Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,614 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:18 PM

Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 (52030 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Is An Ojukwu, An Nzeogwu And An Azikiwe All Rolled Into One' - FFK / Florence Ajimobi Presenting Flowers To Adeyinka Adebayo In 1966 (Throwback Photo / Nzeogwu, Orkar Are Martyrs, Says Fani-kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jan 15, 2017
RockHard:

Lol grin grin Omo, you better be careful with the kind of heroes you choose for yourself lest you die before your appointed time cheesy . At least Ojukwu later tamed his restlessness and was successfully rehabilitated into the same system he unsuccessfully led millions of his gullible kinsmen to their untimely death fighting against, enjoying the remainder of his life with a fine younger wife at Enugu before dying at an old ripe age -- a luxury millions of Biafrans that died in that unfortunate war.never got to taste or enjoy. undecided Just saying. cheesy
I was on your side till you praised Nigerian system as a rehabilitator, what are you thinking guy. This country is nothing but a Zoe, anybody that thinks they are living in a working society called nigeria must be high on something.

If you are living in Nigeria with no other country to call home, you are indeed part of a wasted generation.

3 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by owodokiri: 8:20pm On Jan 15, 2017
laudate:

Guy, please go back & read what made Ojukwu embark on a civil war. It had nothing to do with Ogundipe. undecided

I should be telling you that. There is no single book on that event written in Nigeria that I havent read.. You have read none. You are just following hearsay.. Ojukwu insisted that Ogundipe take over after Ironsis death. Murtala and Gowon refused, Ojukwu called fpr confederation, the same people refused,.. The first shot that started the war was fired by NIGERIAN SOLDIERS! That is the historical facts they dont want people like you to read and be informed. Thats why the banned the study of history in secondary schools across Nigeria..

6 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jan 15, 2017
laudate:

Exactly!! So why would someone on this thread who claims to be a Northerner from Katsina, start jubilating and commending Nzeogwu for killing the late Sardauna?? shocked Even if he was not born when the late premier was alive, his parents or elders would have held the Sardauna's name & memory in huge respect.
He is likely from a minority northern tribe,like ron in jos or michika in adamawa n trust me,their views are totally different from those of the typical hausa-fulani muslim

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by azimibraun: 8:23pm On Jan 15, 2017
Justdulla:

Go back and read what led to the coup, then you can come here and we would argue.
If you think politicians started corruption today, then am sorry for you.
Your position is indefensible. Just keep quite let students of political science and Development administration speak on this. How on earth can a military coup be a solution to a problem we were just learning was a problem? We got independence in 1960, became a republic in '63 and in ' 66 this fellow and a bunch of renegades were already taking over through a lopsided bloody coup and you call him a hero of democracy. Make I. No vex for you o!

5 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by enemmo(f): 8:23pm On Jan 15, 2017
Justdulla:

you won't find them in google.
1.Why we struck by Adewale Ademoyega
2.The Biafran Story by Frederick Forsythe..a British journalist.
3.The brothers war...Ave forgotten the author John something.
All I can remember for now.

Gracias.
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by Eledan: 8:25pm On Jan 15, 2017
owodokiri:

I should be telling you that. There is no single book on that event written in Nigeria that I havent read.. You have read none. You are just following hearsay.. Ojukwu insisted that Ogundipe take over after Ironsis death. Murtala and Gowon refused, Ojukwu called fpr confederation, the same people refused,.. The first shot that started the war was fired by NIGERIAN SOLDIERS! That is the historical facts they dont want people like you to read and be informed. Thats why the banned the study of history in secondary schools across Nigeria..

Why should Ojukwu determine or insist on who should take over after Ironsi death? Such decision is only for those who succeeded with the coup, the northern camp
Ojukwu apprehension was mainly the fate that await him and other Igbo officers following the success of the July coup by Northerners, he wanted to drag people that had nothing to do with the bloodletting orchestrated by the Igbos and Norrtheners

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by laudate: 8:27pm On Jan 15, 2017
kingsouthie:
He is likely from a minority northern tribe,like ron in jos or michika in adamawa n trust me,their views are totally different from those of the typical hausa-fulani muslim

Bros, trust me when I say this guy isn't from Katsina. cheesy cheesy I know that the Northern minorities do not always hold the same view as the core Northern ethnic groups, but when it comes to the memory of the Sardauna, they are united on that score. He provided education, scholarships, health care etc., for most communities in the North. The late Premier was like a mini-god to them. If you don't believe me, stand in Adamawa or Taraba or even Kogi, and hurl profanities against the memory of the late Sardauna in public, and see if you would come back in one piece. sad
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by MurderX: 8:29pm On Jan 15, 2017
A bloody slowpoke
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by owodokiri: 8:29pm On Jan 15, 2017
Justdulla:

you won't find them in google.
1.Why we struck by Adewale Ademoyega
2.The Biafran Story by Frederick Forsythe..a British journalist.
3.The brothers war...Ave forgotten the author John something.
All I can remember for now.

The Five Majors BY Ben Gbulie ,

Captain Ben Gbulie actually participated in the coup at Kaduna with Nzeogwu

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by decasey(m): 8:30pm On Jan 15, 2017
Shortyy:
Why is his name Kaduna Nzeogwu tho?
because he was born in Kaduna, tho his parents is 4rom delta state.
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by hakimi1974(m): 8:31pm On Jan 15, 2017
Justdulla:

Madam which my people. It it cos am defending Ibos, you now assume am Ibo as well. I laff. Am from the north, a dull fledged one at that. But thats doesnt mean when i see the truth, i shouldn't say it.
Do you know the Idea of the counter coup was to seperate Nigeria, Murtala Muhammed was supposed to assume leadership and do that, but since Gowon was ahead, they settled for him. But power got to his gead, he disrespected the Aburi Conference, the British and westerns wanted the oil, they gave him left over weapons from world war to and he went to a needless war that should have been settled amicably.
thir dude don hear plenty beer palour gists tire, i pity you.
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by laudate: 8:32pm On Jan 15, 2017
owodokiri:

Guy, stop this tales by moonlight nah! cheesy Do you know how many books I have read on the civil war? shocked shocked Do you know how many historical photos of the dramatis personae I have in my possession?

Ojukwu did not go to war because of Ogundipe, like you suggested. undecided Ojukwu went to war because of the Northern massacre of the Igbo in the north, as well as his desire to take over the oil wells in his region. He wanted power and resources.

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by ManTiger(m): 8:32pm On Jan 15, 2017
Justdulla:
The real Hero of Democracy
Craziness is in your DNA. Do you know the meaning of a coup? Nigeria as a country was 6yrs old and this guy deemed it fit to steal power and here you are saying rubbish?

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by azimibraun: 8:33pm On Jan 15, 2017
The Premiers of all the region's in Nigeria were executed by these renegades excepr chief Micheal Opkala of the Eastern region. Everyone thought Chief Okpala the sole survivor was going to condenm the coup and killings instead he was lobbying to be made prime minister. Kaduna Nzeogu though from the present Delta nd former Mid west saw himself as an easterner and was bias. That's the second other origin of tribalism in Nigerian polity.
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jan 15, 2017
laudate:

Bros, trust me when I say this guy isn't from Katsina. cheesy cheesy I know that the Northern minorities do not always hold the same view as the core Northern ethnic groups, but when it comes to the memory of the Sardauna, they are united on that score. He provided education, scholarships, health care etc., for most communities in the North. The late Premier was like a mini-god to them. If you don't believe me, stand in Adamawa or Taraba or even Kogi, and hurl profanities against the memory of the late Sardauna in public, and see if you would come back in one piece. sad
Ofcourse they have to love their own,n i beg to differ...i think the late sarduana established more of almajiri educ system n not western educational system in the north
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by owodokiri: 8:36pm On Jan 15, 2017
Eledan:

Why should Ojukwu determine or insist on who should take over after Ironsi death? Such decision is only for those who succeeded with the coup, the northern camp
Ojukwu apprehension was mainly the fate that await him and other Igbo officers following the success of the July coup by Northerners, he wanted to drag people that had nothing to do with the bloodletting orchestrated by the Igbos and Norrtheners

I dont begrudge that.. You asked me a question initially and i tried to explain. They succeeded with the coup? How? It failed woefully in the east and thats why they came bombing. Ojukwu had two options; accept the coup of reject it.., he rejected it. He never started a war against the coupists. He only suggested that just as the most senior army officer took over after the first coup, the same measure should be applied after the second coup. Northern soldiers right there in Lagos said no and Yorubas kept mute. We rejected the likes of Gowon, Murtala, Danjuma, Babangida and co. . The managed to fool the rest of the country to follow them to war. . Now with the benefit of hindsight, are you going to say that the decision to go on with the Murtala gang was a nice idea politically following what went down with Nigeria?

6 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by sesaan(m): 8:36pm On Jan 15, 2017
FemiFimile:

See this treasury looter son. Did u work hard for the car? If Mikel dey drive Bentley, treasury looter go carry bentley come out but nobody knows u besides ur father. One thing i did give to igbos is that alot of them are rich from their own hustle, we can say this is wat they do? Acting, football, business etc. Alot of the Aboki up north, we see their children driving big car and the next thing u here is Ahmed Indimi son, Buhari Son, IBB son. etc
which tribe do business reach Aboki for this Nigerian??
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jan 15, 2017
azimibraun:
The Premiers of all the region's in Nigeria were executed by these renegades excepr chief Micheal Opkala of the Eastern region. Everyone thought Chief Okpala the sole survivor was going to condenm the coup and killings instead he was lobbying to be mde prime minister. Kaduna Nzeogu thought from the present Delta nd former Mid west saw himself as an easterner and was bias. That's the second other origin of tribalism in Nigerian polity.
Igbos shot themselves in the foot wt that coup n unfortunately they are still doing such today... embarassed

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by laudate: 8:37pm On Jan 15, 2017
kingsouthie:
Ofcourse they have to love their own,n i beg to differ...i think the late sarduana established more of almajiri educ system n not western educational system in the north

The Sardauna did not establish the Almajiri system in the North. It was the Northern religious leaders that did that.
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jan 15, 2017
well to me there are different ways of achieving goals...i know of a way through which Biafra can be achieved without anyone sweating. I pray God answer my prayers concerning the strategy i have in mind

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by DMerciful(m): 8:41pm On Jan 15, 2017
Has nothing to do with Ogundipe....go and read history!
owodokiri:

How did Ojukwu declare a civil war? By insisting that Brigadier Ogindipe who was the most senior in the army should take over after Ironsis assassination?
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by decasey(m): 8:41pm On Jan 15, 2017
Fedayeen02:
Nzeogwy was a radical right from his army days, he was fed up with the systematic corruption of the political elite and hee wanted to do a total cleansing of the political space because he saw the politicians as the problems of Nigeria.

He was a man who saw tomorrow and he remains my hero.

He died in Nsukka sector while driving a Biafran tank
was his body recovered?
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by ChimuchiYola(f): 8:43pm On Jan 15, 2017
Shortyy:
Why is his name Kaduna Nzeogwu tho?

just PM me and I will answer ur question. There was a mystery behind his coming into the world.

I would forward the whole gist to you via PM
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by azimibraun: 8:43pm On Jan 15, 2017
The straw that broke the camel's back was Ojukwus's Ego. He coulnt just take it that Gowon would be C-in-C over him. Instead he hid under the northern massacre theory to go home without consultation to declare a sovereign state of Biafra. Ask yourselves what role did the igbo elite play in the war, at least zik et al were alive. Ojukwu went on his own ego trip. So the elite couldn't play ny meaningful role in the process. The same thing as Kanu is doing today.
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by owodokiri: 8:44pm On Jan 15, 2017
laudate:

Guy, stop this tales by moonlight nah! cheesy Do you know how many books I have read on the civil war? :oDo you know how many historical photos of the dramatis personae I have in my possession?

Ojukwu did not go to war because of Ogundipe, like you suggested. undecided Ojukwu went to war because of the Northern massacre of the Igbo in the north, as well as his desire to take over the oil wells in his region. He wanted power and resources.

Dude, i cant remember telling you Ojukwu went to war because of Ogundipe. The problem with you lot is that you hate the truth. These are historical facts that i am stating here and you are talking to a political scientist of over ten years experience. I mentioned Ogundipe to inform readers that it is a lie that Ojukwu jumped into a war. At a point he was willing to follow the command of the most senior officer rather than following Gowon who was his junior. Thats a fact! You lot have written your own side of the story obliterating facts. There was a January 66 coup, then a counter coup in july 66. Ojukwu refused to take orders from Gowon! Ojukwu told the coupists to hand over to Brigadier Ogundipe and he will be fine with that, They posted Ogundipe to the Nigerian High commission in London and the northern officers insisted on Gowon leading. Then there was the progroms, Aburri, more progroms, state creation and all that. Then war.., with the FIRST shot being fired by federal forces in what Gowon termed "police operation"..Those are the facts

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by Eledan: 8:45pm On Jan 15, 2017
owodokiri:

I dont begrudge that.. You asked me a question initially and i tried to explain. The succeeded with the coup? How? It failed woefully in the east and thats why they came bombing. Ojukwu had two options; accept the coup of reject it.., he rejected it. He never started a war against the coupists. He only suggested that just as the most senior army officer took over after the first coup, the same measure should be applied after the second coup. Northern soldiers right there in Lagos said no and Yorubas kept mute. We rejected the likes of Gowon, Murtala, Danjuma, Babangida and co. . The managed to fool the rest of the country to follow them to war. . Now with the benefit of hindsight, are you going to say that the decision to go on with the Murtala gang was a nice idea politically following what went down with Nigeria?

Nigeria just got independent and the country was just trying to settle into a pattern of governance and boom from nowhere, some idiots went on killing spree.
The uneccesssary and needless exuberance of those idiots on thr night of Jan 15 1966 has created a situation where Nigeria will not likely recover from till thy kingdom come.

Do you think without the first coup, Nigeria would be in a political mess we are in right now.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by malton: 8:49pm On Jan 15, 2017
laudate:

I don't know about Kogi, but Ahmadu Bello definitely isn't anything more than a human to Plateau people.

Nobody here would bat an eyelid even if you cursed out his mother. As a matter of fact, a lot of people actually hate anything that has to do with the man because they see him more as someone who embarked on a mission to spread Islam. They hate anything Islam.

Kogi's outlook might be different due to their Muslim background.

Personally, as an abusite, it can be said that I benefitted from the solid educational foundation he laid, but that's about it. Most people owe him gratitude, not violent disposition.
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by azimibraun: 8:50pm On Jan 15, 2017
Eledan:

Nigeria just got independent and the country was just trying to settle into a pattern of governance and boom from nowhere, some idiots went on killing spree.

Do you think without the first coup, Nigeria would be in a political mess we are in right now.
That '66. coup is our eternal curse as a people and a nation. Kaduna Nzeogu was and will forever be the worst thing to have hit this nation. I would have taken it too far if I go ahead to say " he shouldn't have been born" but God knows best.

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by owodokiri: 8:52pm On Jan 15, 2017
Eledan:

Read my brother, Read.... I believe that if that coup succeeded, Nigeria would have succeeded. The leader of that coup wasn't even Nzeogwu as the media ran away with. The leader was Emmanuel Ifeajuna, the first graduate to enroll in the Nigerian military. A contemporary of Soyinka, Achebe and Okigbo them. These were young revolutionaries who tried saving a country being ran aground by Balewa and Sarduana. The level of tribalism was rising especially within the army and it was starting to offend some. , These guys wanted to build a strong country. they failed but i believe that both Balewa and Sarduana would have caused a greater conflagration with their tribalism and maladministration. Nigeria badly needed the revolution.

4 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by laudate: 8:52pm On Jan 15, 2017
owodokiri:
Dude, i cant remember telling you Ojukwu went to war because of Ogundipe. The problem with you lot is that you hate the truth. These are historical facts that i am stating here and you are talking to a political scientist of over ten years experience. I mentioned Ogundipe to inform readers that it is a lie that Ojukwu jumped into a war. At a point he was willing to follow the command of the most senior officer rather than following Gowon who was his junior. Thats a fact! You lot have written your own side of the story obliterating facts. There was a January 66 coup, then a counter coup in july 66. Ojukwu refused to take orders from Gowon! Ojukwu told the coupists to hand over to Brigadier Ogundipe and he will be fine with that, They posted Ogundipe to the Nigerian High commission in London and the northern officers insisted on Gowon leading. Then there was the progroms, Aburri, more progroms, state creation and all that. Then war.., with the FIRST shot being fired by federal forces in what Gowon termed "police operation"..Those are the facts

Bros, abeg match brake on top this your tales by moonlight. Historical records are available for anyone who wants to know why Ojukwu went to war. sad You say you have 10 years experience as a political scientist. Ok, congratulations. But it doesn't change the fact that your premise is wrong.

Were you not the one that made this statement below:
owodokiri:
How did Ojukwu declare a civil war? By insisting that Brigadier Ogindipe who was the most senior in the army should take over after Ironsis assassination?

What led to the police action, you made reference to? Ojukwu had annexed or appropriated all FG property within his region, and despite several entreaties and warnings, he refused to heed the voices of reason.

There are many perspectives of the war, because there were many participants in that war. War is not pretty. And there are always casualties, on all sides. sad

Different books on the events that took place at that time need to be read along with other accounts of the Civil War, in order to compare the different perspectives so that readers can draw their own conclusions. Some of the books listed below are independent accounts of the war.

Please read the following:

1). Reflections on the Nigerian Civil War : Facing the Future by Ralph Uwechue
Publisher: Trafford Publishing (2004) 236pp
ISBN-1412223628,
ISBN-9781412223621
Read the review here: http://meniru..com/2009/10/ojukwu-or-uwechue-who-is-biafran-war.html

2). Oil, Politics and Violence: Nigeria's Military Coup Culture (1966-1976) by Max Siollun
Published by Algora Publishing (2009) 268pp.
ISBN-13: 978-0875867083
ISBN-10: 0875867081
Read the review here: https://maxsiollun./my-book/

3). The Biafran War: The Struggle for Modern Nigeria by Michael Gould
Published by I. B. Tauris (2013) 288pp
ISBN-10: 1780764634
ISBN-13: 978-1780764634

4). There Was a Country: A Personal History of Biafra Hardcover by Chinua Achebe
Publisher: Penguin Press; US (2012) 352pp
ISBN-10: 9781594204821
ISBN-13: 978-1594204821
ASIN: 1594204829
Please read the 1st review here: http://www.nigeriaintel.com/2013/03/31/biafra-the-facts-the-fiction/
Please read the 2nd review: http://www.amazon.com/There-Was-Country-Personal-History/dp/1594204829/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
Please read the 3rd review: http://www.premiumtimesng.com/opinion/108978-achebes-there-was-a-country-an-outsiders-review-by-femke-van-zeijl.html ; http://adegoke.info/2015/04/19/stop-teaching-tribal-superiority/

4). The Nigerian Revolution and the Biafran War by Alexander A. Madiebo
Publisher: Fourth Dimension Publishing Co.; Reissue edition (2000) 424pp
ISBN-10: 9781561173
ISBN-13: 978-9781561177
2 reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Nigerian-Revolution-Biafran-War/dp/9781561173

5) The Tragedy of Victory: On-the-spot Account of the Nigeria-Biafra War in the Atlantic by Godwin Alabi-Isama
Publisher: Spectrum Books Limited, Ibadan, Nigeria (2013) 757pp
ASIN: B00G6HFDRQ
File Size: 18071 KB
Kindle e-book available
Please read the review here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Tragedy-Victory-spot-Nigeria-Biafra-ebook/dp/B00G6HFDRQ
Please read the 2nd review: http://dailyindependentnig.com/2014/02/alabi-isamas-tragedy-of-victory-a-review-2/

According to Nigerian scholars in 2011, over 69 books and pamphlets, 53 government publications, 3 bibliographies and various theses have
been published on the 30 month long Nigerian Civil War that took place between 1967 and 1970. In the US, over 2,000 books were written about their own civil war.

So there is still a need to write more. People need to tell their stories about what happened during the war, because in the words of Chimamanda Adichie "we all remember differently." sad

Here is also another perspective. Maybe this excerpt will shed more light on it.

Ojukwu: Hero or Villain? | By Max Siollun on December 16, 2007

The federal government attempted to implement the Aburi agreement in diluted form by enacting a modified Constitution (Suspension and Modification) Decree which turned Nigeria into a de facto confederation. Ojukwu declined to accept the initial draft and insisted on a full and complete implementation of the accords reached at Aburi.

Nonetheless as the weaker party he could still have showed greater pragmatism to spare further suffering for his people. At this point Ojukwu’s decision making must be questioned. Ojukwu would have saved many lives had he shown a greater degree of flexibility by accepting the Decree as it gave him 90% of what he wanted. In the “winner takes all” mentality that is so symptomatic of Nigerian politics, Ojukwu unrealistically held out for 100% of his demands and in the end, received 0%.

His intransigence placed him and his people in a worse position than they started in. Rather than turning Nigeria into a confederation (which is what Decree 8 did), Ojukwu ’s intransigence gave the federal government an opportunity to overrun the Eastern Region, carve the country into several states and concentrate massive powers in the central government. Forty years later many Nigerians now call for the restructuring of Nigeria, and for devolution of power to its regions.

Ojukwu had a golden opportunity to achieve this over 40 years ago but squandered it. Had he shown some patience he may have achieved his objectives – albeit at a later date. The old adage is that “the best comes to those who wait.”

Ojukwu could have taken a leaf from the book of another infant country named Israel. For several decades Jews fought to be given their own state in what was then British Mandate Palestine. In 1947, they were granted their state but only on half the land that they wanted.

Realizing that it is best to accept what is achievable today, rather than risk holding out for 100% and getting nothing, Israel’s first leader David Ben-Gurion accepted a state but cleverly did not enunciate the borders of this state – this leaving the door open to agitate for more land at a later date. Today the “green line” borders of Israel encompass more land than it originally had at independence. [/color] https://maxsiollun./tag/ojukwu/

3 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by Ngokafor(f): 8:52pm On Jan 15, 2017
ManTiger:
Craziness is in your DNA. Do you know the meaning of a coup? Nigeria as a country was 6yrs old and this guy deemed it fit to steal power and here you are saying rubbish?

...but buhari a coup plotter whom you all voted for is your hero now right??...keep deceiving yourselves but this country is living on borrowed time..mark my words.

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by Eledan: 8:55pm On Jan 15, 2017
owodokiri:

Read my brother, Read.... I believe that if that coup succeeded, Nigeria would have succeeded. The leader of that coup wasn't even Nzeogwu as the media ran away with. The leader was Emmanuel Ifeajuna, the first graduate to enroll in the Nigerian military. A contemporary of Soyinka, Achebe and Okigbo them. These were young revolutionaries who tried saving a country being ran aground by Balewa and Sarduana. The level of tribalism was rising especially within the army and it was starting to offend some. , These guys wanted to build a strong country. they failed but i believe that both Balewa and Sarduana would have caused a greater conflagration with their tribalism and maladministration. Nigeria badly needed the revolution.

You hold this position because you didn't wake up one morning to see all those you've looked up to for inspiration and role model wiped out in one night. Sardauna and Balewa were people that most Northerners revered all their lives and you left a whole region dejected by killing some of their best leaders while keeping yours and you are here saying this, were the thr only corrupt people while all your own leaders were saints?
When you guys keep and talk this way, you only justify the revenge coup.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Gift Udom Emmanuel Gave To Ooni Of Ife At Government House, Akwa Ibom / Kogi Election: Melaye Heads To International Court Of Justice At The Hague / UPDATE: NAF Bombing Boko Haram's Main Base In NE Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.