Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,543 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? (38157 Views)

How Goodluck Jonathan Was Disrespected As A President (Throwback Photos) / Nnamdi Kanu And IPOB In Aba When Jonathan Was In Power (Video) / Throwback Photos Of When Jonathan Gave South-west Obas N50m Each (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by collinkz: 10:46pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:
One would imagine that in five years that Jonathan was in Power, if these protests and loud requests for secession was brought forward and it was this loud, It might have been easier for the Igbo nation to get what they seem to want.

Of course there is also the question of whether the agitators actually speak the mind of the Igbo Nation. This is because in my corner of the country, the Igbo men I know do not seem to be very much in support of Master Nnamdi. Still, these issues should be addressed by way of logical two way discussion.

So my questions are:

why is the demand for Biafra more pronounced now?

Did the agitators forget what they wanted before?

Did they not want it at the time?

What exactly is the reasonable expectation currently?

Do you want the Hausa man to go and face his onions and cow while leaving the oil for only the east to enjoy because they are very selfless like Jesus?

Would it not have been easier to ask Jonathan to do that?

Are we willing to go back to 1967 to make it happen?

I was wondering why we didn't hear anything about Biafra during obasanjo and yaraadua time too

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Kazim88: 10:46pm On Sep 03, 2017
NtoAkwaIbom:

See this ignoramus..

How many yrs did ireland fight before being granted independence. ?
How many yrs did south sudan fight before getging independence. ?
How long did eritrea strugle before being sent away from ethiopia ?

You guys are soooooo ignorant

you big mugu. Biafra has fought civil war.. lost 3.5million

kept the dream for 50 years.... yet you are asking me how many years eritea, S Sudan and Co struggled

why not mention Scotland and BREXIT referendums.

Even MASSOB started 1999... wake up

8 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by BabaO2: 10:46pm On Sep 03, 2017
They used jonathan's era to infiltrate everywhere, all FGC in the whole south were packed with their children without required scores or even sitting for the common entrance. awon oloshi jatijati

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by BlackMbakara1(m): 10:46pm On Sep 03, 2017
They know it's not possible because a southerner is the president which will not favour them as SS will turn against them for destabilization of governance...

Now seems okay because they will curry sympathy support but not in totality as an average SS man doesn't trust a SE man...the bitter truth.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by spiralwedge(m): 10:47pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:
One would imagine that in five years that Jonathan was in Power, if these protests and loud requests for secession was brought forward and it was this loud, It might have been easier for the Igbo nation to get what they seem to want.

Of course there is also the question of whether the agitators actually speak the mind of the Igbo Nation. This is because in my corner of the country, the Igbo men I know do not seem to be very much in support of Master Nnamdi. Still, these issues should be addressed by way of logical two way discussion.

So my questions are:

Do you want the Hausa man to go and face his onions and cow while leaving the oil for only the east to enjoy because they are very selfless like Jesus?

Because they are pathetic when it comes to political calculations. During the GEJ era, the SW was almost neglected in appointments and stuffs, but instead of leaping up and down like frogs, they calculated and saw to a regime change in the most civilised way. But these guys, when, after a few years, in the same position, are completely lost and would rather prefer we scatter everything. Shooo... Na so.
Personally, i wish they are allowed to go. And then we build a wall aound their tiny Republic with patrols to shoot down any moving objects near it.
I understand Niger state is 5 times bigger than the whole of SE in landmass.

6 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 10:47pm On Sep 03, 2017
Kazim88:

Obiano Apology

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/08/obiano-apologizes-ipob-may-30-2016-killing-members-onitsha/

Biafra vs Buratai, Obiano and 13 others.
200 million dollars suit. (John Doe vs Buratai et al)

http://www.newsexpressngr.com/news/43288-Biafra-Suit-Intersociety-releases-evidence-against-Buratai-Arase-other-Military-and-Police-top-shots-46

You think 1967 is 2017.

You think the world is still a jungle. wake up.

Let's Nigeria start war

it would be 1 billion dollars suit this time.

And ICC are currently investigating state involvement in Herdsmen and Nigeria Army Human Rights Abuses... this one is not a civil or monetary is straight execution of life imprisonment in Hague.

Biafrans do not know jack about international politics and territorial sovereignty... They bliv the UN will just come n divide up nigeria like that.

How long has Catalinas in Spain hv been fighting ? Have they gotten dia country ? Go to google and type secessionist movement... You will see almost 400 of them... The thing is... The Un respects the sovereignty of nations.. Puerto rico has been fighting for statehood, n America has been ignoring it... Taiwan wants to be a country of its own, but without china agreeing.. It will continue to be a pariah state.

You guys feel that it Igbos are soooo special that evry1 will come n gv u anything u guys want.

Continue crying, n wailing... Una get long way to go.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by NigeriaKitchen: 10:47pm On Sep 03, 2017
NigeriaKitchen:
Nice question but the answers are:

1. Buhari's tribalistic and lopsided political appointment and very nepotic leadership style in which only the Fulani/Hausa and some of his Yoruba allies are favoured while others are seen as idiots!

2. Fulani herdsmen incessant killings of unarmed innocent villagers in middle belt, kaduna and Enugu in which Buhari refused to condemn or act to show that he is not in support of the murderous Fulani militia cum herdsmen.

3. The arrest of Nnamdi KANU

4. One-sided fight against corruption by Buhari governments in which Buhari friends, cabinets, sponsors and allies who are corrupt are allowed to walk free while his perceived enemies and opposition are clamped down on using efcc and DSS.

These factors are the reason the agitation for seccesion by various groups in Nigeria became more pronounced under Buhari.

Goodluck Jonathan may not have been an excellent president, but he was fair to all....he was liberal....he was kind hearted, considerate, humane and very democratic unlike Buhari

2 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by sanpipita(m): 10:47pm On Sep 03, 2017
NigeriaKitchen:
Nice question but the answers are:

1. Buhari's tribalistic and lopsided political appointments and very nepotic leadership style in which only the Fulani/Hausa and some of his Yoruba allies are favoured while others are seen as idiots!

2. Fulani herdsmen incessant killings of unarmed innocent villagers in middle belt, kaduna and Enugu in which Buhari refused to condemn or act to show that he is not in support of the murderous Fulani militia cum herdsmen.

3. The arrest of Nnamdi KANU

4. One-sided fight against corruption by Buhari governments in which Buhari friends, cabinets, sponsors and allies who are corrupt are allowed to walk free while his perceived enemies and opposition are clamped down on using efcc and DSS.

These factors are the reason the agitation for seccesion by various groups in Nigeria became more pronounced under Buhari.

Goodluck Jonathan may not have been an excellent president, but he was fair to all....he was liberal....he was kind hearted, considerate, humane and very democratic unlike Buhari

Thank you for this post, Buhari disunites Nigerians rather than uniting them yet people think agitations started cos he became president, he hasn't made all Nigerians feel equal

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by OkunrinMeta: 10:47pm On Sep 03, 2017
sanpipita:

I never wanted to reply here but after reading where you talked about 1967 I must say you are very stupid, its like what kanu says about this country being a zoo is true, must a war be fought just cos agitations? what about doing things like civilised people, are we animals? for your question do your research Biafra was on under GEJ some were arrested and taken to court blame buhari for escalating everything since he took over.

As you would see if you go through the thread. I am not in support of war. Inciting comments that can lead to war is exactly what this thread is speaking against. If we talk about why calls for secession were not as loud before, then maybe we can address the issue once and for all.
Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by LoudNdclear: 10:50pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:
My people, the purpose of this thread is not to start a fight or fuel ethnic hatred. It is to draw attention to the ineffectiveness of the current approach and the dangers of civil war.

Please let us all find a way to get what we want without violence. Why not join politics?

Even if pro-biafrans cannot get the presidency. If all the governors in your region are in support, it would that show the south-east people voted for governors who want Biafra, meaning they want Biafra too. So it will be easy to move from there. Not street fights and accidental discharges from police and soldiers that will leave only sorrows, pain, and fuel more bitterness.

First I want you to shut up..... I mean shut your dirty mouth up, you know and every one with a working brain knows that your sole aim of this thread is to fuel hatred, you are trying to make it seem as thou the ipob intensified their agitation because Buhari got into power, which is wrong!!! Buhari gave them voice!!

secondly you saying "selfish like Jesus" was that Aimed at making peace or raising awareness to the imminent war?
Just shut your mouth son..... and stop blowing hot and cold air!!! Prophet Mohammed wouldn't be happy with you for doing that.... lol

In my opinion you should be bothered how or why Boko haram suddenly reduced (if not stopped) the rate they carry out their evil works immediately Buhari entered power, bearing in mind he promised to make the country ungovernable for GEJ........ but you wouldn't be bothered about that, he is your brother, you must support him.

I don't know why do I have this feeling that the north is so scared of letting the ibos go, you said some ibos living in the north don't want Biafra, oga that one is a very big lie!!! The only thing keeping the ibos in the north is their business, some are well established that the just can't think of going back to start all over again!!!

But still they sleep with one eyes open terror can strike at anytime, just because prophet Mohammed commanded you all to kill the infidel or haruna.

In my opinion staying together no be by force the ibos are saying give me breathing space let me put my house in order, is that too much to ask for?

A sensible government should call for voting just like what happened with Brexit, not by shooting them..... you can't kill and idea, you can only kill the people involved in the struggle, and the idea will still stand..... (PBUH)

9 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by maryjay99: 10:50pm On Sep 03, 2017
Because of Buhari actions , utterances , nepotism & leadership style

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Fearlez: 10:50pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

So my questions are:

* Jonathan ignored Kalu into an insignificant raging lunatic. Even radio Biafra was so unpopular

* Jonathan never arrested him and disobeyed court orders twice for his release.

* Jonathan never gave a polity-heating, divisive speech as 97% and 5%.

Every fan of Kalu, every one of his supporters was freely gifted to him by Buhari's impulsive hate and thoughtless actions.

4 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by chudi55: 10:50pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

Maybe ..... And Jonathan shared money through amnesty. Maybe that's also why

Was Kanu even on radio during Jonathan's regime?
ask your fore father's they will tell you more.....

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by bkool7(m): 10:50pm On Sep 03, 2017
Those people shouting TAN are the same ones shouting Biafra now .
What has changed?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by musa7m(m): 10:51pm On Sep 03, 2017
Lightening:

Jonathan ignored Kanu, but the cattle rearer confronted him and gave him more publicity, sympathy and followership. Nobody is afraid of your 1967. Good night.
nobody is afraid of 1967? You can spk yoursef not for evryigbo Nwanna how old are you? Go ask your father...dem will tel you abt biafran/Nigerian war...
Yyeske:
Dont be deceived by him, Igalas, Idomas, Efiks, Ibibio, ijaws, Urhobos, Itshekiris and other groups around Igboland had dissociated themselves from Biafra yet they keep pushing the referendum down their throats as if those groups asked for it.
They only want access to sea and oil
guy I see light in your post....

4 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Pecca: 10:52pm On Sep 03, 2017
The GEJ's govt, for the first time, gave biafran's a sense of belonging. Then the cowboy happened on the scene and thought he can revert all that and just walk away. His gravest mistake, na him be that!!! Go check his BP.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by fumiswtpusy(f): 10:52pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

A better strategy would be to vote for Nnamdi Kanu and his compatriots as Governors in all the Southeast. That is the wise thing to do unless the people of the southeast are not really in support of the biafran movement.
That will amount to wasting of time.the. Current constitution is made for the north and the number of their senators is about 108 and atleast 80 are northerners so any bill to be passed would be killed in the house.
These nnamdi kanu approach is the best.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by leisuretym: 10:52pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:
One would imagine that in five years that Jonathan was in Power, if these protests and loud requests for secession was brought forward and it was this loud, It might have been easier for the Igbo nation to get what they seem to .....

its your useless Mohamed and the mod that moved this to front page and seun that is selfish, not my Jesus,

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by sanpipita(m): 10:52pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

As you would see if you go through the thread. I am not in support of war. Inciting comments that can lead to war is exactly was this thread is speaking against. If we talk about why calls for secession were not as loud before, then maybe we can address the issue once and for all.

So where ask if we want to go back to 1967? secession calls happens if there is imbalance especially injustice within any place, Nigeria isn't a fair nation, nobody should be surprised by secession calls, it will get more louder as we go on unless we do better for ourselves.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by juszoe82: 10:53pm On Sep 03, 2017
The call for Biafra has been in existence not because of Jonathan or so called Buhari but is because our people have endured enough in the so called nigeria and their system of government that a particular feel that they are born to rule but what make it worst is buhari after winning election and decide to user outrageous reactions against igbos both in his appointment and statement. I dont know why some people in this country nigeria does not address issues with truth instead they see and address things through their anus. So called buhari use this statement after winning election that igbos will get 5% share in his govt while others will get 95%. Jonathan never discriminate during his govt. In terms of hate speech buhari have it 100% than Jonathan.

My advice to this govt is that they should brought all the issues on the table,embrace restructuring or referendum with equity,fairness and justice and also treat every tribe equal if not the agitation will continue whether people like it or not. The system is totally destroyed and need to be properly address.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Yyeske(m): 10:54pm On Sep 03, 2017
Since they've noticed that Nnamdi kanu had deceived them and that Nigeria cannot give them referendum and Biafra without them going through due process, they are now threatening Nigeria with UN, as if the UN decides our laws here

4 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 10:55pm On Sep 03, 2017
Kazim88:

kept the dream for 50 years.... yet you are asking me how many years eritea, S Sudan and Co struggled

Even MASSOB started 1999... wake up

You dont fight and run away to get freedom(respect to ojukwu..
You fight, and fight untill non of u is left... (South Sudan, Eritrea)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by rozayx5(m): 10:57pm On Sep 03, 2017
Kazim88:

Why not start the war quick quick... Oct 1st is a perfect day... quit notice day.

You talk what you dont understand.

Common the little attack on IPOB Obiano is already confessing and asking for forgiveness.

Buratai is being investigated for Genocide...

You think you can just pick up arms and declare war against those seek for self determination?

or you can sell war propagandas in this internet age.

You think Nigeria Army would get involved in tribal fights.

Wake up.

when the heat starts the zombies will feel it more

any disruption in Nigeria will lead to mass hunger in the North and SOuth west

cause there will be no allocation money

ignore them

i am from the SS and this country does not make sense

Nigeria has no future

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by OkunrinMeta: 10:59pm On Sep 03, 2017
juszoe82:
The call for Biafra has been in existence not because of Jonathan or so called Buhari but is because our people have endured enough in the so called nigeria and their system of government that a particular feel that they are born to rule but what make it worst is buhari after winning election and decide to user outrageous reactions against igbos both in his appointment and statement. I dont know why some people in this country nigeria does not address issues with truth instead they see and address things through their anus. So called buhari use this statement after winning election that igbos will get 5% share in his govt while others will get 95%. Jonathan never discriminate during his govt. In terms of hate speech buhari have it 100% than Jonathan.

My advice to this govt is that they should brought all the issues on the table,embrace restructuring or referendum with equity,fairness and justice and also treat every tribe equal if not the agitation will continue whether people like it or not. The system is totally destroyed and need to be properly address.

I like your comments. However, some would say the Yoruba tribe was also marginalized by the Jonathan Regime. For instance, can you name a Yoruba man that was at the top 1-5 of Jonathan's administration?

Instead, the Yorubas have now voted for a regime where they have a VP, is that not something the biafrans can do instead of a call for secession?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by aolawale025: 10:59pm On Sep 03, 2017
GEJ ran an all inclusive government. There is bound to to agitation when a government is heavily stacked with a region to the exclusion of others

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by obailala(m): 11:01pm On Sep 03, 2017
mazimee:
Jonathan ignored them, but Buhari didn't.
He arrested Kanu, that worsen the whole issue.
Stop deceiving yourself with this empty "Jonathan ignored them statement," NO leader will sit back and fold his arms watching while anybody tries to divide the kingdom he rules; not even a weak Jonathan would have folded his arms. Under Jonathan's leadership, several members of MASSOB were arrested and some even killed (Ezu River massacre) and nobody gave a damn about it. The head of the Biafran zionist movement (Chief Ben Onwuka) who declared Biafra during Jonathan's reign was also arrested, locked up and the key thrown away until recently and that happened under the government of GEJ.

The only reason Jonathan did not arrest Kanu was because during Jonathan's time, Kanu was just a nobody who was based in the UK making noise to his very insignificant number audience who didnt even take him serious. How many people knew Kanu before April 1st 2015 and how exactly was Jonathan meant to arrest someone living in the UK?

People started paying attention and following Kanu only after GEJ lost the election because Kanu at the time seemed to be the only alternative left for millions of disgruntled Jonathan supporters. 99% of IPOb and Kanu supporters today only declared support for Kanu/IPOB after the 2015 elections. This is a fact that cannot be wished away, everything abouy the explosion of IPOb is deeply rooted in politics of 2015. But unfortunately, Buhari with his actions and inactions keep lending validity to the ipob political distractions.

5 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 11:01pm On Sep 03, 2017
Kazim88:

See who is ignorant. Have you ever watched brave heart ?
Do you know how long scotland has been fighting nonstop to get the referendum the got ?
I know u ignoramus lot think that William wallace is just some regular guy..
You dont know dat he fought and died and still scotland was still in the Uk, and Scotland is still in the Uk.

You guys are free to make noise as u like, its Seun Osewa dat is givin u guys dat mouth to talk, because if not for nairaland...who for know dat bleached up pig.

4 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by OkunrinMeta: 11:01pm On Sep 03, 2017
rozayx5:

when the heat starts the zombies will feel it more

any disruption in Nigeria will lead to mass hunger in the North and SOuth west

cause there will be no allocation money

ignore them

i am from the SS and this country does not make sense

Nigeria has no future

Are you saying the regions that produce the pepper, onions, cow meat, and other basic food items would starve? This is not inline with my understanding of what happen during the Civil war.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by Yyeske(m): 11:03pm On Sep 03, 2017
NtoAkwaIbom:

Biafrans do not know jack about international politics and territorial sovereignty... They bliv the UN will just come n divide up nigeria like that.

How long has Catalinas in Spain hv been fighting ? Have they gotten dia country ? Go to google and type secessionist movement... You will see almost 400 of them... The thing is... The Un respects the sovereignty of nations.. Puerto rico has been fighting for statehood, n America has been ignoring it... Taiwan wants to be a country of its own, but without china agreeing.. It will continue to be a pariah state.

You guys feel that it Igbos are soooo special that evry1 will come n gv u anything u guys want.

Continue crying, n wailing... Una get long way to go.
Full respect dear, please Igbo is not same as IPOB miscreants. Igbos want Nigeria and are proud of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by positivetaught: 11:03pm On Sep 03, 2017
let's stop this unnecessary blame game,buck passing n fault finding n get to the root of the matter,buhari's clear bias n self righteous posture is aiding the cult status of KANU,look at the restructuring issue,except if we agree that nothing is wrong with our set up,it is one issue that should not be waved off easily but buhari, his supporters n APC thinks otherwise, you can't suppress peoples desire forever, if democracy is for the people then the people's desire as expressed in the massive call for restructuring should be considered else KANU will continue to gain ground with unpredictable consequences,all the talk n threat of war is just brinkmanship in war you can't be too sure.look at the resent appointments in NNPC does it reflect the genuine desire for national acceptance n unity?.

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by vislabraye(m): 11:03pm On Sep 03, 2017
OkunrinMeta:

Maybe ..... And Jonathan shared money through amnesty. Maybe that's also why

Was Kanu even on radio during Jonathan's regime?

Buhari's utterances didn't help matters. 97% and 5% comes to mind. From his body language you can tell that he doesn't really like/trusts Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Why Was There Little Call For Biafra When Jonathan Was In Power? by OkunrinMeta: 11:05pm On Sep 03, 2017
leisuretym:

its your useless Mohamed and the mod that moved this to front page and seun that is selfish, not my Jesus,

I said selfless. But you called someone useless and you said "my Jesus". Is that what Jesus taught you?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Give Muslims Their Own 1st January Public Holiday - MURIC / IGBO Man Supports Buhari For 2019 , States His Reasons - Read / NCAN Buys Nomination Form For president Muhammad Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.