Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,809 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? (19332 Views)

Are These The Worst Paint Jobs Ever Done On Cars? / The 10 Wonders Nigerian Khaz Custom Did On Cars With Wraps (pictures) / Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 16, 2017
saintjoel:

Then stop replying and do what I call a " waka pass".

You quoted me, so the onus is on me to reply to you and I will always reply.

I know it hurts you but you'll work through it,
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by SmartchoiceNGR: 5:04pm On Jul 16, 2017
EgunMogaji:

grin

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by SmartchoiceNGR: 5:07pm On Jul 16, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Despite all the nonsense that you wrote , normal citizens do pay the duties on importation without an agent which is the point of my post.

Yes if you're a company then I suppose you'll need an agent.

The hunger in Nigeria just creates a feasting orgy for all sorts of delinquent professions.
Mi Oni GBA... Laelae.... Deliquent profession ke?

2 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 5:09pm On Jul 16, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Hurts me, can't stop laughing.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by SmartchoiceNGR: 5:10pm On Jul 16, 2017
bravolad:
There's a lot of connivance between Nigeria Customs Service Officials and agents. Most times, agents pay just a fraction of what they charged the importer or car owner as duty. This amount paid represents what the NCS officials have agreed with agents as being sufficient for the particular year model and another percentage of the money is shared between them.

From a personal experience, the major reason clearing of cars is shrouded in secrecy is the level of kickbacks in the process for which the agents & NCS officials benefit hugely from.

Sometime last year, I sought to know if I could clear my car by myself; the reality is NCS official in collaboration with Agents will frustrate your effort to achieve this.

The question is; why is it difficult for an importer to walk into the NCS formation to obtain the cost of of clearing his/her consignment without the need for a middleman?
Agents won't allow. I will like to reserve my comments about some top agents in here... My experience...no be here. Eventually I learnt how to do the needful... cutting them off.

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by SmartchoiceNGR: 5:12pm On Jul 16, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Like I told you before, you're pissing against the wind. There's nothing that you type that is of any worth to me.

Again, you're inconsequential and I'm not in your demograohics. I just don't care nearly enough about grown men that are parading around as if they are performing world saving duties. When primary six students can calculate duites due and make an electronic transfer based on it.

You're about as useful to me as a soda pop top.
Ahah kini Joel se ke?...soda pop top is Uber useless

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jul 16, 2017
For those of us who have to deal with shipping and stuff, this is an excellent site to read up on.

http://shippingposition.com.ng

News on some of the misftits, vagabonds and odd toed orangutangs that are parading around as agents when they are really dubious unemployable characters:

http://shippingposition.com.ng/main-news/clearing-agent-in-court-over-alleged-n18m-car-theft

http://independent.ng/clearing-agent-docked-over-n6-3m-theft/

http://www.pulse.ng/gist/clearing-agent-in-court-over-alleged-n1-8m-car-theft-id6658421.html

http://shipsandports.com.ng/fake-clearing-agent-in-court-for-alleged-theft-of-n7-8m-vehicles/

I'll stop here.

If it barks like a Dog, pisses on fire hydrants like a Dog then ........... grin

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 5:18pm On Jul 16, 2017
bravolad:
There's a lot of connivance between Nigeria Customs Service Officials and agents. Most times, agents pay just a fraction of what they charged the importer or car owner as duty. This amount paid represents what the NCS officials have agreed with agents as being sufficient for the particular year model and another percentage of the money is shared between them.

From a personal experience, the major reason clearing of cars is shrouded in secrecy is the level of kickbacks in the process for which the agents & NCS officials benefit hugely from.

Sometime last year, I sought to know if I could clear my car by myself; the reality is NCS official in collaboration with Agents will frustrate your effort to achieve this.

The question is; why is it difficult for an importer to walk into the NCS formation to obtain the cost of of clearing his/her consignment without the need for a middleman?

You can clear your goods or vehicles yourself, if you can go through the stress and you understand how it works. That's what I've been trying to clear, nothing stops you from going into a DTI to capture and obtaining values yourself, i've had instances that clients will tell me that they prefer doing things themselves and I allow them,as long as you're doing what's right by law and you're not short-changing government. There are even times that I tabulate the fees and how it'll be spent for clients and since I don't have anything to hide, why will I stop you the importer from knowing what's going on.

Only agents that have things to hide will tell you that you wouldn't be allowed to go around with them. If youre ready to pay my service charge,why won't I take you around to process the papers, at least it's not my car or container.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by SmartchoiceNGR: 5:20pm On Jul 16, 2017
saintjoel:

You can clear your goods or vehicles yourself, if you can go through the stress and you understand how it works. That's what I've been trying to clear, nothing stops you from going into a DTI to capture and obtaining values yourself, i've had instances that clients will tell me that they prefer doing things themselves and I allow them. There are even times that I tabulate the fees and how it'll be spent for clients and since I don't have anything to hide, why will I stop you the importer from knowing what's going on.

Only agents that have things to hide will tell you that you wouldn't be allowed to go around with them. If youre ready to pay my service charge,why won't I take you around to process the papers, at least it's not my car or container.
Why do you have to take the importer around... can't he go around by himself?

3 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 16, 2017
saintjoel:

Hurts me, can't stop laughing.

Of course now, that's typically the prefix into running unclad into the market. Why won't you laugh? grin
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 5:22pm On Jul 16, 2017
SmartchoiceNGR:

Did you forget to read where I stated that you as the importer can go around to process duty yourself, if you know how to do it.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 5:24pm On Jul 16, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Of course now, that's typically the prefix into running unclad into the market. Why won't you laugh? grin

At least you were already dancing unclad in the market before me, that's why you know that laughter comes before running into the market.

2 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by SmartchoiceNGR: 5:24pm On Jul 16, 2017
saintjoel:

Did you forget to read where I stated that you as the importer can go around to process duty yourself, if you know how to do it.
Lies you people create unnecessary bottlenecks in collaboration with the NCS officers...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 5:24pm On Jul 16, 2017
SmartchoiceNGR:

Lies you people create unnecessary bottlenecks in collaboration with the NCS officers...

Which bottle necks, start listing them one after the other.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by SmartchoiceNGR: 5:27pm On Jul 16, 2017
saintjoel:

Which bottle necks, start listing them one after the other.
The need for ANCLA cards for passage purposes...

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 16, 2017
SmartchoiceNGR:

This is exactly what I'm trying to say.

Clearing a vehicle should be one of the simplest tasks to perform at the ports. There's no need for these guys, the secrecy and a formula that requires a mathematical degree to figure out.

The average Nigeria, not all, is a corrupt entity and is DNA coded to act in a corrupt manner. They know no other way.

You should get a call from Nigerian customs that your vehicle has arrived in port (you already know this because you are tracking the ship online) and to come in to collect in within X amount of days, "Oh please Sir we don't accept cash for the duties which will be X%."

You'll arrive there with your ATM card to pay the money. "Here's your receipt and envelope of documents Sir. Have a nice day Sir." DONE.

But we have to turn it into a drama.

I'll like to hear from one Nairalander that has successfully clear a vehicle without the help of an agent through any Nigerian port (not border entry).

The fish rots from the head.

6 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jul 16, 2017
saintjoel:

At least you were already dancing unclad in the market before me, that's why you know that laughter comes before running into the market.

That was such a kindergartener response cool

You were doing better.

PS: By the way, you haven't accuse me of washing "corpers" overseas yet grin

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 5:32pm On Jul 16, 2017
SmartchoiceNGR:

The need for ANCLA cards for passage purposes...

Passage to the offices, you can write a letter through my agency and you'll be given one if you need it but you need to know about how agencies operate, as long as you know what you're doing, no qualms. The use of cards started after some quacks started parading themselves as agents and ANLCA started having issues with scams etc. Most times when you hear that an importer was scammed by an agent, you'll find out that the person as not licensed by ANLCA.

Any other bottleneck??
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by SmartchoiceNGR: 5:34pm On Jul 16, 2017
saintjoel:

Passage to the offices, you can write a letter through my agency and you'll be given one if you need it but you need to know about how agencies operate, as long as you know what you're doing, no qualms. The use of cards started after some quacks started parading themselves as agents and ANLCA started having issues with scams etc. Most times when you hear that an importer was scammed by an agent, you'll find out that the person as not licensed by ANLCA.

Any other bottleneck??
That is enough bottleneck which is the gateway to the Pandora's box you people are being accused of here

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 5:40pm On Jul 16, 2017
SmartchoiceNGR:

That is enough bottleneck which is the gateway to the Pandora's box you people are being accused of here

There's no Pandora's box anywhere, because you've dealt with a fraudulent agents doesn't make another person fraudulent. I've made more money in other places than what I've made as an AGENT and it's because I stick to my rules. I've even had instances where importers will say "ha,your price is expensive " and I'll calmly take them down to valuation to see what's happening. Yorubas will say "ko si awo kan, ninu epo epa" . You can easily walk to any customs office and demand for the tariff booklet, which you can use to calculate duty. Whatever extra that your agent demands for, you can ask him to tabulate it and you pay if you're satisfied.

Most times, those huge amounts of money you pay goes into customs pocket. I once did a Range Rover last year and we were supposed to pay N7.5m,you can go through my posts,you'll see the picture there. . I took my client directly to the Deputy controllers in charge of vehicle seat and valuation,so that he'll be sure he has paid.

Between them they collected the money, paid N5m to the bank and shared the remaining amongst themselves. I only managed got N50,000 from them after all my efforts, I swear with all I've,you can ask anyone at SEME about the job. My colleagues keep insulting me for days, they blamed me for doing the right thing by declaring everything to customs.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by SmartchoiceNGR: 5:41pm On Jul 16, 2017
saintjoel:

There's no Pandora's box anywhere, because you've dealt with a fraudulent agents doesn't make another person fraudulent. I've made more money in other places than what I've made as an AGENT and it's because I stick to my rules. I've even had instances where importers will say "ha,your price is expensive " and I'll calmly take them down to valuation to see what's happening. Yorubas will say "ko si awo kan, ninu epo epa" . You can easily walk to any customs office and demand for the tariff booklet, which you can use to calculate duty. Whatever extra that your agent demands for, you can ask him to tabulate it and you pay if you're satisfied.
You maybe one of the few exceptions.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 5:54pm On Jul 16, 2017
SmartchoiceNGR:

You maybe one of the few exceptions.

If you know what we as licensed agents pass through in the hands of government and customs, you wouldn't even import a spoon into Nigeria again.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Marpol: 7:16am On Jul 17, 2017
saintjoel:

One questions that I'll like to ask is this, have you ever gone to a Nigerian port to clear your vehicle yourself and you weren't allowed to do it?

Yes. I was told I have to be a registered customs agent to do so.

3 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Marpol: 7:22am On Jul 17, 2017
SmartchoiceNGR:

Agents won't allow. I will like to reserve my comments about some top agents in here... My experience...no be here. Eventually I learnt how to do the needful... cutting them off.

Pls kindly educate us on how you were able to do this.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Readonee35L(m): 8:29am On Jul 17, 2017
Saintjoel
I fully understand your point and you've tried in explaining the activities at the ports and how everything is operated.
The purpose of this thread is to educate and learn the right thing.
Egbon Egunmogaji make una no quarrel o

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Nobody: 8:59am On Jul 17, 2017
Readonee35L:
Saintjoel
I fully understand your point and you've tried in explaining the activities at the ports and how everything is operated.
The purpose of this thread is to educate and learn the right thing.
Egbon Egunmogaji make una no quarrel o

Double Tuale for my chief grin

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Nobody: 9:00am On Jul 17, 2017
Marpol:

I've been told the same thing and by more than one person.

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 9:01am On Jul 17, 2017
Marpol:

Marpol, Readonee35L and other people that will be interested in this story, let me tell you why I keep insisting that been an AGENT is not rocket science if you've interest IN it and you can devote your time.

As far back as 2010, I was serving in of the security arms of government but I came down with what we call a SYNCOPE,which made me collapse much often and affected my speech, those that have met me once in a while will tell you that I lisp in my speech sometimes because of muscle twitches. After my discharge, I decided to learn about car sales and farming, I started operating around agindingbi and Oluwalogbon Motors axis,where my cousin had a car stand before we moved to our permanent site and we are still operating presently.

We had this old man that was an AGENT that helped us clear our vehicles through the port and land borders but it was so unfortunate that we kept having issues with customs,so I decided around 2012 that I will even devote my time to learn how agencies operate and how I can clear our vehicles myself. I linked up with my uncle that happened to a customs officer at airport and he linked me to an agency where I spent around eight months to learn how to clear vehicles and containers. It was after I was now experienced in it, that I convinced my uncle to invest in a D.T.I and we went to the Ministry of Finance and Customs in Abuja to get the license and till now we are still operating.

If you also want to know how I started my cotonou runs, I will also tell you. Originally my family were from Cotonou but my great grand Dad died as a Nigerian, even Dad was a two time special adviser and commissioner in Ogun state,so it came to a time that we were loosing sales to auto Berger people and dealers in Lagos can testify to that. My cousin and I did a little research and we discovered how we could help our clients get cars through Cotonou and since I was already qualified as an AGENT, all I do is just help purchase and clear myself without any other middleman as agent . We've been using that to augment our lagos business and people that have been to my Cotonou office will tell you how things operate there.

That was how I became a clearing agent and that's why I keep insisting that it's not rocket science if you've the time and money to spare. The fact that you've met one or two fraudulent agents doesn't make all of us fraudulent, oliverjaid and SheffyUTD are people that I also know in our field. We're just normal day to day people with stakes somewhere else.

I hope you weren't bored with my life story.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by DaimlerBen(m): 9:14am On Jul 17, 2017
SmartchoiceNGR:

Please...

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Franknerd(m): 6:18am On Jul 18, 2017
Please permit me to derail this thread a bit.

I bought a car at an auction site in USA nd was shipped to Nigeria through Grimaldi. When d car arrived here, the car keys were missing meanwhile the keys were there at the auction site and the driver dat took the car to the port in the States confirmed that the keys were there.

Surprisingly, I am getting this kind of trash from Grimaldi dat I hav always believed is reliable.

How do I go about this to recover the car keys? Any suggestions, pls! Thanks

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by erico2k2(m): 8:11am On Jul 18, 2017
Franknerd:
Please permit me to derail this thread a bit.

I bought a car at an auction site in USA nd was shipped to Nigeria through Grimaldi. When d car arrived here, the car keys were missing meanwhile the keys were there at the auction site and the driver dat took the car to the port in the States confirmed that the keys were there.

Surprisingly, I am getting this kind of trash from Grimaldi dat I hav always believed is reliable.

How do I go about this to recover the car keys? Any suggestions, pls! Thanks
Name and model of car?
Cut your keys,
I think the Keys where misplaced at the shipping ground after it was delivered to the parking lot at the port.
Once your car gets driven into the the ship no one goes there, the keys are left at the ignition.
Loading ur car with fork lift incurs xtra cost,you did not get this bill cos most definitely the keys where lost btw parking lot and ship parking space.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Is Lifting A Car Up Good Because Of Bad Road / Which Is Better: Rav4, Crv, Highlander Or Pathfinder / Driver Rams Into Bus Stop In Lagos. See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.