Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,913 members, 7,814,080 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:00 AM

What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? (14284 Views)

Zainab Ahmed: We Have Identified Plans To Generate ₦18 Trillion Revenue / Amotekun: Lagos, Osun, Ekiti Recruit 1,320 Militiamen. "They Can Use Guns" / Obiano Tours First Ultra Modern 24/7 Filling Station In Anambra (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by bayulll011(m): 6:19pm On Aug 06, 2017
Fearlez:
only the a nuclear generated power like the one currently being negotiated with Russia can actualise steady power in Nigeria.

The hydroelectric technology like shiroro and kainji dam's are completely unreliable and insufficient for a population of 180 million people.

Your leaders are incompetent and un intelligent give China 1Billion dollar they will build you a nuclear plant that can easily be shut down and neutralise by water.

This can be built in osun,or lagos with zero tolerance,Nigeria is the only country in the world that will leave the primary and face the secondary.

Even God cannot work in darkness that's why he created light first

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by adegeye38(m): 6:20pm On Aug 06, 2017
Lukgaf:
Great Nairalanders,

The issue of Electricity in this blessed country has been my great concerns especially in the area I found myself. Even, they hardly give 30 minutes power in some places and it is not an overstatement that many places have Electricity only when they (NEPA or PHCN or Distribution Companies or what is their name called) want to distribute Electricity bills. This is annoying a times.

I called a Master in China who said he has experienced uninterrupted power supply since he got there since 3 months ago.

So do you think Nigeria can be like those countries in terms of electricity and what measures do you think we can use?

c

Take away corruption and everything comes together

to have 24/7 light we need about 15000 mw

and we are currently generating less than 4000mw which is pathetic

If not for corruption, we would have over 50000 mw by now

de centralize the national grid

concentrate on renewable enrgy, like wind and solar

Add coal or hydro too
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by BigBrother9ja: 6:21pm On Aug 06, 2017
ruffhandu:
All you talking of money, if you know how much obasanjo wasted, you will open your mouth and leave it open. Not to mention the one Yaradua and Jonathan added.

Corruption and foolishness/greed has reduced Nigeria to nothing.

I don't know what happened to the money obasanjo voted, but I think they did it like most fg runs, shared it amongst themselves.

I remember when the minister under jona, Nebo, complained of vandalism. The vandals were just doing it mindlessly. I didn't see any gain in it for them, and that made me think they have sponsors: who are either political opositions who just want the govt to fail; or businessmen who want to sell their wares.

My suggestion:
Let what happened in telecommunications industry happen in power sector. Licence small operators and encourage them.
If a small company generates and distributes power to a cluster, he'll be consistent.
Many of such will light up Nigeria. And since there lines do not travel through long lonely distance, the case of vandalism will be curtailed.

Note: Each company can use any preferred means to generate their power.

A case:
Coca-Cola ph generates it's power, with.gas supplied by one of the oil companies. They hace steady power supply, they couldn't afford to lose few seconds of outage. Phed approached to sell some power to phed so phed will in turn sell to the public. I don't know how that panned out.

Politicians are one of our greatest problems, followed by other Nigerians.
God bless you.

That senile old fool rogue squandered about
SIXTEEN BILLION DOLLARS!
WOE BETIDE HIM

2 Likes

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by RaptorX: 6:24pm On Aug 06, 2017
Generate your own power and stop waiting for Nigeria to experience uninterrupted power supply because it will never happen in your lifetime.

1 Like

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Drversatile: 6:26pm On Aug 06, 2017
Meter every user and you will see 24hrs power supply. It's that simple.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by jfleece(m): 6:30pm On Aug 06, 2017
Yea we can if we practice true federalism.. All states should be autonomous..
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by adetayo234: 6:32pm On Aug 06, 2017
Biggty:
24hours uninterrupted power supply can never happen in this country.

Not everyone can afford solar

It will happen. Mark my words
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 06, 2017
There are many ways, Nigeria is so blessed, it's just a matter making a sincere commitment and getting the right energy mix, we have abundance of gas here, gas-to-power is an efficient way to generate power, much so for a country that has the gas in abundance, plenty of scorching sun in the north too, even though solar is capital intensive, we can still get a lot of megawatts out of it, there are also suitable sites to locate damns, a good synergy between these three sources and we'd have enough power and even reserve capacity!
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by CocoaOla: 6:32pm On Aug 06, 2017
we allow clueless thieves to buy the power sector instead of selling it to expert like General Electric and Siemens
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by adetayo234: 6:33pm On Aug 06, 2017
9jii:

I don't know why federal government can't give money.
But Why the State government can't give money too?
And all sources of power required money and knowledge of maintenance.

You mean state government should give money in this our feeding bottle economy?
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by adetayo234: 6:34pm On Aug 06, 2017
slimthugchimee:

It costs a whole lot for that........

Coal plant is the way, but our efforts with that is being frustrated by america and the paris climate change agreement

Coal is a dirty source
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Aug 06, 2017
Biggty:
24hours uninterrupted power supply can never happen in this country.

Not everyone can afford solar
But we can have a solar field (like a local government dedicated for solar generation) for everyone.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Aug 06, 2017
The only solution is to go the British way. Let's break down this power generation to various means like

Solar
(10% of all our local governments should be dedicated solely as Solar fields for power generation)

Windmill

Hydro

Coal

Etc...

Just use anything that can generate light and get this country lighted up.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Fearlez: 6:41pm On Aug 06, 2017
bayulll011:

Your leaders are incompetent and un intelligent give China 1Billion dollar they will build you a nuclear plant that can easily be shut down and neutralise by water.

This can be built in osun,or lagos with zero tolerance,Nigeria is the only country in the world that will leave the primary and face the secondary.

Even God cannot work in darkness that's why he created light first
too bad! It takes little to be a heroic President in Nigeria.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by umuna(m): 6:45pm On Aug 06, 2017
thirty:

You speak my mind 100%.

There is no State that doesn't have resources to provide 24 hours uninterrupted power supply in Nigeria.

South West with water.
Niger deltians with oil, gas and water
North with wind and Kanji dam
East with coal and water.
Lagos with waste disposal. Etc

Fashola's IPP is still working in Lagos
Turbine engine with gas is working in Omoku in river state. The North also have alot of sun for solar power

We will be FREE soon.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by dane15: 6:46pm On Aug 06, 2017
Seun, lalasticlala, Mynd44 God bless you for moving this topic to the front page.
These are the topics we need to improve Nigeria when youths rub mind on solutions rather than throwing racist banters and political shades.
We are the think thank of this nation. Let's not let politicians use us for their interest and share 1 loaf of Bread with NGN200 note as sandwich to us in exchange for our future. Yet some will come here abusing Jonathan and Buhari. Mstccchew!

I agree with some earlier speakers:
Before we collapse the national grid, let us make a backup plan.
I suggest reverting to a Regional Grid first. Lagos can take on the project for Southwest, Rivers/Akwa Ibom for South South, Enugu for South East, States with high wind velocity in the North can also take care of their region first, while excess power supply can then be contributed to the grid.
The State taking on the project for a Region will be the operator and recharge the costs back to the other states making up the region.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by savagefinder: 6:48pm On Aug 06, 2017
dignity33:
The question I want to ask those who are saying that jobless people is Nnamdi Kanu followers are?

Did You expect the rich or Government officials who are benefiting in this fraudulent marriage called Nigeria to be happy that someone is rising up to deprive them that?

Where in the world that people who are favoured from a fraudulent system of Government rise against that Government?

Never in the world of uprising that are not the poor masses and jobless that are major follower so stop calling NK follower Jobless because is inability of the Government to tackle the need of his people that created huge jobless that made NK popular. Instead Government should be ashamed of themselves because they have failed woeful to masses.

Is only in a country like Nigeria where a poor masses like you and me will join those Government corrupt individuals to call NK miscreant and follower jobless instead of rising up with him and fight this few individuals who've held this country captive, we should cease this very opportunity NK created for Revolution in Nigeria.
this is an intellectual discussion not a place for tribal banters. Meanwhile, if you should have your biafra, how will you attain 24/7 power supply?

1 Like

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by engrmobs(m): 6:54pm On Aug 06, 2017
we can only if we set our mind positively to Wat we want to achieve......fortunately it happened dat I served and did my PPA in a power generating station (name withheld) and its related to my course of study so wit wat am saying i have a fact to wat am saying and i served at d time it has already been privatized by d govt and it was a total backwardness cos d aim of d privatization was not Dier.........Dier have not been any upgrade of equipments dats d turbines cos dey are d main tins required to increase d output of any station...........now since its nw a problem and a solution is been sought for on d ways to improve d power sector here is my advice:

1)building of wind energy electricity generators:dis are less expensive and is more productive Dan hydro generators cos air Is always Dier..mind u dat d reason y we have less power is wen d water is drying up during dry season and d hydro station shut down some of Dier turbines and run some so as not to b out of business dis is y Dey tend to b little or no light during dat season.
2)building of solar energy;dis is also less expensive Dan hydro and possess no threat to our environment in terms of emission.d sun is free and u dnt nerd to buy d sun to generate......
Currently Nigeria generates its electricity wit only two types of energy generation : hydro (water) wich can dry up in dry season and (2) thermal energy (gas) Wich I'd very expensive to supply frm d oil companies. dis pipes dat leads to d thermal plants sometimes get vandalized by d militants.............am tired of typing.let govt look into d two tins I listed above and diversify........Nigerian govt can neva go into wier dey will not like to spend......air and sun needs no expenses.......water too but has its own backlog but sun and air remains d best solution for us.

1 Like

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by adetayo234: 6:54pm On Aug 06, 2017
ruffhandu:
All you talking of money, if you know how much obasanjo wasted, you will open your mouth and leave it open. Not to mention the one Yaradua and Jonathan added.

I don't know what happened to the money obasanjo voted, but I think they did it like most fg runs, shared it amongst themselves.

I remember when the minister under jona, Nebo, complained of vandalism. The vandals were just doing it mindlessly. I didn't see any gain in it for them, and that made me think they have sponsors: who are either political opositions who just want the govt to fail; or businessmen who want to sell their wares.

My suggestion:
Let what happened in telecommunications industry happen in power sector. Licence small operators and encourage them.
If a small company generates and distributes power to a cluster, he'll be consistent.
Many of such will light up Nigeria. And since there lines do not travel through long lonely distance, the case of vandalism will be curtailed.

A case:
Coca-Cola ph generates it's power, with.gas supplied by one of the oil companies. They hace steady power supply, they couldn't afford to lose few seconds of outage. Phed approached to sell some power to phed so phed will in turn sell to the public. I don't know how that panned out.

Don't forget, bro, that those who bought distribution companies are politicians and their cronies. If they should agree with your idea, those who bought distribution companies won't make money again. They know the solution, but following the solution will negatively impact their selfish interests.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by gabe: 6:55pm On Aug 06, 2017
First, lets beg militants to stop bombing gas pipelines. With adequate gas supplies, we can get up to 6000MW+, enough to give us up to 10+ hours a day. The other problem is transmission. Our transmission lines can't handle more than 4000MW. All states shd as a matter of urgency, build new transmission networks in their domains in collaboration with TCN. When transmission and gas supply is fixed, increasing generating capacities is easy. Siemens can install a gas turbine that generates up to 44MW in just 2 weeks.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by tinz: 6:56pm On Aug 06, 2017
9jii:

Yes we should not be contributing in polluting the world. Forget coal

Oga what planet are u from.
Pls ask ur self what source of energy the world power used to develop their countries during industrial revolution
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by adetayo234: 7:00pm On Aug 06, 2017
mikolo80:
yet USA producer 60 % of their electricity from coal.

They are cutting it down gradually

1 Like

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by adetayo234: 7:02pm On Aug 06, 2017
mikolo80:
when educated ppl take part in politics

Hope you aren't referring to just western education?
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by higgs: 7:08pm On Aug 06, 2017
We need to do proper privatisation of that sector so that experienced international operators can come in with money and expertise.At the generation end,we should also look into nuclear energy.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by jstriker442(m): 7:09pm On Aug 06, 2017
9jii:

Yes we should not be contributing in polluting the world. Forget coal
pls google the major source of power those big countries with uninterrupted supply uses
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by kebliss(m): 7:11pm On Aug 06, 2017
Too many federal shit
National grid brouhaha
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Jagabanmonerry(m): 7:12pm On Aug 06, 2017
Ekinematics:
Let states provide their own electricity.
Delete this national grid nonsense.
You are so on point brother.... this is what I consider as d best option. every state shld give d opportunity to provide electricity for
herself.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Hexzagon: 7:13pm On Aug 06, 2017
The biggest stumbling block we face currently is the grid, for those suggesting selling a policy that'll allow individuals sell power back to the electricity companies should remember we don't have a smart grid... yet. For my, first thing we can do decentralise/restructure, or expand the grid, else we would forever keep hearing political statements from our politrickcians who obviously are oblivious of whats happening in the power sector. And also, policies should be put in place to encourage renewables.you wouldn't believe that Nigeria is signing the Paris agreement without a single renewable energy policy (I stand to be corrected).

1 Like

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Consray(f): 7:14pm On Aug 06, 2017
Ekinematics:
Let states provide their own electricity.
Delete this national grid nonsense.
you are right dear, just like in plateau, Jos. I don't think any state in Nigeria can beat that state when it comes to light issue they are just the best.......(Nasco company)
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by pat1612(m): 7:14pm On Aug 06, 2017
Will to do it
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by onavae(m): 7:18pm On Aug 06, 2017
The problem is not generation perse, but more of political. To provide constant power supply, first decentralise the grid. Scotland in UK is smaller than the south east region of Nigeria (which is our smallest region by land mass) and the population is even lesser. Sure there are heavy industries there but Scotland has 4 independent power grids! Why should big Nigeria be trying to force 25k MW on one grid? Isn't that madness?
Secondly, govt, whether federal or state have no business with power generation, transmission or distribution. This should be shared to private hands. We only need NERC to regulate the sector.
Finally, we as a people need to be less corrupt. Illegal connection, three phase connection, etc must be done away with. Discos must meter their customers and customers without meters must be cut off.
It is only after all these have been done that we can start talking about pricing, etc.

2 Likes

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Aug 06, 2017
ruffhandu:

My suggestion:

A case:

Your suggestion is good

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PDP To INEC Chair: Don’t Succumb To Pressure On Amina Zakari, Zamfara APC / Police Arrested Emir Of Abaji & His Sons For Aiding Kabiru Sokoto's Escape / Lagos Unveils Alternative Road For Lekki-epe Toll Plaza

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.