Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,932 members, 7,814,166 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? (14291 Views)

Zainab Ahmed: We Have Identified Plans To Generate ₦18 Trillion Revenue / Amotekun: Lagos, Osun, Ekiti Recruit 1,320 Militiamen. "They Can Use Guns" / Obiano Tours First Ultra Modern 24/7 Filling Station In Anambra (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Lukgaf(m): 7:25pm On Aug 06, 2017
pls let nairalanders sponsor my travelling to Aso rock so as to tell Osibanjo those measures
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by supereagle(m): 7:26pm On Aug 06, 2017
ruffhandu:
All you talking of money, if you know how much obasanjo wasted, you will open your mouth and leave it open. Not to mention the one Yaradua and Jonathan added.

Corruption and foolishness/greed has reduced Nigeria to nothing.

I don't know what happened to the money obasanjo voted, but I think they did it like most fg runs, shared it amongst themselves.

I remember when the minister under jona, Nebo, complained of vandalism. The vandals were just doing it mindlessly. I didn't see any gain in it for them, and that made me think they have sponsors: who are either political opositions who just want the govt to fail; or businessmen who want to sell their wares.

My suggestion:
Let what happened in telecommunications industry happen in power sector. Licence small operators and encourage them.
If a small company generates and distributes power to a cluster, he'll be consistent.
Many of such will light up Nigeria. And since there lines do not travel through long lonely distance, the case of vandalism will be curtailed.

Note: Each company can use any preferred means to generate their power.

A case:
Coca-Cola ph generates it's power, with.gas supplied by one of the oil companies. They hace steady power supply, they couldn't afford to lose few seconds of outage. Phed approached to sell some power to phed so phed will in turn sell to the public. I don't know how that panned out.

Politicians are one of our greatest problems, followed by other Nigerians.

Nzeribe was the Senate chairman of Energy then. They shared it.

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by maxiflexy(m): 7:38pm On Aug 06, 2017
Allow states to build and generate their own power.

invest in coal power production, forget about the climate sh..it America just got out.

invest in small cluster of power plant around the country.

give Nigeria power and see how we work magic on this country
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Demmzy15(m): 7:41pm On Aug 06, 2017
We need to go green; Solar and Wind Energy is the way forward.
We could try waste disposal and nuclear energy!

1 Like

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by nanizle(m): 7:42pm On Aug 06, 2017
9jii:

Yes we should not be contributing in polluting the world. Forget coal

Coal actually does have a huge role to play if we aspire for uninterrupted power. Coal and hydro should ideally form our base load capacity. I would have mentioned gas too but pipeline vandalism is still a problem. Gas turbines should handle peak load.

Since you mentioned pollution... Why don't you stop entering vehicles that use hydrocarbon fuel since you are so concerned about pollution. undecided
Or you'd be more comfortable with nuclear power in naija?

We do have clean coal technologies now.

The top world economies still rely on coal power for good reason.

2 Likes

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by surrogatesng: 7:43pm On Aug 06, 2017
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by nanizle(m): 7:49pm On Aug 06, 2017
Demmzy15:
We need to go green; Solar and Wind Energy is the way forward.

We could try waste disposal and nuclear energy!

Solar and wind would be great for localised grids that will serve residential customers.

But I doubt they would meet the needs of industrial customers. We'll need majorly hydro, coal and gas power.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by globatop: 7:50pm On Aug 06, 2017
There can never be any development in this country with the current structure of governance.
Most of our leaders are not patriotic, everyone is concerned about their interests.
There can never be regular supply of electricity if there is no peace in Niger delta, if electricity is well privatized like telecommunications, we can achieve 24/7 power supply, but where are the foreign investors in the midst of kidnapping and pipeline vandalisation.
They should allow this country to split and see rapid developments among splited countries, but no they are milking the present situation without meaningful development. In the 60s, Nigeria was first in every development in Africa with regional autonomy, but now last in every development, imagine Republic of Benin had GSM phone b4 Nigeria.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Aug 06, 2017
slimthugchimee:

It costs a whole lot for that........

Coal plant is the way, but our efforts with that is being frustrated by america and the paris climate change agreement
America has no hands in it. Trump pulled them out of the agreement and they've ramped up coal mining activities.

Blame Buhari who signed on to something only the developed nations can shoulder

1 Like

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Aug 06, 2017
9jii:

Yes we should not be contributing in polluting the world. Forget coal

What is this one talking?

The poorest person in the West probably has more carbon footprint, and generates more waste than a lot of rich men in Naija.

Deceiving yourself to infinity.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Aug 06, 2017
Lukgaf:
Great Nairalanders,

The issue of Electricity in this blessed country has been my great concerns especially in the area I found myself. Even, they hardly give 30 minutes power in some places and it is not an overstatement that many places have Electricity only when they (NEPA or PHCN or Distribution Companies or what is their name called) want to distribute Electricity bills. This is annoying a times.

I called a Master in China who said he has experienced uninterrupted power supply since he got there since 3 months ago.

So do you think Nigeria can be like those countries in terms of electricity and what measures do you think we can use?

c

Biafra.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 06, 2017
9jii:
Solar is the way.but should be a gradual process.
In the near future it ll be the cheapest source.
The world is going green

The world is 5% green, 95% fossil fuel.

Green energy is for the future n solar is presently by far the most expensive source of power supply.

1 Like

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Blue3k(m): 8:15pm On Aug 06, 2017
You guys don't understand how the Paris agreement on climate change works.if you guys read it you would understand it doesn't stop Nigeria from using coal or have legal sanctions as results.

The level of NDCs set by each country[16] will set that country's targets. However the 'contributions' themselves are not binding as a matter of international law, as they lack the specificity, normative character, or obligatory language necessary to create binding norms.[17] Furthermore, there will be no mechanism to force[18] a country to set a target in their NDC by a specific date and no enforcement if a set target in an NDC is not met.[16][19] There will be only a "name and shame" system[20]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Agreement

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by correctguy101(m): 8:17pm On Aug 06, 2017
Ekinematics:
Let states provide their own electricity.
Delete this national grid nonsense.

Wise talk, but those whom the national grid nonsense favors won't let that bill see the light of day.

I personally vote for every state having and producing their own everything, that way u will see states competing to do more than the other state, hence development will come automatically.

Not all this FG nonsense. It's just giving the state governments a very big excuse to be inactive.

1 Like

Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by correctguy101(m): 8:25pm On Aug 06, 2017
ruffhandu:
All you talking of money, if you know how much obasanjo wasted, you will open your mouth and leave it open. Not to mention the one Yaradua and Jonathan added.

Corruption and foolishness/greed has reduced Nigeria to nothing.

I don't know what happened to the money obasanjo voted, but I think they did it like most fg runs, shared it amongst themselves.

I remember when the minister under jona, Nebo, complained of vandalism. The vandals were just doing it mindlessly. I didn't see any gain in it for them, and that made me think they have sponsors: who are either political opositions who just want the govt to fail; or businessmen who want to sell their wares.

My suggestion:
Let what happened in telecommunications industry happen in power sector. Licence small operators and encourage them.
If a small company generates and distributes power to a cluster, he'll be consistent.
Many of such will light up Nigeria. And since there lines do not travel through long lonely distance, the case of vandalism will be curtailed.

Note: Each company can use any preferred means to generate their power.

A case:
Coca-Cola ph generates it's power, with.gas supplied by one of the oil companies. They hace steady power supply, they couldn't afford to lose few seconds of outage. Phed approached to sell some power to phed so phed will in turn sell to the public. I don't know how that panned out.

Politicians are one of our greatest problems, followed by other Nigerians.
I like dis.

Thanks, but you should know that no one has come out to suggest that.

If u have an idea to generate and maintain a steady electricity production, please pm daddy let's talk. Got a deal going. Though it just might be cap intensive but who knows our clients will pay if we market well
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by dejavumart3d: 8:31pm On Aug 06, 2017
Wen atiku nd david mark still living u want to hve 247 light...no wahala
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by mophiselph: 8:32pm On Aug 06, 2017
we need at least two nulear reactors to generate enough electricity
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Bacon21(m): 8:34pm On Aug 06, 2017
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Bacon21(m): 8:37pm On Aug 06, 2017
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Bacon21(m): 8:44pm On Aug 06, 2017
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Nukilia: 8:45pm On Aug 06, 2017
The power sector will crash like a pack of cards... Let's keep our fingers crossed as we encounter innovation very soon. We suffer as a country because we do not invest in science and technology. Problems that could be solved by our universities is being left unsolved. Hopefully we'll have great innovators who will save us from the blood sucking incompetent political class who feed on the misery of Nigerians.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Kollysman1: 8:54pm On Aug 06, 2017
Sorry To Interrupt Bro....

I had ND in elect/elect and with my level of exposure to electrical installation, if at all nigerian govt made to make it 24/7,

are we using standard material fr electrical installations? Right frm HT lines to point of light in our room?

If that is not addressed first, 24/7 electricity In Nigeria is SUICIDE, bcoz electric current produces heat around cable and if its substandard.... It lead to hazard
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Ashley86400: 9:01pm On Aug 06, 2017
[/b]OP- What measures do you think we can use to generate 24/7 electricity? [b]

Me- Imagination.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by theNOISEmaker: 9:14pm On Aug 06, 2017
Biggty:
24hours uninterrupted power supply can never happen in this country.

who told you?? come to Azuba, Lafia in nassarawa state.. i swear to Almighty God you will get tired of electricity.. 24hrs uninterrupted light every blessed day..
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by nanizle(m): 9:16pm On Aug 06, 2017
Bacon21:

If we invest in coal we will be taking a step back. They should employ researchers to find the best areas for wind and solar plants at the lowest cost instead of looking for coal that will be gone in 50 years.

Lol @ coal gone in 50 years. It will still be used as long as it's available and cheap. Coal is the most abundant fossil fuel. Coal has been used to generate electricity since the 17th century in the US and it is still the dominant power source in the US.

I do agree that we need to deploy more renewables to the energy mix but we should not relegate coal power... that would be silly tbh.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by komodapson(m): 9:17pm On Aug 06, 2017
slimthugchimee:

It costs a whole lot for that........

Coal plant is the way, but our efforts with that is being frustrated by america and the paris climate change agreement
u are well informed. but it seems Trump had renege on the Paris agreement by granting Philadelphia miners unhindered access to coal mines so as to maintain their jobs
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Pricelessangel0(f): 9:50pm On Aug 06, 2017
Biggty:
24hours uninterrupted power supply can never happen in this country.

Not everyone can afford solar
it is happening in okene kogi state
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by poseidon12: 10:04pm On Aug 06, 2017
Ekinematics:
Let states provide their own electricity.
Delete this national grid nonsense.

Well, Northerners in the Senate and House of Representatives just voted against a Bill that would have allowed the States to generate, transmit and distribute their own electricity.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by Obalende: 10:39pm On Aug 06, 2017
poseidon12:

Well, Northerners in the Senate and House of Representatives just voted against a Bill that would have allowed the States to generate, transmit and distribute their own electricity.
Which shows how regressive Nigeria is.... how can states be actively against development. Lol.
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by mmmnaija: 10:52pm On Aug 06, 2017
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=how%20to%20generate%20electricity%20through%20sea%20wave&sm=3
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by mmmnaija: 11:13pm On Aug 06, 2017
We should watch this video on how to generate energy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uStFvcz9Or4
Re: What Measure Do You Think We Can Use To Generate 24/7 Electricity? by ruffhandu: 11:26pm On Aug 06, 2017
adetayo234:

Don't forget, bro, that those who bought distribution companies are politicians and their cronies. If they should agree with your idea, those who bought distribution companies won't make money again. They know the solution, but following the solution will
negatively impact their selfish interests.

I agree with you. But if not for the demons in them, they would know that such will only make them sit, and also.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Abu Ibrahim: 'Atiku No Match For Buhari In The North' / EU, U.S. Warn Police, DSS, Others On 2019 Elections / Poverty, Insecurity, Explosive Demographic Growth In Nigeria Worrisome – UN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.