Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,150 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:28 AM

Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" (19034 Views)

Delta State To Ban Cow Meat Sale And Consumption / Sultan: Something Worse Than Boko Haram May Emerge In The North / 15 Die As Suicide Bombers Attack Konduga Community In Borno State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by Cooly100: 9:56am On Apr 29, 2017
.Calls for the boycott of beef to make government act

.Warns of possibility of herders using cows for suicide bombing

By Ahamefula Ogbu

Literary Icon and Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka yesterday raised the alarm that herdsmen in the country were going about with conqueror mentality, suggesting that there is a movement to enslave the entire nation.

According to him, he returned from a trip outside the country to see that his sanctuary in Abeokuta, Ogun State had been violated and this time, the herders not only went through his abode but took their cows to his door step.

Soyinka who spoke at Freedom Square, Lagos yesterday expressed worry that the government had left the citizenry to protect themselves, and called for a summit of all stakeholders involving herders, cattle owners, farmers and tourists “to chart a way forward in stopping the threat to lives and rapes that the herders spread,” pointing out that the mentality of the herdsmen had changed from the peaceful posture they used to adopt.

The Laureate said the fact that Boko Haram could use Chibok girls as suicide bombers underscored the danger and possibility of the herders using cows for suicide bombing, insisting that the society had to take actions that would force the government to act consciously in checking the menace of armed herdsmen.

“I see no other interpretation concerning these events, I have reported to the police and they have records. They are camping all over the place and they are not camping as peaceful neighbours but as conquerors, that is what is happening here and that is why I use the word enslavement.

“It seems to me that there is a movement to enslave the citizens of this nation wherever they happen to be, they show they are the masters of the land. There is an aggression, that aggression use to be in the forest. I told you before that there are certain parts of the forest that when we go hunting we no longer venture because of what we have seen unless we go enmasse and equipped more than for killing sparrows.

“But when cattle come right into your door step, I think we are in a very different territory. I think one has the right to assume that any cow that comes to one’s door step is a potential suicide bomber and to take preemptive action to ensure that our homes are not turned into Maiduguri. The leadership of this nation is taking this menace far too lightly.

“It is a year ago since I read that speech when the President promised that cattle assault will soon be a thing of the past. Is it going to happen in the next six months? Will the police still be busy chasing kidnappers, soldiers trying to preempt the remnants of the degraded Boko Haram? Is that pledge going to be fulfilled in the next six months since that speech was read?, He queried.

Stating further, “I am not going to dramatise the situation. What matters is that my home is being invaded as are the farms of my neighbours. Some are erecting barriers, things we have never seen in that area in the past since I began living there.

“There have been clashes by the way; there have been clashes between the farmers and the herdsmen. The police have had to intervene couples of time, chase them out, they returned, this time they beat a path to my doorstep. Let us not exaggerate but let us be sanguine about intrusions like this. These people have no respect for human beings and who use human beings including some of our Chibok girls as suicide bombers, why shouldn’t they decide to use cattle as suicide bombers?

“It is not an exaggerated way of thinking, it is accumulation of many things which we have been undergoing in this country not just in my area, in Anambra, Edo, Benue, where herdsmen are being appeased not to kill, not to destroy and what I am looking at in our neighbourhood are tentative polls to see how far these people can go.”

He said the type of dialogue he was advocating wasn’t for the creation of grazing route as it would cause more problems in the country but one where the security agencies would be about their duties while the leadership of the country would make it clear that no herdsman would commit crime and escape punishment.

“In any case, should we wait for another six months that no more Ogun State farmers are killed, Edo farmers are killed, their children raped, beheaded for going to their farms? Will the next meeting be like the one which was held in Benue over a year ago when the herdsmen actually arrived with AK 47 and were not disarmed and were allowed to leave with them?

“This is what is known as impunity, it is actually enslavement, poking a finger at the citizens of this nation. The crisis is very real; it is futile and suicidal to pretend otherwise.

“Some action is required to call leadership to order; maybe we should have a day of beef boycott, find other means of satisfying our protein and I know that vegetarians will be very happy.”

Reminded the issue was not a local one he said: “The threat is not a local one, it is not even a national one. If you remember a meeting I spoke of which followed some massacres in the north, the delegates admitted that they came from outside, all the way from Senegal or somewhere and said they had come and killed to avenge the death of one of their own people who had been killed so they mobilised across the West African region to come and avenge the death of one person.

He also condemned the hoarding of information on President Muhammadu Buhari’s health status which he likened to the way President Donald Trump of America hoarded his tax returns, insisting that as a public officer and leader, he had the obligation to let people know reality of his health to avoid speculations.

www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/04/29/soyinka-herdsmen-exhibiting-conqueror-mentality-movement-to-enslave-nigerians/

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by 201320142015ob(m): 9:57am On Apr 29, 2017
Form don finish oo!

168 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by Itzdrazzle(m): 9:58am On Apr 29, 2017
Wawu

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by ojobek: 10:13am On Apr 29, 2017
stay where you are,no form for you.i hear?

83 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by kenny987(f): 10:13am On Apr 29, 2017
Now the old man actually makes use of his grey hair n grey matter! We shouted from the rooftops that it'd be d worst thing to let a military herdsmen become president but Wole Soyinka and his ilk shut their eyes. Now they have beat a path to his doorstep!

Why won't murderers moving cattle grow a sense of entitlement and act like conquerors when the majority of this contraption have sold themselves as slaves and quickly sacrifice others who dared to speak out and condemn their actions?

The Igbos and other Southern tribes excluding the Yoruba have been castigated and called names because they refused to vote in a murderer and his cronies, sidelined and kept out of what is supposed to be an equal share and now Soyinka, the number 1 supporter is complaining because it has become a personal threat. I wonder how one as old and exposed as he is conveniently dumbed down, dunked his wisdom and welcomed a threat to even his survival with open eyes and arms!

It is best that the better South unite and reject this madness! Amaechi, Ngige and all others picking up scraps in APC and feeling cool had better wake up! Abuja is not their home and the homes are under threat and ought to be their priorities!

126 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by Newmanluckyman(m): 10:30am On Apr 29, 2017
... Good morning Wole Soyinka. You are always full of theory theory yet reality is staring at you like an naked wire.

126 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by NLdie: 10:35am On Apr 29, 2017
Good that it is their icon that is saying this....let hear what the afonja zombies would say

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by Mophasa(m): 10:49am On Apr 29, 2017
Their chief patron is the sit at home vegetable in aso rock

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by Nobody: 10:51am On Apr 29, 2017
Useless afonja man. The hypocrite is now talking cos he has been hit by the same evil that has sent babies,mothers and fathers to their early graves. What an afonja!

118 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by achieverme(m): 11:03am On Apr 29, 2017
Mr Soyinka, you were part of those who made the herdsmen what they have become today. Please sir enjoy the change you created

92 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by EazyMoh(m): 11:22am On Apr 29, 2017
instead of realising another novel you shall go to the authorities and furnish them with any useful info that might help arrest the culprits.
Ipods above as usual still waiting about 2015 elections IB loss.
Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by Emekamex(m): 11:26am On Apr 29, 2017
This herdsmen crises needs to be solved fast. Garri, which used to be a "poor man's food" is now becoming very expensive, due to the fact that farmers are now afraid to plant and those that have the courage to do so face the risk of their plants being eaten by cattles.

The evil herdsmen and not Biafra might be what eventually breaks this country.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by baralatie(m): 11:27am On Apr 29, 2017
it is now that you are making exclamations! wait ooo
the others issue are on their way John stay in touch!

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by greenermodels: 11:30am On Apr 29, 2017
the same soyinka that was abusing gej and his wife, calling her a shippopotamus? i like the way buhari is dealing with all of them.the yoruba's are yet to learn their lessons.

91 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by Kingspin(m): 11:33am On Apr 29, 2017
Herdsmen are every in Nigeria killing people without any resistance then I know they have a plan for Nigeria. And another plan is 2019 election. If Nigeria cannot be believe by everybody let's separate now, I don't need 180 million people before am happy.

6 Likes

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by mangood74: 11:35am On Apr 29, 2017
prof, with all due respect you are one those that supported the election of this good for nothing apc gov, how do u expect buhari to fight his fula brothers, shame on you tinubu shame on baba akande aka show ur teeth Good morning to the yoloba nation! the sun will always rise from the east

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by DrGoodman: 11:37am On Apr 29, 2017
Good morning this evening Mr Soyinka. grin

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by BuariCopyPaste: 11:38am On Apr 29, 2017
Medicine after death... abi you wan 'tear' your Nigerian passport

meanwhile.... how tinubu was eyeing the VP slot during primaries.

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by Blue3k(m): 11:41am On Apr 29, 2017
According to him, he returned from a trip outside the country to see that his sanctuary in Abeokuta, Ogun State had been violated and this time, the herders not only went through his abode but took their cows to his door step.

Soyinka who spoke at Freedom Square, Lagos yesterday expressed worry that the government had left the citizenry to protect themselves, and called for a summit of all stakeholders involving herders, cattle owners, farmers and tourists “to chart a way forward in stopping the threat to lives and rapes that the herders spread,” pointing out that the mentality of the herdsmen had changed from the peaceful posture they used to adopt.

Yeah call the meeting and make suggestions on how to regulate the movement of these herdsmen. Pass on suggestions to State representives.

The Laureate said the fact that Boko Haram could use Chibok girls as suicide bombers underscored the danger and possibility of the herders using cows for suicide bombing,

The won't because cows are valuable and represented a high percentage of net worth and income. Why kill cow when they can buy a bullet and kill, slice your neck or just make pressure cooker bomb. Especially in later quotes you said they move with impunity anyway.

Reminded the issue was not a local one he said: “The threat is not a local one, it is not even a national one. If you remember a meeting I spoke of which followed some massacres in the north, the delegates admitted that they came from outside, all the way from Senegal or somewhere and said they had come and killed to avenge the death of one of their own people who had been killed so they mobilised across the West African region to come and avenge the death of one person.

Senegal herdsmen walking in. Did the book this guy and deport him?

“There have been clashes by the way; there have been clashes between the farmers and the herdsmen. The police have had to intervene couples of time, chase them out, they returned, this time they beat a path to my doorstep.

The police job not to chase people away only but to arrest people hold them in jail. If they return throw the book at them if they are causing disturbance.

“In any case, should we wait for another six months that no more Ogun State farmers are killed, Edo farmers are killed, their children raped, beheaded for going to their farms? Will the next meeting be like the one which was held in Benue over a year ago when the herdsmen actually arrived with AK 47 and were not disarmed and were allowed to leave with them?

Pathetic nothing more.

I would suggest local police forces to solve Herdsmen and secruity issue in general. Direct election of Sheriff to keep then accountable to people the serve. People will need to be willing to pay taxes. I wrote some other stuff on issue.

Shameless plug: https://www.nairaland.com/3768272/why-nigeria-needs-state-local

https://www.nairaland.com/3587636/solution-herdsmen-farmer-conflicts
https://www.nairaland.com/3419292/how-protect-land-herdsmen

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by MrEverest(m): 12:28pm On Apr 29, 2017
Very good development, the ovation is getting louder by the day. One day monkey go market but e no go return.

9 Likes

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by Nobody: 12:40pm On Apr 29, 2017
This is great. We must stand up for our rights. Mushroom tastes just like beef. If the South boycotts beef, these people will lose millions in revenue.

12 Likes

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by Nobody: 12:51pm On Apr 29, 2017
grin
Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by AceSkillz01: 12:52pm On Apr 29, 2017
Good morning, Afonja.

The herdsmen visited you, now you don de wail.

No more Sai Baba grin

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by nwanwaoge(m): 12:52pm On Apr 29, 2017
201320142015ob:
Form don finish oo!

I dey tell u

5 Likes

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by HisSexcellency(m): 12:53pm On Apr 29, 2017
Any update on his American passport status

Or he has changed his mind as a typical Af lipsrsealed j lipsrsealed
Anyways, i dey wait.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by Nobody: 12:53pm On Apr 29, 2017
What is this one saying?

1 Like

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by gudnex22(m): 12:53pm On Apr 29, 2017
you are on your own, have you forgotten how you were insulting mama p upadan?

Hehehehe time has come reap what you have sown.

Is like your brain is on strike
for this childish utterance.

8 Likes

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by obafemee80(m): 12:55pm On Apr 29, 2017
Its good to listen to our elder's advice.
The Prof. is older and more experienced.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by Ovokoo: 12:55pm On Apr 29, 2017
Something happens to your brain as soon as you start supporting Buhari. I don't know what it is.

This is not the Wole Soyinka we know. If Femi Fani Kayode had said something like this, i would understand, but Soyinka?

5 Likes

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by HisSexcellency(m): 12:55pm On Apr 29, 2017
DrGoodman:
Good morning this evening Mr Soyinka. grin
He just woke up
Abeg pardon him, him eyes never too clear

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka: "Let's Boycott Cow Meat, Boko Haram May Use Cattle As Suicide Bombers" by admax(m): 12:57pm On Apr 29, 2017
Sir, you say? What do you want Yoruba people to eat? Dog meat?

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obasanjo & El-Rufai In Italy For Brenthurst Conference On Elections Monitoring / Saraki Speaks On His CCT Trial Win: "I Bear No Grudge Against Anyone" - / FG Budgets N10.6bn For Transportation Of COVID-19 Vaccine Across Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.