Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,886 members, 7,817,612 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Owerri Refuse: We Deliberately Left It To Punish Indigenes – Imo Govt - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Owerri Refuse: We Deliberately Left It To Punish Indigenes – Imo Govt (29547 Views)

Rochas Okorocha Poses With Kelechi Iheanacho & His 'Squad' In Imo Govt House.PIC / OWERRI REFUSE: Okorocha Has Subjected Imo People To Torture —REP / Rochas Okorocha Inspects Traditional Guard Of Honour Attached To Imo Govt House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Owerri Refuse: We Deliberately Left It To Punish Indigenes – Imo Govt by onunwa21(m): 6:58pm On Oct 07, 2016
Now I believe OBJ is a prophet. His words,I gave you Imo people small thief (Ohakim), you people said you want big thief. Take Rochas.
Re: Owerri Refuse: We Deliberately Left It To Punish Indigenes – Imo Govt by Abagworo(m): 6:58pm On Oct 07, 2016
In 2012 IMSU relocation met stiff opposition which made the Governor convert the site to a different University. This is the state of the New University as at 3 months ago. Owerri market will surely close for good of everyone while a new mall befitting of a city center probably called Ekeukwu Mall gets it replaced. Thats my dream for every city in Nigeria. We need to upgrade from the normal.

Re: Owerri Refuse: We Deliberately Left It To Punish Indigenes – Imo Govt by chachanga: 7:41pm On Oct 07, 2016
NgcoboP:

wailing form has finished

haba, not even a photocopied one?
Assist dem abeg! nor be only odour, even rain dey beat them dia now

1 Like

Re: Owerri Refuse: We Deliberately Left It To Punish Indigenes – Imo Govt by Nobody: 7:44pm On Oct 07, 2016
chachanga:

haba, not even a photocopied one?
Assist dem abeg! nor be only odour, even rain dey beat them dia now
FFK JUST REVEALED THAT BUHARI RECEIVED 19 BILLION NAIRA IN CASH FROM A STATE GOVERNOR IN THE SW AND ANOTHER 24.6 BILLION NAIRA ON CAMERA .... MAKING 43.6 OF OUR YAMS
Re: Owerri Refuse: We Deliberately Left It To Punish Indigenes – Imo Govt by mandax: 7:55pm On Oct 07, 2016
Abagworo:
In 2012 IMSU relocation met stiff opposition which made the Governor convert the site to a different University. This is the state of the New University as at 3 months ago. Owerri market will surely close for good of everyone while a new mall befitting of a city center probably called Ekeukwu Mall gets it replaced. Thats my dream for every city in Nigeria. We need to upgrade from the normal.

Early this year the day Gov. Okorocha received License for Eastern Palm University in Ideato South lga, he said it had taken him 12 years dream to have Eastern Palm University to come to reality.

Fow now, no matter the Public-Private Enterprise tag which IMSG attaches to Eastern Palm University, it shall sooner or later become a Private University of Rochas Foundation.
1;
So what has IMSUTH Orlu which has been deeply developed in its present site and has been most viable before Okorocha abandoned the roads leading to IMSUTH, got to do with Eastern Palm University which shall soon become a PRIVATE enterprise?
2;
If Okorocha government was not able to relocate IMSU to wherever in 2012, (there was no true intention to relocate IMSU from Owerri then to elsewhere), is it now that the atmosphere is overcharged that IMSG can afford to remove IMSU from Owerri? And to where?
Re: Owerri Refuse: We Deliberately Left It To Punish Indigenes – Imo Govt by akigbemaru: 10:08pm On Oct 07, 2016
Refuse dump in Owerri!
Re: Owerri Refuse: We Deliberately Left It To Punish Indigenes – Imo Govt by Bobbybube(m): 12:40am On Oct 08, 2016
MadCow1:

Take a deep breathe and calm down.. We can be civil in this discussion.

The Governor has honored the Court Order, that's why no bulldozers have rolled in just yet.

I did not say the court order should be trashed, go and re-read my post and see that I never said that.

The little I know spoke to the facts on ground. Governor wants to relocate market, "STAKEHOLDERS" go to court and stonewalled the move.

I simply wrote about how I would have handled it. I agree with the Governor that the Market should be relocated. My experience as a Nigerian has shown me that Nigerians are not always honest with themselves. The Market has grown too big for that location and is causing both vehicular and human traffic, generates a shiitload of waste as is evident in the picture and is an eyesore to that general area. The last time I passed that road (trying to go to Aba), it was a really shiity experience.

The courts have given there orders. As a Governor, I would respect it. But I will police and tax that neighborhood so hard, it would not be convenient for that market to thrive there. I would do things like place high parking taxes on people going to the Market, arrest and fine loiterers and jay-walkers, arrest and fine hawkers and squatters, regulate the Market activities with a really hard hand. If they dont want to move to a new more convinient location, then they would remain at this location under very strict regulatory laws. WIN - WIN. grin

Yeah I get that the will of the people (mostly the marketers and probably the community that makes money off of the Market in taxes and levies) may not agree with the Market being moved, but one thing I know is that Majority isn't always right. especially in this case where the people opposing the movement of the market are the stakeholders of the market.

ALL the Governor has done is honour the Court Order and left the Market alone (including the waste they generate and the nuisance they constitute).

First And foremost, I apologize for my attacks. I felt it was someone with no knowledge of the environment not knowing you have seen the great Ekeukwu in flesh and blood.
To be candid, what you said is true. No one can deny that the market and the area as a whole is too congested and rowdy. It is a fact.
What you have not considered is the "situation and tensions on ground". It is obvious that imolites have lost faith in their governor. They simply do not trust him. Also, that market has sentimental value to the owerri man. He will fight till his last drop of blood for it. Other governments have tried and failed so Rochas is simply wasting his time.
What you would have done does seem good , but in effect, can lead to disastrous outcomes.
I think the first step is to sit with the stakeholders and find middle ground.
In the end it can be decided to remove street traders totally, expand the roads, build car park curb illegal parking, driving away of those rowdy motor parks etc. Also they could increase their tax and renovate the market so that it is more space conservative and more modern. Many structures will be demolished and more land annexed. In other words, the 'main' market remains but becomes smaller, less rowdy and more modern. Those street traders are relocated to the new site. With time everything evens out and everybody is happy.
That is what would have worked out in Imo state. Unfortunately, Mr. governor would need to be trusted first.
Re: Owerri Refuse: We Deliberately Left It To Punish Indigenes – Imo Govt by tit(f): 12:49am On Oct 08, 2016
the people that voted this rochas,
them get shame?
Re: Owerri Refuse: We Deliberately Left It To Punish Indigenes – Imo Govt by Bobbybube(m): 1:14am On Oct 08, 2016
Abagworo:

You assumed too much. Do you believe the Governor singlehandedly made the decision without consultation? The consultations started 4 years ago and the agreement was reached then and updated recently with the traders. Google it and verify from many sources.

http://www.imostateblog.com/2012/10/15/details-from-governor-rochas-okorochas-meeting-with-street-traders-in-owerri/

http://theleaderassumpta.com/2015/11/15/govt-to-relocate-ekeukwu-traders-to-onitsha-road-owerri/

Again the title of this thread and Vanguard frequent false or twisted news about Okorocha should be taken with a pinch of salt. This entire thread is based on false allegation because no official made such comments. He said the indigenes got a court injuction refraining Government from working in the market and its environs hence the Government is obeying the court.
I will verify and confirm those reports duly and if wrong, I will check my "assumptions".
I wish to communicate privately with you sir. A pm will be ideal if possible.
Re: Owerri Refuse: We Deliberately Left It To Punish Indigenes – Imo Govt by Tinyemeka(m): 6:23am On Oct 08, 2016
Boleyndynasty2:
I gave up on Rochas long time ago, I didn't even know that road is now this bad and yet they have a Governor. I actually blame imo people not Rochas undecided let them suffer for their stupidity

My dear it pains real bad. We all knew Rochas was a fraud. Ihedioha has a human heart but the people of Orlu and co would have none of that.

Rochas loves the hausas far more than his kinsmen. Everyone knows that.

Anything APC touches just turns to mold. sad
Re: Owerri Refuse: We Deliberately Left It To Punish Indigenes – Imo Govt by neo25(m): 10:06am On Oct 08, 2016
I live in owerri, as much as I don't support the move by the imo State government, the move by the Indigenes of that area hosting the market is greed of the highest order, because they collect N300 from each roadside trader, they prefer to keep them blocking a major road leading to Other Southern States. It is so disheartening to co-exist with little minded people.
Re: Owerri Refuse: We Deliberately Left It To Punish Indigenes – Imo Govt by Omegasholex: 3:21pm On Oct 08, 2016
regardless of what ever defense anybody has even if the road has been like that before independence it is the duty of the governor to fix it.saying it is a punishment is the height of senselessness. I hope one day we can rise up as a people to fight these fools governing us.
God bless Nigeria
Re: Owerri Refuse: We Deliberately Left It To Punish Indigenes – Imo Govt by papat26(m): 5:23pm On Oct 09, 2016
you people voted him in,this is the beginning of your problems because we told you people not vote him but you people refused and votes him in so let you people stop complaining

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fayemi Joins Akeredolu’s Victory Train (Photos) / The Moment Buhari Announced Suspension Of CJN Walter Onnoghen / Adamawa Governorship Election Inconclusive – INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.