Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,504 members, 7,816,197 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered (7133 Views)

Trouble In Tinubu's Household -the Guardian / "As The Guardian Newspaper Has Done, APC Must Apologise For Lying" - Fayose / A Nairalander's Comment In Politics Makes A Full Page Advert In The Guardian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by preselect(m): 4:16pm On Sep 21, 2009
i think the law was made after the civil war. many people had guns, run into trouble with police, get to hospital, get treatment and run away. so it was a ploy to make sure no gun shot wound patient is an armed robber. it is outdated, things have changed, the armed robbers are now in the nationall assembly and its time to change the law.

but nigerians are more interested in the super eagles than in their govt. thank God the eagles are not going anywhere again. we can focus on our country.
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by Abatakan: 4:17pm On Sep 21, 2009
Oga O! How high, one reason the jackass (Why?they don`t want them to to have electricity never let US have 24hrs. of light, So  l am ranting, how many of my  country people stood up for the other race? Which One?
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by ashaby(f): 4:21pm On Sep 21, 2009
blacksta:

Meanwhile, Ohu's body has been deposited at the mortuary of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital. He left behind five children; the eldest being 16 years, while the youngest is nine months old, a housewife, who is a part-time student of the Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye and an aged father.

Wonder where they want this woman to start from being a student & all!

blacksta:

The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Marvel Akpoyibo, said that the police had already commenced investigation into the death, added: "We have commenced investigations into the killing. We are investigating a case of murder and robbery. We sympathise with[b] our friend, The Guardian[/b] for what happened, we shall investigate the death discretely."

I also wonder when media houses start becoming friendly with the police force. Akpoyibo should please save us this propaganda-ish  talk jare! Discreetly my a***s
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by Nobody: 4:24pm On Sep 21, 2009
Outstrip, how wide ya mouth is?
Topic.

That hospital could be government owned for all i care but does these false 'LAWS' also take effect in Private owned hospitals!!! (thinkin aloud).
Uhm. Journalist and Pressmen, this goes out to ya'll as a big blow warning; Be careful of tha kind of "report" u submit to ur headquarters am sayin this outa experience.
^^^^ BE WARNED!!!!!! ^^^^
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by preselect(m): 4:25pm On Sep 21, 2009
why do assasinations increase towards election time?

i even heard some of these kidnappings had political undertone. to keep foreigners who may want to come home to contest at bay.

nigeria embarassed
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by theviper1: 4:26pm On Sep 21, 2009
they lawmakers will rather slap the poor security operatives around than getting round their asses and do real work for nigeria and nigerians.useless pple. u cant imagine life as a fatherless person and ur mom being a house-wife. may the Lord be the strenght of those kids.
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by sandee575(f): 4:31pm On Sep 21, 2009
Life remains the cheapest commodity in Nigeria. By the way can somebody enlighten us
on the process abroad should somebody with gun wounds report at the hospital.
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by shilling(f): 4:33pm On Sep 21, 2009
This is soooooo shocking!!!
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by aquita(m): 4:36pm On Sep 21, 2009
T@meD0:

It's interesting how the story was covered by vanguard though.

Now, having said that, who in the world came up with such a stupid law and how in the world did that law pass?

If they're concerned about armed robbers getting medical attention, why not allow the docs and nurses do their jobs (saving lives) first and then worry about any documentation later on!  

This is clearly an assassination and not a robbery; he was obviously on to something big.  Hence, he had to be silenced.

May his soul rest in peace.  By the way, what the hell is with this figure-head of a president anyway?  If he's not abroad (at the expense of the taxpayers of course) receiving medical treatment, he's visiting Saudi Arabia for unknown reasons.  But I digress. . .

I tire for naija o!  

T@meDO, make we no tire for naija. This country is not beyond redemption. Having said that , I strongly believe that the law on the treatment of patients with gunshots wounds should be annuled or modified. Assuming the first hospital treated the late journalist, he might be alive today. Anyway, this case is an acid test for the new IG of police. May God grant Bayo Ohu eternal rest and also grant the family the fortitude to bear the loss.
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by MUZBO(m): 4:47pm On Sep 21, 2009
Those of you coming here to show 'surprise' about police reports should be ashamed of yourselves! So it is until 'important people' die that you notice our pathetic state? Some people are still coming here to blame the Drs and nurses, imagine?! You punks should pray should don't get shot in Nigeria and if you must then pray its beside LUTH gate or else get a pre-written police report!
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by blackspade(m): 4:54pm On Sep 21, 2009
RIP embarassed
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 21, 2009
@back2back
You're right u know. . . I fink the Law shit should be bleeping modified and amended and by the way we've got prolific writers on nairaland and co. We cna draft a petition and send to the National Assembly of Lawless makers, an opinion. LoL.
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by kech(f): 5:37pm On Sep 21, 2009
proudly9ja:

sad. However, I also think that doctors and nurses have a duty to protect lives. My belief is that it is part of their duty code.

We have written and signed petitions against SONY in the two cases of SONY vs Nigeria, I think its high time we also wrote and signed a petition to the National Assembly for a total repeal or ammendment of the said law. Too many people have died, let us not wait till its someone we know.

If anyone knows the section of the Nigerian constitution that mentions this law, please let us know so a petition can be drafted.

I quite agree. It's your ETHICAL duty as a doctor or nurse to PROTECT LIVES!!! DO YOUR JOB!!! YOU TOOK AN OATH!!! I believe those doctors and nurses are as guilty. Like someone said earlier, if they had given him first -aid treatment he may have had a chance. This scenario is eerily familiar. Reminds me of September 1st 2006, at 8am on a Sunday. "Robbers" came to our house and my Dad was shot in the process.  He got the strength to run out and he went straight to a hospital which was just 2 houses away from us. Immediately he went in they started administering First-Aid on him. Our neighbors then rallied around and got a car to take him to LUTH as soon as possible. I can tell u that as soon as he got to LUTH, our neighbors were asked to fill the paperwork while my dad was wheeled straight into the operating theatre for surgery to remove the bullets. After the surgery, the doctors told us the First-Aid he received initially actually saved his life. POLICE REPORT CAME LATER!!, so these doctors should stop covering up their cowardice by playing the police report card. DO YOUR JOBS AND SAVE LIVES!!
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by bawomolo(m): 5:38pm On Sep 21, 2009
kech:

I quite agree. It's your ETHICAL duty as a doctor or nurse to PROTECT LIVES!!! DO YOUR JOB!!! YOU TOOK AN OATH!!! I believe those doctors and nurses are as guilty. Like someone said earlier, if they had given him first -aid treatment he may have had a chance. This scenario is eerily familiar. Reminds me of September 1st 2006, at 8am on a Sunday. "Robbers" came to our house and my Dad was shot in the process.  He got the strength to run out and he went straight to a hospital which was just 2 houses away from us. Immediately he went in they started administering First-Aid on him. Our neighbors then rallied around and got a car to take him to LUTH as soon as possible. I can tell u that as soon as he got to LUTH, our neighbors were asked to fill the paperwork while my dad was wheeled straight into the operating theatre for surgery to remove the bullets. After the surgery, the doctors told us the First-Aid he received initially actually saved his life. POLICE REPORT CAME LATER!!, so these doctors should stop covering up their cowardice by playing the police report card. DO YOUR JOBS AND SAVE LIVES!!

does that mean they should break the law and become legally liable?   

Cowardice is one thing, a malpractice lawsuit is another
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by kech(f): 5:43pm On Sep 21, 2009
Bawomolo, please define the word Malpractice, and I mean in regards to Medicine.
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by bawomolo(m): 5:48pm On Sep 21, 2009
kech:

Bawomolo, please define the word Malpractice, and I mean in regards to Medicine.

if a doctor/medical practitioner is negligent when treating a patient?
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by proudly9ja(m): 5:52pm On Sep 21, 2009
kech:

I also agree with you. I know for one that some hospitals in Nigeria look for every opportunity NOT to treat patients especially when the patient does not have money to throw around.
A medical doctor friend of mine once treated an accident victim based on the critical nature of the man's situation at that time. He did this against his boss' orders. Unfortunately, the man died. For weeks, my friend's boss put him through hell for attending to the patient. My friend was the one who went to the police station to get a report, then took the guy's body to the mortuary.

While I am not blaming the hospital in this Guardian reporter's case as I do not know the full story, I also want to think that basing our conclusions on some 'law' that noone here has presented to us is a bit taking things too far. If I was a doctor, no matter the law of the land, I cannot stand by and watch a patient die when I know by applying first aid I could have saved his life.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT: What if the patient was a relative of the doctor? Would he ask for a police report?
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by hackney(m): 6:07pm On Sep 21, 2009
God rest his soul.
The funny part is the police talking forensics.
Did they even get there the same day?
Idiots.
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by Outstrip(f): 6:20pm On Sep 21, 2009
brein:

Outstrip, how wide ya mouth is?
Topic.

That hospital could be government owned for all i care but does these false 'LAWS' also take effect in Private owned hospitals!!! (thinkin aloud).
Uhm. Journalist and Pressmen, this goes out to ya'll as a big blow warning; Be careful of tha kind of "report" u submit to your headquarters am sayin this outa experience.
^^^^ BE WARNED!!!!!! ^^^^

I am so tired of hearing things like this coming out of Nigeria. It's kind of like Nigeria playing soccer with a country like the US and the score is 3-0 in favor of the US. Some things should just not be so. It's just frustration. I read it and re read it and it just seems more unbelievable each time I read it. In a country where the middle class in under siege. Regular everyday people get robbed and shot on a daily basis yet there exists a law that says do not treat a gun shot victim without a police report. How daft and brainless is that.
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by kech(f): 6:25pm On Sep 21, 2009
quote from bamolowo:
if a doctor/medical practitioner is negligent when treating a patient?

So what has that got to with the law not to treat gunshot victims. The law IS NOT from the Nigerian Medical Association itself. Rather the hospital can be sued for not doing their duty as it is against the ethics of the profession. I have Naija doctor friends and this argument has come up before. They said they NEVER told them while in Medical School not to treat gunshot victims but they were made aware of the "law". They were told it was up to them to uphold the ethics of the medical profession, that a doctor owes his patient complete loyalty and must practice his/her profession uninfluenced by external motives which includes for profit and political reasons. A lot of them have been in this situation and they said what doctors should do is treat the patient AND call the police while he is in the hospital. If the patient is a thief they can arrest him in the operating room. No doctor has a right to refuse a life-threatening case unless it is something beyond him (skill wise). The scenario where it's a[b] crime [/b]to treat patients in Nigeria is if the patient wants an Abortion. That thing they call a "law" is really nothing if a doctor wants to really do his/her work. You CANNOT lose you license I promise you. The Nigerian Medical Association will not allow it. In fact, they in turn are under the World Medical Association and no foolish Naija law can reform their codes of conduct.
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by kech(f): 6:32pm On Sep 21, 2009

"There is no doubt that this is a clear assassination job. I have been in the police force for a long time and the kind of expended bullet cartridges found at the scene of the crime is really a source of worry. These are high caliber bullets that are not normal when attacking harmless people. You only go with this kind of weapon where you expect resistance, where you are going with the intent of war. It's not a regular thing", a police source said yesterday.

He then added in a tone dripping with frustration: "There is no cartridge that has the same groove pattern. The groove pattern on each bullet is akin to finger-prints. So, if we were in a situation where police jobs are made easier with good investigative capacity, the bullets could be used in locating the guns and sources, but my friend you know how things are here.

I'm going to pretend I did not see this for the sake of world peace. Fingerprints my nyash angry angry angry
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by saworoide: 6:33pm On Sep 21, 2009
All the signs of a failed state are staring us in the face, yet our "leaders" are more concerned with 2011 elections. These are the reasons why Nigerians in diaspora find it difficult to make the decision to come back home no matter how worse their conditions are abroad.

Somebody asked what if the patient is the doctors relative? May I add what if the patient is a commissioner or a LG chairman? I think the medical practitioners are the ones who should have fought this draconian law. We have medical doctors in the national assembly (at least I know Olorunimbe from Lagos state). Are our senators actually making laws for us apart from appropriation acts?

May the reporter's soul rest in peace.
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by TmeD0(m): 6:45pm On Sep 21, 2009
aquita:

T@meDO, make we no tire for naija. This country is not beyond redemption. Having said that , I strongly believe that the law on the treatment of patients with gunshots wounds should be annuled or modified. Assuming the first hospital treated the late journalist, he might be alive today. Anyway, this case is an acid test for the new IG of police. May God grant Bayo Ohu eternal rest and also grant the family the fortitude to bear the loss.

Bros, if no be one thing today na another.  Na only our continent so?  

I'm yet to understand the rationale behind that senseless law that shows total disregard for human lives.  

Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by Nobody: 7:04pm On Sep 21, 2009
You wright! All we need now is prayers to Allah for guidance.
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by Nobody: 7:12pm On Sep 21, 2009
Its really pathetic how we lost intelligent ones in this God forsaken country to political power tussle. Two more yrs to 2011 & we are beginning to lost loved ones, I wonder how many more will go down before that gruesome period. May God save us from this wicked leaders & protect the decease childrens and wife.
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by TmeD0(m): 7:20pm On Sep 21, 2009
kech:

I'm going to pretend I did not see this for the sake of world peace. Fingerprints my nyash  angry angry angry

In your haste to criticize the guy's remark, you failed to see his plight. 

Besides, he was right about using the fingerprint to locate the sources IF they had the investigative capacity (he was referring to the necessary resources i.e. equipments here) to do their job. 

On the other hand, if they will utilize the resources if available in a timely manner and for what it's for, is a valid argument. 

Just FYI, re-read his statement again and do pay attention to the one in italics.  Peace!

You only go with this kind of weapon where you expect resistance, where you are going with the intent of war. It's not a regular thing", a police source said yesterday.

He then added in a tone dripping with frustration: "There is no cartridge that has the same groove pattern. The groove pattern on each bullet is akin to finger-prints. So, if we were in a situation where police jobs are made easier with good investigative capacity, the bullets could be used in locating the guns and sources, but my friend you know how things are here.
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by di4real(f): 7:23pm On Sep 21, 2009
Wat's totally saddening is d fact that an hospital had to demand 4 police report when some1's life was at stake!Wonder when 9ja will get to the stage where doctors/hospitals place pple's life b4 money and trivial things like police reports,until then,God safe  us all!R.I.P Bayo Ohu
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by Uchek(m): 7:31pm On Sep 21, 2009
Please can someone tell Lagos State Police Command PRO Mr. Mbah to shut up his filthy mouth. We have his response for the umpteenth time.

1 Like

Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by viewlekan: 7:34pm On Sep 21, 2009
T@meD0:

Besides, he was right about using the fingerprint to locate the sources IF they had the investigative capacity (he was referring to the necessary resources i.e. equipments here) to do their job.

On the other hand, if they will utilize the resources if available in a timely manner and for what it's for, is a valid argument.

Just FYI, re-read his statement again and do pay attention to the one in italics. Peace!

T@meD0:

Just FYI, re-read his statement again and do pay attention to the one in italics. Peace!

Methinks someone has been spending too much time watching the Crime channel on SKY, this is Nigeria we are on about, where law officers dont have the slightest clue about gathering simple evidence like fingerprints,blood matching etc not to talk of Ballistic forensics, Wake up Dude!!!!

May his soul rest in peace!!!
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by viewlekan: 7:36pm On Sep 21, 2009
T@meD0:

Methinks someone has been spending too much time watching the Crime channel on SKY, this is Nigeria we are on about, where law officers dont have the slightest clue about gathering simple evidence like fingerprints,blood matching etc not to talk of Ballistic forensics, Wake up Dude!!!!

May his soul rest in peace!!!
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by tkconcept(m): 7:54pm On Sep 21, 2009
Am so Sad! becasue just like all the other murder case, our dear police would never get to the bottom of it. and because of that people doing these killings would keep having a filled day knowing notin can be done to them. thank God vengance is his. May the soul of Bayo Ohu rest in peace
Re: Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered by kech(f): 8:02pm On Sep 21, 2009
T@meD0:

Just FYI, re-read his statement again and do pay attention to the one in italics.  Peace!

In you haste to critisize me you failed to see the underlying message in my comment. Who is fooling who? This was the same crap they said when Bola Ige was murdered. Forensics, fingerprints, DNA,  kini ko, kini ko. They have been doing Ige's investigation since forever. Can he show proof that there's no where in Naija where they can do some form of forensics?  The "source himself know that even if he had access to the right equipment it will be IMPOSSIBLE to trace that bullet in Naija. First, ammunitions in that country don't even come a specific source. Those so-called special bullets can be found in every nook and cranny of the country and they know it. He's just going by the book and is saying what he is supposed to say. Someone is not just going to watch an episode of CSI and decide he knows enough to yarn dust to the masses. You cannot walk without crawling first. Like someone asked earlier, did they even get to the crime venue on time?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari Wins APC Presidential Primary, Confronts President Jonathan In February / Bombshell! Pmb Received N850m Thru His Pa’s Access Bank Act 0045586381- Dasukiga / Economy: New Borrowing Underway As Production, Reserves Dwindle - The Guardian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.