha and I was really disppointed that Emeka Enyiocha is still Emeka Enyiocha in every movie and Patience acts exactly the same. Only their names and costumes and scenarios change.
Watch Eddie Murphy acting diferent roles in the same movie and you will understand what I am saying.

Most of you will not recognize Baba Suwe behind the cameras.

Yoruba children act as real children and they are so convincing.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:55pm On Dec 14, 2006
let's not start a Ibo vs Yoruba people argument shall we

It was fine and dandy when it was just Yoruba films vs English Nolly films
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by goodguy(m): 7:10pm On Dec 14, 2006
ThiefOfHearts:

let's not start a Ibo vs Yoruba people argument shall we

It was fine and dandy when it was just Yoruba films vs English Nolly films

But that was the intention of this thread before we all digressed. Read the topic.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 7:21pm On Dec 14, 2006
Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better?

Those who are raving about Living in Bondage should go and watch Ikoto Aiye.

Everybody in Nollywood agreed that the Igbo traders have done more harm than good to the Nigerian film industry.

The rush-rush bandwagon in Nollywood made the actors and actresses not to rehearse very well to get into character. And you see them rushing from the locations of one movie to the locations of another movie during the same period in their greed to make more money. So, they just go on in the same mood of one movie to the other movie.

One Nollywood Igbo producer boasted that he has made 28 movies in 11 months this year alone. And only a charlatan would boast of such load of rubbish.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:27pm On Dec 14, 2006
hush goodguy.

not a good intention either way.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by goodguy(m): 9:12pm On Dec 14, 2006
sharrap too.

grin
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by gbadex1(m): 9:15pm On Dec 14, 2006
hehehe. . .
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Dec 14, 2006
I was going to reply to this thread once again but I sensed the Igbophobia in the air and decided against it.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ZuluNation(m): 2:07am On Dec 15, 2006
Donzman:

I was going to reply to this thread once again but I sensed the Igbophobia in the air and decided against it.

Very smart decision Donzman. grin

* is there really an Igbophobia on NL?*
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by divadarlin(f): 7:10am On Dec 15, 2006
Yes there is
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 10:13am On Dec 15, 2006
divadarlin:

Yes there is

Nope, there is none! the only thing there is on nairaland is truthphobia!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by goodguy(m): 12:41pm On Dec 15, 2006
You people seem to forget that the person who started this topic is 100% Igbo himself.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Seun(m): 12:54pm On Dec 15, 2006
Everybody in Nollywood agreed that the Igbo traders have done more harm than good to the Nigerian film industry.
Rubish of the first order. Go and tell that to the people who would have been unemployed without them.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by BlackMamba(m): 3:40pm On Dec 15, 2006
Orikinla:

I am Igbo, so you cannot accuse me of tribalism.

goodguy:

You people seem to forget that the person who started this topic is 100% Igbo himself.

The fact that you claim Igbo, born and bred in Yorubaland lay no credence to your uninformed assumptions. It rather points to self hate. Reminds me of a house slave.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 5:13pm On Dec 15, 2006
The fact is Yoruba actors and movie producers don't rush to locations and they are not greedy for fame and fortune.

Lest you forget, Tunde Kelani doesn't like to be lumped together with those in Nollywood.

Check out Tade Ogidan's movies.
Check out Jimi Odumosu's movies and check out Tunde Kelani's movies.
The difference is clear.

I speak the truth.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by goodguy(m): 7:46pm On Dec 15, 2006
Seun:

Rubish of the first order. Go and tell that to the people who would have been unemployed without them.

Seun, this is only a part of the few good that Nollywood Igbo traders have done. In reality, they have done more harm. This, is Orikinla's point, I guess. grin

BlackMamba:

The fact that you claim Igbo, born and bred in Yorubaland lay no credence to your uninformed assumptions. It rather points to self hate. Reminds me of a house slave.

These are no assumptions. Orikinla deals with the Nollywood people, so I suppose he knows better than the rest of us here. Besides, you don't have to display undue tribalism especially when the truth is right there staring at you in the eyes. wink
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 7:52pm On Dec 15, 2006
BlackMamba:

what assumptions are uninformed except if you 've not read through the previous postings. it is been proved beyond any doubts on this forum tht the yorubas actors/actresses are better. enlighten your narrow knowledge by reading throu all the posts!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 8:29pm On Dec 15, 2006
We all went to the Palm wine Drinkers Bar near the Oduduwa Hall on campus where Emeka and the producer with his friend shared two big bottles of palm wine.
We were chatting and when I asked for the whereabouts of Caroline Ekanem, the producer’s friend said she had gone away with her husband. He said that her mother was against her decision to marry an older man. But, Caroline insisted and wedded the man she loved. But, most people in Nollywood did not know about the marriage, because she did not want them to know. Then, we discussed about the relationship of the Nigerian media and Nollywood. They all lambasted Nigerian journalists for only concentrating on the scandalous affairs in the private lives of Nollywood stars such as the publication of the nude photographs of Anita Hogan. But I defended that the Nigerian media made Nollywood popular, because, without the media, Nollywood would be like a star-studded soccer match that was never reported in the news. They refused to appreciate the celebration of Nollywood by Nigerian journalists and said that Nigerian newspapers and magazines use news on Nollywood to attract readers. They were very ignorant of the benefits of the media coverage of Nollywood.

Then they turned to attack themselves.
They insulted the President of the DGN and said he was not qualified to lead the directors in Nollywood. Then they made fun of Francis Duru.
I got tired of their petty mannerisms as they are desperately competing for roles.

My mind flashed back to the lack of food for the cast and crew on locations in Lekki.
Ernest Obi bought four bottles of soda for Emeka Enyiocha, Francis Duru and two others.
The others were starving as I sat with them taking notes.
They complained that the producer was mean.
"So, guys are still going through all these suffering and lamentations we went through in the 90s?" I asked.
They nodded.
I felt sorry for the hungry guys.
Rita Dominic's aunt intervened and jumped into her Hummer 2 and Patience Ozokwor joined her whilst Emeka and I followed in his jeep to the nearby Mr. Bigg's.
Rita Dominic's aunt bought snacks and soft drinks for the hungry guys. And I thanked God for her generosity.

Ernest Obi seemed in a hurry to complete the shots for the day.
Francis Duru had to return to Abuja and Patience Ozokwor wanted to rush back to Enugu for another movie.
Ernest Obi did not even bother to direct the next scene where Emeka Enyiocha had to act without direction.
"Just take the shot from that place and use that abandoned kiosk as the background," Ernest told the single camera man in Yoruba and the guy walked to the spot, with Emeka and another guy with the mike following behind.

I was having headache. And I wanted to call Ramsey Nouah again.

I recalled that most practitioners in Nollywood have never seen a reel to reel before.
Shooting straight to video has made most of them to careless about the shooting ratio.

My good friend Chika Onu said he was tired of the same recycle bin.

The time has come to move on to the next level.
We have come a long way since Prof. Wole Soyinka's Kongi's Harvest in 1971.
We should stop celebrating our mediocrity.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 8:42pm On Dec 15, 2006
@Orikinla

Thanks for that wonderful post. And yea, we have to shout it out, we do really need to move up to the next level. Down with the mediocre movies! I was watching clips of tosti (the south african oscar winning movie) the other day and i say the quality was wao! i wonder why nigerians want to keep producing mediocre movies.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 8:49pm On Dec 15, 2006
The Yorubas have already been to Hollywood even before most of you were born.
Let me address your ignorance that you often disguise in the masquerade of arrogance.

Let us call a spade a forking spade.

The Igbos rushed into Nollywood out of greed.

A unknown Nollywood Igbo actress died of poverty recently. And no comets were seen in Nollywood.

Go to the Winnis Guest House in Surulere and the National Theatre in Lagos, and you will see the majority of poverty stricken Nollywood actors and actresses.

The Yorubas have paid their dues even when there was no megabucks in acting in Nigeria.
They love the art. They treasure it.

Who remembered Fadeyi Oloro on TV?

Flashback to 1971.

Kongi's Harvest (1971) Not Rated | Adaptation, Comedy | Released: 1/1/1971 | Box Office

Cast & CrewTheatrical Release  
1/1/1971  

Studio Credit
Tam Communications Theatrical Distributor  

Director Credit
Ossie Davis Director  

Cast Credit
Wole Soyinka - Kongi
Rashidi Onikoyi -Oba Daniola
Femi Johnson -Organizing Secretary
Dapo Adelugba- Daodu
Nina Baden-Semper -Segi
Orlando Martins -Dr Gbenga

Production Companies Credit
Calpenny-Nigerian Films Production Company  
Herald Productions Production Company (USA)

From  Hollywood.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

BBNAIJA: MC Oluomo Trends After Omoshola Says He Is Like Youth Leader Of Lagos / BBNaija: K-Brule Tried To Kiss Anto, She Refused, But Went On To Kiss Lolu / DSTV Price Hike: Five Alternatives Nigerians Are Opting For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.