Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,949 members, 7,824,977 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (277) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4445323 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 8:13am On May 18, 2013
The most respected China copies SA made weapons. What is it so interesting do they find in SA weapons.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?154657-China-attempts-to-copy-South-African-weapons-now
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by LTSHANGY: 8:19am On May 18, 2013
@ Agaugust, yes am Nigerian.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 8:27am On May 18, 2013
Our very own DENEL helps UAE to develop drones, but am not proud of it.

http://www.bdlive.co.za/national/2013/04/12/denel-helping-saudi-arabia-develop-drones
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 8:35am On May 18, 2013
The Denel Mecham unveils the new Casspir New Generation, Caspir NG 2000.

http://m.engineeringnews.co.za/article/sa-company-unveils-new-mine-protected-products-2013-05-03
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by LTSHANGY: 8:36am On May 18, 2013
@ syndergp, the Nigerian armed forces is only a regional power in the western part of Africa. Having over 300,000 personnels in all 3 arms of d armed forces, its the largest in all d sahara mahgreb region, has been active since 1959 till date. The south African national defence force was curbed from former south african defence force, has over 100,000 personnels in all 3 arms of d armed forces. Has sophiscated military equipments and viable defence company, been active since 1800. The strongest military in Africa is quite unknown, but i can only say there are regional military powers. Examples are Nigeria, South africa, Ethiopia and maybe Egypt..
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 8:46am On May 18, 2013
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 9:13am On May 18, 2013
The recent South African accusations through MTN by the US for helping IRAN on its nuclear project.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/africa/south-africa/120409/south-africa-aiding-the-iranian-military
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 9:21am On May 18, 2013
The research revealed that Algeria, Morocco and South Africa were by far the largest Arms importer in Africa, from 2008-2012.

http://www.worldtribune.com/2013/03/20/report-algeria-morocco-are-top-africa-arms-importers/
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by LTSHANGY: 9:24am On May 18, 2013
Fighter Pilot: The Denel Mecham unveils the new Casspir New Generation, Caspir NG 2000
Yes, Denel is a defence company in south africa, internationally recognised with good products. However, Denel is not a wholly SA defence company, the SA buys Denels products, but it comes with free units, lets say 2% of denel products goes 2 d SANDF free.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 9:45am On May 18, 2013
agaugust:

...because you seem not to understand that a navy that paid for 4 to 6 stealth warships with anti-submarine weapons on board will start preparing itself for anti-submarine war games even before the new warships arrive. you think nigerian admirals are fools ?

we are doing submarine training with pakistani navy before our new anti-submarine warships arrive, so when the ships arrive you think nigerian navy admirals will go to sleep ?

nigeria already knows the secrets of submarine warfare from pakistan and they too want to ordered for the same chinese navy Type 056 light frigate like nigeria.

your navy officers in south africa have been deceiving you that your navy rules africa because you have submarines, keep on dreaming while other powerful african navies are building very modern anti-submarine capabilities. keep dreaming and let your pretoria officers deceive you. one day your navy will get a shock like your army got with seleka rebels.

you think your enemies or rivals are fools ?

NN has only payed for 2 95m OPVs that may or may not be fited with torpedos. But here is the thing. If a surface ship only has torpedos to fight a Sub it is at a massive disadvanteg. Since the sub can shoot back and the sub can remain hidden. This gives the Sub the advantiage of choosing when to attack. Stealth means nothing for a Sub who hunts through sound, the very movent through water makes sound. Of cours a ship can use active sonar but that would give away it's postion. The range at what you can hear sonar is greater than the range at witch it can detect somthing. Same goes for radar.

Nigeria once to buy a sub. That why they traing in pakstan. Have you not seen the 2020 vission for the NN. Even more nigeria current ships have never operated with a sub. Even more I am not impressed by pakstians Anti sub warfare program they worse than india and india could not pick up our (ype 209 in a wargame even though it was shadowing there fleet the entire time.

What african countries are building ASW asserts. No sub shara nastion has any real ASW sytem and only those in the north have any. Most of it is legacy sytems from the cold war. And our army killed over 500 rebels for the loss of only 14 that very good odds in my books.

What rivals. You think NN is a rival for us. You no more a rival than a bug is a rival to a boot. SAN is not even trying. We have no threats. Unlike nigeria where we can messure falures. Nigeria is becoming the next pirat alley. Your pressures 300 boats can not stop thieves robing ships in your waters.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 10:10am On May 18, 2013
LT SHANGY:
Yes, Denel is a defence company in south africa, internationally recognised with good products. However, Denel is not a wholly SA defence company, the SA buys Denels products, but it comes with free units, lets say 2% of denel products goes 2 d SANDF free.

Denel is 100% state owned company, they only sold some of their divisions to foreigners, such as their bomb manufacturing arm. However, not 100% of such divisions.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 10:20am On May 18, 2013
In 2011, SA unveiled their first African-Made military plane. This machine is very fast, bullet proofed and armed with its own machine guns. Moreover, this tech is said that can even freez on the air and fire more than 5000 rounds a minute( this still need to be proved). It is good for reconnaissance and the SAAF has already shown interest to procure 60 of these light planes. The unit of these light aircraft is said to cost $10 million.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/sep/27/first-african-military-plane-introduced/
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 10:28am On May 18, 2013
The SA Navy unveils new submarine test bed.

http://itweb.co.za/mobilesite/defenceweb/home/item_id-30045/
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 10:55am On May 18, 2013
This also was one dangerous weapon unveiled in SA, rogue CIWS.

http://itweb.co.za/mobilesite/defenceweb/home/item_id-1412/
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 11:06am On May 18, 2013
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 11:12am On May 18, 2013
The SA Navy wants to build its own war ships and the entire continent. Hope it becomes success

http://www.citypress.co.za/news/sa-navy-wants-to-build-its-own-ships-20120317/
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 11:33am On May 18, 2013
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:57am On May 18, 2013
LT SHANGY:

Now bro I must say you are hopelessly wrong on that front and its been proven before on this thread.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denel/

Denel is 100% SA Goverment owned, but there are divisions within the company that has foreign and domestic private partnerships like Denel's A-datar missile project which has a joint venture with Brazil's goverment owned arms company.

Denel Aeronautics is also another casing point where they and Swedish owned SAAD have joint subsidiary company which focuses on systems development in the aviation field for both commercial and military applications.

Lastly Reutech which is SA's largest private defense firm is also in joint cooperation with Denel which ensure that systems integration in the Radar and communications fields such as data links.

I hope this is the last time SA peeps will have to state this case.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 12:45pm On May 18, 2013

[size=14pt] DENEL south africa in financial mess [/size]

DENEL defense company of South Africa is in financial mess and heavy debt...bad business. The whole nation if South Africa too is also in heavy financial debt to foreign lenders. You south africans forgot to mention these DENEL facts, so I helped you to post it. Thanks my soweto brothers. grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:50pm On May 18, 2013
agaugust: ...

tonguetonguetongue

gringringrin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 12:55pm On May 18, 2013
Now because of the ANC's stance of condemning the use of full military might by one country to another and that the vicious dog is now in the cage. People should however stop to think that SA is just a walk on the park. I wish if it was during the apartheid year, the SELEKA rebels would have been a history as we speak, we would have gone to CAR with our full force. Thus, the problem is that Mrs ANC with her policies of becoming exemplary to the world discourages us to take that step. It is reasonable though because at the first place she should have never sent our troops there without a heavy artillery. It was, however, later discovered that the ambush was carried out by Bozize's own mutinous soldiers who turned against their trainers and not by child soldiers as it was initially envisaged.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 1:11pm On May 18, 2013

[size=16pt]South African military failed to win war against tiny in-experienced Cuba[/size]

grin grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:22pm On May 18, 2013
@fighter, if not becos Gen. Murtala Muhammed was assasinated, he would have built a military that would attack your apartheid bas.tar.ds. Under him, we operated the most radical effective foreign policy. His days are regarded by historians as the golden age of Nigeria's foreeign policy.

If not becos of Okah's coup, Babangida wouldnt have crippled the military and the defence industry by underfunding them and executing some of our finest soldiers. The likes of Vasta and Ben Ekele, the famous fighter pilot, comes to mind.

If not becos Nigeria was under sanctions in the days of Abacha

if not becos obasanjo had to keep the size and expertness of the military down so as to make the military stay in their baracks for good after a long history of interference in the political affairs of Nigeria. Do you think SA would have all the mouth you guys have now? I dont blame you guys like we say in naija: na condition make crayfish bend. Hope you understand that pidgin.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 1:33pm On May 18, 2013
Just looks at Agaugust, someone who claims to be an expect in military, even failed to recognise Cuba as a fully experienced country in combat. He surely needs to visit the history about the Cuban Revolution. Besides, Cuba never fought alone, it fought in coalition of forces against SA, and compromised, Cuba, Angola, ANC, Russia, MPLA. That's why I hate arguing with Nigerians, because when you beat them they will start to beat about the bush and derail the treat. Just look at him, each country has its own dirty laundry and so I don't want us to go there. I just do not have the enegy for that. If you have nothing to discuss, you would rather shut up.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 1:39pm On May 18, 2013
souldust: @fighter, if not becos Gen. Murtala Muhammed was assasinated, he would have built a military that would attack your apartheid bas.tar.ds. Under him, we operated the most radical effective foreign policy. His days are regarded by historians as the golden age of Nigeria's foreeign policy.

If not becos of Okah's coup, Babangida wouldnt have crippled the military and the defence industry by underfunding them and executing some of our finest soldiers. The likes of Vasta and Ben Ekele, the famous fighter pilot, comes to mind.

If not becos Nigeria was under sanctions in the days of Abacha

if not becos obasanjo had to keep the size and expertness of the military down so as to make the military stay in their baracks for good after a long history of interference in the political affairs of Nigeria. Do you think SA would have all the mouth you guys have now? I dont blame you guys like we say in naija: na condition make crayfish bend. Hope you understand that pidgin.

What an excuse? Murtala was still alive and kicking during the dark days of apartheid. If the superpowers couldn't do anything then who is Nigeria that could have done something.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:39pm On May 18, 2013
@fighter you think your soweto republic is all that exists withing this vast continent. It is OK. You are not the first man from SA who is so ignorant of other parts of the continent. We have seen many before including all the ones who came here before you.

Message: come out of your country. Try to know more about other people otherwise, remain incomplete just like your knowledge of other people!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 1:48pm On May 18, 2013
souldust: @fighter you think your soweto republic is all that exists withing this vast continent. It is OK. You are not the first man from SA who is so ignorant of other parts of the continent. We have seen many before including all the ones who came here before you.

Message: come out of your country. Try to know more about other people otherwise, remain incomplete just like your knowledge of other people!

What have I done my brother, to accuse me that bad. I don't even reside in Soweto, my home is in sunnyside, Pretoria. What Soweto has to do with this now?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:52pm On May 18, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

What an excuse? Murtala was still alive and kicking during the dark days of apartheid. If the superpowers couldn't do anything then who is Nigeria that could have done something.
Murtala took mantle of leadership and was assasinated only six months later. In that six months, he took the most radical step against your apartheid including standing up to the UK and margret thatcher. Our foreinng policy was more of activism at that time.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:56pm On May 18, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

What have I done my brother, to accuse me that bad. I don't even reside in Soweto, my home is in sunnyside, Pretoria. What Soweto has to do with this now?
i am so sorry. I thought you are another snydergp or Msauza. We had a real encounter way before you came. So when you came up with the "if not for the ANC", i thought, here we go again. So again i say i am sorry.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 1:58pm On May 18, 2013
souldust: Murtala took mantle of leadership and was assasinated only six months later. In that six months, he took the most radical step against your apartheid including standing up to the UK and margret thatcher. Our foreinng policy was more of activism at that time.

Unfortunately, its not good to speak about ghosts when matters are like this. Let us bury that subject because it couldn't materialise and put on top a tombstone to settle it down.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:01pm On May 18, 2013
just want to ask a question. Why is Ethiopia ranked among the best militaries on the continent? I am surprised becos, all i have evr heard of that country is disaster + their defence budget is too small compared to egypt, SA, algeria and of course Naija.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 2:02pm On May 18, 2013
cuba's in-experienced army of boys and girls. tiny cuba almost defeated south african in bush war.

[img]http://www.juventudrebelde.cu/UserFiles/Image/2008/junio/22/graduacion-militar-g.jpg[/img]

Fighter Pilot: Just looks at Agaugust, someone who claims to be an expect in military, even failed to recognise Cuba as a fully experienced country in combat. He surely needs to visit the history about the Cuban Revolution. Besides, Cuba never fought alone, it fought in coalition of forces against SA, and compromised, Cuba, Angola, ANC, Russia, MPLA. That's why I hate arguing with Nigerians, because when you beat them they will start to beat about the bush and derail the treat. Just look at him, each country has its own dirty laundry and so I don't want us to go there. I just do not have the enegy for that. If you have nothing to discuss, you would rather shut up.

i just set a trap for you and fell down flat into it. i have a lot of information about Cuban military and its war history. Cuba is just our next door neighbour here and our CIA and military watch them everyday. i have neutral sources that proves Cuba had zero combat experience when they fought South Africa, and almost defeated you.

South Africa had overt and covert suppourt from USA, France, Britain, Holland, Israel and China. it was a balanced war and south africa almost got defeated before your government quickly begged for peace talks and settlement.

south africa has NEVER won any war in its life-time. all you have is nice photographs of weapons. Ethiopia has a far better war history than south africa the over-rated weapons producer. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.