Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,456 members, 7,839,979 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (274) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4454108 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:40am On May 17, 2013
Henry120:

Senegal has to spend on their military. Just like nigeria, they also have their own insurgency, deadly insurgency, but in the south of the country. The group call themselves Camacanse separatist ( i've forgotten the spelling though)

I know what you are talking about, casamance, but the group is harmless , beside I still think it is too much money for a country with food security issues.. also maybe they should let them go their way
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by sithwell: 12:56pm On May 17, 2013
snydergp: SAAF jet patrolling

Good work by the photographer there. Jet "watching over" the union buildings evokes some emotions.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by sithwell: 1:02pm On May 17, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: I know what you are talking about, casamance, but the group is harmless , beside I still think it is too much money for a country with food security issues.. also maybe they should let them go their way

Maybe if the food security situation and the factors related to this that are causing the insurgency to begin with (?)
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 1:05pm On May 17, 2013
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 1:06pm On May 17, 2013
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by sithwell: 1:29pm On May 17, 2013
agaugust: .

Eritean women soldiers...said to be the best battle tested female army in Africa.

if i face this type of fine girl in war zone as my enemy, should i shoot her ?

Shoot her, by all means! A gun is a gun, no matter who's holding it ...
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:37pm On May 17, 2013
China’s Long March-3B carrier rocket lifts off at the Xichang Satellite Launch
Center in southwest China’s Sichuan Province, Dec. 20, 2011, successfully sending the US$311 million Nigerian
communication satellite, NIGCOMSAT-1R, into orbit at 00:41 Beijing Time

(Photo Credit: XINHUA)

THE GUARDIAN
16 May, 2013

IMAGES from three Nigerian satellites – NigeriaSat-1, NigeriaSat-X, and
NigeriaSat-2- released recently by the
National Space Research Development
Agency (NASRDA) on the extent of
damage caused by Military intervention at Baga, Borno State, have shown
remarkable difference with that
published on April 30, 2013 by the Human Rights Watch (HRW).

Baga is a town in the northeastern
Nigerian state of Borno, close to Lake
Chad, and lying northeast of the town of
Kukawa. The images showed there were burnt scars and building damages mainly in the southern fringe of Baga Town but the area defined is about 54,000sq.m and not 80,000sm2 as claimed by the HRW. The HRW had published a damage assessment of Baga town, which has generated a lot of media reports and reactions. The assessment as it portray,was carried out using satellite imagery of April 6 (pre-violence) and April 26 (post-violence) of in Baga respectively.

But a review of HRW damage assessment with the images from the Nigerian Satellites by Director General of NASRDA,Dr. Seidu O. Mohammed, found the area covered by the fire scars identified as damaged areas by the HRW is about 11,000m2; the satellites detected active fire zones include largely thatched fences and frontages; the 11,000m2 can approximately take three standard football fields(100mx50m); the town is largely a squatter settlement in structure and the building structures are largely traditional types with extensions/
frontages with thatched/mud brick hedges/fences.

The NASRDA review showed that from
the image overlay analysis, the area
(11,000m2) cannot logically house 2,400
damaged buildings with 2,275 destroyed and 125 severely damaged, claimed to be identified in the study area by HRW. The agency also found that going by the above estimate of 2400 damaged buildings, and the actual size of the area with burn scars (equivalent to three standard football fields), it is presumed that 800 buildings exist on a standard football field (5000m2). The review also observed that the estimation of the number of damaged building were about 80 per cent exaggerated, because the process of generating the information was purely a desktop approach and without any ground truthing exercise to validate the time, extent, trend and land use activities; leading to huge misinterpretation of features such as
buildings, trees, fences, open courtyards,
uninhabited plots, etc were counted as same features as building.

The review is titled “Satellite Imagery
Analysis of Baga and Environs, Borno
State, Nigeria.” Mohammed said the aim of the review was to carry out quick look validation of the damage assessment presented by HRW using multi-stage satellite imagery (Image sets used by HRW, NigeriaSat-1, NigeriaSat-X, and NigeriaSat-2 VHRI: 2.5m and 5m);identify some critical technical assumptions in the damage assessment report, leading to HRW spurious findings and conclusions; contrast the most probable damage assessment Baga Town; and advice on the best-practice for handling similar issues in the future.

Mohammed concluded: “It is very true
that images don’t lie, but the
interpretation of features that occur in an area, and captured with scientific
satellites must be interpreted with the
effective ground knowledge (in-situ), history and land use activities for
accurate results. Therefore, due to the
sensitive nature and the security
implication of the violence in Baga and
environs, and Nigeria at large, satellite
imagery must be carefully validated to authenticate the time, pattern, extent,
and land use activities of a disaster area
before publication.”

The HRW had last week presented
evidence in form of satellite images
showing abuse by the Nigerian military
as it clashed with suspected Boko Haram
militants.HRW claimed that 2,275 homes were ruined based on analysed satellite images contrary to the military’s assertion that only 30 houses were destroyed during the raid on Baga on April 16 and 17. HRW urged the Nigerian government to impartially investigate and prosecute soldiers responsible for the Baga debacle.

Africa director at HRW, Daniel Bekele,
said: “The Nigerian military has a duty to protect itself and the population from
Boko Haram attacks, but the evidence
indicates that it engaged more in
destruction than in protection.” There has been claims and counter claims
on the actual number of casualties,
ranging from 25 to 185 people depending on the source of information, but the military said 30, one soldier and six civilians died while a Senior Special Assistant to President, Doyin Okupe told
Channels TV that only 25 people died.

It should be noted that, the following
disclaimer was attached by the HRW to
their desktop findings: “These results are preliminary and are subject to revision or correction pending additional imagery review, new testimony and/or ground verification.”

The Nigerian government has launched five satellites into outer space. Early plan to launch a national satellite in 1976 was not executed. The NigeriaSat-1 was the first Nigerian satellite and built by a United Kingdom-based satellite technology Surrey Space
Technology Limited (SSTL) Company
under the Nigerian government
sponsorship for $30 million. The satellite was launched by Kosmos-3M rocket from Russian Plesetsk spaceport on September 27, 2003. Nigeriasat-1 was
part of the worldwide Disaster
Monitoring Constellation System.

NigeriaSat-2 and NigeriaSat-X were built as a high-resolution earth
satellite by SSTL for DMC system also. It
has 2.5-metre resolution panchromatic
(very high resolution), 5-metre
multispectral (high resolution, NIR red, green and red bands), and 32-metre
multispectral (medium resolution, NIR
red, green and red bands) antennas. The NigeriaSat-2/X spacecraft was built at a cost of over £35 million (citation needed). This satellite was launched into orbit by Ukrainian Dnepr rocket from a Yasny military base in Russia on 17 August 2011.

NigComSat-1, a Nigerian satellite ordered and built in China in 2004, was Nigeria’s second satellite and Africa’s first communication satellite. It was launched on 13 May 2007, aboard a Chinese Long March 3B carrier rocket, from the Xichang Satellite Launch Centre in China. On November 11, 2008, NigComSat-1 failed in orbit after running out of power due to an anomaly in its solar array. It was based on the Chinese DFH-4 satellite bus and carries a variety of transponders: 4 C-band; 14 Ku-band; 8 Ka- band; and 2 L-band. It was designed to provide coverage to many parts of Africa and the Ka-band transponders would also cover Italy.

However, NigComSat-1R was launched by China on 19 December 2011, to replace the lost NigComSat-1, at no cost to Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Defenceweb: 1:48pm On May 17, 2013
South African Launch Rocket

Designed by a private company, but is getting a bit of funding from the Department of Science and Technology.

A 10kN thrust capacity engine has already been developed to test the concept.

[img]http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_1/Rest_World/CHEETAH-1/Gallery/CH-2.jpg[/img]
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:50pm On May 17, 2013
snydergp:

You have very poor knowledge of history, since when has SA cooperated with Russia in producing chemical weapons because since the advent of democracy in SA we decided to stop our chemical and Biological warfare programs and talks in SA woth AU stated that Africa should be a Nuclear Weapons free Zone hence the signing of the treaty in late 1990's. SA in the past was a Soviet enemy pre apartheid and SA developed Nuclear Weapons as a deterrent to Soviet Aggression and SA built the RSA-3/4 ICBM that could deliver Nuclear Warhead on Moscow, Cuba and Angola if the Soviets tried to invade SA. ALL4Naija need to read up on history before you talk nonsense, it only exposes your lack of knowledge on international affairs and military knowledge.

You come and quote a 16year old article on SA which was by then including mandela were still being listed as a terrorist by the CIA. SA's ANC is and was friends with Cuba and other former Soviet supported frontline states. The same US you article you quoted didn't tell us about US selling Arms to Dictators Like Egypt, Saudi Arabian Leaders till today. The same US that preaches democracy but supports non democratic states and Dictators when it suits there National interests. Yoy come and talk about Aid what is $88m in 1990's=00000.tongue.

Now let's not talk about USN donating 1960's Cold War ERA Frigates which the USN decommissioned and reassigned them as Coast Guard Cutters then by the end of there live span donating them to the Nigerian Navy which they held a Full military Parade to welcome a 1960's Hand Me Down Relic which is now the NNS Thunder Flag Ship. Nigeria is the second biggest recipient of US Military Aid.
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/baga-bloody-day-us-may-stop-military-aid-to-nigeria/

And here's still more the so called strongest military in africa who can only boast on numbers not quality of equipment, and who rely on US.
http://www.huhuonline.com/index.php/rep/1389-u-s-military-assistance-to-nigeria-continue

Now is this the same country who can't even maintain there aircraft inhouse, and who regulary buy and receive donated second hand military gear from US, Ukraine and the likes.

By the way SA is not a US puppet and have told them many a times that we will not be bullied by them since the advent of post apartheid.

Nigeria should be the last country to talk of Aid, so called "giants" of nothing but mediocrity.tongue

NONSENSE! I can not even grasped a sense from what you just wrote,braggart. Stop putting SA where it doesn't belong. That country is deceiving most of you as the Nigerians. You must be hallucinating to be comparing you f**ked up nation to the superpowers.

It is funny though, how SA that has budget that is not as big as California state is making noise about the who of US. Dude, I am laughing at you ignorance of saying your country is not US puppet yet it is puppet of China.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:56pm On May 17, 2013
snydergp: SANDF SF
[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1110789_SANDF_sfb_jpg8c2eb777f40220103d619ab728e18f00[/img]

What is that? This is the worst camouflage I have ever seen in my entire life! That guy can barely see and he is using a binocular to watch for enemy at a distance while he lost vision of nearby enemy. This is a big disappointment in this kind of strategy coming from a nation that rely on false information and citizens boasting online. Jeez! SA military needs to learn one or more things from the Nigerian soldiers.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:58pm On May 17, 2013
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:00pm On May 17, 2013
Defenceweb: South African Launch Rocket

Designed by a private company, but is getting a bit of funding from the Department of Science and Technology.

A 10kN thrust capacity engine has already been developed to test the concept.

[img]http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_1/Rest_World/CHEETAH-1/Gallery/CH-2.jpg[/img]

Give us a link. I don't believe this bogus comment.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Defenceweb: 2:03pm On May 17, 2013
all4naija: Give us a link. I don't believe this bogus comment.

I don't give a rats ass what you believe. But here is your stupid link http://www.marcom-as.com/
Now keep quiet.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:08pm On May 17, 2013
Defenceweb:

I don't give a rats ass what you believe. But here is your stupid link http://www.marcom-as.com/
Now keep quiet.
Why should I be? How in the whole wide world did you present a statement without evidence and claim to be right is still a challenge to me. Now, you are telling me to shut the hell for nothing. Please, stop acting like a child.

Thanks for the link for nothing, anyway.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Defenceweb: 2:11pm On May 17, 2013
I'm telling you to keep quiet because you could have simply asked for a link.
By claiming it was a bogus comment, you opened yourself up to ridicule, which you fully deserved.
Now enjoy your link with the humble pie you're also eating.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Defenceweb: 2:17pm On May 17, 2013
10kN test engine

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Defenceweb: 2:20pm On May 17, 2013
10kn engine cold flow test

http://vimeo.com/50524725
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:21pm On May 17, 2013
Defenceweb:

Now keep quiet.
I like the project very much. I hate seeing braggarts engaging in such a highly technologically skills requiring project while preparing to intimidate others. That I don't usually find interesting about South Africans. If not, this is a welcome development in Africa and I would be interested in doing a follow up blogging on it as a Nigerian.

This will put Africa on the spotlight on the space exploration project. Will SA allow others in Africa to take part than just going about it solo? I don't admire that country being greedy and restrictive in nature.

Show me more over-exaggerated images. Nigerian will soon have their own as well in 7 to 10 years and we will be sending African first scientist to space before SA. The first African to be in space was not a scientist and his name is Mark Shuttleworth(the Ubuntu founder - I like him though).
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:24pm On May 17, 2013
Defenceweb: I'm telling you to keep quiet because you could have simply asked for a link.
By claiming it was a bogus comment, you opened yourself up to ridicule, which you fully deserved.
What is the humble pie for? Please, we are having ours come online in few years from now. So, there is nothing to flaunt here to Nigerians as though we can't have one in a century. Pleaseeeeeeez.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Defenceweb: 2:25pm On May 17, 2013
all4naija: What is the humble pie for? Please, we are having ours come online in few years from now. So, there is nothing to flaunt here to Nigerians as though we can't have one in a century. Pleaseeeeeeez.

Humble pie was for you saying this was bogus. Get it? Good.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 2:26pm On May 17, 2013
[size=16pt]nigeria is superior to south africa in satellite technology[/size]

Defenceweb: I'm telling you to keep quiet because you could have simply asked for a link.

Nothing in your bogus Web Link. Its a fluke ! Nothing in that website of a private company, nothing in that source that says south africa achieved anything from your bogus rocket photos. a south african private company still hoping to build something while nigeria is using 3 big satellites for military warfare, and we are also building and testing space launch rockets at same time with long range missile project in lagos epe coast lagoon.

where were you when i used nigeria satellite tracking to sink the whole south african navy blockading nigerian coastal waters ? nigerian army artillery with satellite image control and fire re-directing sank your blue water navy in 5 minutes on nigeria coastal waters, and you have no valour class frigates after that power show !

add to it the new nigerian satellite posted above on this page by @Henry, south africa is just a joke !

see the battle simulation i posted on page 236 and go sit down men.

stop the meaningless talk, you should be the one to humble yourself.

standard requirement for coverage of the whole world is 3 big satellites and nigeria has it, we can watch all south african military movements from space and watch your president jacob zuma kissing his wife in the open garden in pretoria !

see photo of nigerian satellite targeting cars on the streets from outer space !

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:27pm On May 17, 2013
Defenceweb:

Humble pie was for you saying this was bogus. Get it? Good.
Lol... grin grin grin I got it. But, the phrase is not required of you as a rebuttal. That is what I am talking about.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Defenceweb: 2:28pm On May 17, 2013
agaugust: [size=16pt]nigeria is superior to south africa in satellite technology[/size]

Nothing in your bogus Web Link. Its a fluke ! Nothing in that website of a private company, says south africa achieved anything from your bogus rocket photos. a south african private company still hoping to build something while nigeria is using 3 big satellites for military warfare, and we are also building and testing space launch rockets at same time with long range missile project in lagos epe coast lagoon.

where were you when i used nigeria satellite tracking to sink the whole south african navy blockading nigerian coastal waters ? nigerian army artillery with satellite image control and fire re-directing sank your blue water navy in 5 minutes on nigeria coastal waters, and you have no valour class frigates after that power show !

add to it the new nigerian satellite posted above on this page by @Henry, south africa is just a joke !

see photo of nigerian satellite targeting cars on the streets from outer space !

I don't think you even know what I was talking about
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:30pm On May 17, 2013
agaugust: [size=16pt]nigeria is superior to south africa in satellite technology[/size]

Nothing in your bogus Web Link. Its a fluke ! Nothing in that website of a private company, nothing in that source that says south africa achieved anything from your bogus rocket photos. a south african private company still hoping to build something while nigeria is using 3 big satellites for military warfare, and we are also building and testing space launch rockets at same time with long range missile project in lagos epe coast lagoon.

That is a good one coming from you as usual,pal!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 2:32pm On May 17, 2013
Defenceweb:
I don't think you even know what I was talking about

I know you were posting a bogus claim, thats why i reacted.

may i add this :

standard requirement for coverage of the whole world is 3 big satellites and nigeria has it, we can watch all south african military movements from space and watch your president jacob zuma kissing his wife in the open garden in pretoria !

Egypt will have a big problem at war with Nigeria because of our superior satellite technology, we are the best in africa today. superior satellite capability helped Britain to defeat Argentina in Falklands war 1982. Egypt can only defeat Nigeria if they massively launch all their huge weapons aresenal at Nigeria in one week or else Nigeria will have reaction time and stop Egypt to stalemate war in about 7 weeks. Postulation though, but practically realistic based on war research and analysis.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Defenceweb: 2:33pm On May 17, 2013
agaugust:

SA firm readies space rocket

http://m.news24.com/news24/SciTech/News/SA-firm-readies-space-rocket-20121015
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Defenceweb: 2:35pm On May 17, 2013
So have I still made a bogus claim?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:41pm On May 17, 2013
Defenceweb:

SA firm readies space rocket

Good! Now, let us work as a team than bragging to Nigeria, the giant of Africa.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 2:42pm On May 17, 2013
Defenceweb: So have I still made a bogus claim?

yes still bogus claim...read your own source, i copied and quote sentences from it below, or you no go school ?
grin

...and it can never be used for military purpose ;

"Comninos' proposal at the SA Space Association Congress in Cape Town revealed that most of the work had already been done and the company is seeking private funding to have a launch vehicle ready within five years.

"We've designed the Cheetah 1 launch vehicle as a cryogenic liquid rocket engine which makes it almost impossible to weaponise, but we are registered with the non-proliferation office and they are aware of our capabilities and we provide reports and feedback as to our progress," Comninos added.

stop wasting my time, i was trying to reply that your @fighter pilot guy and @snydergyp so you just derailed me.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 2:46pm On May 17, 2013
all4naija: Good! Now, let us work as a team than bragging to Nigeria, the giant of Africa.

sorry but nothing good yet, the rocket needs 5 years to launch and they are still looking for money to fund it. then rocket booaster is useless to space technology if there is no satellite to launch...and there is none in that weblink. so its a south africa brag that may not materilaise untill 5 years and cannot be used as weapon as a regulation signed...i posted that above.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Defenceweb: 2:46pm On May 17, 2013
agaugust:

yes still bogus claim...read your own source, i copied a sentence from it below, or you no go school ?
grin

...and it can never be used for military purpose ;

"Comninos' proposal at the SA Space Association Congress in Cape Town revealed that most of the work had already been done and the company is seeking private funding to have a launch vehicle ready within five years.

"We've designed the Cheetah 1 launch vehicle as a cryogenic liquid rocket engine which makes it almost impossible to weaponise, but we are registered with the non-proliferation office and they are aware of our capabilities and we provide reports and feedback as to our progress," Comninos added.

stop wasting my time, i was trying to reply that your @fighter pilot guy and you just derailed me.

No my man. You derailed yourself. You decided to reply to my post. Nowhere did I say that this is a military rocket.
Nowhere did I say that this rocket will have an explosive warhead placed on it. So you wasted your own time.

This rocket is designed to carry satellites (civilian and military) into orbit. So again, you wasted your own time trying to be clever.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 2:49pm On May 17, 2013
Defenceweb:
No my man. You derailed yourself. You decided to reply to my post. Nowhere did I say that this is a military rocket.
Nowhere did I say that this rocket will have an explosive warhead placed on it. So you wasted your own time.

This rocket is designed to carry satellites (civilian and military) into orbit. So again, you wasted your own time trying to be clever.

there will be no satellite for you to put on that rocket for the next 5 years if at all the private company is luck to raise money to complete the project.

you were trying to match it below the post of @Henry on nigerian satellite in military use for combat. so i had to help you tie up your wings, you cannot fly yet...you too young, start by walking grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.