Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,875 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (90) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2044829 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (1680) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 4:39pm On Mar 20, 2015
durodee:

Thanks chris81964. I planning an upgrade mainly because my energy need will increase in the next few weeks and my current 1.4kva will not be adequate for my @1.5kwh need nor be able to charge my proposed bank of 8 200amp/c10 12V batteries. I am moving house and the new site is completely off grid. My eventual destination is solar but I want to start with something not too expensive but with the ability to rapidly charge my bank if I am using a genset. I read that Century and Bluegate have a 70amp Max charger that was why my interest. I know sukam has a 3.5kva too but being cash trapped now, I was looking for cheaper but a bit reliable inverter to use meanwhile.
The main culprit in the incessant fire incidents was NEPA!!!!! 300v surges fried my stab (Century) and the locally made inverters; seems Sukam was able to performed better - got blown once but easily repaired locally.

Install a surge protection device. It can be installed before the Inverter.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zenus(m): 7:35pm On Mar 21, 2015
Nice work is going on here.
Please i need advise.

I am using a 2 x 12v 200amp prag battery with 2.4kva 24v interver.

I'm planning to add up solar panel to my unit.

Since I'm leaving in a small apartment I'm planning buying 240watt panel x2 making 480watt.
Can someone recommend a good place to get a good solar panel and cc.
My budget is ₦100,000.00

Also how can I connect the cc to the existing setup that is using NEPA to charge.
Can solar and NEPA charge the battery at the same time?
Or one had to switch off.
I also need a simple diagram connecting 2x 240watt to a charged controller and to the inverter and to the battery.
Main while my inverter is currently charged using NEPA.

Thanks so much in advance.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 8:33pm On Mar 21, 2015
zenus:
Nice work is going on here.
Please i need advise.
I am using a 2 x 12v 200amp prag battery with 2.4kva 24v interver.
I'm planning to add up solar panel to my unit.
Since I'm leaving in a small apartment I'm planning buying 240watt panel x2 making 480watt.
Can someone recommend a good place to get a good solar panel and cc.
My budget is ₦100,000.00
Also how can I connect the cc to the existing setup that is using NEPA to charge.
Can solar and NEPA charge the battery at the same time?
Or one had to switch off.
I also need a simple diagram connecting 2x 240watt to a charged controller and to the inverter and to the battery.
Main while my inverter is currently charged using NEPA.
Thanks so much in advance.

First things first. The charge controller charges independent of NEPA. You connect the controller positive to the positive and negative to the negative terminals/ posts of the battery bank in the same manner the Inverter is connected to the battery bank.
N100,000 is a bit too low. You can get a PWM controller for about N50k, a really good one will cost more. I advise you buy known name brands. Don't skimp. The panels can be had for less but I will advise that you go for quality. You can buy smaller capacity and lower wattage. And as you get more funds you can add more to allow you to meet your N100k target.
If you get 140 or 170 Watt Solar world panels, I believe they are 18 V each. You can connect the plus of one panel thto e minus of the other panel and then run the remaining plus and minus to your charge controller. This will give you 36 V. Your controller will step it down to 24V.
We advice that you install a breaker or fuse between the panel and charge controller.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zenus(m): 10:08pm On Mar 21, 2015
Thanks so much for this advise.
I'm so much grateful.
Please can you link me up to where I can purchase 140 or 170watt panel.

Thanks in advance

chris81964:

First things first. The charge controller charges independent of NEPA. You connect the controller positive to the positive and negative to the negative terminals/ posts of the battery bank in the same manner the Inverter is connected to the battery bank.
N100,000 is a bit too low. You can get a PWM controller for about N50k, a really good one will cost more. I advise you buy known name brands. Don't skimp. The panels can be had for less but I will advise that you go for quality. You can buy smaller capacity and lower wattage. And as you get more funds you can add more to allow you to meet your N100k target.
If you get 140 or 170 Watt Solar world panels, I believe they are 18 V each. You can connect the plus of one panel thto e minus of the other panel and then run the remaining plus and minus to your charge controller. This will give you 36 V. Your controller will step it down to 24V.
We advice that you install a breaker or fuse between the panel and charge controller.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 10:11pm On Mar 21, 2015
HURRY HURRY HURRY !!!!!!

BLUEGATE 3.5kva 24v pure sinewave power inverter (Last stock)....... @150k

USA TROJAN T105-RE Premium Line Flooded Lead Acid Battery 6V (225AH)20hr Rate ..... @ 34k

USA TROJAN J185P-AC Signature Line Flooded Lead-Acid Battery 12V (205AH) 20hr Rate .... 65k

The EP Solar "I TRACER" 60a mppt controller is just #95k compared to Morningstar price and has excellent features like: -inbuilt LCD display,
-high efficiency energy harvest with advanced mppt algorithm
-dual core (ARM CPU+DSP) control architecture
-run data and event recording
-multi phase synchronous rectification tech realizing peak conversion efficiency 98%
-high reliabilty including reverse connection, over current and load short protection etc
-diversified load control mode
-monitor software supplement and firmware update
-extensive communication capabilities (RS232, RS485 with modbus protocol, CAN bus extendable)

POWERSTAR LIGHT 2kw 12v, 3kw 24v, 4kw 48v, 5kw 48v, 6kw 24v, 6kw 48v pure sinewave LCD power inverter " Inbuilt 35/70a Peak Charging Current" .... (In Stock)

All our products come with 1 year Warranty.

For best affordable prices,contact Smartcell Ventures,Lagos Nigeria. Simply call Sir Frankie "08135031951" for purchase,fast delivery and waybills .. Thanks !
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 4:40pm On Mar 22, 2015
zenus:
Thanks so much for this advise.
I'm so much grateful.
Please can you link me up to where I can purchase 140 or 170watt panel.

Thanks in advance

Solar shop in Victoria Island
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 6:37pm On Mar 22, 2015
the rains are here again, and with it thunder and lightning strikes. a strike last night took out my luminous inverter, am looking for a lightning protector to buy, can some1 recommend any?

saw this on amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006H3U4HS/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1SE8SE206W84H
, but would prefer any1 i can quickly buy in naija
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by c0ogumo(m): 12:38am On Mar 23, 2015
@ earthrealm

You need a lightning arrestor that can do the job like
Midnite Solar MNSPD300

I have few in stock, please reach out to me through my contacts below.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 6:04am On Mar 23, 2015
Akanniade:
These water filler for flooded batteries, makes filling stressless. It stops water flow once cell level is reached. So far I have topped up twice in one year.
gooodday please how can I get d water filler for flooded batteries?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 6:53am On Mar 23, 2015
DUNKA:
gooodday please how can I get d water filler for flooded batteries?

You will get it on amazon. Search for OTC 4621 Two-Liter Battery Filler.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 9:36pm On Mar 23, 2015
Akanniade:

You will get it on amazon. Search for OTC 4621 Two-Liter Battery Filler.
thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 11:27pm On Mar 24, 2015
Lightning took out stuffs in my house at about 10 pm. my inverter went off and on. my mppt went blank. my 40 inch sony tv also dead.

l immediately dismantled the mppt,I was lucky it came back.
inverter also came back.
my sony tv(worth 165k) is still lying critically ill.

Ill conduct damage assessment 2mrw when d sun comez out.

arrestor on my mind now ooo.
richmond74 talk am ooooo. na me no listen oooo.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by guente02(m): 3:09am On Mar 25, 2015
Please I'm just a student that wants his 96watts laptop to be powered for 6 hrs by solar.
What do i need? I don't have budget and i want it off grid. Any advice?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 12:18pm On Mar 25, 2015
richmon74:

You are welcome and thanks for your business.
waitting for the pictures

Hi, good day. i just joined the forum, read the entire 89 pages of the thread and saw the sunlock video and installation pictures. can you kindly send the costs for such accessories and payment terms?

thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 12:24pm On Mar 25, 2015
richmon74:
This low cost device -MNSPD300 lightning arrestor- Saved the $2500 magnum inverter below from 415V supplied by PHCN on comissioning of a new transformer.

The system below has witnessed two major hits by over voltage. This time around the Lightning Arrestor did a very good job by shutting off the inverter from the excess power supply and in the process gave up the ghost just like Jesus Christ in order to save the Inverter after struggling to cut off the excess voltage for about 45 mins. The client was so happy with the protection and called for immediate replacement of the MNSPD300.

The remains of the MNSPD300 was given a very honourable burial as it has left behind a golden legacy for it's family. May It's Soul rest in Peace.

The story continues...

nice: how do i contact you for these stuff? just joined,
thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 12:37pm On Mar 25, 2015
tivta:
. Ok, here in lagos the temperature is very hot.

if it is not too humid, you may wish to construct a solar evaporator, with a dc fan, with a small ac/dc adaptor. it will run quietly and cool you, works better with ice packs though. just saying. check on youtube for several installation videos.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 12:40pm On Mar 25, 2015
GeorgeD1:

hotwire,
when you connect batteries in series, you increase their voltage but current remains the same and when you connect them in parallel, voltage remains the same but current increases. lets say i have four 12v 200a/h batteries, in series they will be 12*4=48v with same 200ah. but in parallel those same 4 batteries will be 200ah*4=800ah but same 12v. remember however that this does not affect the power output from the batteries as the four of them will still give you 200*12=2400w for the rated period.

having said that, whether batteries are connected in series or parallel really depends on what the installer wants to achieve. it does not affect the inverter in anyway, neither does it affect the charge controller.

but there is a problem with parallel connected batteries which has to do with the way they are connected. if paralleled wrongly, some batteries in the loop will be charging better than others and over time, those batteries not receiving enough charge will drag down the rest of the good batteries. that is why from the practical point of view, series connection is always preferred over parallel connected systems.

how many strings have you connected in parallel before that proved practically feasible?
thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 5:01pm On Mar 25, 2015
ilenaira:
George, if you need isolators or dc breakers let me know. I can pick them up as I get mine. The same for busbars and terminal blocks.

The inverters that I've seen are from China

(here's a not so great advert for it on you tube, the guy had wired them incorrectly)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8M9A8hd62E.

They are quite easy to set up and apparently have double their stated peak power as the surge rating. They can also be used individually if you want to dismantle your set-up or sell on in going to single inverter. I am just waiting for the specs first before I commit. The only downside I can see is that there is no display panel on them from which I can get feedback on power output /dignostics/ etc. I just cannot ignore them as the price for the 2-3 pieces I need will not even buy me one Xantrex or Outback equivalent, let alone 2.

If the specs don't convince, I'll stick to one inverter.

hi, how do i get them from you: pls sms your number to me: 08036812998
thanks,
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 5:14pm On Mar 25, 2015
TotalGreen:
hi,
i am new in this forum, read some of your post and would like to contribute to this topic, i have been in renewable business for some time, i would say i have a little experience about this topic. i would like to answer some questions that might be of help.

@pdozie : please you cannot equalize sealed deep batteries, only Flooded batteries can bee equalized, flooded meaning maintenance batteries(where you can open to caps and fill in distilled water).

@bodejohn : (6 panels....2pcs of 120watts and 4 pieces of 100watts., I will be buying 4 more 120watts by the weekend.
I plan to change the whole array to 120watts and rest all the 100watts panels till I get another charge, controller.)

like to ask, those that us MPPT controllers how do you connect your panels, example i guess the for you to have sukam 3.5kva you would be running 48volt dc, how did you combine "2pcs of 120watts and 4 pieces of 100watts" on your MPPT controller.

just asking to know, cause i do not think you might be maximissing your MPPT controller on the HOT days.

Hi totalgreen: can you kindly send me contact details, need install accessories. thanks. 08036812998

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 5:26pm On Mar 25, 2015
ilenaira:
Isolator, breakers and Charge Controller. The two green lights means good news from solar array and battery state.

hi, i was searching on the entire thread tow can i get to locate this pix you posted, how can i get the disconnect switches and mini combiner? how much do they cost? thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 9:31am On Mar 26, 2015
Who cares to join us in as we round off our 20kVA Hybridg System installation today?

Project config:

36pcs of SW255 (255W) Solarworld Sunmodule Solar Panels
Pro Solar Mount for 36 Panels
3pcs of SMA Sunny Island 8.0H Inverters
1pc of SMA 11kW Sunny Mini Central PV Inverter
1pc SMA Sunny Webbox
1pc SMA Control Panel
24pcs Hoppecke OPzS Solar.Power 3250 (3250AH 2V) Batteries

This system will be powering a data center with 6 air-conditioners.

Solar Panels mounting completed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 9:32am On Mar 26, 2015
SMA Inverters in place.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 9:54am On Mar 26, 2015
Next stage is wiring and configuration.

our contacts still remain:

phone/whatsapp: 08023033135, 08182218868
email: contact@pbasesolar.com

plz like our facebook page 'PBASE Solar' and invites friend to like it too and help us grow.

More about the recent installations will be coming up soon on the facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pbasesolar
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 10:43am On Mar 26, 2015
richmon74:
Next stage is wiring and configuration.

our contacts still remain:

phone/whatsapp: 08023033135, 08182218868
email: contact@pbasesolar.com

plz like our facebook page 'PBASE Solar' and invites friend to like it too and help us grow.

More about the recent installations will be coming up soon on the facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pbasesolar

Say what? 20kva? Just one question, will all the ac be on 24hrs a day and what are their capacities? What else will be powered 24hrs? Is it totally off grid? Ok I lied about the one question part(he is without sin cast the first stone) I await your honest reply as usual.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 3:57pm On Mar 26, 2015
richmon74:
Who cares to join us in as we round off our 20kVA Hybridg System installation today?

Project config:

36pcs of SW255 (255W) Solarworld Sunmodule Solar Panels
Pro Solar Mount for 36 Panels
3pcs of SMA Sunny Island 8.0H Inverters
1pc of SMA 11kW Sunny Mini Central PV Inverter
1pc SMA Sunny Webbox
1pc SMA Control Panel
24pcs Hoppecke OPzS Solar.Power 3250 (3250AH 2V) Batteries

This system will be powering a data center with 6 air-conditioners.

Solar Panels mounting completed.

Hello Richmond, nice project you have going on there.
But you need more than 36 pcs of the solar modules. That battery size is massive.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 12:27am On Mar 27, 2015
The Election wahala halted our work today. We ended up just mounting the cable trays, webbox, control panels pv & battery fuse boxs and positioned battery in place.

Few hours wiring and configuration remains.

watch and like our facebook page for more pictures soon.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 12:38am On Mar 27, 2015
Akanniade:

Hello Richmond, nice project you have going on there.
But you need more than 36 pcs of the solar modules. That battery size is massive.

Yes Oga

36 255w panels is simply a joke for this batteries if they were to depend on Solar Panels only. To run this system effectively on solar panels alone it will require about 130 255w panels.

However, the system is a hybrid system and the installation includes a 100kVA generator with generator auto start system from the SMAs. Dont ask me too much question cos the design was handed over to me and I didnt have any room for adjustment.

I am still waiting for you to move to SMA though
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by schneid: 6:40am On Mar 27, 2015
richmon74:
The Election wahala halted our work today. We ended up just mounting the cable trays, webbox, control panels pv & battery fuse boxs and positioned battery in place.

Few hours wiring and configuration remains.

watch and like our facebook page for more pictures soon.

Good job Oga Richmond. Just reading this though and I thank God kiss the election wahala halted your installation because I would have missed out. I wish to see those SMA in action and the sunlock Mount installation. I hope to join you next week when work resumes. Cheerio bro
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by temizeee(m): 11:44pm On Mar 27, 2015
Greetings to diy brothers in the house...thanks for encouraging us..
i have 2×90 watt off sunmodule panels,10 amp charge controller,selfmade inverter(m an eee student like building circuit), i will get battery soon, am a student n i dont av so much load just a tv,dvd,a fan n 11watt energy saving bulb.
can some of these loads be powered on during d day n ba3 still get charge via my 2×90watt solar panel ... can't afford more than does panel for now.....if it will work den i will know i need only ba3 if it won't i can hold on for ba3 n buy more panels later
i just want real life feasibility abour d panel corresponding to d loads...ideally d load can b run for 6hrs perday...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 7:25am On Mar 28, 2015
temizeee:
Greetings to diy brothers in the house...thanks for encouraging us..
i have 2×90 watt off sunmodule panels,10 amp charge controller,selfmade inverter(m an eee student like building circuit), i will get battery soon, am a student n i dont av so much load just a tv,dvd,a fan n 11watt energy saving bulb.
can some of these loads be powered on during d day n ba3 still get charge via my 2×90watt solar panel ... can't afford more than does panel for now.....if it will work den i will know i need only ba3 if it won't i can hold on for ba3 n buy more panels later
i just want real life feasibility abour d panel corresponding to d loads...ideally d load can b run for 6hrs perday...

@temizeee, I honestly think you can do the rest work your self. DO THE maths, present your results. then we may do some corrections. I am saying this because you said you study EEE.
Calculate your daily energy consumption in KWH.
Estimate how much energy your 2 by 90w pv will harvest in 4 to 5 hours daily in KWH.
ure welcome to this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 4:58pm On Mar 28, 2015
schneid:

Good job Oga Richmond. Just reading this though and I thank God kiss the election wahala halted your installation because I would have missed out. I wish to see those SMA in action and the sunlock Mount installation. I hope to join you next week when work resumes. Cheerio bro

Hmmm.
The mounts and the panels have been completed. Its only wiring and configuration of the SMAs that is remaining

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (1680) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Bb007, dbshaywhy(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.