Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,225 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (88) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2066603 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (1696) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 4:06pm On Feb 28, 2015
@Richmon thank u. I have received d items at Jos purchased from you. Hope 2 do more business with u very soon. Regards
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 9:40pm On Feb 28, 2015
HURRY HURRY HURRY !!!!!!

1. USA TROJAN T105-RE Premium Line Flooded Lead Acid Battery 6V (225AH)20hr Rate ..... @ 34k

2. USA TROJAN J185P-AC Signature Line Flooded Lead-Acid Battery 12V (205AH) 20hr Rate .... 65k

PRAG pure sinewave power inverter " Inbuilt 70a Peak Charging Current" .... (In Stock)

POWERSTAR LIGHT 2kw 12v, 3kw 24v, 4kw 48v, 5kw 48v, 6kw 48v pure sinewave power inverter " Inbuilt 35/0a Peak Charging Current" .... (In Stock)

Latest Model EP SOLAR " i TRACER " charge controllers now in stock
60a 12v/24v/36v/48v MPPT CC with 150v max "Load control feature,inbuilt LCD display, internet kit, ethernet cords and cd rom ..... 90k

EP Solar 30a PWM CC ..... 30k

PERLIGHT SOLAR MONO & POLYCRYSTALLINE PANELS (12v 80w to 24v 290w) ...........now available

MERCURY & BLUEGATE 3.5kva 24v Pure sinewave lcd inverter (inbuilt 70ahm intelligent max charger for large battery bank) #charges with Gen unlike Cyberpower,, easy installation unlike cyberpower,,powers heavier appliances"inductive/resistive/motors/rectifier loads" with the help of 40 inbuilt powerful mosfets driving out o/p capacity of 2500w and max surge protect of 7500w under 0.7 power factor.......... 90k

All our products come with 1 year Warranty.

CALL SIR FRANKIE NOW FOR SUPPLIES / WAYBILLS +2348135031951 .... THANKS
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 12:09am On Mar 01, 2015
DUNKA:
@Richmon thank u. I have received d items at Jos purchased from you. Hope 2 do more business with u very soon. Regards

Oh! I didn't even know you were DUNKA.
Thanks for your business though
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 11:07am On Mar 01, 2015
Second Ts-Mppt-45A and Ts-M-2 successfully commissioned. See picture below.

Both CCs pumping juice into my re-arranged 36v 450Ahr battery bank.

Next upgrade will be a complete rearrangement of the components for esthetics and ease of maintainance.

Thanks to @c0ogumo for the supply of the Tristar CC.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jukeblam(m): 3:40pm On Mar 01, 2015
@everyone,
Could there be any possible issues arising due to storage of working Trojan batteries outside a building, exposed to sun and rain?

Or they must be protected from the elements?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 7:08pm On Mar 01, 2015
jukeblam:
@everyone,
Could there be any possible issues arising due to storage of working Trojan batteries outside a building, exposed to sun and rain?

Or they must be protected from the elements?
See am here... http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TRJN0109_UsersGuide.pdf
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jukeblam(m): 8:42pm On Mar 01, 2015
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 4:35pm On Mar 05, 2015
I am going completely off grid (Nepa abi na Phcn switched off) till the end of 2015.
I want to prove to madam that "I have fully delivered my promise on power"...LOL

The Count up Started on February 15th, 15 days downed already...

Who is joining me?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 4:58pm On Mar 05, 2015
my dream. we dey back dey come
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 5:15pm On Mar 05, 2015
Chai!!
so no a.c for you till year end grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 6:30pm On Mar 05, 2015
Barezzi:
Chai!!
so no a.c for you till year end grin

It rarely gets hot here at night but even if it does, a cold shower and my standing fan will do just fine...#ihavedecided

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 7:38pm On Mar 05, 2015
bodejohn:

It rarely gets hot here at night but even if it does, a cold shower and my standing fan will do just fine...#ihavedecided
. What state are you in?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 8:19pm On Mar 05, 2015
tivta:
. What state are you in?

I am in Ibadan, the Oyo state capital.
My area is general damp. I share boundary with a seasonal stream.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 8:47pm On Mar 05, 2015
bodejohn:

I am in Ibadan, the Oyo state capital.
My area is general damp. I share boundary with a seasonal stream.
. Ok, here in lagos the temperature is very hot.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TSHIRT2: 1:01pm On Mar 06, 2015
bodejohn:
I am going completely off grid (Nepa abi na Phcn switched off) till the end of 2015.
I want to prove to madam that "I have fully delivered my promise on power"...LOL

Who is joining me?
Though i have 500w panel and since january 1st 2015 uptill today it has serve my light,tv,fan,blending needs,most expecially weekend 12hrs tv and decoder need.The CDA is begging me to connect to phcn because of d money they will get 4rm me and my has always been that rather than pay them i will use d money to add 2 my panel,so off grid dey sweet belle
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 1:55pm On Mar 06, 2015
bodejohn:

Who is joining me?
Off-grid is still dream land for me. I was charging my batteries with phcn before now. It worked well from last quarter of last year till February. Now 4 hours of light isn't even assured and gen has had to cut short its sabbatical leave. Its my inverter that is now on sabbatical. sad
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by schneid: 8:23am On Mar 07, 2015
Top of the morning to you solar geniuses in the forum. Kindly view my sizing below and assist where possible.

Power requirement= 43200WH
At 97% efficiency/losses = 44536.08WH
Using 24DC system, AH required= 44536.08WH/24 = 1855.67AH

At 50% DOD = 3711.34AH
At 2days autonomy = 7422.68AH

Battery selection
Using 200AH batteries = 7422.68/200 = 37.11
approx 38pcs .
For 24 system (2 batteries in series) = 76pcs

Solar sizing
Power requirement = 43200WH
Assuming 5hrs of sunlight 43200WH/5 = 8640W
Using SW255w panels= 8640/255 = 33.8 = 34PCs

Solar arrangement
Strings = 2 x 24
Parallel = 17 of the strings.

Charge controller
Knowing that each panel is about 8.5A x 17 in parallel gives 137A. I want to use 2 nos of Outback FM80.

Pls kindly review my calculations and correct me before I do something crazy.

Thanks as I look forward to your professional responses.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by schneid: 8:38am On Mar 07, 2015
Here I am again [sup][/sup] my professors in the house. Am not familiar with water pumps been powered with solar. I know of grundfoss DC pumps but not the AC pumps.

My challenge.
Am to power a 30HP AC pump with solar.
30HP will give me (30 x 750) = 22500watts.
Been an inductive load , am looking at pf of 0.65. This therefore means my apparent power is 22500/0.65 = 34615.38VA.

And considering starting current which might be up to x 3. Kindly advice on this project with the following.

This system is expected to be TOTALLY off grid and running 24/7.

Inverter capacity? Brand and system DC voltage .

Solar and battery sizing?

Thanks as I await your professional suggestions.

Best Regards
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 8:40am On Mar 07, 2015
@ Schneid, it will be near impossible to charge 38 strings of battery adequately.
It is even advisable not to go beyound 3 or 4 strings.
You will definitely need to step up that battery voltage to 48 or 96V so that the number of the strings will be reduced.
I think you were also too optimistic about the efficiency of the system. 85 or 90% will be reasonable.

On a lighter note, are you going to finance that project with a World Bank loan or is it FG sponsored? 78 batteries at 60k each will be 4.6M.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by schneid: 9:44am On Mar 07, 2015
bodejohn:
@ Schneid, it will be near impossible to charge 38 strings of battery adequately.
It is even advisable not to go beyound 3 or 4 strings.
You will definitely need to step up that battery voltage to 48 or 96V so that the number of the strings will be reduced.
I think you were also too optimistic about the efficiency of the system. 85 or 90% will be reasonable.

On a lighter note, are you going to finance that project with a World Bank loan or is it FG sponsored? 78 batteries at 60k each will be 4.6M.

Thanks BodeJohn,
Increasing system voltage won't be possible because its a 24DC load (DC lamps)

I can adjust efficiency as u suggested.

I might have to reduce autonomy to 1.5days

I might have to increase DOD to 75%.

All these above just to reduce cost.

Hhmmmm World bank? Its not a personal project but the owner should be able to fund it.

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 10:16am On Mar 07, 2015
schneid:

Thanks BodeJohn,
Increasing system voltage won't be possible because its a 24DC load (DC lamps)

I can adjust efficiency as u suggested.

I might have to reduce autonomy to 1.5days

I might have to increase DOD to 75%.

All these above just to reduce cost.

Hhmmmm World bank? Its not a personal project but the owner should be able to fund it.

Thanks

Are the loads purchased already? if not, I suggest you go for 220v power so you can go higher on the battery voltage. It might save you some more costs.

Same for the 30HP pump. You will be able to run it on a VFD and prevent the expected starting current...

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by schneid: 10:32am On Mar 07, 2015
bodejohn:

Are the loads purchased already? if not, I suggest you go for 220v power so you can go higher on the battery voltage. It might save you some more costs.

Same for the 30HP pump. You will be able to run it on a VFD and prevent the expected starting current...

Yes the loads are existing. Both for the lamps and pump.

As a way out, I might have to split the load into 3. That way I can have 1200watts each and then size each load separately.
What do you think?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 11:09am On Mar 07, 2015
schneid:

Yes the loads are existing. Both for the lamps and pump.

As a way out, I might have to split the load into 3. That way I can have 1200watts each and then size each load separately.
What do you think?

Perfect, a reasonable option.
Is the pump AC or DC?
You just have to be careful with high DC currents, they are dangerous.

Your efficiencies might also well exceed 90% since there will be no power inversion.

On the side, is your client building a poultry farm?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by schneid: 11:57am On Mar 07, 2015
bodejohn:

Perfect, a reasonable option.
Is the pump AC or DC?
You just have to be careful with high DC currents, they are dangerous.

Your efficiencies might also well exceed 90% since there will be no power inversion.

On the side, is your client building a poultry farm?

For the lights. Its for a factory premises.

For the pump, its for production purposes. (AC pump)

Money is not the issue here.

I just want to confirm if my calculation parameters n methods are in tact.

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 1:33pm On Mar 07, 2015
Sorry for the late response. Get higher AH batteries. Like someone else said you don't want to exceed 4 strings. Charging and discharging becomes a nightmare. Find 6V or 2V Batteries with higher AH.

schneid:
Top of the morning to you solar geniuses in the forum. Kindly view my sizing below and assist where possible.

At 50% DOD = 3711.34AH

Battery selection
approx 38pcs .

Solar sizing

Solar arrangement
Strings = 2 x 24

Charge controller
Knowing that each panel is about 8.5A x 17 in parallel gives 137A. I want to use 2 nos of Outback FM80.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 1:36pm On Mar 07, 2015
Thin film requires more space than an equivalent mono or poly panel. They however don't lose as much power from shading or heat as your mono and poly.
durodee:
Hello house: please what is the advantage of thin film panels over mono or poly panels?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 1:48pm On Mar 07, 2015
I advice people not to skimp when it comes to an Inverter or Charge Controller. We install systems in Nigeria and we had to replace sub standard equipment we installed for our clients at our cost. Most of the systems you purchase in Nigeria are designed for emergency use. The Chinese have flooded the market with equipment that try to imitate the established Inverter brands out there. There are good Chinese brands. I will ask that you Google the brand you are buying before you make the purchase. We have two systems that we have installed that work well. One is made by Voltronics and the other is made by multiple manufacturers. Yiyen and Develpower and many more. They have their benefits and disadvantages as well. The Voltronics inverter is a high frequency unit. It comes with a built in AC charger and DC / Solar charger. Works great when the sun shines. Has a poor charger. Low standby consumption pretty robust. Yiyen powerful charger and the you don't need a voltage regulator does that one it own. Has high standby consumption. It is a low frequency unit.
We have moved our products up market. They cost a bit more but all around do the job we need them to do.
I advice that you do your research before you purchase. Decide if a high frequency or low frequency inverter will work for you

hardywaltz:
Hello House,
I have followed this thread for quite a while and i had commented some time ago but it was lost when Nairaland got hit last year.

I have had my Bluegate 2kva (24v) inverter since 2011 with 4 x 200Ah batteries connected in series and parallel. So theoretically i have 24 x 400 = 9600watts.

My Inverter is analogue and has a 20A charging which i have noticed is inadequate for the system coz 24v x 20A = 480watts/hr
which means it will take about 9600/480 = 20hrs (on the assumption of 0% DOD). My constrain is that i hardly have NEPA lite and I put on my Gen. from 5pm to 1am each day (8 hrs average) but I noticed that it doesn't really charge the batteries.

I just changed all my four batteries (200ah/Bluegate).

So I am looking for a good Inverter brand with higher capacity of charging 45amps or more
with digital display to show the % charging and discharge coz I intend to increase my battery bank and buy solar panels in the next few months so the Inverter should be able to support the incoming system.
Also the Inverter would be powered mostly by a 5kva Generator. (for the mean tym)

Please I will need ur help guys.
Thanks

@richmond77
@Akanniade
@GeorgeD1
and all

Ps:
Some one is offering me a Voltron inverter with the following spec
:
Main Features:
Output Power: 2Kw
Soft start capability for starting heavy loads
New power factor corrected (PFC) charging
Durable construction for long life under extreme environmental conditions
70 amp automatic three-stage battery charger (bulk, absorption, and float)
battery equalization with remote temperature sensor for increased performance
Low idle current (less than 1 watt) conserves energy when no loads are present
Built-in starting control circuits for two- and three-wire generator starting systems*
New digital display shows kilowatts (kW) when inverting and amps (A) when charging
Better thermal performance allows full output power to 50°C (122°F) without de-rating
High surge capacity starts more difficult loads and handles overload conditions reliably
Simplified controls with a snap-on cover that protects settings from being accidentally changed
Durable construction for long life under extreme environmental conditions
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 1:55pm On Mar 07, 2015
Start by checking the voltage coming in from NEPA /PHCN if it is too low it will not charge your batteries properly. The battery will run out quickly if it is never fully charged. They need to see a full charge daily before you use them.

Ogojohn:
Help is needed. What might be the cause of a new battery of 4 of 200amp capacity and a sine wave inverter of 48 volts capacity. The battery h charged through public power source but the charging capacity as indicated by the inverter doesnt exceed 57 percent. And this results that any time their is a power outage. The battery runs out soonest. What might be the cause of the battery not charging to up to 90 percent ? Is there anyway this can be rectified? Is the battery capacity not enough as this is meant to carry a flat of 3 room and a sitting room.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by c0ogumo(m): 2:25pm On Mar 07, 2015
bodejohn:
Second Ts-Mppt-45A and Ts-M-2 successfully commissioned. See picture below.

Both CCs pumping juice into my re-arranged 36v 450Ahr battery bank.

Next upgrade will be a complete rearrangement of the components for esthetics and ease of maintainance.

Thanks to @c0ogumo for the supply of the Tristar CC.

It was a pleasure doing business with you.
I hope to do more business with you in the future.

www.solardepotng.com
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 2:44pm On Mar 07, 2015
schneid:

At 50% DOD = 3711.34AH

Battery selection
approx 38pcs .

Solar sizing

Solar arrangement
Strings = 2 x 24

Charge controller

There are 2000Ah 2v batteries...
Buy 36 in 3 parallel strings for 6000Ah.
Those batteries cost an arm and a leg each, but since money ain't an issue, u might wanna consider it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 5:11pm On Mar 07, 2015
c0ogumo:

It was a pleasure doing business with you.
I hope to do more business with you in the future.

www.solardepotng.com

Sure boss!

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (1696) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.