Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,893 members, 7,817,627 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. (70181 Views)

The Real Reason Yoruba Wants Its Independence / It Doesn't Take Decades To Fight Corruption, Rwandan President Tells Buhari / How Did Nigeria Win Its Independence From Great Britain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by 0b100100111: 1:23pm On Jul 16, 2017
BankManager:
Good old days ...I still remember Kingsway...
#memories

Wow....!

You be close to your grave by now if you do know those places
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by pembisco(m): 1:24pm On Jul 16, 2017
Topics like this can only be from "Explorers"

Thumbs up

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by hanassholesolo: 1:24pm On Jul 16, 2017
Explorers:
Groundnut pyramid.

Groundnut pyramids were pyramid-like structures made from groundnut sacks.

The pyramids were built in northern Nigeriain cities such as Kano, where groundnut production was a key part of the economy.

They were viewed as both a tourist attraction and a symbol of wealth.

One groundnut pyramid could be made from as much as 15,000 full groundnut bags.

In the 1960s and 70s, as production in Nigeria shifted from agriculture to oil, the groundnut pyramids disappeared.

Recently, the Nigerian government has made efforts to revive the groundnut industry and rebuild the pyramids.

Wiki

We built better Pyramid than the Egyptians. Feels good
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by YelloweWest: 1:24pm On Jul 16, 2017
Funjosh:
Where did we lost it
The
When the curse called oil was discovered cry

5 Likes

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jul 16, 2017
idu1:
RIP Nigeria embarassed

I hope you meant Remain In Power

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by otijah(m): 1:25pm On Jul 16, 2017
greatgod2012:
Always looking forward to explorer's threads!

Very insightful!

Maybe we shouldn't have gotten independence when we did!
ur love for explorers thread

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by YelloweWest: 1:26pm On Jul 16, 2017
0b100100111:

Wow....!

You be close to your grave by now if you do know those places
You may die before him angry

7 Likes

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Danelo(m): 1:27pm On Jul 16, 2017
During those times there were no
Militants
Boko haram
Badoo et al

And those that steal only steal coins

Chaii!!! See that pic of hold up in Lagos island it looks sexy but check it now.

Sense and patience fall on Nigerians o

2 Likes

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by YelloweWest: 1:27pm On Jul 16, 2017
BankManager:
Good old days ...I still remember Kingsway...
#memories
Wow! You saw these things...

What was the country like back then? Are we better today or worse generally?
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jul 16, 2017
May God destroy & curse all those people responsible for destroying Nigeria & bringing it to dis miserably STATE. May them and thier unborn generation Never enjoy the wealth they steal from this country.

Fuvck Naija leaders who have no sense of patriotism & leadersship.

infact dis thing don vex

3 Likes

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by jiangchu: 1:28pm On Jul 16, 2017
Explorers:
Lagos Island.

We were so orderly.

before the Ibos troop in grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Remii(m): 1:30pm On Jul 16, 2017
Explorers:
A man looks through what appears to be a camera or surveying equipment on a tripod.

not a camera, a theodolite, a survey equipment.

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by jiangchu: 1:31pm On Jul 16, 2017
Funjosh:
Where did we lost it

ask naptu2
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Sagay212: 1:31pm On Jul 16, 2017
kodded:
when we gained independence sad

sadly Nigeria was never ready for independence , as you can see today millions of Nigerians if not everybody in Nigeria will take any opportunity they see to run to england (our colonial masters that we wanted to get free from) even our president prefer england to Nigeria

..so I ask myself again are we independent ?

We don't deserve to be independent and we won't be independent is many years to come. The white men left too early. If only they had waited and helped us or forcedus to do things right, at least we would have steady power supply, good roads and good health care by now. We still hardly do anything reasonable without the help of the whites. It's not just a Nigerian problem but the entire Africa. South Africa is better because they still have many of the whites controlling their economy. We nor get sense for Nigeria, it is not an insult but the plain truth. E be like say na another God create oyibo people because i cannot understand how they have to be the ones inventing everything and doing everything for us. Even when they do things for us and leave us to maintain it, we still destroy it.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Temidayo9(m): 1:32pm On Jul 16, 2017
Explorers:
Two donkeys are pictured loaded up with a rather hefty load of crates.
Not crates , but Empty 20ltrs iron vegetable oil gallons

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by kay9(m): 1:33pm On Jul 16, 2017
Omoluabi16:
This just makes me feel sad. Nigeria was so serene..so beautiful. we had so much promise, and at that pace could have been a 1st world country today. Herbert Macaulay would turn in his grave. The whites left, and within 3 years we bleeped it up.

Explorers you're a blessing to nairaland. I doff my hat.

My very same thoughts. The pics of the groundnut pyramids and those oh-so-orderly rows of cars, buses, cyclists and pedestrians... Just heartbreaking.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jul 16, 2017
Ishilove:

Creativity. These days, a majority of them are indoors browsing Nairaland and Twitter, commenting feckery.

Better them, than those forming cults or those annoying peeps who when people are hanging out they keep pressing them phone

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by madridguy(m): 1:34pm On Jul 16, 2017
Thread like this make someone to think what exactly is our problem. What a coordinated society back then.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Remii(m): 1:34pm On Jul 16, 2017
Explorers:
Two donkeys are pictured loaded up with a rather hefty load of crates.

those are empty cans for vegetable oil shouldn't be heavy, animals are not machine, once overloaded, they reject the load either stop moving or throw the load down.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by jiangchu: 1:35pm On Jul 16, 2017
greatgod2012:
Always looking forward to explorer's threads!

Very insightful!

Maybe we shouldn't have gotten independence when we did!

it was Ojukwu that set us back. he should have been more diplomatic with his struggle like mandela.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Awoofawo(m): 1:39pm On Jul 16, 2017
Explorers:
Yoruba ladies in Aso Ebi.
AWON mummy niyen..... dem rock and dey ground solidsolid.

If you can beat us, don't jealous us....awa o se egbe awon somebody!

The somebody will quote me............

3 Likes

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Atigba: 1:40pm On Jul 16, 2017
Explorers:
Before Shoprite, we had Kingsway.

Now I understand why my mum always mention this word ''kingsway"

If she want to buy something and the saler says as an example this yam is 500 naira last price

she will then say na Kingsway grin

5 Likes

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by emmanuelpopson(m): 1:40pm On Jul 16, 2017
kumulus:
Only fools would say the Nigerian project is a failed one...She reached greatness in her prime and our gullible and greedy (Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo and other tribes) folks fücked her real bad. It's such a shame....now they want to use the blood of the younger generation to cleanse the land. I still don't know how some people don't see there's no gain in violence for those involved but mass (masses) destruction...

AFRICA unite.....God Bless Nigeria!!!!

where did we get it wrong?? that is the question we should ask ourselves.. the military really destroy our common wealth..we should have been the greatest country in Africa now...what we need to do now is to change our orientation and stop looking at the past.. focus more on the future and hold ourselves accountable if we toil the same path our fathers follow...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by gurunlocker: 1:42pm On Jul 16, 2017
All these were before oil was discovered... Are we going to say oil is a curse to Nigeria? or some people are just holding Nigeria at stake?
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 16, 2017
Ishilove:

Nowadays, if half their brezz doesn't show then they haven't slayed.
Quite sad undecided
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by GeneralOjukwu: 1:45pm On Jul 16, 2017
Mr Explorers. ...

You are my favourite Nairalander apart from my harem of ladies of course grin

Keep it up, I enjoy your posts. We have similar interests. .. I enjoy reading Daily Mail too

2 Likes

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by wristbangle: 1:46pm On Jul 16, 2017
cry cry cry cry

I don't know when tears dropped from my eyes when sighting these pictures
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by JikanBaura(m): 1:47pm On Jul 16, 2017
cry Everything was normal cry until some group decide to take coup to destroyed and killed the only Faithful leaders we had. Now they want another country . we will make sure you lost Every wealth in life to have that country you want. stewpigs Biafrats

4 Likes

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by sammiepraise(m): 1:47pm On Jul 16, 2017
from 1960 till now it has been all wrong.
you cant give a baby a car to drive that was what happend to Nigeria. we got independence way too early.

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by netflicks(m): 1:48pm On Jul 16, 2017
Op..What about our currency? The 25 kobo, 50 kobo and 1 naira coin? cry
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jul 16, 2017
gurunlocker:
All these were before oil was discovered... Are we going to say oil is a curse to Nigeria? or some people are just holding Nigeria at stake?

Oil is really a curse to Nigeria.
I'm heartbroken just looking at this pictures sad
Can we ever have a Nigeria like this again? sad
I won't lie tears are forming in my eyes. *exits thread*
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by wristbangle: 1:48pm On Jul 16, 2017
Remii:

those are empty cans for vegetable oil shouldn't be heavy, animals are not machine, once overloaded, they reject the load either stop moving or throw the load down.

Sure and when they get tired along the way despite how little the load maybe, they stop.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Osita Chidoka: Atiku's Likely Running Mate. / Abacha's Daughter Lash-Out At Wole Soyinka On Twitter / All The Political Gladiators In Lagos Closing Ranks In Bourdillon (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.