Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,786 members, 7,817,257 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! (39104 Views)

More Trouble In Buhari Camp: Buhari’s Men Subdue Amaechi, Initiates Probe / Dino Melaye To SARS: "I Will Kill Myself And Put You People In Trouble" / Governor Wike Views Port-Harcourt City From A Helicopter (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Kamanuozuzu: 3:31am On Dec 09, 2016
obongitiad:
Yeah I noticed how dirty the sole of my feet was. At first I was surprised, then I shrug it off with the excuse that it just might be dust dats all.

Maybe u shd have a biochemist test the dusts under the feet of two or three people for any negative discoveries.

Do u walk about bare-footed?
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by toprealman: 4:13am On Dec 09, 2016
Exciton:

Lol. Don't get upset with me. Direct your anger at the politicians and thieves that use hundreds of millions to clear grass, drill borehole, maintain websites, etc. Direct your anger at fraudulent Professors who don't know shit or have any equipment but manage to miraculously publish tens of experimental papers every year.

Knowledge and skill without the equipment is useless in this case, your eyes can't identify micron and sub-micron sized stuff. Sure, you can build a simple UV-Vis or even Raman (if you've got the cash and MORE equipment to build with) but it won't be calibrated and accurate enough for studies related to something as important as the health of people. You have to BUY the equipment.

But this is PH. Those almighty oil companies (or that petroleum Uni) might have some useful equipment in their QA department.

Anyways, get your kids and yourself nose masks with PM 2.5 grade filters and you might need to change the filters quite often considering that everyone's saying there's lots of that shit in the air.

I ain't part of you o! I'm porting to Kenya or Ghana.
Trust me bro, I ain't angry with thee. I know a person that can add value to a system when I see one. Happy porting....talk of good radiance.!
FYI, I DO NOT RESIDE IN PH sweetheart. You seem to be obsessed with particulate matter. Don't you think we also have other stressors to worry about or is that your limit? #TeamRootCause
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by sky32(m): 5:07am On Dec 09, 2016
This is really serious!...and I was thinking it was my neighbours generator facing my window that was responsible for it..
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by andre377: 7:00am On Dec 09, 2016
very correct bro, i noticed it first wen i wanted to clean my nose with a handkerchief, u need to seee the black stains on the handkerchief, i was surprised, every morning wen i want to wash car i see a lot of black stuffs on the car then i will be wondering how it came about.... the black feet also is true, sometimes i just enter the bathroom to scrub my feet, after some minutes it will stain again, right now my sister doesn't walk around on barefoot

1 Like

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by topelenege: 7:28am On Dec 09, 2016
We should all send i-witness report to Channels TV. #snapdirtyfeetandsend
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Nobody: 8:14am On Dec 09, 2016
yarimo:
Silly kid keep on asking stupid question,don't go out and confirm what is happening. Keep on sitting in your dirty toilet and to be posting idiotic comments grin

Do the world a favor by just chopping off those leprous fingers of yours used in typing so brainlessly or better still, you can go to the nearest zoo around you and Channel your frustration on any hungry lion in it's den- NONSENSE
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by yarimo(m): 8:24am On Dec 09, 2016
olipo:
u b fool I swear.sorry if I ever bothered you
let me pretend as if I don't no you are FOOLING yourself in a idiotic way. grin
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by yarimo(m): 8:26am On Dec 09, 2016
byrron:

Do the world a favor by just chopping off those leprous fingers of yours used in typing so brainlessly or better still, you can go to the nearest zoo around you and Channel your frustration on any hungry lion in it's den- NONSENSE
let me pretend as if I don't no you are FOOLING yourself in a stupid way. grin
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by infohenry(m): 10:53am On Dec 09, 2016
QuotaSystem:
Are the opinions of 'environmental activists' against Niger Delta militancy now required?

I hope people will now begin to consider the health and environmental effects of oil bunkering, pipeline vandalism and illegal refineries more seriously.
Thank you for d past month people are busy burning crude oil in d Creek producing all manners of kerosene and diesel and counting millions without minding what is happening to the environment. What you are seeing is as result massive burning crude that is going on in the Creek today. I have raise it with safety department of my work place and took them to my car that parked overnight in the company and they saw the carbon all over the cars parked there.

1 Like

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by nzgal: 11:49am On Dec 09, 2016
Port Harcourt Refinery is probably running the carbon black plant and their filter has failed.

It's only that plant that produces such fine soot. It was the same in Warri some years back before the plant failed.

1 Like

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Annie2059: 12:39pm On Dec 09, 2016
..Notice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Nobody: 12:53pm On Dec 09, 2016
yarimo:

The foolish one is you and your stupid initial comment establishes the fact that you are nothing but an e-tout.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Nobody: 12:55pm On Dec 09, 2016
yarimo:

The foolish one is you and your stupid initial comment establishes the fact that you are a certified e-tout.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by yarimo(m): 1:16pm On Dec 09, 2016
byrron:

The foolish one is you and your stupid initial comment establishes the fact that you are a certified e-tout.
a certified e-tout no his fellow certified e-tout grin
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Nobody: 2:46pm On Dec 09, 2016
yarimo:
a certified e-tout no his fellow certified e-tout grin

I thought you were only a tout but I was so shocked to also find out that you are also a thief based on your comment on the the link below were you actually confessed that those ATM criminals were your roll models.

https://www.nairaland.com/3509636/police-arrest-benue-yahoo-boys#51770847

You signed up into nairaland in March 2016 just to showcase your endemic stupidity as well as flaunting your criminal orientations.

Just like your criminal mentors, karma will surely pay you an unannounced visit in it's due time.

Thief!
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by yarimo(m): 3:47pm On Dec 09, 2016
Kikikiki a thief can only identify his fellow thief easily like you just did. MUMU keep wasting your mother's data grin
byrron:

I thought you were only a tout but I was so shocked to also find out that you are also a thief based on your comment on the the link below were you actually confessed that those ATM criminals were your roll models.

https://www.nairaland.com/3509636/police-arrest-benue-yahoo-boys#51770847

You signed up into nairaland in March 2016 just to showcase your endemic stupidity as well as flaunting your criminal orientations.

Just like your criminal mentors, karma will surely pay you an unannounced visit in it's due time.

Thief!
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Nobody: 5:43pm On Dec 09, 2016
yarimo:
Kikikiki a thief can only identify his fellow thief easily like you just did. MUMU keep wasting your mother's data grin

Very capable of feeding your entire family
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by yarimo(m): 6:00pm On Dec 09, 2016
byrron:

Very capable of feeding your entire family
yeah in your MUMU mind you are right. grin cheesy
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Nobody: 6:58pm On Dec 09, 2016
yarimo:
yeah in your MUMU mind you are right. grin cheesy

Can also pay for your medications as well as reorientating your miserable criminal minded hagged self.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Nobody: 7:58pm On Dec 09, 2016
If those particles could be controlled (Particle Manipulation), na to direct them to where the Fulani animals are to eliminate them....
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by yarimo(m): 8:05pm On Dec 09, 2016
byrron:

Can also pay for your medications as well as reorientating your miserable criminal minded hagged self.
so you want nairalanders to no that, you have just been discharge from YABA LEFT hospital abi? grin
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Nobody: 8:55pm On Dec 09, 2016
yarimo:
so you want nairalanders to no that, you have just been discharge from YABA LEFT hospital abi? grin

That place is your natural habitat.
Done with you- Toutic Thief
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by yarimo(m): 9:39pm On Dec 09, 2016
byrron:

That place is your natural habitat.
Done with you- Toutic Thief
kikikiki silly mad zombie no kill me with laugh abeg grin
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by BMedia: 6:32am On Dec 17, 2016
DerideGull:

Most Nigerians are daftly moronic. Is there any proof that the "black stuff" is linked to Avenger's blowing up the pipelines? The alleged "black stuff" could have come from burnt tires or other sources.

Go ahead then and continue cheering the creek terrorists.

Their destruction of oil pipelines and blowing up of oil installations has ZERO effect on the Niger Delta environment. It was a mistake.

Smh. Some Nigerians are truly daftly moronic.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by nnemak(m): 6:48am On Jan 20, 2017
Well it's like the black soot went on holidays during the festive season.
I noticed it came back yesterday 19th January...
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by nnemak(m): 8:35pm On Feb 08, 2017
Getting terrible by the day
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by etiumo: 5:31am On Mar 21, 2018
D bad odour from indorama petrochemical plant in eleme is mostly released into the air at night, very poisonous. I hardly can sleep last night. The odour was too strong
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by etiumo: 5:49am On Mar 21, 2018
MrCyril:
TROUBLE IN PORTHARCOURT CITY!!

Please, all PHC resident:
Have you all noticed
that thick black soothes are all over Portharcourt - even inside the homes- the sole of your feet is very black and we inhale quantities everyday.

Early in the morning your cars are all covered with the same thick soothes.

Nobody seem to be saying anything about it.

Please, my people, what is going on? Could it be that a company is messing up the environment so massively and threatening our survival and we don't seem to know and care?

I am worried.

Let's push this until it gets to the appropriate quarters for answers and solutions
elelewon residents in PH are in serious trouble, black soot, smelling odour from indorama petrochemical plant
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by etiumo: 6:08am On Mar 21, 2018
Tanx for ur knowledge sharing
couragemurphy:
You are very correct OP.

I have been noticing it since June - July this year around Peter Odili axis. It is obvious on cars early morning, your window nets, even inside your house, you notice the sole of your feet being black when you walk around without foot wear inside. Because of this my swimming pool is being overworked for it to get rid of the soot.

I was curious and have to be calling friends around to trace the source and way forward. I was able to confirm that it is a new development around Peter Odili, Abuloma, Trans-Amadi, Old GRA, Woji, etc. and even sometimes up to Aba.

LIKELY SOURCES.
From my own investigation, the following were my initial suspects
1. Soot from tyre / bamboo burning in 'slaughter' when roasting cow and other animals. But this was ruled out because the area covered by the soot is overwhelming for this to be the source. Moreover, using of tyres for roasting has been banned.

2. Pollutions from nearby industrial processes. Oil exploration / production and refining activities around are not left out. This could result more if there is oil carryover(s) to the flare. But I personally ruled this out after investigation as there are no close oil installations around with such a tick burning flare as a symptom of much oil carryover which could be responsible for the carbon soot being noticed around. Also the timing that the soot usually spreed also rules them out. Because flaring is continuous, whereas i noticed that this spread of soot is usually at night / early morning before 07H00.

3. THIS HAPPENS TO BE THE CULPRIT FROM MY INVESTIGATIONS (I ALSO STAND CORRECTED THOUGH)
After careful analyses and investigations made, I was able to narrow it to the recent increase in oil bunkering / local crude oil refining activities around the creeks of Abuloma and neighboring communities. This is no coincidence as the timing of their local refining also match with the time of the soot spread. Illegal refineries operations have been on the rise since the recent economic condition of the country and some alleged non-payment of ex-militants. Many of them have returned to the creeks to source for livelihood. even security agents are not helping matters on this, as it is also alleged that they even participate indirectly in this act. For those that live around, you might notice that small tankers usually move products out of these areas even without being intercepted by security personnel... I have to stop here pls....

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS TO MITIGATE ITS CONSEQUENCES.

1. Our beloved brothers and friends indulging in this act of local refining should be educated on the health risk / hazards associated with their operations. Not just for people living around, but also for them carrying out the activities. Because they are even closer to the real dangers (BTEX, benzene, and even NORMS etc) If this is not stopped on time, don't be surprised in the future when people start giving birth to children with various disorders.
Because these uncontrolled pollutants can cause genetic mutations. and even rise in medical cases like respiratory diseases and cancers etc.

If you can't endure or protect yourself, start thinking of relocation as this is a serious health issue.

2. The government needs to be responsible to the people. It is not all about ''CHANGE BEGINS WITH ME MANTRA'' but this change should BEGIN WITH THE GOVERNMENT. It is the job of the government to ensure and guaranty the welfare, protection, safety, and security of the people. If government is responsible, half of this problem if not 75% will be solved. We have various ministries / agencies in Nigeria collecting salaries and dues as operational permits from companies, but don't do their major jobs. We have ministry of environment in Nigeria / Rivers state for example, but is not concerned about the environment, its protection, and the safety of humans as a result of unlawful activities resulting to pollution....

3. For me what I have done for the interim, knowing the possible source and time of spread of the soot.
a. I ensure all my windows are almost 95% closed at all time, especially at night
b. install and continue using your cooker hood in kitchen
c. put on your ACs more often to keep your entire house cool.
d. Occasionally open windows during the day for ventilation of the house, and close before 8PM etc.

With the above mentioned, I have been able to control the ingress of the menace inside my house, thereby reducing the possible inhalation of soot, the usual blackened sole of feet has stopped with this, and also the routine of cleaning the house on daily basis has also stopped. For now there are no significant soot entering my house since I adopted these control measures. THOUGH THEY ARE QUITE EXPENSIVE CONTROLS, BUT IT IS WORTH IT!!!!!!!
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by austinkenneth: 6:45am On Mar 21, 2018
This is has been going on for three years.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Nobody: 7:49am On Oct 02, 2018
etiumo:
Tanx for ur knowledge sharing

It is my pleasure bro. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Atiku Abubakar Dancing At Lagos Youth Meeting (Photo, Video) / Man Gets Federal Job With The Help Of Dino Melaye. Photo / PDP Campaign Rally In Kaduna State Today-photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.