Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:59 AM

Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths (19022 Views)

Obasanjo To Makinde: Don’t Pocket Oyo State Govt. / Olusegun Obasanjo To Endorse Atiku Abubakar Eventually - SR / Obasanjo To Buhari: You Must Step On Toes Of Friends, Well-wishers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by joshkiddies: 6:45am On May 29, 2017
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Sunday pleaded with the nation’s youth not to wish elders in the country “dead”, saying they need them as “mentors” and “advisers” in their journey of life.

Obasanjo who stated that his “greatest fear about Nigeria” today remained the “anger and frustration of the youths,” said if not managed, it could lead to “youth explosion.”

He lamented that Nigerian youths are not getting help either from the government or anybody.

The Ebora Owu who spoke during the Youth Governance Dialogue organized by the Youth Development Centre arm of the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library(OOPL), Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, said while his generation had “limitless opportunities but no facilities” in their time, the youth of today have facilities but little or no opportunities.

He cited the insurgency in the North East, the separatist agitators in the South East and militancy in the Niger Delta region as manifestations of anger and frustrations from disillusioned youths, warning that should youth explosion erupts, there may be no limit to the extent it can spread.

He appealed to them to work hard to help themselves and be ready to pay the price for the right cause they believe, saying in spite of all odds, the youth still remained his greatest hope for Nigeria.

Obasanjo noted that when he left secondary school, he received letters of appointments from five establishments and wondered whether any Nigerian university graduate could have such opportunities today.

“Don’t wish us dead, don’t wish us to disappear because you will need us. You need us mentors and advisers to mentor and prepare you for the future. You need our experience and assistance of some of us to guide you through life.

“You should not lose hope, you should not feel frustrated. Whenever I go, they always ask me what is my fear about Nigeria and Africa. And I said my greatest fear is youth anger, frustrations and youth explosion which have no bound.

“We have the Boko haram in the north, the MASSOB and IPOB in the South East, the militants in the Niger Delta and the Oodua Peoples Congress in the Southwest. All of these are expression of anger and frustrations.

“We have what it takes to be great as a nation and we can’t transform this country without the youths. My greatest hope in this country is also the youth. You the youth should work to help yourselves. You must be ready to pay the price for what you stand for,” Obasanjo said.

The lead speaker at the occasion and former Minister of Aviation, Mr. Osita Chidoka while speaking on the theme “Towards a Guiding Political Philosophy for a Democratic Nigeria,” advised that the nation’s leaders should build a society that harness human and material resources effectively, provide equal opportunities and develop capacity for innovation.

Chidoka also proposed a new Charter for the country, saying the Charter should contain reasons for the country’s unity, and which guarantees the basic rights, privileges and obligations of citizens.

“Our national aspirations should inspire the next generation and provide them with the existential meaning of Nigeria. A meaning that transcends geography, natural resources and ethnicity.

“Our political parties can then build their ideologies around the strategies for the achieving our national goals,” he said.

Sokoto State Governor, Aminu Tambuwal also attended the conference.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/thenationonlineng.net/obasanjo-youths-dont-wish-us-dead-still-need-mentoring/amp/

3 Likes

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by madridguy(m): 6:46am On May 29, 2017
We don't need a mentor like you.

166 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by eezeribe(m): 6:49am On May 29, 2017
Don't mind them sir.those youths who wish your generation dead are not better off.most of them do not even know their left from right,they want to become leaders of tomorrow.
Majority of them are intellectually bankrupt,they can't even manage their personal lives.
Nigeria is better in the hands of your generation,not these youths who have embraced foolishness.
If you see how they operate on social media and treasure programs like Big brother Naija,you will definitely give up on them.
When you see them on nairaland,they must use every post as an opportunity for ethnic and tribal hostility.
Most of them know how to spell Afonja and Igbo,but they cannot make a simple correct sentence in English language.

48 Likes

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by jtjohn(m): 6:50am On May 29, 2017
No youth will want to wish u old MEN dead because we are also a potential old men but the reversed has been the case because u old men has refuse to relinquish power to the youth or create a enabling environment for the youth to succeed. Why won't the youth pray that you old men should die though I don't wish u old men dead because i know posterity will judge u all that has brought this Beautiful NIGERIA into a deep Mess.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by BoleynDynaSTY(f): 6:51am On May 29, 2017
Mentors in stealing and how to run Nigeria down abi?

86 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by Nobody: 6:52am On May 29, 2017
Every politician that looted Nigeria wealth should die a terrible death

108 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by slimfit1(m): 6:54am On May 29, 2017
I don't see the 38 year old French president asking for advise and guidance . The structures are there to follow. Governance is a creative position, you can't have people who can create and innovate in government.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by seunlayi(m): 6:54am On May 29, 2017
Baba you are right, those politivcians under your mentoring still needs you but Nigeria youths no longer need you.

36 Likes

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by slimfit1(m): 6:55am On May 29, 2017
Kathmandu:
Every politician that looted Nigeria wealth should die a terrible death

There family will follow them in as much as the enjoy the loot.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by BeenieB: 6:55am On May 29, 2017
Mtcheew angry

1 Like

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by Nobody: 6:56am On May 29, 2017
slimfit1:

There family will follow them in as much as the enjoy the loot.
I concur

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by Nobody: 6:56am On May 29, 2017
slimfit1:
I don't see the 38 year old French president asking for advise and guidance . The structures are there to follow. Governance is a creative position, you can't have people who can create and innovate in government.
gbam

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by NaijaMutant(f): 6:56am On May 29, 2017
To hell with your mentoring

Tell us a successful Nigerian under your mentorship

except crooks and rogues

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by Nobody: 6:57am On May 29, 2017
When the leaders of yesterday continue to take over the rights of today's leaders, what would you expect the youth do? When our recycled leaders keep toiling with our destinies, what do you expect us to do?
ANYONE, MAN OR WOMAN TOILING WITH MY DESTINY DIE BY FIRE. ANYONE WHO IS HINDERING MY RISING DIE BY FIRE.
I know the Afonjas no go like my prayers, but anyone wey like fit go give him head makeObasanjo carry play ball.

4 Likes

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by 3mmanhu3l(m): 6:58am On May 29, 2017
Mentoring in corrupt practices.... Bollocks...... You guys should die already, we'll read of your experiences in books

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by kunlexy1759(m): 6:58am On May 29, 2017
Ok sir.
Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by HITdemUP: 6:59am On May 29, 2017
Your death doesn't lie on our hand . I imply you channel your plea to your creator . He seems scared of death . cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:59am On May 29, 2017
slimfit1:
Every leader need Advisers. He needs the drive and strength of the young people and experience of the elders.

@Topic
Baba Obj, nobody wish you dead. All we want is a system that will allow for generational shift in leadership.

6 Likes

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by dlondonbadboy: 7:06am On May 29, 2017
Mentoring as how?
Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by maryjan8(f): 7:08am On May 29, 2017
Hmmm
Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by slimfit1(m): 7:09am On May 29, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
Every leader need Advisers. He needs the drive and strength of the young people and experience of the elders.

@Topic
Baba Obj, nobody wish you dead. All we want in a system that will allow for generational shift in leadership.

We use or refer to history when advice is needed.

1 Like

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by jtjohn(m): 7:15am On May 29, 2017
eezeribe:
Don't mind them sir.those youths who wish your generation dead are not better off.most of them do not even know their left from right,they want to become leaders of tomorrow.
Majority of them are intellectually bankrupt,they can't even manage their personal lives.
Nigeria is better in the hands of your generation,not these youths who have embraced foolishness.
If you see how they operate on social media and treasure programs like Big brother Naija,you will definitely give up on them.
When you see them on nairaland,they must use every post as an opportunity for ethnic and tribal hostility.
Most of them know how to spell Afonja and Igbo,but they cannot make a simple correct sentence in English language.
My bro stop supporting this politicians, this politicians are the major cause of our problem, if this politicians has don't d needful, Nigeria would have been a better place to live in just like America. Nigeria youth has the heart of Gold just that most of them has been pursued to the wall....Create jobs for the youth u will found out that there will be little or no crime..

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by abouzaid: 7:15am On May 29, 2017
mentoring in corruption?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by smartty68(m): 7:18am On May 29, 2017
eezeribe:
You've lost your mind indeed!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by smartty68(m): 7:19am On May 29, 2017
OBJ speech just added salt to injury. Who still listens to advise from criminals angry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by SweetJoystick(m): 7:22am On May 29, 2017
Na now day break? Me I wish you and your likes....... angry
Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by modaink333: 7:30am On May 29, 2017
Actually

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by teekay213(m): 7:53am On May 29, 2017
Yes we will after you have jeopardized our future.

1 Like

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by TheFreeOne: 8:05am On May 29, 2017
Which yeye mentoring? The same that brought blood, tears, sufferings upon the masses since military incursion to our polity.

Leaders that cannot die for the betterment of their country. Are those ones leaders

They should all go and die.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by Nobody: 8:21am On May 29, 2017
mod pls move dis post to the joke section
no be mentor na pepper menthol
obj craze dey worry u

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Wish Us Dead, You Still Need Our Mentoring -obasanjo To Nigerian Youths by IhateAfonjas(m): 8:54am On May 29, 2017

Even if it means sacrificing my life to see all you good for nothing old heads die, i would gladly do it

You old idiots destroyed Nigeria

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

God Afflicted Buhari With Deafness - Asari Dokubo (VIDEO) / Why We Want Femi Fani-Kayode As Governor Of Osun – PDP Youths / Northern Governors Pay Ayade Christmas Visit, Talk Up National Unity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.