Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) (47118 Views)

The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) / Ooni Ogunwusi Unveils "Moremi Ajasoro", The Tallest Statue In Nigeria (PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by femolii: 9:52am On Feb 07, 2017
Shut up there what do u know about ondo n ekiti idiot. every body know benins are from ile ife. lagos is yorubas city childreen hate keep off.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by KingOvoramwen1(m): 10:17am On Feb 07, 2017
BornStunner1:
King Ado a benin Prince!!!

JUST LOOK AT THE RUBBISH THIS ONE IS TYPING!

WHAT USELESS REPUBLIC?

YOU PPL WILL ALWAYS BE REGARDED AS LESS BY WE THE EDOS AND OTHER TRIBES!! angry

THE ONLY DESTINY U YORUBA HAVE IS TO DENOUCE BENIN CULTURE TAUGHT TO U BY PRINCE EKELEREHAN IZODUWA!!

AND ALL THE VASSAL STATES CREATED IN EKITI & ONDO BY THE BENIN EMPIRE IS RETURNED BACK TO THE EMPIRE!!!

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by KingOvoramwen1(m): 10:19am On Feb 07, 2017
femi4:
With that your tiny population..... You ll forever remain a minority and under Oduduwa

Baba yoruba is a minority group!!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by SUBWAY101(m): 10:30am On Feb 07, 2017
BornStunner1:

WHAT POPULATION DYU AV? angry

THE IJEBUS DO NOT EVEN CLAIM TO BE PART OF UR EWEDU UNION
.EVEN THE EGBAS AND ILAJES TOO

HAHAHA MONORITY GROUP CLAIMING MAJORITY...... UR LIES TOLD BY AWOLOWO IS DYING A FAST DEATH!!

Did you just say Ijebu and Egba? Lmaoo. Stop smoking cannabis, it aint good for your health.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by SUBWAY101(m): 10:33am On Feb 07, 2017
bakynes:

Are you Okay at all, I am an Ijebu guy and we are Yorubas as well as the Egba people.

The kid is drunk and dont even know whats wrong with him, how can Ijebu and Egbas not be Yoruba. Too many mad people on this forum. Lol

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by ola1982(m): 10:35am On Feb 07, 2017
Redoil:
if you agree with me that this is tinubu father statue click like if not click share

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by omofunaab(m): 10:38am On Feb 07, 2017
BornStunner1:

WHAT POPULATION DYU AV? angry

THE IJEBUS DO NOT EVEN CLAIM TO BE PART OF UR EWEDU UNION
.EVEN THE EGBAS AND ILAJES TOO

HAHAHA MONORITY GROUP CLAIMING MAJORITY...... UR LIES TOLD BY AWOLOWO IS DYING A FAST DEATH!!

The egbas are not yorubas.. .lol...
Something is wrong with you guy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by morscino: 10:45am On Feb 07, 2017
crestedaguiyi:

some of you animals need to be in cage.

who lives is a dilapidated house if not one who can not afford renovation.

if Lagos is not in recession,
how many jobs have Lagos state created

were there no protest in Lagos yesterday.

Lagos state now refines fuel, sell food stuff and even provide affordable health care.

how much is a bag of rice in Lagos

what of bags of cement

what of roofing sheets and other construction material

i really pity your level idiocy.

the stock market lost N74b in one day,an indication that some jobs are under treat yet one goon is unveiling images that adds no value.

So lagos is d one to build houses for u,Lagos should shoulder all of Nigeria's Probems,u're talking abt roofing sheets,cements,etc..no state govt has control over all these items,but u're too filled with hate and envy to realize that.U're definately one of dem ipod yoots who are jealous of d progress in lagos.
The protest held in lagos was against d fed govt. have u seen anyone protesting against d lagos state govt?..like i said earlier,it not not lagos' fault dat ur govs stole ur money,why not direct ur anger to ur leaders and conc. more on ur ppl than worry abt what lagos does with her money.
Do u know that if lagos was a country,it would be d fifth richest in Africa?...Now lat dat sink in ur Igbo!..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by abbeyty(m): 10:56am On Feb 07, 2017
scholes0:

Oduduwa Repubic.
If you no wan join, no problem.... Edo republic is yours for the taking. cheesy
Good riddance,

we dont even need them in our republic before their women turn our innocent women to prostitutes

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by scholes0(m): 10:58am On Feb 07, 2017
abbeyty:

we dont even need them in our republic before their women turn our innocent women to prostitutes

As in ehhhhn......
Come and see the way Edo people are disgracing every African (not even just Nigerians) in Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Holland etc.
You will pity Edo state.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by omoodeogere(m): 11:05am On Feb 07, 2017
:DLIAR :-XLIAR
Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by AreaFada2: 11:08am On Feb 07, 2017
Mavor:
I though the Oba of Benin at that time was the one who created Eko (then as a War Camp). Isn't he the first Lord by default?
Benin do not claim Lagos today. It was technically lost in 1851 when Oba Kosoko was deposed by the British. But Oba Akintoye still made it clear to the British in 1853 (even after signing treaty with the British in 1852) that Oba Adolor of Benin was the Overlord of Lagos. It was even Oba Akintoye's son, Eleko Dosunmu who finally ceded Lagos to the British in 1861 when the British threatened him. So restoring a Kosoko that was loyal to Benin finally ended with Britain now in control.

But History is very clear on it.

I really wonder why some of our Yoruba people have made it a life's mission to distort any history related to Benin. Even Lagos State Government web page about Lagos history made many things clear. At least around 7 years ago when I saw it.

Eko was created by Benin warriors in what is now Lagos Island. It was meant to give easy access from Atlantic Ocean & Lagoon for trade and warfare. The Aworis who mostly were on the mainland gave little resistance. Though there are anecdotes of skirmishes around Iru in order to control the island.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by AreaFada2: 11:15am On Feb 07, 2017
BornStunner1:

King Ado is a Benin Prince

My brother just leave them. They form "respectful" in your face. But just like behind people's back they are very disrespectful & vulgar. Just look at their attitude & words when they can hide their faces behind an online forum. They are first rate tribalists and bigots.

A son of a late Oba of Lagos was my classmate in those days. He knew his history. In fact he told me what I did not even know about their descent from Benin.

Leave them.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by crestedaguiyi: 11:45am On Feb 07, 2017
morscino:

So lagos is d one to build houses for u,Lagos should shoulder all of Nigeria's Probems,u're talking abt roofing sheets,cements,etc..no state govt has control over all these items,but u're too filled with hate and envy to realize that.U're definately one of dem ipod yoots who are jealous of d progress in lagos.
The protest held in lagos was against d fed govt. have u seen anyone protesting against d lagos state govt?..like i said earlier,it not not lagos' fault dat ur govs stole ur money,why not direct ur anger to ur leaders and conc. more on ur ppl than worry abt what lagos does with her money.
Do u know that if lagos was a country,it would be d fifth richest in Africa?...Now lat dat sink in ur Igbo!..

ZOMBIE, i will not glorify u with a response again, you are far below par
Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 11:55am On Feb 07, 2017
Scatterscatter:
Wait ooo, I am not understanding

Is this a moving Statue or we have 2 different statues.?

Check out both pictures again
I don't know why children of now a days can't calm down to read before spewing.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by lovingyouhun: 11:57am On Feb 07, 2017
Scatterscatter:
Wait ooo, I am not understanding

Is this a moving Statue or we have 2 different statues.?

Check out both pictures again

Are you hungry? If not you will see that the statue is holding a stick in one pics and something like a staff in the other. Honestly you are hypoglycemic right now. Go chop Eba o, sorry dear

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by ba7man(m): 12:03pm On Feb 07, 2017
crestedaguiyi:
Mad people .
Is this not an exhibition of Insensitivity

The building on the background is unkept yet the state have the nerve to unveil what adds no economic value at a time when Nigerians are protesting the govt insensitivity.
If the building in the background gives you so much pain, buy the property, break it down and build a befitting one in its place. undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by ba7man(m): 12:06pm On Feb 07, 2017
BornStunner1:
King Ado a benin Prince!!!

JUST LOOK AT THE RUBBISH THIS ONE IS TYPING!

WHAT USELESS REPUBLIC?

YOU PPL WILL ALWAYS BE REGARDED AS LESS BY WE THE EDOS AND OTHER TRIBES!! angry

THE ONLY DESTINY U YORUBA HAVE IS TO DENOUCE BENIN CULTURE TAUGHT TO U BY PRINCE EKELEREHAN IZODUWA!!

AND ALL THE VASSAL STATES CREATED IN EKITI & ONDO BY THE BENIN EMPIRE IS RETURNED BACK TO THE EMPIRE!!!
On the other hand, you guys are irrelevant in the present scheme of things.

Keep dwelling in 1542. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Kirigidi(m): 12:46pm On Feb 07, 2017
samdavjustin:

Guy relax u don't speak for the whole Edo people
He can't actually speak for all, because when we say Edoid we mean not only Bini people but also Ishan, Etsako, Owan, Urhobo-Isoko, etc.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 12:56pm On Feb 07, 2017
AreaFada2:

Benin do not claim Lagos today. It was technically lost in 1851 when Oba Kosoko was deposed by the British. But Oba Akintoye still made it clear to the British in 1853 (even after signing treaty with the British in 1852) that Oba Adolor of Benin was the Overlord of Lagos. It was even Oba Akintoye's son, Eleko Dosunmu who finally ceded Lagos to the British in 1861 when the British threatened him. So restoring a Kosoko that was loyal to Benin finally ended with Britain now in control.

I really wonder why some of our Yoruba people have made it a life's mission to distort any history related to Benin. Even Lagos State Government web page about Lagos history made many things clear. At least around 7 years ago when I saw it.

Eko was created by Benin warriors in what is now Lagos Island. It was meant to give easy access from Atlantic Ocean & Lagoon for trade and warfare. The Aworis who mostly were on the mainland gave little resistance. Though there are anecdotes of skirmishes around Iru in order to control the island.

Do you care to drum it into the ears of your Bini folks that Eko is no more than the tiny space of Lagos Island and this is where Bini hegemony is limited to and not beyond it?

Apart from the pepper farm occupied by Bini which is a fraction of Lagos, most of the entire mass of Lagos state is owned by Ogunfunminire's descendant.

Here:

Lagos Island only - Bini

Badagry - Egun folks.

Oshodi - Oshodi Tapa

Ikoyi - by Onikoyi from Ikoyi in present day Osun state.

The rest of Lagos, Ikorodu, Ikeja, Oniru, Elegushi, Ojora, Lekki, Otto and keep the list going are owned & ruled by Yoruba.

Now imagine the Idejo chiefs withdrawing from Oba of Lagos and giving their obeisance to the Olotto as it was originally (but messed up by politics giving Oba of Lagos relevance) and leaving Oba of Lagos, the Bini representative high and dry and confined to his Lagos island. Think about that for a second.

When telling Bini history of Lagos, learn to and enlighten your folks to keep it within the geographical space of Lagos island.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 1:04pm On Feb 07, 2017
bakynes:

Are you Okay at all, I am an Ijebu guy and we are Yorubas as well as the Egba people.

We are Yoruba's by geographical location and political affiliations and construct. However, by ancestry, we are not of oodua.
Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 07, 2017
EWAagoyin:
says who....u dis useless igbo boy should mind ur sef o.... u think Yoruba also does divide and rule like u guys?? hell no.... the whole of ogun state,Lagos ,oyo,osum,ondo,ekiti ...we are all Yoruba our father is oduduwa.... we just have different dialects ... but our universal language is Yoruba which every one of us understands ... now leave us alone ... igbos leave yoruba's alone. .. its not by force we must separate.... and nobody cares if Benin claims Yoruba or not.... that's Benin people's problems..... we are to populated to be body body another ethnic group to join us.... leave us alone...we are one.

I don't know about the egbas but of the ijebus in ogun state, we are not from oduduwa. Our ancestry is traced to Sudan. We have nothing in common with Ooduas.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 1:08pm On Feb 07, 2017
NubiLove:
You know nothing about the Yorubas and their history... Ijebus and Egbas are part of the Yoruba nation (and they have always been part of the Yoruba nation)...

Yoruba nation, yes. Oodua nation, capital NO!
Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by EWAagoyin(m): 1:09pm On Feb 07, 2017
Vorpal:

I don't know about the egbas but of the ijebus in ogun state, we are not from oduduwa. Our ancestry is traced to Sudan. We have nothing in common with Ooduas.
another emeka on the loose....no be only Sudan na ivory coast.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 1:11pm On Feb 07, 2017
abbeyty:

Which is more honourable, a single lady selling her body for money as means of survival or a married woman opening her pu.ssy for every dick and Harry and end up unable to identify the real father of her kids.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 1:15pm On Feb 07, 2017
scholes0:

As in ehhhhn......
Come and see the way Edo people are disgracing every African (not even just Nigerians) in Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Holland etc.
You will pity Edo state.

Prostitution cut across every tribe. Same as armed robberies. In U.K and Ireland you see married yoruba women being fu.cked by different men in her matrimony bed free of charge.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by math2001: 1:15pm On Feb 07, 2017
You people are olodo. Yoruba people go to school.

There is a need to have a good education policy.
Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 1:16pm On Feb 07, 2017
O0ni:

Do you care to drum it into the ears of your Bini folks that Eko is no more than the tiny space of Lagos Island and this is where Bini hegemony is limited to and not beyond it?

Apart from the pepper farm occupied by Bini which is a fraction of Lagos, most of the entire mass of Lagos state is owned by Ogunfunminire's descendant.

Here:

Lagos Island only - Bini

Badagry - Egun folks.

Oshodi - Oshodi Tapa

The rest of Lagos, Ikorodu, Ikeja, Oniru, Elegushi, Ojora, Lekki, Otto and keep the list going are owned & ruled by aworis. Guess what? They are Yoruba, descendant of Olofin Ogunfunminire from Ife.

Now imagine the Idejo chiefs withdrawing from Oba of Lagos and giving their obeisance to the Olotto as it was originally (but messed up by politics giving Oba of Lagos relevance) and leaving Oba of Lagos, the Bini representative high and dry and confined to his Lagos island. Think about that for a second.

When telling Bini history of Lagos, learn to and enlighten your folks to keep it within the geographical space of Lagos island.

Ikorodu and Lekki were never owned by the aworis but by ijebu. Ikorodu is originally known as Ijebu imota, it was when the British came and annexed that part of ijebu because the ijebu wanted sole control of the trading routes. The same can be said of lekki but for different reasons. Even the name which had been corrupted to ibeju lekki will tell you its veracity of the ownership.
Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by math2001: 1:17pm On Feb 07, 2017
AreaFada2:

That is nonsense history.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 1:18pm On Feb 07, 2017
EWAagoyin:
another emeka on the loose....no be only Sudan na ivory coast.
I am certainly not ibo, you go through my posts you will see I have been quite vocal on matters concerning ijebu. That's where my paternal family hails from and not just any family.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 1:28pm On Feb 07, 2017
O0ni:

Here:

Lagos Island only - Bini

Badagry - Egun folks.

Oshodi - Oshodi Tapa

The rest of Lagos, Ikorodu, Ikeja, Oniru, Elegushi, Ojora, Lekki, Otto and keep the list going are owned & ruled by aworis. Guess what? They are Yoruba, descendant of Olofin Ogunfunminire from Ife.

The Oba of that(tiny) island in your words,remain the paramount ruler of Lagos. There are only two Oba's in Lagos state. Oba of Lagos and the rest.
Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by AreaFada2: 1:28pm On Feb 07, 2017
O0ni:

Here:

Lagos Island only - Bini

Badagry - Egun folks.

Oshodi - Oshodi Tapa

I guess no Benin person aware of history claims that all Lagos & suburbs were created or first inhabited by Benin people.

Benin didn't have the population to spread over large seeming irrelevant (at that time) geographical spaces. They had to be clinical & strategic.
To takeover trade routes or create new/alternative ones. Using expensive mercenaries to swell up the military ranks was tough enough, but had to be extremely good in managing war resource (mercenaries) not fuelled by patriotism.

But you will agree that Iga Iduganran became the hub of political power in Lagos with military backing from Benin if any subjects dared to become belligerent.
It was also part of Benin colonial strategy not to unnecessarily cause upheaval in existing local traditions or expropriate natives of their property/land.
About Oshodi Tapa. You did not mention his origin. The little I remember, he was not a Yoruba native. He was a slave from Nupe/Bida area who was rescued under Eleko Osinlokun.

I remember because Oshodi Tapa was on the side of Eleko Kosoko (a Benin loyalist) during the fight with Akintoye. His war exploit at Ogun Olomiro is well known. An excellent diplomat too.

Though fiercely loyal to Kosoko, still saved the life of Akintoye by allowing him escape to Abeokuta. I think he/Akintoye moved to Badagry refuge from Abeokuta?

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

5 Interesting Things About The Yoruba People / INNOSON Donates Vehicles To Ooni Of Ife / 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.