Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,198 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:15 AM

Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) (47208 Views)

The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) / Ooni Ogunwusi Unveils "Moremi Ajasoro", The Tallest Statue In Nigeria (PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by scholes0(m): 1:30pm On Feb 07, 2017
opal4real:

Prostitution cut across every tribe. Same as armed robberies. In U.K and Ireland you see married yoruba women being fu.cked by different men in her matrimony bed free of charge.

lol, if that makes you sleep better at night.
Keep telling it to yourself.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 1:33pm On Feb 07, 2017
math2001:

That is nonsense history.

If you want to hide anything from a black man,hide it in a book.

They lack reading culture but are first to argue and dispute every verifiable story by historian's.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by AreaFada2: 1:34pm On Feb 07, 2017
math2001:

That is nonsense history.
To condemn is easy.

You give us the "no nonsense history" version. Not cut and paste.

And please tell us how you came about it. Oral or written.
Thank you.
Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by abbeyty(m): 1:34pm On Feb 07, 2017
opal4real:

Which is more honourable, a single lady selling her body for money as means of survival or a married woman opening her pu.ssy for every dick and Harry and end up unable to identify the real father of her kids.

there is nothing honourable in both, are you a product of any of these ?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 1:35pm On Feb 07, 2017
scholes0:

lol, if that makes you sleep better at night.
Keep telling it to yourself.

It's a common knowledge that the rate of infidelity is higher among married Yoruba women in the whole sub-sahara.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 1:37pm On Feb 07, 2017
BornStunner1:
King Ado a benin Prince!!!

JUST LOOK AT THE RUBBISH THIS ONE IS TYPING!

WHAT USELESS REPUBLIC?

YOU PPL WILL ALWAYS BE REGARDED AS LESS BY WE THE EDOS AND OTHER TRIBES!! angry

THE ONLY DESTINY U YORUBA HAVE IS TO DENOUCE BENIN CULTURE TAUGHT TO U BY PRINCE EKELEREHAN IZODUWA!!

AND ALL THE VASSAL STATES CREATED IN EKITI & ONDO BY THE BENIN EMPIRE IS RETURNED BACK TO THE EMPIRE!!!
ooh i see prince ekelerehan izoduwa P.A o ti ku ri, day dreamer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by ademusiwa2r: 1:39pm On Feb 07, 2017
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 1:39pm On Feb 07, 2017
abbeyty:

there is nothing honourable in both, are you a product of any of these ?

You know where you belong. Take a DNA test today to confirm your paternity. You will shocked who actually fathered you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 1:51pm On Feb 07, 2017
Vorpal:

Ikorodu and Lekki were never owned by the aworis but by ijebu. Ikorodu is originally known as Ijebu imota, it was when the British came and annexed that part of ijebu because the ijebu wanted sole control of the trading routes. The same can be said of lekki but for different reasons. Even the name which had been corrupted to ibeju lekki will tell you its veracity of the ownership.

Lekki is under Elegushi.

Yes, I forgot to mention Ijebu while rushing due to low battery.

Ibeju Lekki & Epe are Ijebu.

Ijebu is still Yoruba.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 1:52pm On Feb 07, 2017
opal4real:

The Oba of that(tiny) island in your words,remain the paramount ruler of Lagos. There are only two Oba's in Lagos state. Oba of Lagos and the rest.

Lol the Oba whose only relevance is due to the politicking of Lagos and whose sphere of influence is not beyond Lagos Island in practical terms?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by abbeyty(m): 2:01pm On Feb 07, 2017
opal4real:

You know where you belong. Take a DNA test today to confirm your paternity. You will shocked who actually fathered you.

lol e pain am son of a hoe
Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 2:07pm On Feb 07, 2017
AreaFada2:

I guess no Benin person aware of history claims that all Lagos & suburbs were created or first inhabited by Benin people.

Benin didn't have the population to spread over large seeming irrelevant (at that time) geographical spaces. They had to be clinical & strategic.

To takeover trade routes or create new/alternative ones. Using expensive mercenaries to swell up the military ranks was tough enough, but had to be extremely good in managing war resource (mercenaries) not fuelled by patriotism.

[b]But you will agree that Iga Iduganran became the hub of political power in Lagos with military backing from Benin if any subjects dared to become belligerent.[/]

It was also part of Benin colonial strategy not to unnecessarily cause upheaval in existing local traditions or expropriate natives of their property/land.
About Oshodi Tapa. You did not mention his origin. The little I remember, he was not a Yoruba native. He was a slave from Nupe/Bida area who was rescued under Eleko Osinlokun.

I remember because Oshodi Tapa was on the side of Eleko Kosoko (a Benin loyalist) during the fight with Akintoye). His war exploit at Ogun Olomiro is well known. An excellent diplomat too.

Though fiercely loyal to Kosoko, still saved the life of Akintoye by allowing him escape to Abeokuta. I think he/Akintoye moved to Badagry refuge from Abeokuta?

1. You are fraudulent. You made it seem like every part of Lagos was not well populated before Bini's advent. In fact, your Bini history states that your Bini travellers were harrassed by Yoruba while passing through the Eko camp and Ashipa had to be sent to verify the claim but he was met with cordial and affable treatment. I am sure you're aware the pepper farm Ashipa landed on and started his rulership was peopled by Aromire's folks who was the first to get to that place?

Side note - Speaking of Bini's military, I find a lot of exaggeration when reading through it. Are there any records of Bini conquering neighbouring Edoid groups? Keep in mind Bini could not even conquer Owo or Ekiti groups that were within her reach but that is a debate for another day.

2. The relevance Iga Iduganran had was due to the esoteric knowledge of Ilesa man who is the patriach of all Oba of Lagos till today since Ologun Kutere, the Ilesa man who was a Babalawo advised the then Oba of Lagos to mount a white flag which got the attention of the sailing Europeans. At this point, the Europeans dealt with Oba of pepper farm as though he was the king of pepper farm not the entire mass of Eko. Notwithstanding, this set the tone for the political relevance Iga iduganran and Oba of Lagos enjoy since the colonial times till today.

Sidenote - I did a list of places owned by whom, I never listed Oshodi as part of Yoruba owner territoy. I clearly stated it is owned by Oshodi Tapa.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by scholes0(m): 2:07pm On Feb 07, 2017
opal4real:

It's a common knowledge that the rate of infidelity is higher among married Yoruba women in the whole sub-sahara.

hahaha.. More lies.
But continue.
Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 2:08pm On Feb 07, 2017
O0ni:

Lekki is under Elegushi.

Yes, I forgot to mention Ijebu while rushing due to low battery.

Ibeju Lekki & Epe are Ijebu.

Ijebu is still Yoruba.

Agreed ,but not Oodua.
Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 2:15pm On Feb 07, 2017
Vorpal:

Agreed ,but not Oodua.

You make it seem like Ijebu Ode is the only Ijebu.

Like Ijebu, there are a number of Yoruba towns that were not founded by Oduduwa's offsprings or Ife elements. They are Yoruboid nonetheless - the deities & social-political & social-cultural structures shared is national. So what gives?

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 2:16pm On Feb 07, 2017
crestedaguiyi:
Mad people .
Is this not an exhibition of Insensitivity

The building on the background is unkept yet the state have the nerve to unveil what adds no economic value at a time when Nigerians are protesting the govt insensitivity.
Well, maybe no economical value but certainly it does have an Historical value

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by math2001: 2:18pm On Feb 07, 2017
illiterate people, what is king ado. You people are illterate.
Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 2:21pm On Feb 07, 2017
bakynes:

Are you Okay at all, I am an Ijebu guy and we are Yorubas as well as the Egba people.
Guy I laugh tire o when I heard Egba. The guy does not even know that d vast majority of Yorubas using this platform are Ijebus and Egbas. If we are not Yorubas then who is a Yoruba. cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 2:27pm On Feb 07, 2017
scholes0:

As in ehhhhn......
Come and see the way Edo people are disgracing every African (not even just Nigerians) in Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Holland etc.
You will pity Edo state.
Cmon you know that guy isn't Edo now. The guy is an impostor trying to create a wedge between Edos and Yorubas.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 2:32pm On Feb 07, 2017
AreaFada2:

My brother just leave them. They form "respectful" in your face. But just like behind people's back they are very disrespectful & vulgar. Just look at their attitude & words when they can hide their faces behind an online forum. They are first rate tribalists and bigots.

A son of a late Oba of Lagos was my classmate in those days. He knew his history. In fact he told me what I did not even know about their descent from Benin.

Leave them.
Lol there is no need to fight about this issue. It is clear to everyone that Bini and The Yorubas had a very intricate history. For instanne I heard that Ile-Ife is a bini word and that bini was coined from a Yoruba word. We need to celebrate that closeness and not let it cause division. I love the Edo ppl yet am Yoruba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by scholes0(m): 2:32pm On Feb 07, 2017
Statsocial:

Cmon you know that guy isn't Edo now. The guy is an impostor trying to create a wedge between Edos and Yorubas.

I sincerely apologize to Any Edos who may have been offended by that comment from me.
Are you Edo?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 2:40pm On Feb 07, 2017
Vorpal:

I am certainly not ibo, you go through my posts you will see I have been quite vocal on matters concerning ijebu. That's where my paternal family hails from and not just any family.
You have the right to believe what you choose to believe. But please do not presume to speak for every Ijebu person. It is clear that the Yoruba has numerous distinct sub-groups. But anyone who denies the 'Yorubaness' of any of the groups especially here on nairaland is simply an illegitimate Yoruba or an impostor. Whatever differences, if any exist, we don't discuss them on an e-platform because the more you isolate yourself like many Igbos do online. The more you break the Yoruba hegemony which leaves u exposed. It is one united front Yoruba!, that is the only way we succeed.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by AreaFada2: 2:41pm On Feb 07, 2017
O0ni:

1. You are fraudulent. You made it seem like every part of Lagos was not well populated before Bini's advent. In fact, your Bini history states that your Bini travellers were harrassed by Yoruba while passing through the Eko camp and Ashipa had to be sent to verify the claim but he was met with cordial and affable treatment. I am sure you're aware the pepper farm Ashipa landed on and started his rulership was peopled by Aromire's folks who was the first to get to that place?

Side note - Speaking of Bini's military, I find a lot of exaggeration when reading through it. Are there any records of Bini conquering neighbouring Edoid groups? Keep in mind Bini could not even conquer Owo or Ekiti groups that were within her reach but that is a debate for another day.

2. The relevance Iga Iduganran had was due to the esoteric knowledge of Ilesa man who is the patriach of all Oba of Lagos till today since Ologun Kutere, the Ilesa man who was a Babalawo advised the then Oba of Lagos to mount a white flag which got the attention of the sailing Europeans. At this point, the Europeans dealt with Oba of pepper farm as though he was the king of pepper farm not the entire mass of Eko. Notwithstanding, this set the tone for the political relevance Iga iduganran and Oba of Lagos enjoy since the colonial times till today.

Sidenote - I did a list of places owned by whom, I never listed Oshodi as part of Yoruba owner territoy. I clearly stated it is owned by Oshodi Tapa.

I am a product of that conquest in Eastern Yorubaland. I still have a first class Oba in Eastern Yorubaland as a relative. You're simply Yoruba who's only interested in Yoruba supremacy. I'm more and therefore desire the truth. I have written extensively on it over the years here on Nairaland. With Yoruba people coming here sporadically, arguing without proof, spitting bile and disappearing again. But I have been consistent.

There are even European records of Benin wars in Eastern Yorubaland. With details of Benin war tactics. One European account even chided Ashanti warriors as slackers in comparison to Benin warriors. It was not new for them to observe Africans at war. They even supplied guns Benin used in wars. You would not know because you are not scholarly or objective enough to go read.

I know it is hard for you to accept that a tribe that is today small in comparison could have done so much. Rome was a small city but conquered Italy and later most of the known world. If not for the benefit of written language at the time, all could have been denied.

But in museums in London, Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam and other places they have ceremonial plaques depicting Obas of Benin & war chiefs returning from conquest ceremoniously. All clearly written beneath those plaques, similar to how European witnesses described the scenes centuries ago. I have physically seen them all.

Benin was not primarily fighting wars for the sake of it. If a strategic kingdom or chiefdom accepted to be a vassal to the Oba of Benin, a peaceful treaty was reached. No need for war.

Now to Lagos. What was the population of the Aworis, Egbas & Ijebus around Lagos at that time? How organised were they to seriously threaten Benin military might as described by the Europeans at the time?

Whatever it was, aside initial skirmishes, they soon accepted the royal party from Benin. Would anyone not initially resist strangers taking up strategic locations next to you? I wonder what your point is. I am well familiar with early history of Asipa & Ado in Lagos.

How united were Yoruba "tribes" then to come to the aid of the scanty settlements around Lagos in 1550s? Yorubas were not a homogeneous group then as portrayed now. In fact incessant intra-Yoruba wars were normal. The later unity against the Jihadist was a self-preservation fight. All down to Owo knew that once Oyo Empire was Over-run, no stopping Jahadists.

Benin on the other hand fought years of War in Edo North to stop Jihadists from Idah axis.

You are trying to make up things to be outraged about. Continue with that.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 2:46pm On Feb 07, 2017
O0ni:

You make it seem like Ijebu Ode is the only Ijebu.

Like Ijebu, there are a number of Yoruba towns that were not founded by Oduduwa's offsprings or Ife elements. They are Yoruboid nonetheless - the deities & social-political & social-cultural structures shared is national. So what gives?

When I refer to Ijebu as not being of Oodua, I mean the whole of Ijebu and not just Ijebu ode. From Odogbolu,to Ijebu waterside,to ago-iwoye,to Ijebu mushin.

Of course we are Yoruba by those classifications and by them only. But by ancestry, being from Oodua, we are not. Point is when you define Ooduas, you are including the ancestry, but when you define Yoruba, you are defining a group of peopl who have come to share common language, political affiliations and social construct together, only. And that,Ijebu will always be in the forefront championing that as did Chief Awolowo.

In my own view, I see the Ooni as the leader of Ooduans of those who share the ancestry. But the leader of Yorubas as a group is collectively of all southwestern king.

When the current Ooni was to enter Awujale's palace,the song being chanted was that "Oodua n'bo ooo Oodua n'bo" You would not chant that if whom you visiting was of your own ancestry as well especially since both speak the same language as of the present era.
Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by crestedaguiyi: 2:50pm On Feb 07, 2017
Statsocial:

Well, maybe no economical value but certainly it does have an Historical value

History has no value in Nigeria hence its not taught in schools .
Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 2:51pm On Feb 07, 2017
BornStunner1:

WHO ARE YOU?

AND YES I DO!!!!

Hehehehe. ....Omo Noba BornStunner1

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by AreaFada2: 2:52pm On Feb 07, 2017
Statsocial:

Lol there is no need to fight about this issue. It is clear to everyone that Bini and The Yorubas had a very intricate history. For instanne I heard that Ile-Ife is a bini word and that bini was coined from a Yoruba word. We need to celebrate that closeness and not let it cause division. I love the Edo ppl yet am Yoruba.

My brother, the thing surprises me. I am of dual Yoruba/Edo culture. And thousands of us are in Edo like that.

Now, from growing up, I met people who were over 100 years old. People born around 1875/1880.

The consistent version I heard was that Ile-Ife actually means "I have escaped into safety". Which it means if pronounced in Benin language. Of course I cannot say for sure if that was the origin of it.

I have volunteered in the past to pay for 10 people from Benin & Ife Royal families to take a genetic test in the best world class lab available.

To see the genetic link and which ancestry is which. And challenge others who come here to argue to also put their money where their mouth is.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 2:54pm On Feb 07, 2017
Statsocial:

You have the right to believe what you choose to believe. But please do not presume to speak for every Ijebu person. It is clear that the Yoruba has numerous distinct sub-groups. But anyone who denies the 'Yorubaness' of any of the groups especially here on nairaland is simply an illegitimate Yoruba or an impostor. Whatever differences, if any exist, we don't discuss them on an e-platform because the more you isolate yourself like many Igbos do online. The more you break the Yoruba hegemony which leaves u exposed. It is one united front Yoruba!, that is the only way we succeed.

I believe the Awujale speaks for every Ijebu person, and has stated that we do not share the same ancestry with Oduduwa hence, we are Yoruba not of Oodua. However, that does not break any hegemony but ensuring mutual respect by not insulting peoples history.

If you must know, I don't even speak the Ijebu dialect but Yoruba. Does that make me less Yoruba and more Ijebu.
Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by scholes0(m): 3:03pm On Feb 07, 2017
AreaFada2:

My brother just leave them. They form "respectful" in your face. But just like behind people's back they are very disrespectful & vulgar. Just look at their attitude & words when they can hide their faces behind an online forum. They are first rate tribalists and bigots.

A son of a late Oba of Lagos was my classmate in those days. He knew his history. In fact he told me what I did not even know about their descent from Benin.

Leave them.

Oh pls, Yorubas don't owe you anything.
You want Yorubas to love and respect you, but do YOU accord them any respect?
Enough of trying to please y'all.... Some Edos are the most disrespectful and vulgar people you will ever come across on the planet.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by Nobody: 3:04pm On Feb 07, 2017
Vorpal:

When I refer to Ijebu as not being of Oodua, I mean the whole of Ijebu and not just Ijebu ode. From Odogbolu,to Ijebu waterside,to ago-iwoye,to Ijebu mushin.

Of course we are Yoruba by those classifications and by them only. But by ancestry, being from Oodua, we are not. Point is when you define Ooduas, you are including the ancestry, but when you define Yoruba, you are defining a group of peopl who have come to share common language, political affiliations and social construct together, only. And that,Ijebu will always be in the forefront championing that as did Chief Awolowo.

In my own view, I see the Ooni as the leader of Ooduans of those who share the ancestry. But the leader of Yorubas as a group is collectively of all southwestern king.

When the current Ooni was to enter Awujale's palace,the song being changed was that "Oodua n'bo ooo Oodua n'bo" You would not chant that if whom you visiting was of your own ancestry as well.

First emboldened: Ijebu as a whole but what happened to Ijebu Ife, Ijebu Iremo, Sagamu, Isara etc. in your list?

Second emboldened: If Ooni was going to visit Obalufe, a king that is a stone throw away from him, that is how the chant is continuously recited. If he is going to his own ancestral compound in Ife, that is how the chant must be recited. It has nothing to do with anything, it is the requisite. He himself cannot say no to it.

We are aware that, as stated prior, only 8 thrones were founded by Oduduwa's offsprings. What you should keep in mind is that everything that embodies the Yoruba identity: socio - political & socio - cultural began with Oduduwa & his sons which then spread to other places. This is why Oduduwa is a rallying point for all Yoruba crowns either founded by his sons, founded by Ife citizens or founded by regular hunters from Oyo, or foundd by a soldier appointed to a barrack like Ede.

So, what gives again?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by math2001: 3:05pm On Feb 07, 2017
Illterate people in government, is not good.

State of origin
Re: Lagos Govt Unveils Statue Of First Crown King Of Lagos, King Ado (photos) by scholes0(m): 3:11pm On Feb 07, 2017
AreaFada2:

I am a product of that conquest in Eastern Yorubaland. I still have a first class Oba in Eastern Yorubaland as a relative. You're simply Yoruba who's only interested in Yoruba supremacy. I'm more and therefore desire the truth. I have written extensively on it over the years here on Nairaland. With Yoruba people coming here sporadically, arguing without proof, spitting bile and disappearing again. But I have been consistent.

There are even European records of Benin wars in Eastern Yorubaland. With details of Benin war tactics. One European account even chided Ashanti warriors as slackers in comparison to Benin warriors. It was not new for them to observe Africans at war. They even supplied guns Benin used in wars. You would not know because you are scholarly & objective enough to go read.
I know it is hard for you to accept that a tribe that is today small in comparison could have done so much. Rome was a small city but conquered Italy and later most of the known world. If not for benefit of written language at the time, all could have been denied.

But in museums in London, Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam and other places have ceremonial plaques depicting Obas of Benin & war chiefs returning from conquest ceremoniously. All clearly written beneath those plaques, similar to how European witnesses described the scenes centuries ago. I have physically seen them all.

Benin was not primarily fighting wars for the sake of it. If a strategic kingdom or chiefdom accepted to be a vassal to the Oba of Benin, a peaceful treaty was reached. No need for war.

Now to Lagos. What was the population of the Aworis, Egbas & Ijebus around Lagos at that time? How organised were they to seriously Benin military might as described by the Europeans at the time? Whatever it was, aside initial skirmishes, they soon accepted the royal party from Benin. Would anyone not initially resist strangers taking up strategic location next to you? I wonder what you point is. I am well familiar with early history of Asipa & Ado in Lagos.

How united were Yoruba "tribes" then to come to the aid of the scanty settlements around Lagos in 1550s? Yorubas were not a homogeneous group then as portrayed now. In fact incessant intra-Yoruba wars were normal. The later unity against the Jihadist was self-preservation fight. All down to Owo knew that once Oyo Empire was Over-run, no stopping Jahadist.

Benin on the other hand fought years of War in Edo North to stop Jihadists from Idah axis.

You are trying to make up things to be outraged about. Continue with that.

Okay , Clap for yourself.
You should be indeed proud for going to war in the past and pillaging neighboring groups.
Edos want their names to be heard everywhere... for people to say Benin this, Benin that, But once any mention is made to influences in Benin that comes from the other direction, they go all berserk.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo / Oba Ewuare ll N’Ogidigan, The 39th Oba Of Benin In His Regal Glory / Alaafin Gifts Daughter, Princess Zainab, Car For Graduating With First Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.