Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,717 members, 7,824,031 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:54 PM

What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? - Religion (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? (29515 Views)

Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? / A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . / Why Are Natural Dreads Prominent Among White Garment Churches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by MrMontella(m): 6:41pm On Nov 30, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I'm sure my response disconcerted you.
you did nothing...stop hynotising yourself..

I posted a link to prove that atheism has been for aeons , so if you know any achievement by the atheists during that time please tell me..
and i ask you..give me atheists in high numbers..and i will take you serious..

The hellenic polytheists made prominent achievements and there were atheists during the worship of the Greek gods .
i hope you know..the definition of atheists then...differ from now..do you know?..
Even christians were called atheists by the greeks...
I will take you serious..if you can provide a significant number of atheists.
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:10pm On Nov 30, 2016
MrMontella:

you did nothing...stop hynotising yourself..

and i ask you..give me atheists in high numbers..and i will take you serious..

i hope you know..the definition of atheists then...differ from now..do you know?..
Even christians were called atheists by the greeks...
I will take you serious..if you can provide a significant number of atheists.

@ emboldened text

Can you provide proof for that
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by JackBizzle: 7:51pm On Nov 30, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

How did this elude you ? You just proved my point . So what did those atheists achieve Care to tell us .

Old but not popular. Atheists were not organized then.
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:53pm On Nov 30, 2016
JackBizzle:

Old but not popular. Atheists were not organized then.

They were . Even during the time of Hellenic polytheism BC
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by JackBizzle: 8:03pm On Nov 30, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

#when kingebukasblog tells a lie that just irritates your brain

Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by MrMontella(m): 8:11pm On Nov 30, 2016
...sorry by the romans...but also by the greeks too..i'll re-quote you..when i have perfect instances..not half statements..

For the romans

In the 3rd
century, the Neoplatonist philosopher Porphyry wrote:
"How can people not be in every way
impious and atheistic who have
apostatized from the customs of our
ancestors through which every nation
and city is sustained? ... What else are they than fighters against God?"

source: Robert L. Wilkin, "The Piety of the Persecutors." Christian History, Issue 27 (Vol. XI,
No. 3) ibid., p. 19.
wiki

polycarp,the bishop of smryna. ...was charged with atheism..in 156AD

source: “The Martyrdom
of Polycarp” ("The Apostolic Fathers,” p.
138-141)

ww.str.org#polycarp

I stand by my word...atheism could get you killed those days..

it did get some killed in the time of the greeks and romans
The decree of Diopeithes..
www.grethexis.com/atheists-in-ancient-greece/
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by MrMontella(m): 8:13pm On Nov 30, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

not in the modern sense..
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:13pm On Nov 30, 2016
JackBizzle:

#when kingebukasblog tells a lie that just irritates your brain

Have you heard of Diagoras of Melos of 5th century BC ?

I think he was a deist though but read about him
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:16pm On Nov 30, 2016
MrMontella:
...sorry by the romans...but also by the greeks too..i'll re-quote you..when i have perfect instances..not half statements..

For the romans
wiki

I stand by my word...atheism could get you killed those days..

it did get some killed in the time of the greeks and romans
The decree of Diopeithes..
www.grethexis.com/atheists-in-ancient-greece/

The Romans and Greeks killed anyone who opposed the worship of their gods deists, atheists and Christians alike . So stop fixating on that undecided
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by MrMontella(m): 8:17pm On Nov 30, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Have you heard of Diagoras of Melos of 5th century BC ?
I think he was a deist though but read about him
did he or did he not run for his life? Was he or was he not tried to be killed?
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by MrMontella(m): 8:18pm On Nov 30, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

The Romans and Greeks killed anyone who opposed the worship of their gods deists, atheists and Christians alike . So stop fixating on that undecided
the atheists didnt become organized till somewhere around the age of enlightment
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:19pm On Nov 30, 2016
MrMontella:

did he or did he not run for his life?
Was he or was he not tried to be killed?

Mister , now you understand when I say atheism has been in existence for a long time even in civilized ancient countries . What were the prominent achievements of the atheists during that time?
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:22pm On Nov 30, 2016
MrMontella:

the atheists didnt become organized till somewhere around the age of enlightment

Organized or not an atheist is an atheist . Is atheism a religion that needs organization What about the deists like Socrates , didn't Socrates make prominent achievements ? Were the deists organized ? Weren't they killed like the atheists undecided
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by MrMontella(m): 8:27pm On Nov 30, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Organized or not an atheist is an atheist . Is atheism a religion that needs organization What about the deists like Socrates , didn't Socrates make prominent achievements ? Were the deists organized ? Weren't they killed like the atheists undecided
you call socrates a deist?
Will you then call hypatia of alexandra and
democritus atheists?

organized asin to gain popularity...
Twas just one or two..here and there..
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:36pm On Nov 30, 2016
MrMontella:
you call socrates a deist?
Will you then call hypatia of alexandra and
democritus atheists?

organized asin to gain popularity...
Twas just one or two..here and there..

They were deists - they didn't believe in gods that had anything to do with human affairs .

Diagoras was a quintessential Greek atheist
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by MrMontella(m): 8:37pm On Nov 30, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Mister , now you understand when I say atheism has been in existence for a long time even in civilized ancient countries . What were the prominent achievements of the atheists during that time?
old..but not popular and few...
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:38pm On Nov 30, 2016
MrMontella:

old..but not popular and few...

So did the few ones make any prominent achievement ?
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by MrMontella(m): 9:16pm On Nov 30, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

They were deists - they didn't believe in gods that had anything to do with human affairs .

Diagoras was a quintessential Greek atheist

proove it.
Because i know democritus was a materialist.
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by MrMontella(m): 9:18pm On Nov 30, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

So did the few ones make any prominent achievement ?
how do you define achievements..
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:35pm On Dec 01, 2016
MrMontella:

how do you define achievements..

As an atheist , how do you define achievements ?
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:41pm On Dec 01, 2016
MrMontella:

proove it.
Because i know democritus was a materialist.

Being a materialist does not make one an atheist . Epicurus was also a materialist but he had deistic thoughts about gods . Epicurus believed that the soul and body were inseparable and if the body dies , the soul also dies .
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by JackBizzle: 11:44pm On Dec 01, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Being a materialist does not make one an atheist . Epicurus was also a materialist but he had deistic thoughts about gods . Epicurus believed that the soul and body were inseparable and if the body dies , the soul also dies .

Th people you mentioned arent christians either
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:47pm On Dec 01, 2016
JackBizzle:

Th people you mentioned arent christians either

Diagoras was an atheist by the way .
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:17pm On Dec 02, 2016
This is still open though .
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by ScienceWatch: 2:15am On Dec 03, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
Do you know that the founders of modern science where the Christians and Muslims ? Do you know that the prominent achievements in science , philosophy and technology in the medieval age - 5th - 15th century - were made by religious people ?

Atheists have made so many false claims and I want them to vindicate themselves by telling us the major achievements of atheists during that era.
Dr. Zimmermann’s studies also divide common mental illnesses into categories wherein The Misfit Syndrome is common or uncommon. He defines them here:
Much more serious ‘mental illness,’ such as schizophrenia and serious forms of socio-pathology are very often seen in the overt atheist with percentages approaching 100%. In other words, people who proclaim to be believers are more prone to the more mundane Generalized Anxiety Disorders or various phobias, but overt non-believers suffer from much more profound mental issues and socio-pathologies.

“The overt atheist can only efficiently associate with other overt atheists and when confronted with the companionship of ordinary people, they recoil in anger and hostility.

“A quick study of the Occupy Wall Street people — one where we used previously proven mathematical models — showed us that the most strident ‘occupiers’ were not only overt athiests, they were also suffering from various mental illnesses that one would normally see only in a psychiatric ward of a hospital and not on the streets of a major city. It’s amazing that there were fewer violent confrontations that we would see in a mental facility.

View the full article here:
http://thedamienzone.com/2012/08/17/atheism-as-a-mental-disorder-or-illness-new-studies-say-yes/
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by ScienceWatch: 2:19am On Dec 03, 2016
AnonyNymous:

Ahh. I see why you created this thread. You completely missed the point of those statements. Ok, look at the modern world Christians. They are busy signing petitions to the white house against stem cell research. Telling us not to try to become god. That's ridiculous, imo. Do you know the different breakthroughs we could achieve if it was allowed? The possibilities are too many. That's exactly the point. Religion has stopped people from questioning the world as we know it. People like Galileo were afraid to report their findings because the church would be on their neck for invalidating the previous religious belief that the earth was the centre of the universe. People can achieve things, irrespective of their religion. But a problem arises when religion is trying to stop people from learning more. Most of the scholars you named did not create things that affected the Bible. The point isn't that 'atheism achieved more' because atheism is just unbelief in religion and nothing more. The moment we started to free ourselves from superstitions, we were able to question things openly. The development of the world in the past 100 years is more than the development of man since the beginning of time.
Atheism is a mental illness….
The insane men who founded atheism also have the greatest influence on Psychology and Psychiatry, Charles Darwin, Sigmund Freud, Thomas Henry Huxley and Nietzsche all shared certain common experiences and a definite psychological pattern is evident. Their early childhoods were marked by some form of spiritual training. They were men whose dominating, overbearing and even abusive fathers led them to rebellion and renunciations of God.
They endured cold, ruthless parents, grew up in an environment of bullying and abuse often done in the name of God.

These boys hated their fathers, these spiritual wounds festered a rebellion against a hostile father they identified with a hostile God. They made it their lives work to destroy the God who had come to symbolize their father.

Charles Darwin – he lived the greatest portion of his life in deep depression, there is a history of mental illness in his family. He believed his dad had the power of prediction; He had an endless catalogue of psychosomatic illnesses and lived as a semi invalid barely past thirty.

Thomas Henry Huxley- he detested his hot tempered father he suffered terrible bullying at school and had a terrible fear of insanity, which ran in his family. In fact his father died in an insane asylum. His hatred of God was rooted in the fear that the insanity in his family was caused by unclean spirits. He believed he had been poisoned by vapours from a dead body. After his only son dies of scarlet fever he detested God and believed he was cruel, hostile, angry and indifferent to suffering.

Nietzsche – Grew up with no male role model, he was a repressed homosexual and a victim of syphilis, depression and senility. He blamed his mom for the death of his father.

Sigmund Freud – he believed a female is a failed boy and he was obsessed with the incestuous conquest of his mother and rivalry with his dad. The desire to have sex with his mother and kill his father haunted his dreams. He believed women wanted sex with there fathers and stories of rape and molestation were fantasies. Instead of victims these women were villains.
These four prophets of atheism and many more all had powerful domineering fathers. They were fearful, weak, submissive kids. They all grew up with a history of headaches, depression , obsessive fears, extreme shyness, intestinal disorders, and made it there lives work to destroy God who had come to symbolize there fathers.
“ Its Madness”
View full article here:
http://www.news24.com/MyNews24/Atheism-is-a-mental-illness-20120413
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by ScienceWatch: 2:20am On Dec 03, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
Do you know that the founders of modern science where the Christians and Muslims ? Do you know that the prominent achievements in science , philosophy and technology in the medieval age - 5th - 15th century - were made by religious people ?

Atheists have made so many false claims and I want them to vindicate themselves by telling us the major achievements of atheists during that era.
The insane men who founded atheism also have the greatest influence on Psychology and Psychiatry, Charles Darwin, Sigmund Freud, Thomas Henry Huxley and Nietzsche all shared certain common experiences and a definite psychological pattern is evident. Their early childhoods were marked by some form of spiritual training. They were men whose dominating, overbearing and even abusive fathers led them to rebellion and renunciations of God.

They endured cold, ruthless parents, grew up in an environment of bullying and abuse often done in the name of God.
These boys hated their fathers, these spiritual wounds festered a rebellion against a hostile father they identified with a hostile God. They made it their lives work to destroy the God who had come to symbolize their father.

Charles Darwin – he lived the greatest portion of his life in deep depression, there is a history of mental illness in his family. He believed his dad had the power of prediction; He had an endless catalogue of psychosomatic illnesses and lived as a semi invalid barely past thirty.

Thomas Henry Huxley- he detested his hot tempered father he suffered terrible bullying at school and had a terrible fear of insanity, which ran in his family. In fact his father died in an insane asylum. His hatred of God was rooted in the fear that the insanity in his family was caused by unclean spirits. He believed he had been poisoned by vapours from a dead body. After his only son dies of scarlet fever he detested God and believed he was cruel, hostile, angry and indifferent to suffering.

Nietzsche – Grew up with no male role model, he was a repressed homosexual and a victim of syphilis, depression and senility. He blamed his mom for the death of his father.

Sigmund Freud – he believed a female is a failed boy and he was obsessed with the incestuous conquest of his mother and rivalry with his dad. The desire to have sex with his mother and kill his father haunted his dreams. He believed women wanted sex with there fathers and stories of rape and molestation were fantasies. Instead of victims these women were villains.
These four prophets of atheism and many more all had powerful domineering fathers. They were fearful, weak, submissive kids. They all grew up with a history of headaches, depression , obsessive fears, extreme shyness, intestinal disorders, and made it there lives work to destroy God who had come to symbolize there fathers.
“ Its Madness”
View full article here:
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by ScienceWatch: 2:23am On Dec 03, 2016
The insane men who founded atheism also have the greatest influence on Psychology and Psychiatry, Charles Darwin, Sigmund Freud, Thomas Henry Huxley and Nietzsche all shared certain common experiences and a definite psychological pattern is evident. Their early

childhoods were marked by some form of spiritual training. They were men whose dominating, overbearing and even abusive fathers led them to rebellion and renunciations of God.

“ Its Madness”
View full article here:
EyeHateGod:
Sometime in the 1650s, just as the Scientific Revolution was breaking into a run, several copies of an anonymous book began circulating around Europe a book filled to the brim with forceful arguments against belief in God. Theophrastus redivivus started by declaring that every great philosopher in every age has been an atheist (whether he could openly admit it or not), that all religions are fictions, and that anyone claiming to have proof of the existence of a god is lying or mentally ill. That was just on the first page. The rest was a collection of arguments against belief by writers and thinkers through the ages a kind of freethought anthology and the first book-length work of atheist thought produced in Europe. Passed secretly from hand to hand and house to house, Theophrastus touched off a century of whispered discussions and arguments about the existence of God and spawned more than 200 anonymous pamphlets, essays, and handwritten books arguing against religious belief, known collectively as the clandestina. It’s hard to really get inside the mind of a person from the 17th century,to fully grasp how different the world looked before all those later centuries happened. Atheism wasn’t just a weird minority opinion at the time. For most people, it was completely unthinkable that God didn’t exist. A 17th-century understanding of science no matter what century a person actually lives in makes it bone-crushingly obvious that an intelligent designer created the world. As a result, atheism fascinated and repelled the 17th-century mind. Some people in the period even considered atheism to be evidence of serious mental illness. And you know what? If I were alive in the 17th century, before science began to really fill in the gaps, I’d probably have to agree. Around 1700, a different breed of atheist tract appeared, one that didn’t just collect atheist opinion from the past but made new and compelling arguments for atheism and against religious belief, including some informed by the new Scientific Revolution. The ball set rolling by Theophrastus was headed straight for the Age of Reason, knocking over the pins of superstition as it went. The impact of the clandestina was huge. Many of the main arguments and ideas of the Enlightenment started in these secret, anonymous documents. After centuries of religion arguing with itself through the Reformation and several religious wars, the very idea of religious belief was finally getting a sustained challenge. But unlike those religious wars, the atheist’s main weapons, then as now, were words, arguments, and ideas.

Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by ScienceWatch: 2:24am On Dec 03, 2016
Muafrika2:
Atheism was invented during the french revolution. Before that, theywere part of the church. And you wonder why the church went through the dark ages... undecided
The results of this study have unnerved even the most stoic scientists, physicians and researchers.

New information from a 22-year old study at a German University has many psychiatrists and psychologists throughout the world wondering if atheism is a sign or warning of a more serious mental illness already present or in the process of developing.

Doctors are searching for a gene that might cause a correlation between serious mental illness and what they are calling “overt atheism.”

For the time being psychiatrists and research psychologists in Germany and Switzerland are calling this medical anomaly, “The Misfit Syndrome.”
Doctors at the University in Hamburg have been investigating the connection between religious beliefs and overall mental health and the results of the study have unnerved even the most stoic scientists, physicians and researchers.
http://thedamienzone.com/2012/08/17/atheism-as-a-mental-disorder-or-illness-new-studies-say-yes/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:14am On Dec 15, 2016
More contributions please .
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by Nobody: 9:36am On Dec 15, 2016
absolutely none but irrationality
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by ScienceWatch: 10:12pm On Dec 17, 2016
ScienceWatch:
The results of this study have unnerved even the most stoic scientists, physicians and researchers.

New information from a 22-year old study at a German University has many psychiatrists and psychologists throughout the world wondering if atheism is a sign or warning of a more serious mental illness already present or in the process of developing.

Doctors are searching for a gene that might cause a correlation between serious mental illness and what they are calling “overt atheism.”

For the time being psychiatrists and research psychologists in Germany and Switzerland are calling this medical anomaly, “The Misfit Syndrome.”
Doctors at the University in Hamburg have been investigating the connection between religious beliefs and overall mental health and the results of the study have unnerved even the most stoic scientists, physicians and researchers.
Hi muafrika2, Do you see the problem ? When we turn our precious attention to the french revolution while refusing to examine the consequences of atheism today, the cruel truth about atheism remains.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

El-zakzaky’s Group Visits Church On New Year Day (photos) / Pope To Young Italians: Don't Be Selfish, We Need More Children Than Pets / The Lord’s Chosen Auditorium Collapses In Asaba (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.