Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 - Travel (273) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 (673038 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Mayflowa(m): 3:16am On Dec 10, 2016
codedove:
. Why would you wanna give yourself unnecessary "headache" . Fly directly to that your school so you don't have issues at POE, then travel to anywhere you want once you get in .

This is a good advice especially for him whose program is not up to a year. He could set off suspicion
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by adamatrump: 3:48am On Dec 10, 2016
Samuels3, okeakpuonyeka,tonnytee,fesobi92,emmanuel ogunkunle, taye ojo. Please it is just to inform you people that i have just replied to your requests,yes i'd send you people a message via email. You can now check your mail and get back to me. I really apppreciate you all for showing such interest to help me. I dropped my contact, you can send me sms message or even a flash, and i get to call back. Thanks once more as i'll be expecting to hear from you guys any moment from now. Till then.... Happy weekend.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by djmakson(m): 4:02am On Dec 10, 2016
Hello brother, I just got to see your post. I see bosses passed comments already. Just wanna chip in this: While it's nice to do what you are passionate about, it's important to be strategic about it to avoid being questioned at the consulate. IMO, apply to different schools for both majors, come to the US on ChemEng, and thereafter get a transfer. Transfers are usually easy (I once did), but then, a few schools would insist that you spend time with them. Check out the policies of your choice schools. Best wishes.

deWav:
Please, i need your constructive advice.

I'm a tech savvy guy, never been tutored but somehow catch up on tech. I intend changing to computer science from chemical engineering(fantastic field, but feel like conquering another) for masters.

Here is the thing; considering both fields are dissimilar, is that a red flag for the VO?

GPA:3.01/4.00 (WES unofficial)
GRE: In a couple of days
TOEFL: Next Month

I have been discouraged from changing field on grounds on visa & funding.

Schools I've contacted about MS in Computer Science(no specialization yet).
University of Texas—​Austin
University of Massachusetts—​Amherst
Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
University of Houston

UH seem to have the better option. Here is an extract from the mail with the CS grad cord (she was so blunt).

Every School i have contacted seem to be directly or indirectly hinting at have the pre-requisites down first before consideration.
So if i manage to secure admission directly without these pre-requisites i could end up having my 1st year solely on pre-requites and foundation courses at full cost as no one is will to fund someone still testing the waters.

Someone advised I secure an admit in chemical Engineering solely for the VO, when i get there I request for transfer of my I-20 to a CC to obtain these pre-requisites. After which I could have more options shooting for top schools and possible secure some level of assistantship, as a year in the school system will expose me to more ways to secure funding.
I'm skeptical of plying this route due to stories for the school insisting on having a semester with them before transferring of out-rightly terminating the I-20.

How will you advise i go about it?

cc. Walspring, MsNas, lagosismyhome, walspring, texrem, femi321, djmakson, SirRiddy, godG, Mystique, Bigfrancis21, Ojap, Profojah2, Slimmy2005, Imperiouxx et. al.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by djmakson(m): 4:07am On Dec 10, 2016
You presented your old passport when you should have shown the valid one. However, what matters is the pin on that GTBank receipt. That's what enables you to book an appointment. You are fine.

beautysky:

Boss, and other seniors on this thread I beg your advice would be appreciated... there was an error on my gtbank receipt print out, my old passport number was reflected on the receipt.... I have not registered for appointment yet......Have you any experience on how to go about such circumstance please?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by texrem(m): 4:36am On Dec 10, 2016
djmakson:
You presented your old passport when you should have shown the valid one. However, what matters is the pin on that GTBank receipt. That's what enables you to book an appointment. You are fine.

Exactly
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by imperiouxx(m): 4:42am On Dec 10, 2016
@ aakintobi,

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by imperiouxx(m): 4:56am On Dec 10, 2016
electronic:

Oga imperiouxx!!
I see ur Automobile ooo.....u get taste sha... grin cool
U go carry boys go site seeing from JFK na tongue tongue
Fall2017 whew.... God pass Visa....

Like many valves..... V for speed wink

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by haffikem(m): 5:23am On Dec 10, 2016
please any nairalander in Washington DC ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Chiezzh: 6:04am On Dec 10, 2016
Hello nairalanders and prof in the house ! DeeTuss lagosismyhome. Ajomoz and the rest gurus! Please help me work on this answer
Vo why biomedical engineering

Me Nigeria needs this branch of knowledge because recent research has revealed that one out of ten women in the world is likely to develop cancer and one out of ten men would suffer from prostate cancer. Perhaps, if we had the human capacity and medical facilities in this field of study the likes broadcaster, Yinka Craig, popular musician Sonny Okosuns; award-winning football coach Laid Tela and the unforgettable human rights activist, Gani Fawenhimi all of blessed memory and several other unsung victims of cancer would still be counted amongst us. that is only one out of the many challenges confronting the development of the health sector in nigeria which I plan of working on when I return back to nigeria .....
Drop your comments
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Chiezzh: 6:11am On Dec 10, 2016
This answer also
Me Biomedical reserch experemce will introduce me to design principles within biomedical engineering and will test my scientific process and problem-solving skills, my ability to work with a team, and my ability to deliver within a specified time frame This experience will eventually make me more helpful to this country thereby solve problems facing the health sector in nigeria...
Make correction and drop comments pls
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by dickoflife(m): 6:15am On Dec 10, 2016
DeeTus:
Any prob?
yes... you havent asked after me.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by revenant: 6:52am On Dec 10, 2016
Everybody just dey advertise their car na wao, who say America nr sweet.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by akin3102(m): 6:53am On Dec 10, 2016
Yup
codedove:
[color=#000099][/color]. Hey bruv.. Are you a FUTA graduate?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by revenant: 6:54am On Dec 10, 2016
slimmy2005:
Yea they do now. They don't few years back anyway.

Thank you for this, such a relief!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by lionlee216(m): 6:55am On Dec 10, 2016
imperiouxx:

Like many valves..... V for speed wink

Give me a ride in your car nah.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:05am On Dec 10, 2016
Chiezzh:
Hello nairalanders and prof in the house ! DeeTuss lagosismyhome. Ajomoz and the rest gurus! Please help me work on this answer

Drop your comments

no sure why you are quoting me....i have told u several times i dont approve of this public display and that you should do a full transcipt and reach out to some people via pm and work with them . That is wisdom and also that way u are working on a full body of work and flow .

but u ignored and prefer this public .... one question drop here and there style .

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Temitope91(f): 7:09am On Dec 10, 2016
DeeTus:
Not answering questions correctly but saying the "right thing". grin

Please post your two transcripts.
VO: why are u going to the United States?
Me: am going there to study nursing and my program will last for 3years after which am coming back to Nigeria
VO: have u travelled before
Me:no av not
VO: who's sponsoring you
Me:my uncle
VO: did u take any exam
Me:no
VO:are you working presently
Me: yes in one private secondary Sch near where I live
And that was all
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by codedove: 7:12am On Dec 10, 2016
akin3102:
Yup
. Cool!!.. i finished from Physics Electronics /2012. I need nairalander who Skool in Texas make we hangout.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Temitope91(f): 7:13am On Dec 10, 2016
worry359:

You did not answer the "questions rightly"
because you have been refused twice.
There must be some fundamental error in your submission.

Tell us the exact reason for refusal given on the papers that you received from the VO.
Was it 214b or something else?
Yes 214(b)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by codedove: 7:17am On Dec 10, 2016
Mayflowa:

Nice. I think I will check out Geico. I was thinking Esurance is the cheapest. I am on comprehensive for $98/month. The car is a AWD V6 2008 Lexus IS 250 sedan car. It's kind of a luxury car. The insurance payment depresses me monthly. Hope I cut a better deal with these tips.
. Try state farm.. I drive a 2011 Nissan Altima and insurance is cheap 82$.. They give a good discount for student with a good cgpa. The believe student with a good result is definitely gonna be a good driver .

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by deWav: 7:18am On Dec 10, 2016
LagosismyHome:

while it is very possible....some schools are funny and do ask for a deposit or for you to spend a semester first or some other funny rules...although a lot of school do not so its best to confirm what exactly is that school policy for transfer of Sevis

Thanks for this. Will it be proper asking the grad cord even before submitting one's application?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Folafetty: 7:19am On Dec 10, 2016
Congrats....told you, you would get a mightier favour.
So happy for you

obquinn:
Got my visa this mrng. Tnx all. I typed a while page on my transcript to submit kept getting error msg.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by deWav: 7:22am On Dec 10, 2016
@djmakson Appreciate taking out time to respond. Thanks. Will asking about transfer policy from the grad cord before application raise any red flag?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by codedove: 7:23am On Dec 10, 2016
Temitope91:

VO: why are u going to the United States?
Me: am going there to study nursing and my program will last for 3years after which am coming back to Nigeria
VO: have u travelled before
Me:no av not
VO: who's sponsoring you
Me:my uncle
VO: did u take any exam
Me:no
VO:are you working presently
Me: yes in one private secondary Sch near where I live
And that was all
. Well, here's just my 1cent. Why are u going to The United State.. just tell the VO .. you are going to study nursing and stop telling him or her the duration of your program. Pls let's start making visa interview like conversation .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Temitope91(f): 7:26am On Dec 10, 2016
codedove:
. Well, here's just my 1cent. Why are u going to The United State.. just tell the VO .. you are going to study nursing and stop telling him or her the duration of your program. Pls let's start making visa interview like conversation .
But some said make it an interactive section.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by aakintobi(m): 7:29am On Dec 10, 2016
grin thanks[color=#000099][/color]

imperiouxx:
@ aakintobi,

Cheers!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by deWav: 7:30am On Dec 10, 2016
@codedove, Kindly expatiate on how you went about it. Just for record purposes as many will benefit.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by adamatrump: 7:31am On Dec 10, 2016
texrem:

shoot me a pm
shut a pm but you haven't replied. Texrem?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by deWav: 7:33am On Dec 10, 2016
@biikeys. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by deWav: 7:33am On Dec 10, 2016
adamatrump:

shut a pm but you haven't replied. Texrem?

(1) (2) (3) ... (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) ... (405)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.