Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,893 members, 7,817,627 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! (39106 Views)

More Trouble In Buhari Camp: Buhari’s Men Subdue Amaechi, Initiates Probe / Dino Melaye To SARS: "I Will Kill Myself And Put You People In Trouble" / Governor Wike Views Port-Harcourt City From A Helicopter (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by megainvest: 1:26pm On Dec 08, 2016
Thank you very much OP. I have noticed this myself for quite some time now. If you are in Port Harcourt and still think this is a joke, try this:

Use a piece of tissue paper or your handkerchief to wipe the insides of your nostrils gently. You will likely find these particles on it.

Lets make this thread go viral. We need answers!

4 Likes

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by olanie(m): 1:27pm On Dec 08, 2016
As a matter of Public Interest, this thread should stick to the Front Page till it get enough attention.

Cc. Seun

4 Likes

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by krixik(m): 1:27pm On Dec 08, 2016
Side effect of oil and gas exploration without regard to the environment.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Iyke366: 1:28pm On Dec 08, 2016
Gas flaring is at it. Its the same thing in places like eket and ibeno in Akwa Ibom state. The rate at which new roofs turn black is worrisome too. At night, you can see the illumination of the sky due to the ever-burning flame. Gas flaring should be stopped for the sake of lives and the environment
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by fakati(m): 1:29pm On Dec 08, 2016
May be as a result of innocent blood crying for vengeance.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by osuntokun(m): 1:34pm On Dec 08, 2016
That's true. I noticed it like 3 weeks ago where I live around okilton, Mgbuoba axis. It is important for us to know the affected area in port Harcourt
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Miranda11: 1:35pm On Dec 08, 2016
Hmmm this I hear has been d case in PHC for months even since last year. I guess it slowly moving to different areas now. I hear that even closing the windows does not really help.

Where is the environmental protection agency when u need them cos this appears to be a case of serious air pollution!!!

Elections are 2mrw, hope pple will have dis in mind as they cast their votes shocked
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by teewazup: 1:36pm On Dec 08, 2016
I suspect these black materials coming from ELEME PETROCHEMICALS. Even rain water drops in a bucket leaves black residues in the bucket.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by denisopapa: 1:42pm On Dec 08, 2016
I have been asking question because I have noticed it in my house even my nostrils are black
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by kaptaintintin: 1:42pm On Dec 08, 2016
All dis pipo wey no de baff... mtcheww
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by toprealman: 1:43pm On Dec 08, 2016
OP could you please confirm your area. For those that observed same thing, do well to equally confirm your location.
No need to throw punches, urgent solution is what is needed.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Otitemmanu: 1:45pm On Dec 08, 2016
I wonder what it is that is making someone leg black like charcoal.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by TheTrueSeeker: 1:45pm On Dec 08, 2016
toprealman:
OP could you please confirm your area. For those that observed same thing, do well to equally confirm your location.
No need to throw punches, urgent solution is what is needed.

First in Rumuodara, along Okporo Rd and then I moved to Woji

2 Likes

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by DerideGull(m): 1:46pm On Dec 08, 2016
BMedia:

Why don't you keep supporting the avengers to continue blowing the pipelines? Why are you wailing here?

It seems like you thought blowing your pipelines will affect the average man in Daura or Kano? Because you sound surprised at seeing and breathing the pollution from bombing and bunkering in your backyard.

I think the O.P should direct her question to the nairaland avengers and IPOD for an answer.

Most Nigerians are daftly moronic. Is there any proof that the "black stuff" is linked to Avenger's blowing up the pipelines? The alleged "black stuff" could have come from burnt tires or other sources.

2 Likes

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by MChaze25(m): 1:47pm On Dec 08, 2016
This is one reason I hardly stay weeks either in LAGOS OR PH.....Environmental pollution....These two cities need a total overhaul. Even ABJ to an extent
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Bryan12(m): 1:49pm On Dec 08, 2016
fakati:
May be as a result of innocent blood crying for vengeance.
undecided
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by PAQ(m): 1:49pm On Dec 08, 2016
I left PH in the year 2000, i had noticed these things as a young man den. I felt dat was how the whole Nigeria was until i worked in Edo state; Oredo flow station. I worked about 300metres away from the gas flare itself (u need to feel the heat from that fire). I never saw no black dust/particles in Edo state despite working so close. This thing OP has stated is very serious n has been going on 4 years but as we r best known; suffering n smiling.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by niri(m): 1:50pm On Dec 08, 2016
[quote author=talk4free post=51729671]

Congratulations for being the most stupid person on nairaland. What has the op said or done that is wrong in your eyes? I was looking at the black dust I had been noticing for the past week wondering if I was the only one. Then I called people in Woji, elelenwo, transamadi and abuloma and they all confirmed observing same. No one has a clue where its coming from so what video do you expect from the op?

We are talking about a serious environmental hazard here and little kids with fragile lungs are breathing this same soot.

Abeg for people with brains anyone with any idea what's the cause of this? Apparently its been on for months but people are just noticing it now. Check d Chinese firmsin ur area
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by madjune(m): 1:53pm On Dec 08, 2016
Quickly send some write ups about this to some major newspapers.

There's serious air pollution out there with terrible cancer loading.

I blame the oil companies una get there.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by jnoz23(m): 1:55pm On Dec 08, 2016
Inside FOT ONNE, u cant wash and spread ur white clothes outside overnite without seeing numerous carbon stains in d morning.

Work of pol fire cooking everywhere
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Nobody: 1:55pm On Dec 08, 2016
You are very correct OP.

I have been noticing it since June - July this year around Peter Odili axis. It is obvious on cars early morning, your window nets, even inside your house, you notice the sole of your feet being black when you walk around without foot wear inside. Because of this my swimming pool is being overworked for it to get rid of the soot.

I was curious and have to be calling friends around to trace the source and way forward. I was able to confirm that it is a new development around Peter Odili, Abuloma, Trans-Amadi, Old GRA, Woji, etc. and even sometimes up to Aba.

LIKELY SOURCES.
From my own investigation, the following were my initial suspects
1. Soot from tyre / bamboo burning in 'slaughter' when roasting cow and other animals. But this was ruled out because the area covered by the soot is overwhelming for this to be the source. Moreover, using of tyres for roasting has been banned.

2. Pollutions from nearby industrial processes. Oil exploration / production and refining activities around are not left out. This could result more if there is oil carryover(s) to the flare. But I personally ruled this out after investigation as there are no close oil installations around with such a tick burning flare as a symptom of much oil carryover which could be responsible for the carbon soot being noticed around. Also the timing that the soot usually spreed also rules them out. Because flaring is continuous, whereas i noticed that this spread of soot is usually at night / early morning before 07H00.

3. THIS HAPPENS TO BE THE CULPRIT FROM MY INVESTIGATIONS (I ALSO STAND CORRECTED THOUGH)
After careful analyses and investigations made, I was able to narrow it to the recent increase in oil bunkering / local crude oil refining activities around the creeks of Abuloma and neighboring communities. This is no coincidence as the timing of their local refining also match with the time of the soot spread. Illegal refineries operations have been on the rise since the recent economic condition of the country and some alleged non-payment of ex-militants. Many of them have returned to the creeks to source for livelihood. even security agents are not helping matters on this, as it is also alleged that they even participate indirectly in this act. For those that live around, you might notice that small tankers usually move products out of these areas even without being intercepted by security personnel... I have to stop here pls....

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS TO MITIGATE ITS CONSEQUENCES.

1. Our beloved brothers and friends indulging in this act of local refining should be educated on the health risk / hazards associated with their operations. Not just for people living around, but also for them carrying out the activities. Because they are even closer to the real dangers (BTEX, benzene, and even NORMS etc) If this is not stopped on time, don't be surprised in the future when people start giving birth to children with various disorders.
Because these uncontrolled pollutants can cause genetic mutations. and even rise in medical cases like respiratory diseases and cancers etc.

If you can't endure or protect yourself, start thinking of relocation as this is a serious health issue.

2. The government needs to be responsible to the people. It is not all about ''CHANGE BEGINS WITH ME MANTRA'' but this change should BEGIN WITH THE GOVERNMENT. It is the job of the government to ensure and guaranty the welfare, protection, safety, and security of the people. If government is responsible, half of this problem if not 75% will be solved. We have various ministries / agencies in Nigeria collecting salaries and dues as operational permits from companies, but don't do their major jobs. We have ministry of environment in Nigeria / Rivers state for example, but is not concerned about the environment, its protection, and the safety of humans as a result of unlawful activities resulting to pollution....

3. For me what I have done for the interim, knowing the possible source and time of spread of the soot.
a. I ensure all my windows are almost 95% closed at all time, especially at night
b. install and continue using your cooker hood in kitchen
c. put on your ACs more often to keep your entire house cool.
d. Occasionally open windows during the day for ventilation of the house, and close before 8PM etc.

With the above mentioned, I have been able to control the ingress of the menace inside my house, thereby reducing the possible inhalation of soot, the usual blackened sole of feet has stopped with this, and also the routine of cleaning the house on daily basis has also stopped. For now there are no significant soot entering my house since I adopted these control measures. THOUGH THEY ARE QUITE EXPENSIVE CONTROLS, BUT IT IS WORTH IT!!!!!!!

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by phkka1(m): 1:55pm On Dec 08, 2016
I noticed this few days ago. Even this morning I was complaining to my wife who also confirmed it. I wondered the quantity we must have inhaled into our system.

1 Like

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by sammyp01: 1:57pm On Dec 08, 2016
I stay in golf estate and it has been a source of concern.
Fortunately I listen to Niginfo when some NGO gave explanation on the cause of this,they said it's cause by activities of illegal oil refineries
And the destruction of these refineries by the JTF.
The constant gas flaring from eleme refinery is also a factor.
The solution you and I can give is to create more awareness about this.

1 Like

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by fujirice: 2:01pm On Dec 08, 2016
OP thank you for bringing this up.
This was the exact thing I noticed in Warri, Lagos and Port Harcourt the first time I visited but like someone said earlier, I shrugged it off after few days and life moved on.
Please let the appropriate bodies do their job.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by topelenege: 2:01pm On Dec 08, 2016
Rumuomasi is the worst hit.
We thought it was our diesel generator till friends told us the same.

1 Like

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by yarimo(m): 2:01pm On Dec 08, 2016
olipo:
nahYou be village boy gan!!
kikikiki please no kill me with laugh abeg, I sabi you for your village
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by sixthmars: 2:03pm On Dec 08, 2016
talk4free:

Congratulations for being the most stupid person on nairaland. What has the op said or done that is wrong in your eyes? I was looking at the black dust I had been noticing for the past week wondering if I was the only one. Then I called people in Woji, elelenwo, transamadi and abuloma and they all confirmed observing same. No one has a clue where its coming from so what video do you expect from the op?

We are talking about a serious environmental hazard here and little kids with fragile lungs are breathing this same soot.

Abeg for people with brains anyone with any idea what's the cause of this? Apparently its been on for months but people are just noticing it now.

bunkery and other industrial forms burning of crude oil are the major cause of the sooth we are experiencing. I have noticed it too, it stains white clothes spread outside. We need to call the attention of the government, this may lead us to the gas mask wearing seasons of China.

1 Like

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by yarimo(m): 2:03pm On Dec 08, 2016
MONITZ:

Huh, Eranko like u....
kikakihuhuha you just make me to be laughing in your local village language
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by vidid2all: 2:03pm On Dec 08, 2016
I will run a quantitative and qualitative analysis. ...... I have noticed such in my office. I will get some sample and do the test ASAP

1 Like

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by yarimo(m): 2:04pm On Dec 08, 2016
[quote author=buffalowings post=51741946][/quote] grin
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by toprealman: 2:10pm On Dec 08, 2016
20 different locations at leat will be needed for the next line of action. Pls quote me with your location.

1 Like

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Nzeh12(m): 2:12pm On Dec 08, 2016
And I've been mopping everyday wondering where the dirt is coming from. This is serious

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

36 States Governors Meet President Bola Tinubu In Aso Rock / Jonathan Hurries Out Of Otuoke / Sympathizers Storm The Palace Of The Late Ooni Of Ife (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.