Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,144 members, 7,821,898 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

Help. My Nigerian Boyfriend's Mother Hates Me Because I'm Not Nigerian? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help. My Nigerian Boyfriend's Mother Hates Me Because I'm Not Nigerian? (4463 Views)

My Pregnant Wife Now Hates Me! Please Help!!! / My Husband Broke Up With Me Because I'm Yet To Conceive. Losing My Mind.. Help! / Will You Still Marry A Man Whose Mother Hates You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help. My Nigerian Boyfriend's Mother Hates Me Because I'm Not Nigerian? by MrRhymes101(m): 5:47am On Aug 21, 2017
Parents still do this?? what a shame. That was how I anchored a wedding last year and the groom was obviously unhappy, as in it showed!! Pple were saying it was his mum that chose his wife

1 Like

Re: Help. My Nigerian Boyfriend's Mother Hates Me Because I'm Not Nigerian? by skressed1: 9:31pm On Aug 22, 2017
It's strange because I have never disrespected her or done anything wrong to her. But yet she has all these problems. His father doesn't have an issue with me, in fact he has also always been in support of me before this situation and even during and he is Yoruba. And, yes you are right.
Greystone:
@ skressed1, it's an unfortunate truth that we can't control the people we fall in love with.

Your bf's mother doesn't like u now...what makes you think this will change when u are married?

She will hate you even more then for being the woman who her son insisted on marrying.

As for me, i have this guiding principle with relationships;
If i don't have peace of mind, I'm out.

No mucking about, no compromise.

Life is too short to be spent with heartache and pain.

Before you can love another, love yourself first.

A lifetime is a very long time so be wise.
Re: Help. My Nigerian Boyfriend's Mother Hates Me Because I'm Not Nigerian? by Greystone: 7:00am On Aug 23, 2017
skressed1:
It's strange because I have never disrespected her or done anything wrong to her. But yet she has all these problems. His father doesn't have an issue with me, in fact he has also always been in support of me before this situation and even during and he is Yoruba. And, yes you are right.

You can't make her like you.
You most likely never will.
If it's like this while u r dating, then it will be hell if u marry her son.
It's ur choice.

1 Like

Re: Help. My Nigerian Boyfriend's Mother Hates Me Because I'm Not Nigerian? by skressed1: 5:51am On Aug 24, 2017
Unfortunately it seems so. I had no clue parents still do this either. She is obviously tribalistic which is very ironic
MrRhymes101:
Parents still do this?? what a shame. That was how I anchored a wedding last year and the groom was obviously unhappy, as in it showed!! Pple were saying it was his mum that chose his wife
Re: Help. My Nigerian Boyfriend's Mother Hates Me Because I'm Not Nigerian? by skressed1: 5:51am On Aug 24, 2017
I don't want her to like me. She is evil. I don't want to be liked by such. I would rather just leave it alone because it's true, these issues are already enough now a marriage would be even worse. She would never stop meddling in it. It's a shame he was born to such a woman
Greystone:

You can't make her like you.
You most likely never will.
If it's like this while u r dating, then it will be hell if u marry her son.
It's ur choice.
Re: Help. My Nigerian Boyfriend's Mother Hates Me Because I'm Not Nigerian? by Greystone: 1:32pm On Aug 24, 2017
skressed1:
I don't want her to like me. She is evil. I don't want to be liked by such. I would rather just leave it alone because it's true, these issues are already enough now a marriage would be even worse. She would never stop meddling in it. It's a shame he was born to such a woman

It's unfortunate but many people are very narrow minded and she seems to be one of them.
I have a friend whose mother in law treated him similarly to how ur bf's mother is treating you.
Nothing he did was good enough and the root of the problem was he was from another part of the country and she wanted her daughter to marry from their tribe.
I don't want the same to happen to you.
And u r right, she will continuously meddle in ur relationship.
I hope whatever u decide to do is in ur very best interest.

1 Like

Re: Help. My Nigerian Boyfriend's Mother Hates Me Because I'm Not Nigerian? by skressed1: 7:54am On Aug 26, 2017
I don't understand that though because my ex's father is not even from the same tribe as her so why does she get to dictate that? I sympathize with your friend. Those kind of old head mother in laws are the worst, there will never be peace. Yes. I don't want someone like that in my life but I appreciate your advice
Greystone:

It's unfortunate but many people are very narrow minded and she seems to be one of them.
I have a friend whose mother in law treated him similarly to how ur bf's mother is treating you.
Nothing he did was good enough and the root of the problem was he was from another part of the country and she wanted her daughter to marry from their tribe.
I don't want the same to happen to you.
And u r right, she will continuously meddle in ur relationship.
I hope whatever u decide to do is in ur very best interest.
Re: Help. My Nigerian Boyfriend's Mother Hates Me Because I'm Not Nigerian? by Missnairaland: 4:22pm On Aug 26, 2017
izit by force to marry him? shey man don finish 4dis world ni undecided undecided undecided
Re: Help. My Nigerian Boyfriend's Mother Hates Me Because I'm Not Nigerian? by Greystone: 6:17pm On Aug 26, 2017
skressed1:
I don't understand that though because my ex's father is not even from the same tribe as her so why does she get to dictate that? I sympathize with your friend. Those kind of old head mother in laws are the worst, there will never be peace. Yes. I don't want someone like that in my life but I appreciate your advice

You're welcome.
I know you will find happiness

1 Like

Re: Help. My Nigerian Boyfriend's Mother Hates Me Because I'm Not Nigerian? by Chommieblaq(f): 7:43am On Aug 27, 2017
I don't really buy this story. It's either your boyfriend is not straightforward with you or the person that told you what's up is lying.

There are bad MIL and boyfriend's mom, but no Nigerian mother who doesn't like her DIL or girlfriend will even waste time pretending, they have the chance to cut the relationship at the earlier stage, so why pretend? If she's as bad you you wrote, then believe me she must have shown it to you, but love cover your eye grin

And if actually true, focus on your child. He's your Ex, let it go. Don't judge people because of one experience. Same thing happens in every country. It's an individual thing.
Re: Help. My Nigerian Boyfriend's Mother Hates Me Because I'm Not Nigerian? by player007(m): 6:50pm On Aug 27, 2017
cuteguy123:

Dear, I simple, I cute, I am calm everything you want I am. My parents will accept you, I will take you to them before we start dating.

Lets hook up, I am single and willing to mingle to settle down. wink we can talk more via pms. What do you say?

So all the Runs girls we you de carry for warri, no one gree for you?
Re: Help. My Nigerian Boyfriend's Mother Hates Me Because I'm Not Nigerian? by skressed1: 4:03am On Aug 29, 2017
It is not for you to buy because you have not lived it lol. There are people who pretend. My own grandmother pretended with my mother too until my father married her, then the true colors came out. I have seen previous threads where people say the same thing. She didn't think our relationship would get as serious as it did, which is where I feel the problem came in and she didn't mind me before because she thought I was just a temporary girlfriend passing by, who would give him 'experience' on how to understand women. I saw signs early in the relationship but not to this extent, but enough for me to be weary of her. I always knew in my spirit one day a big disagreement will occur and surely this situation happened. That is already my focus.
Chommieblaq:
I don't really buy this story. It's either your boyfriend is not straightforward with you or the person that told you what's up is lying.

There are bad MIL and boyfriend's mom, but no Nigerian mother who doesn't like her DIL or girlfriend will even waste time pretending, they have the chance to cut the relationship at the earlier stage, so why pretend? If she's as bad you you wrote, then believe me she must have shown it to you, but love cover your eye grin

And if actually true, focus on your child. He's your Ex, let it go. Don't judge people because of one experience. Same thing happens in every country. It's an individual thing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is He Secretive Or I'm Being Nosy? / At 28 My Parents Dnt Let Me Keep A Girlfriend Advice Me Pls. / Husband's Or Maiden Name, Which One Appears On A Married Ladys NYSC Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.