Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,469 members, 7,843,443 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here (5758 Views)

Why Ohanaeze, Igbo Governors Sacrificed Nnamdi Kanu To Northerners – IPOB / Rivers Rerun: Ikwerre Women Sit Down In Front Of INEC Collation Center. PICS / Rivers Rerun: Riggers Caught In Ikwerre Burst Into Tears. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by aribisala0(m): 9:07pm On Mar 17, 2017
Nah by force? Demean demand no be yet boo eee
Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by myplaydiary: 9:52pm On Mar 17, 2017
[quote author=oyinkinola post=54690531][/quote]Afonja Have you checked your Waec result?
Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by myplaydiary: 9:54pm On Mar 17, 2017
Jaysturner:

nah wa
Igbo people....
the only set of Nigerians who ll oppress a people just to get out of oppression from others.
How Ikwerre take be Igbo?
Afonja I didnt see you on the Waec thread meet me there. grin

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by ezeagu(m): 9:59pm On Mar 17, 2017
Looking at Nigeria, it is absolute madness when you see there is a strong regional center or capital in every place but Igboland that is the base of the regions economy, Igbolands base in terms of economy, middle class, property and business, even politics self is in Lagos and Abuja. It's a shame.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by oyinkinola: 10:00pm On Mar 17, 2017
myplaydiary:
Afonja Have you checked your Waec result?
....the west african economics reform? yah! I've checked it!

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by eezor: 10:01pm On Mar 17, 2017
I am ikwerre. We don't have problem with Igbos. They are our neighbor and we are ikwerre. And I think the sooner we respect Our distinctness the better.
We have repeatedly maintained that we are not Igbo but ikwerre. Please let us learn to swallow that. We wish the Igbos well in all their struggles and agitations. It's obvious the igbo have not been fully represented politically and otherwise as the third largest ethnic group. And I know history is on their side. One day, they shall surely overcome.
However, the people of ikwerre ethnic nationality, For the time being, wishes to remain as part of Nigeria. And if in the future, there is need for peaceful disintegration of this country, we wish to be part of a republic From the present south-south zone.
Thanks God bless u all

2 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by ezeagu(m): 10:06pm On Mar 17, 2017
Ikwerre people do not know where they stand, they are as confused as the rest of Igbo people, and yes I called them Igbo. Some Ikwerre people are very happy to shut up about "Ikwerre independence" when they can fleece off of benefits meant for Igbo people. Just looking at the entertainment industry, people like Monalisa Chinda and Tonto Dikeh are Ikwerre but they benefit from the industry, they know if they came with this Ikwerre is not Igbo fake news shit their careers will crash and burn. That's that.

4 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by ezeagu(m): 10:10pm On Mar 17, 2017
Furthermore there are thousands of Ikwerre people who identify as / with Igbo which adds more to the confusion. By segregating yourselves you're only setting up more scenarios where an Ikwerre girl named Chioma is shunned from entering a beneficial Igbo organisation overseas because of her forbearers confusion, you're really doing yourselves and I wish we could more visibly see the difference between Igbo and Ikwerre so all this can be avoided.

6 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by Ojiofor: 10:55pm On Mar 17, 2017
loopman:

That is why a leadership nonentity like Kanu can easily assume leadership role in Igboland
Ngwanu grin

Coming from someone whose leader is a drug fugitive in the person of Bola Tinubu and whose president is a primary school dropout.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by myplaydiary: 11:10pm On Mar 17, 2017
oyinkinola:

....the west african economics reform? yah! I've checked it!
Heya all your brothers haff died on the Waec thread o, you can continue taking refuge here coward. grin
Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by Ngozi123(f): 11:13pm On Mar 17, 2017
Jaysturner:

nah wa
Igbo people....
the only set of Nigerians who ll oppress a people just to get out of oppression from others.
How Ikwerre take be Igbo?

Are you Ikwerre Igbo?

3 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by Ngozi123(f): 11:15pm On Mar 17, 2017
eezor:
I am ikwerre. We don't have problem with Igbos. They are our neighbor and we are ikwerre. And I think the sooner we respect Our distinctness the better.
We have repeatedly maintained that we are not Igbo but ikwerre. Please let us learn to swallow that. We wish the Igbos well in all their struggles and agitations. It's obvious the igbo have not been fully represented politically and otherwise as the third largest ethnic group. And I know history is on their side. One day, they shall surely overcome.
However, the people of ikwerre ethnic nationality, For the time being, wishes to remain as part of Nigeria. And if in the future, there is need for peaceful disintegration of this country, we wish to be part of a republic From the present south-south zone.
Thanks God bless u all

What is your native name?

3 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by pazienza(m): 11:15pm On Mar 17, 2017
The Ikwerre issue is like a fly that perched on the Igbo scrotum, there is no killing it with force without injuring oneself, yet it can't be ignored.

OP. try and join Ikwerre facebook official page. You would marvel at the level of Igbophobia in the mind of young Ikwerre people, I was a member for a year there, and I saw enough to understand the situation of things in Ikwerreland.

If you would ask me, I'd say we just ignore Ikwerre and work out our future plans without puting them in consideration. Who says that all Igbo speaking people must be part of future Igbo republic?

Not all German speaking people are part of Germany. Many of German speaking people are in Austria, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg and their likes. It never stopped Germany from being a great nation and the biggest economy Europe, despite losing two world wars and paying the price for those losses.

With or without Ikwerre, Republic of Igboland will be great. Let's not attach unnecessary importance to them.

Nevertheless, we would and should always welcome those Ikwerres that embrace us, like Uche Okwukwu, we must accept them as one of us that they are.

11 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by DerideGull(m): 11:16pm On Mar 17, 2017
aribisala0:
Ikwerre people are very very different from Igbo people in terms of drive ,energy,attitude to work and business. Everyone who knows Ikwerre people knows this.
Ikwerre people cannot move to and survive in any part of Igboland outside their homeland and they cannot survive in Biafra they will be assimilated.
Which work are Ikwerre people known for?

As long as Nigeria is concerned, Ikwerre is Yoruba. I guess you are happy now.
Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by Ngozi123(f): 11:22pm On Mar 17, 2017
pazienza:
The Ikwerre issue is like a fly that perched on the Igbo scrotum, there is no killing it with force without injuring oneself, yet it can't be ignored.

OP. try and join Ikwerre facebook officials page. You would marvel at the level of Igbophobia in the mind of young Ikwerre people.

If you would ask me, I'd say we just ignore Ikwerre and work out our future plans without puting them in consideration. Who says that all Igbo speaking people must be part of future Igbo republic?

Not all German speaking people are part of Germany. Many of German speaking people are in Austria, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg and their likes. It never stopped Germany from being a great nation and the biggest economy Europe, despite losing war twice and paying the price for those losses.

With or without Ikwerre, Republic of Igboland will be great. Let's not attach unnecessary importance to them.

This is why a referendum is of such importance. We need to know for sure where all of these communities stand with regards to Igbo nationality. If the Ikwerre decide to stay with Nigeria and not join the rest of us then at least we'll know for sure. Right now, we're faced with some people who accept their Igbo heritage and some who don't. There's no general consensus amongst them. If we had a definite answer from them then we'd be able to move on in peace. I really feel sorry for the Ikwerres who are proud of their Igbo heritage undecided.

3 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by Afonjas: 11:29pm On Mar 17, 2017
ozoebuka1:
WE THE NIGER DELTA, SS AND REAL OGBOS, support only the unity of Nigeria!!! we must ensure we blame ipob miscreants, they are to be blamed for anything affecting Nigeria... Lmao, nairaland dey sweet sha. Anyone that doesn't support the unity of one Nigeria is not a real igbo!!! courtesy of "WE THE NIGER DELTA CREW, WNDC " gringringrin

They really the children of olaniyi(waste)

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by coolitempa(f): 11:31pm On Mar 17, 2017
myplaydiary:
Igbo's, there is no better time to promote love and unity amongst ourselves, ohanaeze at the helm of the current President is promoting unity, peace and economic progress across Igboland. Let's support Ohanaeze to promote and sustain unity across all Igbo borders and stop being petty on Nairaland.

Saying Ikwerre denied being Igbo is not totally true they simply chose to be identified as Ikwerre, it does not change their Igboness? Please Igbo's let Ikwerre maintain their identity. We have Idemili, Ngwa, Nnewi, Aro, Nsuka, etc. The Ikwerre identity does not make them any other tribe but our brothers with the Ikwerre title in Rivers, Simply put Ikwerre wants to be recognized as Ikwerre in Rivers state, mainly for political gains.

Igbo's abroad do it, they deny Nigeria for economic gains and survival but come back home to develop their homeland. It is simply a survival technique adopted by Ikwerre's given the situation they found themselves in old Rivers state coupled with the aftershocks of the uncivil war. However many would want to argue that it has gone to far, Yes, because they have that identity now but does that stop them from being our brothers.

Even, when a father disown a son he still keeps his ear to the ground to hear news about him and silently prays in his heart that it is well with him. Igbo's watch and see Ikwerre will not be the ones fighting on this thread, those who will fight us on this thread for preaching unity amongst ourselves are the same people benefiting from the fallout, they want the status quo to remain so that Ikwerre's strength is tamed and Igbo's Economic progress is cut short.

Igbo's sa nu asa na anya.

Steewpeed article. Attaché by force...

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by Ngozi123(f): 11:35pm On Mar 17, 2017
coolitempa:

You're not welcome here. You tried to cause division between Western Igbos and Eastern Igbos in that other thread, even to the extent of bringing my identity into question and you failed. You will fail again.

Btw, as a Yoruba person, aren't you the one trying to attach yourself to another group by attempting to speak for them? This is about Ikwerre and other Igbos. You're not welcome here.

3 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by DerideGull(m): 11:41pm On Mar 17, 2017
At his stage of the cesspit called Nigeria, anybody who cannot happily, resourcefully or unflinchingly identify with his/her ethnicity remains a basement fool.

3 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by myplaydiary: 11:54pm On Mar 17, 2017
pazienza:

OP. try and join Ikwerre facebook official page. You would marvel at the level of Igbophobia in the mind of young Ikwerre people, I was a member for a year there, and I saw enough to understand the situation of things in Ikwerreland.

Not all German speaking people are part of Germany. Many of German speaking people are in Austria, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg and their likes. It never stopped Germany from being a great nation and the biggest economy Europe, despite losing two world wars and paying the price for those losses.

Nevertheless, we would and should always welcome those Ikwerres that embrace us, like Uche Okwukwu, we must accept them as one of us that they are.
I tend to agree with you on everything you said there as a matter of fact i do agree with you on everything written there, but Igbo's should never hold any grudge against the Ikwerre's we can see them as that prodigal son that have strayed but we must never take it to heart or openly show pain or hatred as it makes us look weak, i must confess it is really painful what some Ikwerre's do or say, but you must understand that many of them are acting on stories that they were told by their elders, not just for the sake of political relevance in river state.

That said, we must understand that apart from the fact that the Ikwerres are Igbo's by Blood and decent, they also paid the supreme price of being Igbo, Infact that is where their pains stems from, Heartland Igbo's really need to Understand where the Ikwerres are coming from, The Ikwerre's paid a very bitter, painful and heavy price, while it is true that all Igboland lost something, some did loose more the Ikwerre's are one of such, they Lost everything; lost lives, they lost their lands, they even lost their identity, yes they did loose it to the war.

The Ikwerre's were in the belle of the beast and they were left dry to slug it out themselves without nothing to hold onto, they were surrounded by adversaries who envied their lands and who dint hesitate to take it the chance they got, there was No Ijaw any where in PH before the war today Ijaw claim stake in PH as a result of the war, the Ikwerres had to denounce all that they had to get a meal ticket or see the next day and survive the Nigerian forces and their Neighbors, all this contributed to the Ikwerre saga and it can't just be wished away.

This is why Igbo's should not just throw words at them or feel insulted or Betrayed but seek reconciliation you must understand that this tales was told to the younger generation and it cuts through the heart, thats why some of them have so much hate towards the Igbo's but they forget that the Igbos were also being massacred on all fronts, From Asaba field massacre, to church and school massacres, in the heartlands. This is not a reconciliation you do on facebook or Nairaland, it is one that needs brothers to say they are sorry to one another in tears. Udo.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by myplaydiary: 11:55pm On Mar 17, 2017
DerideGull:
At his stage of the cesspit called Nigeria, anybody who cannot happily, resourcefully or unflinchingly identify with his/her ethnicity remains a basement fool.
Please read my response to Pazienza
Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by ezeagu(m): 12:08am On Mar 18, 2017
While everybody is talking about Ikwerre, let us not forget that other Igbo groups are significant amount of members of the groups have claimed not to be Igbo, this includes parts of Anioma and Ikwerre, but also other rivers groups and Onitsha. The issue is greater than Ikwerre people being supposedly "lazy" or oil politics. It's clear evidence there is something lacking in Igbo society to hold all these people together.

3 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by myplaydiary: 12:11am On Mar 18, 2017
coolitempa:

How this post take concern afonja, Have you checked your waec result? meet me on that thread tongue

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by myplaydiary: 12:16am On Mar 18, 2017
ezeagu:
While everybody is talking about Ikwerre, let us not forget that other Igbo groups are significant amount of members of the groups have claimed not to be Igbo, this includes parts of Anioma and Ikwerre, but also other rivers groups and Onitsha. The issue is greater than Ikwerre people being supposedly "lazy" or oil politics. It's clear evidence there is something lacking in Igbo society to hold all these people together.
Can you stop all this? now i am beginning to question your aim on this thread... thank God nobody is following your train of thought, don't worry very soon afonjas will, then you will get what you are looking for from cone heads, Olaniyi descendants.

Please you can create another thread for your postulations dont derail this thread. Thank you.
Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by ezeagu(m): 12:38am On Mar 18, 2017
myplaydiary:
Can you stop all this? now i am beginning to question your aim on this thread... thank God nobody is following your train of thought, don't worry very soon afonjas will, then you will get what you are looking for from cone heads, Olaniyi descendants.

Please you can create another thread for your postulations dont derail this thread. Thank you.

Is your contention that what I wrote is untrue, that Onitsha, parts of Anioma and the Igbo speaking parts of the 'south south' have many people who have or are still disassociating with Igbo, or is your contention with the fact that I pointed it out in the first place?

One of the biggest myths is that the so called "Afonjas" have much to do with this crisis within Igbo society, while everybody here is screaming 'Afonja, afonja' up and down Igbo businesses are still based in the heart of the so called "Afonja" land and some ndi Igbo have the effrontery to call it "no mans land" like they can fight "Afonja" and carry the land back to Igboland, the "Afonja" do not troop to Igboland like the Igbo troop to "Afonja" Lagos, the "Afonja" is being screwed by Hausa/Fulani as well but they somehow have kept their economy within their borders something the Igbo have failed to do. There is no "Afonja" that is stopping Igbo billionaires and politicians and other influencers from standing up and moving back east to push for port, to push for road, to push for a Lagos/Abuja class Igbo substitute or better, and to make sure Igbo businesses that others shun like Innoson are well patronised. Do you think if a member of OPC or another nationalist "Afonja" front was imprisoned like Nnamdi Kanu that Yoruba, sorry, "Afonja" big men and politicians would fold their arms like the ones in the east? Let us be honest.

I don't believe in digging heads in the sand, maybe more people should follow this train of thought.

5 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by Ngozi123(f): 12:51am On Mar 18, 2017
ezeagu:

When have Onitsha people denied being Igbo?

3 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by ezeagu(m): 12:53am On Mar 18, 2017
Ngozi123:

When have Onitsha people denied being Igbo?

This is not surprising news, Onitsha people call or called other Igbo people nwa Igbo while they say they migrated from Benin.

2 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by Ngozi123(f): 1:00am On Mar 18, 2017
ezeagu:

This is not surprising news, Onitsha people call or called other Igbo people nwa Igbo while they say they migrated from Benin.

Anyone who has any knowledge of us- Onitsha and Ogbaru- would know that that saying is just used for jest. Some people from Onitsha and Ogbaru have an elitist mentality and view themselves as better than mainland Igbos. I strongly condemn this attitude but it in no way means that they're denying their Igbo heritage. Also, accepting that migration story doesn't necessarily mean that they're denying their Igbo heritage. Onitsha was founded by an Igbo man and many Igbos, including my ancestors, once lived under the Benin Empire.

2 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by ezeagu(m): 1:17am On Mar 18, 2017
Ngozi123:

Anyone who has any knowledge of us- Onitsha and Ogbaru- would know that that saying is just used for jest. Some people from Onitsha and Ogbaru have an elitist mentality and view themselves as better than mainland Igbos. I strongly condemn this attitude but it in no way means that they're denying their Igbo heritage. Also, accepting that migration story doesn't necessarily mean that they're denying their Igbo heritage. Onitsha was founded by an Igbo man and many Igbos, including my ancestors, once lived under the Benin Empire.

Well, it's already recorded history that Onitsha people from te have said they are not Igbo but Onitsha people, not by jest. Visitors who constantly get called nwa Igbo did not see it as jest, anyway, but a constant reminder that they are 'foreigners'.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by ezeagu(m): 1:20am On Mar 18, 2017
And note the "scornful contempt" is also how some Ika and rivers people refer to 'ndi Igbo'.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by Ngozi123(f): 1:23am On Mar 18, 2017
ezeagu:

Well, it's already recorded history that Onitsha people from te have said they are not Igbo but Onitsha people, not by jest. Visitors who constantly get called nwa Igbo did not see it as jest, anyway, but a constant reminder that they are 'foreigners'.

Many Igbo communities used the term "Igbo" to describe their neighbouring communities and not themselves. The term only became collectivised after the Europeans came, I believe. Onitsha people are proud Igbos. Like I said, some of them have an elitist mentality but it does not negate the fact that they are proud Igbos. The same goes for Ogbaru people too.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze, Igbo And Ikwerre, Let's Discuss Here by ezeagu(m): 1:34am On Mar 18, 2017
Ngozi123:

Many Igbo communities used the term "Igbo" to describe their neighbouring communities and not themselves. The term only became collectivised after the Europeans came, I believe. Onitsha people are proud Igbos. Like I said, some of them have an elitist mentality but it does not negate the fact that they are proud Igbos. The same goes for Ogbaru people too.

That is why I used the example, there are other groups like Ikwerre who called other people Igbo and it stuck, but also had many people among them like in Onitsha that said they were not Igbo. The point is that there hasn't been any leader or action by Igbo leadership that has come about to finally solidify Igbo identity which is why there's all this confusion happening all over the place.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ojukwu Lied To Our People (video) / Updated List Of Countries Nigerians Can Travel To Without A Visa / Trending Graphic Video Of The Daughter Of The President (adults Only)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.