Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,884 members, 7,813,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:55 PM

What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? (14279 Views)

Zainab Ahmed: We Have Identified Plans To Generate ₦18 Trillion Revenue / Amotekun: Lagos, Osun, Ekiti Recruit 1,320 Militiamen. "They Can Use Guns" / Obiano Tours First Ultra Modern 24/7 Filling Station In Anambra (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by 9jii(m): 3:25pm On Aug 07, 2017
adetayo234:

You mean state government should give money in this our feeding bottle economy?
You must be working with State gov.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by adetayo234: 3:28pm On Aug 07, 2017
9jii:

You must be working with State gov.

Not at all. I'm just pitying them.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by 9jii(m): 3:30pm On Aug 07, 2017
adetayo234:

Not at all. I'm just pitying them.
OK
Bcoz that's what they ll say anytime a responsibility is put on them.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 07, 2017
hanging all APC members by their ball( kwada)
sorry na joke I de joke.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Aug 07, 2017
9jii:

But change is coming fast, we can't afford to miss the opportunity of joining this development like we did b4

We could join the fossil fuel era n u think we will be able to join the clean energy era. Stories.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by xelly: 6:42pm On Aug 07, 2017
Lukgaf:
Great Nairalanders,

The issue of Electricity in this blessed country has been my great concerns especially in the area I found myself. Even, they hardly give 30 minutes power in some places and it is not an overstatement that many places have Electricity only when they (NEPA or PHCN or Distribution Companies or what is their name called) want to distribute Electricity bills. This is annoying a times.

I called a Master in China who said he has experienced uninterrupted power supply since he got there since 3 months ago.

So do you think Nigeria can be like those countries in terms of electricity and what measures do you think we can use?

c

For which country? NIGERIA? FORGEEEEET IT
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by mikolo80: 1:43am On Aug 08, 2017
adetayo234:

Is it that you are confused or you didn't even understand my comment? I can't see correlation between my comment and your supposed line of argument. You said western education is the way and I said western education is not enough. So, is this latest comment of yours opposing my view or buttressing it.
i said you're nitpicking. Education doesn't necessarily mean western but it seems you more interested in winning argument than Nigeria's development so whatever you say, you're correct. I won't argue
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by adetayo234: 1:59am On Aug 08, 2017
mikolo80:
i said you're nitpicking. Education doesn't necessarily mean western but it seems you more interested in winning argument than Nigeria's development so whatever you say, you're correct. I won't argue

I remember asking you if you were referring to western education. And I remember you replying that "if it is not western education, is it eastern education?" Even a brainless fool will understand the import of that response; it means you were referring to western education. So why are you now saying something else? Did you just recover from your confusion or you are still in the realm of confusion? And kindly stop playing the victim here.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by mikolo80: 2:11am On Aug 08, 2017
adetayo234:

I remember asking you if you were referring to western education. And I remember you replying that "if it is not western education, is it eastern education?" Even a brainless fool will understand the import of that response; it means you were referring to western education. So why are you now saying something else? Did you just recover from your confusion or you are still in the realm of confusion? And kindly stop playing the victim here.
Bros
You won
Shebi I'm brainless
Why e come pain you. Na wa o.
And i no even think you work insulting back.
Guess this what it feels like to be the bigger man.
Feels good boy to be worried about winning e fights.
Think I'll continue.
How you've received your crown, belt or cash prize or whatever it is you get for winning insult
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by adetayo234: 2:14am On Aug 08, 2017
mikolo80:
Bros
You won
Shebi I'm brainless
Why e come pain you. Na wa o.
And i no even think you work insulting back.
Guess this what it feels like to be the bigger man.
Feels good boy to be worried about winning e fights.
Think I'll continue.
How you've received your crown, belt or cash prize or whatever it is you get for winning insult

It is not by wining or losing. It is by you opposing and supporting a comment at the same time as if you don't know what you are doing.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by BigShazam: 4:04am On Aug 08, 2017
Kick out any minister of power that does not perform after 3months.
Lukgaf:
Great Nairalanders,

The issue of Electricity in this blessed country has been my great concerns especially in the area I found myself. Even, they hardly give 30 minutes power in some places and it is not an overstatement that many places have Electricity only when they (NEPA or PHCN or Distribution Companies or what is their name called) want to distribute Electricity bills. This is annoying a times.

I called a Master in China who said he has experienced uninterrupted power supply since he got there since 3 months ago.

So do you think Nigeria can be like those countries in terms of electricity and what measures do you think we can use?

c

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by mastro: 7:07am On Aug 08, 2017
omohayek:
If only Nairalanders put 10% as much energy into discussing topics like this as they devote to online tribal wars that do nothing to better their lives in any way! Anyway, my own 2 kobo:

1. Lift the existing restrictions on how large min-grids can be, from the current 1MW to something like 50MW.
2. Allow new operators into the distribution and transmission business, and give them the freedom to sign up customers who are willing to pay whatever price they demand for 99.9% reliable power, even if it means paying for new transmission cables.
3. Give these new operators the leeway to target only business and industrial users if they wish, as well as the freedom to renegotiate their contracts whenever and to whatever they and their customers agree to.
4. Allow retail customers to buy their own meters if need be, and allow a neutral 3rd party to verify that the meters are functioning correctly. Force the DISCOs to write off the cost of any customer-purchased meters against outstanding charges, to incentivize the DISCOs to be more proactive in providing such equipment.
5. To ease the financial difficulties of the DISCOs, allow them to sign price-discriminatory agreements with customers; the most price-sensitive customers can keep the current tariffs, with the understanding that this means they might only get current levels of erratic power supply, while customers willing to pay more will in turn be guaranteed a certain minimum supply per day/week/month (e.g. pay 2x more for 20 hours/day guaranteed, pay 3x more for 23 hours/day, etc.)
6. As others have already mentioned, give permission to retail and business customers to sell back to their DISCOs any excess energy they generate from solar power or other such renewable sources.
7. Incentivize property developers to also build out transmission infrastructure by giving them write-offs for doing so, especially when they lay the cables underground, and allowing them to rent/sell capacity in any underground fiber-optic cables they lay alongside transmission wires. They should even be allowed to get into the cable and high-speed internet business if they desire.

The general idea motivating all my suggestions is simple: above all else, even generating capacity, what Nigeria needs is heavy capital investment in transmission, and that will only happen if the economics are right, which means giving operators freedom to charge what the market will bear, while allowing the threat of competition to drive their prices downwards.

This, the main advantage in our society of Microgrids is that the capital investment is relatively small, rather than a single N100billion power generation project financed by Govt, that will take years to come onliine, is reliant on National Grid and Discos to get to the end user and finally might even fail, surely it makes more sense to have 100 N1billon end-to-end projects sponsored by a variety of Govt, commercial and NGO's, yes it means that initially projects will be aimed at the "rich" but over time power generation will become like mobile phones and benefit everyone.

There is profit in supplying power sometimes all govt need do is recognise a fact and leave it to the market.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by mastro: 7:12am On Aug 08, 2017
For those claiming solar is too expensive:

It's cheaper than diesel & petrol generators & which are the reality for most of us in Nigeria who need 24/7 power.

Also better than staying in darkness which is the the reality for most of our population.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by mikolo80: 9:39am On Aug 08, 2017
adetayo234:

It is not by wining or losing. It is by you opposing and supporting a comment at the same time as if you don't know what you are doing.
you Don win o you don win
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Lukgaf(m): 3:52pm On Aug 08, 2017
[quote author=stanvesco post=59222100][/quote]
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by BLINGZ88: 5:46am On Aug 09, 2017
Bacon21:

Can you explain the unpredictability of solar and wind?
when using sold and wind turbine, they has to be a smart grid connected to a gas turbine that will pick up the load when the sun suddenly reduce in intensity though to an over cast of cloud, same with wind turbine, the speed of the wind might pick up or slow down unexpectedly and this harms the power grid and even your home appliances. there is a solution to this problem but it requires nigeria to invest so much more in transmission that it makes the cheap solar not so cheap anymore. about BASE LOAD, this is the minimal amount of power needed for a country to function normally, for simplicity, let's just say that it is the amount of power used at night when all the major companies and firms have shut down, where only the residential areas are using the power. solar can't provide the power at night, and wind still has the limitation of picking up speed and losing down uncontrollably. with coal (or nuclear) the above problems do not occur because one can simple regulate the amount of power coming out from the power plant at any given time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Peter Obi’s Eid Message To Nigerian Muslims. / A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! / Nigerian Military To Ekweremadu: We Have No Interest In Coup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.