Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,339 members, 7,829,866 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

How To Handle Arguments And Disagreement With Your Spouse - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How To Handle Arguments And Disagreement With Your Spouse (630 Views)

Lady Goes On Rampage, Destroys Lover's House After Disagreement. Photos / Approaching The Beautiful Woman: How To Handle The Pressure Points / Disagreement Is Inevitable For A Healthy Relationship - Bamisepeters' Blog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Handle Arguments And Disagreement With Your Spouse by Johnhappydgreat(m): 11:58pm On Nov 17, 2016
Every couple experiences disagreements. When handled with care, respect and understanding, couples can resolve their differences in a positive way and learn more about each other. When not resolved properly, couples can quickly become isolated and driven apart.
IDENTIFYING YOUR ARGUMENT STYLE
Working out how you and your partner respond to conflict can help you to understand how arguments develop.
Subtle subversive: tends to avoid confrontation and often hints at problems through silence, nagging or whining. The problem is often the long build-up that develops before an argument breaks out.
High-level attacker: often vocal and dominating during an argument. They may have come from environments where arguments were loud and frequent, and so see this style as normal.
Pre-emptive striker: dislikes blow-ups and try to avoid a full-scale battle by any means. Can be a sensitive and defensive personality.
Shock absorber: afraid of arguments, s/he refuses to engage in a row in any way at all. Beneath the surface can lie unvoiced resentment and bitterness.
Peace-seeking missive: dislikes conflict and seeks to end a row as soon as possible. This can detract from focusing on resolving the cause of the disagreement.
When different styles collide, it can be difficult for a couple to interact effectively during a disagreement. The key thing to focus on is approaching the issue as the enemy, and seeing yourselves as comrades in arms.
Here are some early warning signs that a conflict is brewing:
You avoid eye contact, physical affection and sex.
You contract or question your partner on everything.
You respond to attempts at conversation with short, curt replies.
Your thoughts are focused on your partner’s negative qualities.
HOW TO CONTROL YOUR ANGER
If you display some of these signs you should first acknowledge your feelings and pinpoint the emotions you’re feeling. Then try to identify the trigger and consider whether external circumstances are making you more sensitive.
Decide whether the issue really matters before raising it with your partner. If it’s not important, get back on track by reassuring yourself and using positive self-talk to calm your anger. Aim to reconnect with your partner using either physical touch or words.
MASTER THE ART OF NEGOTIATION TO IMPROVE COMMUNICATION
Conflict is often fuelled by miscommunication. When couples start to argue, there’s often a focus on winning the fight, rather than resolving the issue. You need to listen to each other’s opinions and perspective without judgement. When asking questions, keep your tone and language relaxed and open. When you’ve identified the problem, it becomes easier to agree on a goal. There are a number of ways in which you can resolve your difficulties.
Compromise: Both parties agree to back down a bit. But this can be a limited way of solving a problem, with both partners making sacrifices but possibly without achieving an ultimate solution.
Collaboration: Couples focus on how to reach their goal by working together to find a new way of attaining a solution which works for both sides.
Exchange deal: Oone partner agrees to the other’s wishes, but in turn makes a request which s/he feels is of equal value.
Re: How To Handle Arguments And Disagreement With Your Spouse by Nobody: 11:59pm On Nov 17, 2016
I won't even argue sef,,I will just walk outta wherever she is..when temper done chill,we will resume conversation...I no sabi talk too much
Re: How To Handle Arguments And Disagreement With Your Spouse by Nobody: 12:18am On Nov 18, 2016
I am not one for arguing. Saying things in anger results in sometimes saying something you will forever regret. However I do believe in saying my point of view how else is going to know he fckd up if I don't pin point the obvious?I expect the same. But this habit of waking up the whole neighbourhood because of shouting and fighting, not my style.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Handle Arguments And Disagreement With Your Spouse by Nobody: 1:05am On Nov 18, 2016
Raine80:
I am not one for arguing. Saying things in anger results in sometimes saying something you will forever regret. However I do believe in saying my point of view how else is going to know he fckd up if I don't pin point the obvious?I expect the same. But this habit of waking up the whole neighbourhood because of shouting and fighting, not my style.
why do the pretty ones only comment @ night angry
Re: How To Handle Arguments And Disagreement With Your Spouse by MrCork: 1:14am On Nov 18, 2016
Johnhappydgreat:
Every couple experiences disagreements. When handled with care, respect and understanding, couples can resolve their differences in a positive way and learn more about each other. When not resolved properly, couples can quickly become isolated and driven apart.
IDENTIFYING YOUR ARGUMENT STYLE
Working out how you and your partner respond to conflict can help you to understand how arguments develop.
Subtle subversive: tends to avoid confrontation and often hints at problems through silence, nagging or whining. The problem is often the long build-up that develops before an argument breaks out.
High-level attacker: often vocal and dominating during an argument. They may have come from environments where arguments were loud and frequent, and so see this style as normal.
Pre-emptive striker: dislikes blow-ups and try to avoid a full-scale battle by any means. Can be a sensitive and defensive personality.
Shock absorber: afraid of arguments, s/he refuses to engage in a row in any way at all. Beneath the surface can lie unvoiced resentment and bitterness.
Peace-seeking missive: dislikes conflict and seeks to end a row as soon as possible. This can detract from focusing on resolving the cause of the disagreement.
When different styles collide, it can be difficult for a couple to interact effectively during a disagreement. The key thing to focus on is approaching the issue as the enemy, and seeing yourselves as comrades in arms.
Here are some early warning signs that a conflict is brewing:
You avoid eye contact, physical affection and sex.
You contract or question your partner on everything.
You respond to attempts at conversation with short, curt replies.
Your thoughts are focused on your partner’s negative qualities.
HOW TO CONTROL YOUR ANGER
If you display some of these signs you should first acknowledge your feelings and pinpoint the emotions you’re feeling. Then try to identify the trigger and consider whether external circumstances are making you more sensitive.
Decide whether the issue really matters before raising it with your partner. If it’s not important, get back on track by reassuring yourself and using positive self-talk to calm your anger. Aim to reconnect with your partner using either physical touch or words.
MASTER THE ART OF NEGOTIATION TO IMPROVE COMMUNICATION
Conflict is often fuelled by miscommunication. When couples start to argue, there’s often a focus on winning the fight, rather than resolving the issue. You need to listen to each other’s opinions and perspective without judgement. When asking questions, keep your tone and language relaxed and open. When you’ve identified the problem, it becomes easier to agree on a goal. There are a number of ways in which you can resolve your difficulties.
Compromise: Both parties agree to back down a bit. But this can be a limited way of solving a problem, with both partners making sacrifices but possibly without achieving an ultimate solution.
Collaboration: Couples focus on how to reach their goal by working together to find a new way of attaining a solution which works for both sides.
Exchange deal: Oone partner agrees to the other’s wishes, but in turn makes a request which s/he feels is of equal value.

..but can't you juss slap her face? angry
Re: How To Handle Arguments And Disagreement With Your Spouse by Nobody: 1:17am On Nov 18, 2016
Justdulla:

why do the pretty ones only comment @ night angry
I just got home ...that's why I am up.
Re: How To Handle Arguments And Disagreement With Your Spouse by manproud247(m): 4:35am On Nov 18, 2016
If your spouse is a woman, don't bother arguing. She is always perfect and can do no wrong. She won't claim responsibility. Your best weapon as a man is to not give what she crave most which is your attention i.e walk away, stop talking to her or looking at her, ignore her. She will get on her knees to beg you.
Re: How To Handle Arguments And Disagreement With Your Spouse by emoa2002(m): 4:44am On Nov 18, 2016
manproud247:
If your spouse is a woman, don't bother arguing. She is always perfect and can do no wrong. She won't claim responsibility. Your best weapon as a man is to not give what she crave most which is your attention i.e walk away, stop talking to her or looking at her, ignore her. She will get on her knees to beg you.

You are right, but don't be too hard, remember she's your spouse and sweet lady for matter abi.

(1) (Reply)

Hilarious Response To A Frauster / 5 Signs The Girl Your Dating Is About To Cheat On You / Big Cassava Or Cucumber? Ariwo Ko!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.