Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,023 members, 7,814,501 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? (14295 Views)

Zainab Ahmed: We Have Identified Plans To Generate ₦18 Trillion Revenue / Amotekun: Lagos, Osun, Ekiti Recruit 1,320 Militiamen. "They Can Use Guns" / Obiano Tours First Ultra Modern 24/7 Filling Station In Anambra (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by EVarn(m): 4:20pm On Aug 06, 2017
[quote auathor=9jii post=59205836]
But the nature doesn’t care who is developed or not, if we contribute to ruin our environment the cost will be much more. Especially on us without any backup plan.
Instead of we wait until they perfect the technology of clean energy and make it ready made cheap for us.it's better if we join the developmental stage and in the future it ll be less complicated to us.
We all like it easy and cheap that's weaknesses
[/quote]If it takes 50 years to perfect clean energy and make it cheap,then should we spend 50 years waiting in "developmental stage",while developed nations who spurred their industrial revolution using coal continue to advance industrially?.Why dont we start our own industrial revolution using "dirty energy",until we become advanced enough to afford cleaner energy?.
I dont care if nature cannot differentiate between developed and developing countries,anybody that is so concerned should start planting trees.We need cheap energy for rapid industrialization.

8 Likes

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Bacon21(m): 4:28pm On Aug 06, 2017

1 Like

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Desyner: 4:33pm On Aug 06, 2017
Lukgaf:
Great Nairalanders,

The issue of Electricity in this blessed country has been my great concerns especially in the area I found myself. Even, they hardly give 30 minutes power in some places and it is not an overstatement that many places have Electricity only when they (NEPA or PHCN or Distribution Companies or what is their name called) want to distribute Electricity bills. This is annoying a times.

I called a Master in China who said he has experienced uninterrupted power supply since he got there since 3 months ago.

So do you think Nigeria can be like those countries in terms of electricity and what measures do you think we can use?

cc:

lalasticlala, mynd44
if industrial estates (clusters of industries) are priotized above residential areas, then it is better.

3 Likes

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Bacon21(m): 4:34pm On Aug 06, 2017
mikolo80:
yet USA producer 60 % of their electricity from coal.

The US gets 30.4% of its energy from coal.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Bacon21(m): 4:37pm On Aug 06, 2017
slimthugchimee:

40% of America's power is coal

China 70%

30.4% of America's power is coal.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by omohayek: 4:49pm On Aug 06, 2017
If only Nairalanders put 10% as much energy into discussing topics like this as they devote to online tribal wars that do nothing to better their lives in any way! Anyway, my own 2 kobo:

1. Lift the existing restrictions on how large min-grids can be, from the current 1MW to something like 50MW.
2. Allow new operators into the distribution and transmission business, and give them the freedom to sign up customers who are willing to pay whatever price they demand for 99.9% reliable power, even if it means paying for new transmission cables.
3. Give these new operators the leeway to target only business and industrial users if they wish, as well as the freedom to renegotiate their contracts whenever and to whatever they and their customers agree to.
4. Allow retail customers to buy their own meters if need be, and allow a neutral 3rd party to verify that the meters are functioning correctly. Force the DISCOs to write off the cost of any customer-purchased meters against outstanding charges, to incentivize the DISCOs to be more proactive in providing such equipment.
5. To ease the financial difficulties of the DISCOs, allow them to sign price-discriminatory agreements with customers; the most price-sensitive customers can keep the current tariffs, with the understanding that this means they might only get current levels of erratic power supply, while customers willing to pay more will in turn be guaranteed a certain minimum supply per day/week/month (e.g. pay 2x more for 20 hours/day guaranteed, pay 3x more for 23 hours/day, etc.)
6. As others have already mentioned, give permission to retail and business customers to sell back to their DISCOs any excess energy they generate from solar power or other such renewable sources.
7. Incentivize property developers to also build out transmission infrastructure by giving them write-offs for doing so, especially when they lay the cables underground, and allowing them to rent/sell capacity in any underground fiber-optic cables they lay alongside transmission wires. They should even be allowed to get into the cable and high-speed internet business if they desire.

The general idea motivating all my suggestions is simple: above all else, even generating capacity, what Nigeria needs is heavy capital investment in transmission, and that will only happen if the economics are right, which means giving operators freedom to charge what the market will bear, while allowing the threat of competition to drive their prices downwards.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by slimthugchimee(m): 4:57pm On Aug 06, 2017
Bacon21:

30.4% of America's power is coal.

What's the difference, is it a must that I must get the accurate figures
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by slimthugchimee(m): 5:00pm On Aug 06, 2017
EVarn:
If it takes 50 years to perfect clean energy and make it cheap,then should we spend 50 years waiting in "developmental stage",while developed nations who spurred their industrial revolution using coal continue to advance industrially?.Why dont we start our own industrial revolution using "dirty energy",until we become advanced enough to afford cleaner energy?.
I dont care if nature cannot differentiate between developed and developing countries,anybody that is so concerned should start planting trees.We need cheap energy for rapid industrialization.

Yes nature doesn't care, but 3rd world countries has been the ones suffering the problems the worse since the developed nations use the resources to reduce natural damages

If they want to let the 3rd world use something they can't afford, they should do the same .

Change begins with us
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by iaatmguy(m): 6:00pm On Aug 06, 2017
slimthugchimee:

It costs a whole lot for that........

Coal plant is the way, but our efforts with that is being frustrated by america
by France you mean.
Even Americans (trump) pulled out of the Paris treaty for clean energy
Americans still use coal as source of energy
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by olusledge: 6:07pm On Aug 06, 2017
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by slimthugchimee(m): 6:07pm On Aug 06, 2017
iaatmguy:
by France you mean.
Even Americans (trump) pulled out of the Paris treaty for clean energy
Americans still use coal as source of energy

Previous administration of Obama
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by ITbomb(m): 6:08pm On Aug 06, 2017
Decentralize power generation and transmission to start with
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by ivolt: 6:08pm On Aug 06, 2017
9jii:
Solar is the way.but should be a gradual process.
In the near future it ll be the cheapest source.
The world is going green

Solar is costly in installation and maintenance and Nigeria
doesn't have such money.

I am not aware of any developed country whose major power source is
solar probably due to the prohibitive costs.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Aug 06, 2017
Recover all looted funds and invest same in power generation and distribution.

1 Like

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by dignity33: 6:09pm On Aug 06, 2017
The question I want to ask those who are saying that jobless people is Nnamdi Kanu followers are?

Did You expect the rich or Government officials who are benefiting in this fraudulent marriage called Nigeria to be happy that someone is rising up to deprive them that?

Where in the world that people who are favoured from a fraudulent system of Government rise against that Government?

Never in the world of uprising that are not the poor masses and jobless that are major follower so stop calling NK follower Jobless because is inability of the Government to tackle the need of his people that created huge jobless that made NK popular. Instead Government should be ashamed of themselves because they have failed woeful to masses.

Is only in a country like Nigeria where a poor masses like you and me will join those Government corrupt individuals to call NK miscreant and follower jobless instead of rising up with him and fight this few individuals who've held this country captive, we should cease this very opportunity NK created for Revolution in Nigeria.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by osscarr(m): 6:09pm On Aug 06, 2017
Ask fashola
The rocket science Engr
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by olusledge: 6:09pm On Aug 06, 2017
9jii:
The world is going green
considere the amount of land that would be wasted

2 Likes

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Fearlez: 6:09pm On Aug 06, 2017
Lukgaf:
Great Nairalanders,

The issue of Electricity in this blessed country has been my great concerns especially in the area I found myself. Even, they hardly give 30 minutes power in some places and it is not an overstatement that many places have Electricity only when they (NEPA or PHCN or Distribution Companies or what is their name called) want to distribute Electricity bills. This is annoying a times.

I called a Master in China who said he has experienced uninterrupted power supply since he got there since 3 months ago.

So do you think Nigeria can be like those countries in terms of electricity and what measures do you think we can use?

c

only a nuclear generated power like the one currently being negotiated with Russia can actualise steady power in Nigeria.

The hydroelectric technology like shiroro and kainji dam's are completely unreliable and insufficient for a population of 180 million people.

1 Like

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by BigBrother9ja: 6:10pm On Aug 06, 2017
9jii:
The world is going green
Solar has NEVER BEEN EFFICIENT...
Solar does not work on it's own, cells are needed. That is the problem...
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Aug 06, 2017
Micro-grids on a communal level are the only way...

Windfarms in the windy parts of the country. Solar and hydroelectric dams in the northern parts.

1 Like

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Aug 06, 2017
Ekinematics:
Let states provide their own electricity.
Delete this national grid nonsense.

Gbam. Nothing more to add.
BigBrother9ja:

Solar has NEVER BEEN EFFICIENT...

Read up about Tesla Energy and Solarcity
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by mmsen: 6:12pm On Aug 06, 2017
Some states already produce enough to do so.

The problem is they are required to feed the power back into the highly inefficient national grid which is the same thing as pouring it down the toilet.

Much like everything else in Nigeria the most productive states/regions are held back by the most useless - thank you Katsina. Thank you Sokoto. Thank you Borno.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Segadem(m): 6:12pm On Aug 06, 2017
I will love to contribute to this topic but we no get light and my phone battery is down cool
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by bayulll011(m): 6:13pm On Aug 06, 2017
Lukgaf:
Great Nairalanders,

c

The only issues i have with the yorubas is we don't like ourselves.

Sorry am tribalising the issues,the only way we can av stable electricity is to make the centre un attractive.

Let each region manage the resources they have.
Let them generate and man their resources.
70perccent body of lagos is hydrosphere and one incompetent governor saying he can generate 30,000 mega watt,when I know there is something they called hydro power.

He keeps building and calling international investors to clean his the street.

He is weak and all he had in his mind is 2019.

Someone should tell him lagos is filthy and okada and danfo drivers are a menace to us.

He recruited lasma recently where are they now,i miss fashola in lagos not the one in abuja now

1 Like

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by udees: 6:13pm On Aug 06, 2017
For your information -Fashola has never built any IPP before quote me anytime-the ipp in lagos are all built and own by private company--stop writing nonsense---Fashola is in the seat of Power now--Can you mention any power plant he has builts in two years--all power plant in the country now was built by the previous administration--most completed but not link to the grid while others are in various stage of construction.
thirty:

You speak my mind 100%.

There is no State that doesn't have resources to provide 24 hours uninterrupted power supply in Nigeria.

South West with water.
Niger deltians with oil, gas and water
North with wind and Kanji dam
East with coal and water.
Lagos with waste disposal. Etc

Fashola's IPP is still working in Lagos
Turbine engine with gas is working in Omoku in river state.

We will be FREE soon.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by KinzyeWriter(m): 6:14pm On Aug 06, 2017
Human Poo Only grin

1 Like

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by iamtardey: 6:14pm On Aug 06, 2017
get a gen and fuel it 24/7 #simple

1 Like

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by BigBrother9ja: 6:15pm On Aug 06, 2017
9jii:

Yes we should not be contributing in polluting the world. Forget coal
Keep deceiving yourselves.
This pollutants being emitted from London alone is way more than what Nigeria, Benin Republic, togo and Ghana emits.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by UnknownT: 6:15pm On Aug 06, 2017
One solution is to stop the central transmission we are running. Let every zone generate,transmit and distribute within them. The same way quota system is destroying our development, that's how this central transmission is hampering our light
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 6:17pm On Aug 06, 2017
The problem is not power; the problem is those in power.
Change the government and see how fast power improves.
Look behind the veil at the owners of the power companies - many are importers of generating sets and fuel. Otedola, Abdulsallam, Elumelu. Now, do you think they will willingly sabotage their fuel and generator businesses ? A serious government can provide stable power for Nigerians in less than 4 years. No government is yet willing to do so.
The problem is power not power supply

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Delta Women Shut Ughelli-asaba Road Over Herdsmen Attacks - Pictures / APC Convention: Governors Split, May Revolt Against Buni Committee / Boko Haram Still Controls 3 LGAs In Nigeria - UN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.