Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,480 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? (29182 Views)

How Do Broke Guys Manage To Woo Ladies? / Yahoo Plus, Handkerchief, Ritual Sex: Many Nigerian Female Students Walking Dead / 10 Statements Sex Starved Guys Normally Use To Woo Ladies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Femiblacky(m): 11:59pm On May 02, 2017
Asking a lady out in english is much easier than when you are doing it in your mother tongue,bros,d thing hard
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Okohlient(m): 12:00am On May 03, 2017
xynerise:
And he could be better than the lady he is trying to impress with English language grin
exactly
cus if da girl was gud, sh wudnt av agreed to date da guy.
#girlswithpride sha o
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Okohlient(m): 12:02am On May 03, 2017
EnigmaticEnigma:
I don't always use English to woo girls, sometimes, I use sign language
lol
wehdon sir
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by greatman247(m): 12:03am On May 03, 2017
Because most women like to be deceived and most of them like deceit and lie than the truth. So men tend to use what they like to woo them. But I get so angry with men that have difficulty in expressing themselves in English. Speak whatever you are fluent in or gently walk away.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Nobody: 12:07am On May 03, 2017
Very dumb question,sir/madam. Last time I checked English was our lingua franca(and it still is) and Nigeria is a modern day tower of Babel. Anybody know what that means? The 2nd and final real option is pidgin. Picture this you just walk up to a random girl and start speaking itsekiri because you are an itsekiri man,hence you assume every one walking the streets is itsekiri. What does that make you? Dumb I guess.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by sisisioge: 12:09am On May 03, 2017
In my opinion, being well schooled is one of the boxes a guy has to tick to win a girl over. What better way to show off your level of education than to speak proper English? Except it is obvious you're well schooled, please speak English.

Call me whatever you like o, I can't deal with a guy that can't string two sentences correctly please. Once he's convinced me that he's all right, let him knock himself out speaking any native language ... I'm gamed.

You can't be a writer of... " i am a happy human and believe in God" or "am a happy human and believe in God" and still get my attention. Let only me be the blunderer here biko. Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Nobody: 12:17am On May 03, 2017
Stylz69:
You wey dey blow grammar dey call suya kebab. No be only kebab na stick meat. What happens if I'm Igbo and the girl is Hausa, I should come and go and learn Hausa to toast her. Yarinya mai kyau! Ina so n ki!! Toh shikena... English is our lingua Franca and if she can't understand it, just use the universal hand gesture of putting the index finger of one hand into a hole formed by the index and thumb of the other hand.
Doctors have given up on your mental situation grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by victons(m): 12:19am On May 03, 2017
when you are educated nd she knows...you wouldn't need English to impress
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by goingape1: 12:37am On May 03, 2017
sisisioge:
In my opinion, being well schooled is one of the boxes a guy has to tick to win a girl over. What better way to show off your level of education than to speak proper English? Except it is obvious you're well schooled, please speak English.

Call me whatever you like o, I can't deal with a guy that can't string two sentences correctly please. Once he's convinced me that he's all right, let him knock himself out speaking any native language ... I'm gamed.

You can't be a writer of... " i am a happy human and believe in God" or "am a happy human and believe in God" and still get my attention. Let only me be the blunderer here biko. Thank you!
I pity women like you cos even at 40 you will still see them finding the perfect man!

That's why we men deceive you people a lot, ya reason with a fish brain.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Cleopatra4(f): 12:42am On May 03, 2017
chineduemmao:
honesty pays. oya take crayfish from me to you.
grin grin
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by johncallidon(m): 12:46am On May 03, 2017
From my own personal experience, whenever i approach a lady of Igbo heritage and knowing that we're from Igboland, i tend to cheap in one or two Igbo nuances once in a while but i always notice that their demeanour changes whenever i do that. The question i can assume they're asking themselves is "I'm i sure this guy is not a villager ". Since i noticed this, it's English all the way.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by pansophist(m): 12:52am On May 03, 2017
The reason for such is a psychological phenomena known as colonial mentality. This traits are usually found in colonized countries. It's same in India as well, and it extend far beyond linguistic but deeply woven in all facet of life. For example Indians are mostly brown skin but if you judge India by their media, you'll think it's a white country.

Even in Europe, I experienced such in the balkans and some Slavic countries in their own context. For example an English man will be pissed off if you live in his country and can't speak English, meanwhile, a serb will be surprised and feel admired if you speak to him in Serbian. They would generally prefer foreign goods and consider others better than them. It's subconscious. People with colonial mentality automatically reacts without even knowing they are acting like that.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by DLioness(f): 12:53am On May 03, 2017
kuchikau1:
sex is womens greatest weapon against men. Do u no dat if a gal decide to kill a man, it already done. My brother, every i see guy doing all sort of tin just to gain a gals love, they follow tis gals like sheep witout a shephered, making dis gals feel like queen elizabeth. See hw undaage gals no longer have respect for adults,simply because dey are ben beged and chase by idiot who call demselves guys/men. I came to hate gals wen i knew about d chemistry of their menstral process and hw dey have enslaved men. Imagine a guy tinks hw to bed a gal just merely looking at her and these gals has taking adventage of this to manupulate men, kill great men, destroy d future of young guys.
nto o!
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by inosend: 1:03am On May 03, 2017
Ayam not understanding mysef. Ayam thinking they consider the ingris a more civilized language. Tufia, girls and their artificial tendencies~~hair, nails, eye-lashes, butts,names,lips and, of course, speech.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by soundeedhelp(f): 1:09am On May 03, 2017
Dear Reader, i know God can use any kind individual to bless me

pls i need 10k each. i Actually need 200k to renew the rent, any kind Giver out here?
pls inbox me so i can write my bank details.
Also i will write down the Name's of Givers & thank them specially.
May God answer you too in time of need.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by soundeedhelp(f): 1:13am On May 03, 2017
Dear Reader, i know God can use any kind individual to bless me

pls i need (Ten k) each. i Actually need (two hundred k) to renew the rent, any kind Giver out here?
pls inbox me so i can write my bank details.
Also i will write down the Name's of Givers & thank them specially.
May God answer you too in time of need.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Nobody: 1:20am On May 03, 2017
refiner:
Lmao.... grin...
That was how one approached me and said...

Baby gal,your finest is entering my head,i cant fit think like a man always... lipsrsealed

I felt like crying tho...

You look mentally deranged* thou..
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by CookieBrown: 1:37am On May 03, 2017
fratermathy:
I was on my own "jejely" trying to buy kebab, popularly known as "suya" in Nigeria, and thinking of how best to spice my dinner, when one young man just breezed in from nowhere and with a peculiar accent, uttered "Why does you let my heart broke like this" grin grin. I turned to the person that shot me at the back with missiles of words and found him well dressed and obviously talking to his girlfriend or "toastee". He also stopped by for kebab.

I thought I had heard it all but he shot another missile by saying "Sweet-sweet, talked to me naa. What has I done wrong?"

I couldn't get angry, neither could I laugh. In fact, I reflected deeply on the situation and tried to absolve him from blame. I placed the blame on his teachers (assuming he is educated), as well as the bad educational standards in Nigeria.

Later on, I started thinking and came to the realisation that almost all Nigerian men, whether educated or not, woo girls in "Queens English". It is rare to see a Nigerian man woo a lady in Pidgin or in any of the local languages. This is true, at least, in my experience and based on what I have observed so far. Although I must acknowledge that there are a few exceptions. So my question then is this: what is actually wrong in wooing a lady in the language you are most comfortable with, especially those who speak English only as a second language?

I couldn't come up with a clear answer because even in cities, towns and villages where everyone speaks the same language, you observe this trend as well. So there is no justification on the grounds of communication. What then could be the reason behind this recourse to English when wooing ladies? Is it just a standard? If it is, who started it? Why do those who are not competent in the English language try to force themselves to speak it when wooing ladies? Even ladies that are not competent in English force themselves to speak it, just to appear modern and acceptable. What happened to our native Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Urhobo/Isoko, Pidgin, Efik, etc, when communicating with those of the opposite gender that we develop romantic proclivities for?

I need some responses to further enlighten me on this issue. Let us all discuss.

Lalasticlala, Seun, Mynd44, Dominique, Oam4j, Obinoscopy, Efewestern, Sanchez01, Ishilove, Fynestboi, Bigfrancis21, Afam4eva, HopeatHand, Refiner, LadyF, Evestar200, Smellinganus, et al: what are your thoughts?

I'm not sure if the OP is simply playing devil's advocate or just very unintelligent (My apologies though). I mean, the OP first made a comment about an individuals accent, then went on to indicate the grammatical error made by the same individual and finally asks the question, why do men woo ladies using English? Doesn't make much sense at all.

In a country of over 170 million people from different regions, tribes and ethnicity, anyone still asking why one person speaks English to another person must be brain dead. How is a Yoruba man suppose to communicate with a Hausa woman? In Igbo? What is the big deal or problem if two Nigerians decide to talk in English? A language which happens to be our official language by the way.

What if the guy and the lady in question are both from different ethnicity? Did you (OP) consider this before coming on here to post such pointless topic?

Speaking English doesn't make you or anyone more civilized, modern or more intelligent than another individual, it's just for form of verbal communication. There's absolutely no need to be intimidated (OP).
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by wakes: 3:30am On May 03, 2017
Ok o
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Nobody: 3:36am On May 03, 2017
what undecided I think its cute
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by fanficgirl(f): 3:38am On May 03, 2017
refiner:
Lmao.... grin...
That was how one approached me and said...

Baby gal,your finest is entering my head,i cant fit think like a man always... lipsrsealed

I felt like crying tho...
You're pretty!
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Dollypie20(f): 3:59am On May 03, 2017
dingbang:
Some girls deserve to be wooed in pidjin

What is dis again? cheesy grin
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by legibow: 4:40am On May 03, 2017
because d lady meant not be from d same tribe as the man
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by Nobody: 4:52am On May 03, 2017
refiner your finest is entering my head,i cant fit think like a man always
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by refiner(f): 5:51am On May 03, 2017
onyenze123:
refiner your finest is entering my head,i cant fit think like a man always
grin grin
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by refiner(f): 5:52am On May 03, 2017
fanficgirl:

You're pretty!
Thanks love... u too kiss
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by refiner(f): 5:55am On May 03, 2017
sonofLuci:

You look mentally deranged* thou..
Lol...funny...thanks for d insult tho... smiley
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by officialbj: 6:05am On May 03, 2017
fratermathy:
I was on my own "jejely" trying to buy kebab, popularly known as "suya" in Nigeria, and thinking of how best to spice my dinner, when one young man just breezed in from nowhere and with a peculiar accent, uttered "Why does you let my heart broke like this" grin grin. I turned to the person that shot me at the back with missiles of words and found him well dressed and obviously talking to his girlfriend or "toastee". He also stopped by for kebab.

I thought I had heard it all but he shot another missile by saying "Sweet-sweet, talked to me naa. What has I done wrong?"

I couldn't get angry, neither could I laugh. In fact, I reflected deeply on the situation and tried to absolve him from blame. I placed the blame on his teachers (assuming he is educated), as well as the bad educational standards in Nigeria.

Later on, I started thinking and came to the realisation that almost all Nigerian men, whether educated or not, woo girls in "Queens English". It is rare to see a Nigerian man woo a lady in Pidgin or in any of the local languages. This is true, at least, in my experience and based on what I have observed so far. Although I must acknowledge that there are a few exceptions. So my question then is this: what is actually wrong in wooing a lady in the language you are most comfortable with, especially those who speak English only as a second language?

I couldn't come up with a clear answer because even in cities, towns and villages where everyone speaks the same language, you observe this trend as well. So there is no justification on the grounds of communication. What then could be the reason behind this recourse to English when wooing ladies? Is it just a standard? If it is, who started it? Why do those who are not competent in the English language try to force themselves to speak it when wooing ladies? Even ladies that are not competent in English force themselves to speak it, just to appear modern and acceptable. What happened to our native Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Urhobo/Isoko, Pidgin, Efik, etc, when communicating with those of the opposite gender that we develop romantic proclivities for?

I need some responses to further enlighten me on this issue. Let us all discuss.

Lalasticlala, Seun, Mynd44, Dominique, Oam4j, Obinoscopy, Efewestern, Sanchez01, Ishilove, Fynestboi, Bigfrancis21, Afam4eva, HopeatHand, Refiner, LadyF, Evestar200, Smellinganus, et al: what are your thoughts?
First impression they say!!
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? by dingbang(m): 6:06am On May 03, 2017
Dollypie20:

What is dis again? cheesy grin
pretty gurl kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Amazing Power Of The Kitchen And The Other Room. / What Is The One Thing That Always Gets People Attracted To You? / Watch Tonto Dikeh Behind The Scene Leaked Sex Video. 18+ Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.