Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,169 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) (43292 Views)

Poll: Who will go through to the Semi Final?

Nigeria: 90% (169 votes)
Zambia: 9% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria Vs Zambia: CAF Under-17 Championship (3 - 1) On 21st February 2015 / Eaglets Shine In CHAN Eagles Friendly; Eagles Win 4-1 / Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Zambia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Obinoscopy(m): 7:48pm On Jan 21, 2010
Thank God Zambia came out first from their group instead of Cameroun based on number of goals scored. This means we will meet Zambia instead of Cameroun in the Quarter Finals.

What are your views on this? Do you think we can win. We all know Zambia is also a very good team. So what is your bet, are we going through to the semis?

Zambia  V Nigeria  |  25/01/2010  |  20:30 LUBANGO
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by IbrahimB: 7:53pm On Jan 21, 2010
Shouldn't it be Nigeria vs Cameroon? Cameroon beat Zambia you know . . .
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by chidyke77(m): 8:03pm On Jan 21, 2010
Obinoscopy:

Thank God Zambia came out first from their group instead of Cameroun based on number of goals scored. This means we will meet Zambia instead of Cameroun in the Quater finals. What are your views on this. Do you think we can win. We all know Zambia is also a very good team. So what is your bet, are we going through to the semis?
Obinoscopy:

Thank God Zambia came out first from their group instead of Cameroun based on number of goals scored. This means we will meet Zambia instead of Cameroun in the Quater finals. What are your views on this. Do you think we can win. We all know Zambia is also a very good team. So what is your bet, are we going through to the semis?
it is NIGERIA VS CAMEROON while EGYPT VS ZAMBIA. correct your subject.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by abadaba(m): 8:13pm On Jan 21, 2010
It is ZAMBIA VS NIGERIA.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by BizBooks(m): 8:25pm On Jan 21, 2010
CAFonline.com has Zambia on top of Group D. So it should be Nigeria vs Zambia. That's much better than Nigeria vs Cameroun. Cameroun will be bring their A game anytime they see us.

Ironically, before today's games, Zambia was at the bottom of Group D with one point from two matches.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by chidyke77(m): 8:44pm On Jan 21, 2010
from angolan tv station it was nigeria vs cameroon for q/finals bt i just wish its against zambia.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by BizBooks(m): 9:02pm On Jan 21, 2010
It appears CAF is not even sure who is on top of Group D anymore. They have removed the table from their website. Now you only have Groups A, B and C showing.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Syenite(m): 9:09pm On Jan 21, 2010
Cameroon, Zambia and Gabon all have 4 points and no goal advantage. Cameroon has head to head over Zambia, Zambia has head to head over Gabon, and Gabon has head to head over Cameroon. At this point, no team can have the advantage so we now go to goal difference.

Cameroon and Zambia both has scored 5 goals and conceded 5 while Gabon has scored only 2 and conceded 2. So, Cameroon and Zambia has the advantage for scoring more goals.

Now between the two teams, who is the leader of the group? We now go back to head to head. Now, you know that Cameroon won Zambia. So Cameroon heads the group on that.

Its complicated and requires some calculation and reasoning and after explaining this, those who do not reason and who have a lot of sentiments will understand.

I know many people wished Cameroon to be out but either of the rules; head to head or goal difference, they will lead the group.

CAF DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

[s]Q/FINAL FIXTURES

Sunday 24 January
Match 25 Angola v Ghana Luanda 18:00
Match 26 Ivory Coast v Algeria Cabinda 21:30
Monday 25 January
Match 27 Egypt v Zambia Benguela 18:00
Match 28 Cameroon v Nigeria Lubango 21:30
(All time CAT)[/s]
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by sultan003(m): 9:41pm On Jan 21, 2010
Zambian Fa president confirmed that it is Nig vs Zambia.
According to the groupings, Cameroon, Zambia and Gabon all have 4 points and zero goal difference, head to head was ruled out because, cameroun has a better head to head against zambia, gabon over cameroun and zambia over gabon.
And it now came to the rule(14.3) that considers the goals scored among the three team concerned, zambia scored 4 (zam Vs Cam 2:3, Zam VS Gab 2:1 ), cameroun scored 3 (zam Vs Cam 2:3, Cam vs Gab 0:1).
So by applying this zambia tops the group.

As soon as i get the rules for angola 2010, i will leave the link here
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Iyineda(m): 9:51pm On Jan 21, 2010
sultan003:

Zambian Fa president confirmed that it is Nig vs Zambia.
According to the groupings, Cameroon, Zambia and Gabon all have 4 points and zero goal difference, head to head was ruled out because, cameroun has a better head to head against zambia, gabon over cameroun and zambia over gabon.
And it now came to the rule(14.3) that considers the goals scored among the three team concerned, zambia scored 4 (zam Vs Cam 2:3, Zam VS Gab 2:1 ), cameroun scored 3 (zam Vs Cam 2:3, Cam vs Gab 0:1).
So by applying this zambia tops the group.

As soon as i get the rules for angola 2010, i will leave the link here

Thank you very much for clarifying this issue, sultan003.

I knew that it was officially Zambia Vs Nigeria but I didn't understand how that was possible. You have offered valuable explanation. I'm still waiting to see said link though. wink
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Syenite(m): 9:53pm On Jan 21, 2010
Confirmation now has it that Nigeria plays Zambia.
Better peering for Nigeria. I dread the Camerounians at any level in football
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by sultan003(m): 9:54pm On Jan 21, 2010
http://www.cafonline.com/userfiles/file/CAN2010Eng.pdf

In case of equality of points between two or more teams, after all the group
matches, the ranking of the teams shall be established according to the
following criteria:
14.1 Greater number of points obtained in the matches between the concerned
teams;
14.2. Best goal difference in the matches between the concerned teams;
14.3. Greater number of goals scored in the group matches between the
concerned teams;

14.4. Greater number of away goals scored in the direct matches between the
concerned teams;
14.5. Goal difference in all the group matches;
14.6. Greatest number of goals scored in all the group matches;
14.7. A drawing of lots by the Organising Committee of CAF.

Hope it helps
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Syenite(m): 10:02pm On Jan 21, 2010
Africa Cup of Nations | Fixtures
Sunday 24 January
Match 25 Angola v Ghana Luanda 18:00
Match 26 Ivory Coast v Algeria Cabinda 21:30
Monday 25 January
Match 27 Egypt v Cameroon Benguela 18:00
Match 28 Nigeria v Zambia Lubango 21:30
(all time CAT)
-Courtesy of supersport
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by rasputinn(m): 10:06pm On Jan 21, 2010
As long as there's no Yobo,Taiwo,Adeleye in the defence and no Kanu in the midfield,I'll take on Egypt and Cameroon combined
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by erastus75: 10:10pm On Jan 21, 2010
Chipolopolo reach last eight at last
01-21-2010
[Send this page] [Print this page] [Share this page]

Facebook Del.icio.us Digg Voisineo

To : (Your friend email adress)

Subject : Chipolopolo reach last eight at last

Chipolopolo reach last eight at last
Zoom
Zambia´s Chipolopolos reached the knockout stage for the first time since 1996 after a 2-1 victory over Gabon in their Group D match on Thursday in Benguela.
The result, the Chipolopolos only win at the ongoing 27th edition of the biennial championship so far also saw them finish as winners of the group with Cameroon and Gabon trailing and Tunisia perched at the bottom.
Zambia, Cameroon and Gabon finished on four points apiece, but it is the greatest number of goals scored in matches the three teams that ensured the Chipolopolo emerge group winners, with Cameroon and Gabon in that order.
Avoiding defeat would have been enough to land the Panthers of Gabon a place at the last eight, but the determined Zambians derailed those ambitions with a convincing win to break jinx of exiting t the group stage on their last five attempts in 1998, 2000, 2002, 2006 and 2008.
The Zambians maintained their reputation as one of the promising teams at the tournament, with a startling beginning that kept the Gabonese defence the busier of the two teams.

They succeeded in breaking the deadlock on 28 minutes through enterprising midfielder Rainford Kalaba who beat onrushing Gabon goalie Didier Ovono after Chintu Kampamba had fed him.

The Panthers laboured in search of their rhythm allowing the Zambians to dominate possession for most of the first half. The Chipolopolos resumed with the same momentum and authenticated the lead on 62 minutes through James Chamanga.

Eight minutes from time, substitute Fabrice de Marcolino reduced the deficit for Panthers by firing past Zambia goalie Kennedy Mweene after captain Daniel Cousin had floated in a high ball from the left.

The Panthers fought on but their efforts were not enough to land them the much sought after equalizer which would have insured their stay in the competition, allowing the Zambians to go through.

Zambia will face Nigeria at the quarter-final stage while Cameroon, who settled for a 2-2 draw with Tunisia engage defending champions Egypt.

http://www.cafonline.com/competition/african-cup-of-nations-angola_2010/news/4420-chipolopolo-reach-last-eight-at-last.html

So, it is Nigeria vs Zambia
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by BizBooks(m): 10:16pm On Jan 21, 2010
This sounds much better. Now we should have no excuse for not reaching the semi-finals. We beat Zambia in 1994 when they had Kalusha Bwalya. We can do it again.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jan 21, 2010
FINAL WORD ON GROUP D TABLE:

Group D Placing explanation: Zambia first, Cameroon second

Following the result of the last matches in Group D, the three teams Cameroon, Zambia and Gabon have same number of points
In establishing the placing, direct confrontation between the teams are taken into consideration.
Gabon 1 Cameroon 0
Cameroon 3 Zambia 2
Zambia 2 Gabon 1

The goal difference is also the same
Zambia 4-4
Cameroon 3-3
Gabon 2-2

Zambia is first because of overall goals scored in Group D, Cameroon is second and Gabon is third.

http://www.cafonline.com/competition/african-cup-of-nations-angola_2010/news/4428-group-d-placing-explanation-zambia-first-cameroon-second.html
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by twinskenny(m): 11:52pm On Jan 21, 2010
I prefer cameroun to Zambian, Zambian are good.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by tayoast(m): 11:57pm On Jan 21, 2010
10k goodness we're playing Zambia.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Mannylex(m): 11:59pm On Jan 21, 2010
Before u can be a true champion, u've got to beat the champions. I'll have preferred cameroun. I wish them luck though.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by aganaboos1: 12:02am On Jan 22, 2010
Why are you guys happy its Nigeria Idiots Vs Z or C period.I am not happy o!!!!
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by woye77: 12:09am On Jan 22, 2010
before you start jubilating that we are meeting zambia, i've heard it on BBC twice that we are meeting cameroun - cameroun beat zambia so they top the group
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Nobody: 12:11am On Jan 22, 2010
woye77:

before you start jubilating that we are meeting zambia, i've heard it on BBC twice that we are meeting cameroun - cameroun beat zambia so they top the group

who do you rely on

bbc or CAF,the tournament organisers

colonial mentality no reach AFCON,please undecided
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Rooneyboy(m): 12:26am On Jan 22, 2010
rasputinn:

As long as there's no Yobo,Taiwo,Adeleye in the defence and no Kanu in the midfield,I'll take on Egypt and Cameroon combined
i completely concur with u brother. And as long as i have my Chinedu Oguike and Osaze on 11 and 7 respectively i have no fear.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by aloyemeka2: 12:29am On Jan 22, 2010
If you guys are afraid of Cameroun and Egypt, why dream of the world cup?
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by Oking1(m): 12:44am On Jan 22, 2010
Nigerians. you guys claim to be the giant of Africa and yet you always want the easy way out.if we claim to be good,lets meet cameroun now and prove ourselves.for how long will we continue to hide? undecided angry
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by BizBooks(m): 1:06am On Jan 22, 2010
There is a reason why FIFA and other Sporting bodies try their best to prevent top teams from meeting each other early in tournaments (through seeding). This increases the likelihood of those top teams appearing in the finals.

Who would you rather see in this Nations Cup Finals: Angola vs Zambia or Nigeria vs Cameroun. I bet the former will draw less excitement than the latter.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by suxes2005(m): 1:14am On Jan 22, 2010
Nigeria will win

either cameroun or zambia let them

come the boys are ready.

IMO, dis is very bad for caf not to be able to detect the

leader of a group, 2 bad

SHALOM
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by celebritee(m): 1:21am On Jan 22, 2010
MrPrsdent:

who do you rely on

bbc or CAF,the tournament organisers

colonial mentality no reach AFCON,please undecided

Its not about colonial mentality, A source is a source. If not, why are u relying on the beeb and cnn to learn the whereabouts of your president. Listen to Madam rebranding in that case!

Point is most pple are confused about the cameroon and zambia scenario. End of.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by aikuda(m): 1:39am On Jan 22, 2010
I think is better if we meet Zambia at this stage of the competion. Each game the SE plays allow them to build their team work. You have to realize that the biggest issue we have is that when you pull together team from players in four corners of the world its hard to build cohesion. We will meet the bigger teams, but first lets beat Zambia first. No team is a pushover anymore.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by kaydee(m): 1:43am On Jan 22, 2010
I prefer Cameroon joor,that team cannot beat our Eaglets as long as Eto is marked out.Nigeria will beat them with ease even if we play the way we did against Egypt.

As long as most of our players keep fit,we might pip them narrowly but there is a big chance of an upset,that Zambian team got character and discipline.I still don't believe those Eagles got wings.
Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: Super Eagles Win On Penalties (Nations Cup) by kennynet: 2:14am On Jan 22, 2010
the only thing that can see us through to the semi-final is prayer.

cameroon or zambia? which one can we beat?

yeye! sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply)

World Cup: France Battle Virus Outbreak Day To Final Against Argentina / Bongani Zungu, Scored At The AFCON With VAR, The First Player To Achieve That / Why We Don't Allow Nigerian Referees Officiate AFCON Games - CAF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.