Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,910 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:06 PM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (2936) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4432125 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2933) (2934) (2935) (2936) (2937) (2938) (2939) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by snydergp1st(m): 3:06pm On Jun 06, 2016
patches689:
[size=15pt]Nigerians send their pilots to South Africa so we can teach them how to fly[/size]
http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=43789:nigerian-air-force-to-train-pilots-in-south-africa&catid=35:Aerospace&Itemid=107

Henry and he's crew of yahoo misfit spin doctors will soon try lying themselves out of this one.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jun 06, 2016
i dont know from were did you get the map but mali niger with better prosperity than algeria tunisia egypt grin common ! i have your source legatum prosperity report 2016 in front of me and i don't see this map ;( ps : your source is looked )

this is below the legatum prosperity index for africa 2016

you can see that some parts like personal freedom / social capital ​​are rather vague to judge

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by DieVluit: 3:41pm On Jun 06, 2016
chkil:
[s]i dont know from were did you get the map but mali niger with better prosperity than algeria tunisia egypt grin common !

this is below the legatum prosperity index for africa 2016

you can see that some parts like personal freedom / social capital ​​are rather vague to judge [/s]

That's because you didn't bother to read. If you read, you didn't bother to understand. It says clearly that prosperity is being measured against each country's GDP. i.e. How you use what you've got. So yes, the article and pictures stand unless you can show why they shouldn't.

Yours is a different assessment altogether.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jun 06, 2016
snydergp1st:

Henry and he's crew of yahoo misfit spin doctors will soon try lying themselves out of this one.

Patches689, Snydergp1st

Desperate South-Africans!! gringringringringringringringringringringringrin

Congrats your SAAF got a contract to teach "college grads" how to fly!

Hopeless desperados! gringringringringringrin

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Odunayaw(m): 10:44pm On Jun 06, 2016
patches689:
[size=15pt]Nigerians send their pilots to South Africa so we can teach them how to fly[/size]
http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=43789:nigerian-air-force-to-train-pilots-in-south-africa&catid=35:Aerospace&Itemid=107
as soon I saw "co.za" it hit me ...bunch of Zulu folks spending adult hours looking for news to gloat on
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 1:11am On Jun 07, 2016
Henry240:

Patches689, Snydergp1st

Desperate South-Africans!! gringringringringringringringringringringringrin

Congrats your SAAF got a contract to teach "college grads" how to fly!

Hopeless desperados! gringringringringringrin

Lol

We train the NAF end of story

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 1:12am On Jun 07, 2016
Odunayaw:
as soon I saw "co.za" it hit me ...bunch of Zulu folks spending adult hours looking for news to gloat on

Someone cant handle the facts
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by gasha91: 3:56am On Jun 07, 2016
chkil:
1- i wanted to write MF2000/ mirage F1 , in 2006 they upgraded their mirage F1 to MF2000 ASTRAC version ,with same equipement from the mirage 2000-5 version .

for "Ethiopian military does not release information " it's a old joke , we arn't in cold wars any more , it's capitalism now , all armament companies publish new contract in detail to get costumers , the USA , France , russia and even Chinese ! even if you buy an little missile it will be published , there is no more army who like secret than the Algerian egytian moroccan chinese pakistanese but you will find report official for all their contract in detail . so avoid to use this fantasy of " we don't know the capacity of our super weapons it's secret ! " if your su27 get an upgrade you will find reports from sukhoi itself . ethiopia should go for the SU30 and for the best version based on MKI or SM ( a good number ) specialy when the ethiopian theoric enemy is egypt air force ( rafale/ f16s/ mig29m2 mirage ect.. ) who said that they will strike ethiopian barage many times in the nile river conflict

2- for egypt it"s not the same as morocco ! egypt get free F16s from US militry aid program $1.3 billion/ per year so US can give what they want to egypt it's free + israel will put its veto ( not the case of morocco) , this is why egypt bought somme mirage2000/ rafale /and the last mig29M2 to have upgraded capacity next to theirUS f16 , but morocco make a contract and several conccurents made ​​an offers ( F16/ Rafale/ tornado ect...) and they choose the F16 finaly , if they get not an upgraded version they would have bought the rafale for sur !+ morocco is major non-NATO ally to USA , and a strategic ally to France ! so they get alll what they want

3- morocco have also a good local capacity for overhaul maintenance , they upgrade their M60 / VAB/AML / M113 at home , so not worry about the availability , it's morocco they arn't idiot to let their tank with no maintenance specially when they have in front the algerian tank T90sa - upgraded t 72 and a big local overhaul/re-manufacture capability

and last all african country will have defensive posture against NATO , but if you want to compare moroccan army vs ethiopian army , in case of conflict no one can send a large invasion scal army with tank's IFV ect .... it will be atmaximum some aerial strikes ! but still morocco is ahead in many side : air force / navy / air defense , and for ground force we will said that they are close

Whatever avionics you put, the Mirage F-1 is still an old fighter but definitely more combat effective. If that wasn't the case, why buy a new fighter when you can just upgrade an old fighter with the latest avionics and weapons package? The Israelis produced a MIG-21 fitted with super advanced F-16 capabilities but a the end of the day it was still a MIG-21 with its old sub-systems.

1. Ethiopia has bought a lot of military equipment in the 10 years and almost all of them were never reported. They became only known after being shown in the super-rare exhibitions or mostly during deployment to Somalia,as the case of the Armour and vehicle modernization program that Janes reported. It is only then the producers were identified (easy to do) but none ever filed a report. Ethiopia also has a full overhaul capability for the Su-27 for which nobody knows who provided the capability. Furthermore, suppliers can be bound by their contracts to not disclose any information and Ethiopia buys it from countries who are willing to sign confidentiality agreement and generally do not release much information. One who thinks to know by reading fan-boy magazines and proclaiming to be an expert afterwards has been proven to be nothing but a fantasy and old joke of the past decade. Contrary to fanboy magazines, Egyptian rafale (which will take years to become operational integrated) and F-16s are short legged and Egypt does not operate the MIG-29M2 which is also short legged. They will need the F-15E or Su-30 to become a serious threat.

2. Egypt is a very important country for middle east peace. That is why it received $1.3 billion annually in military aid and billions folds more from Saudi than Morocco will ever get. Morocco has very little strategic significance due to its geographic location but due to it monarchy power structure and willing to support Saudi and American/western positions, it is rewarded by money some of which is used to finance its weapons purchases. Israel can "veto" (and has "vetoed"wink weapon transfer to any Arab country not only from US but several European countries like Germany. Morocco has always taken moderate position on Israel (along with secret relationship) and along the very limited number of weapons supplied is the main reason Israel decided to look the other way.

3. Morocco does not have the capability for re-manufacturing tanks and the US is not providing it for the M1A1 because it wants to help its local industry. Support for training will be provided by over five years period where Americans will be travelling to train locals to maintain them. Even the ammunition will be shipped from the US. In Ethiopia's case, everything is done locally (even license manufacturing) and ammunition is produced locally as well.

No, African countries don't have or need defensive posture against NATO. Besides, there is no African country that can withstand even for minutes against a NATO attack. You are right air attacks will be decisive but the advantage will go to a dedicated air-superiority fighter with longer range as opposed to a tactical fighter.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Odunayaw(m): 8:55am On Jun 07, 2016
patches689:

handle d fact that about 10 NDA 4th termers are coming to train in S.A just to strengthen diplomatic ties
Bruh.....don't ruin my morning with ya dullness
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:28am On Jun 07, 2016
gasha91:

well i tell you give me facts and official reports, the capacity of your few 10-14 sukhoi 27 SK how many still in service , you give me a fantasy story and words ! the holy secret ethiopian super power !! when you can find any reports about all armies in the word ! ethiopian army hav'nt need secret more than country like egypt ,israel, algeria libya, north korea ,china, venezuela, argentina ect ....... ethiopia is not a strategic partner to russia like algeria for exemple ( who have also very big manufacture capacity for its tanks and fighters helicopter fleet) and you will find the capacity of algerian sukhoi30 mka and mig 29s, t90sa , t72 newly upgraded in detail easly, so stay believe in cold wars stories and super secret contract for strategic ethiopia weapons case that nobody has heard about !

and egypt sign for 48 mig29m2 easy to fond source , so sorry but egypt is overwhelming and it's a joke to compare your 10 active sukhoi 27 sk from 1999 ( SK export version go to russian manufacture for sk modification before delivry them to ethiopia ) and i find that the Su27 SK version has degraded avionics capabilities and limited air-ground to the egyptian huge more advanced fleet , not a threat for ethiopia you said ! funny , with only 6 F16 , 4 mirage 2000 , one E-2 Hawkeye AWAC/ELINT support and their EW systems they can strike your barage and return easily , official egyptian military said that they have plan for this attack !

point2 you said the same than me . no need to inacessary facts that all people know , but morocco little strategic when they are on the Straits of Gibraltarand next OTAN , and no need to talk about france (big fish in OTAN) history , france will engage its army directy and quickly in any conflict morocco will have , so morocco is more strategic than ethiopia will never be .

3 . for t72 manufacture ect ... excuse me but i'm algerian we have also big manufacture for our t 72 , and the last upgrades all upgrades are published , so give me fact what upgrad have your t72 , what kit what new system , i gave you the moroccan main tank capacity , give me your's to compare , you get second hand 60 T-72s from yemen 2003 , sign for 200 ukranian t72s in 2011 what else . i read also that ethiopian ground force lost a lot of tanks and life against small erythrean army in 1991 and 1999 conflict !

so i will stop here for words specially when my level of english is not good ( i speak algerian , arabic and french so i know very well all north african military website) , if we want to compare objectively we need the ethiopian su 27 sk config system , the t72s config numbers ect ...

but it's clear that morocco is far ahead in military capacity équipement, technology fleet . , maybe in ground ethiopian army is close
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Vikkie14: 12:47pm On Jun 07, 2016
patches689:

Lol

We train the NAF end of story
Should we then start dancing? You are now making it seems like more than 10 are coming for BASIC "simulation"--yes that's what it is. Pesin wey no get enuf pilots for im crafts wan train oda nation's pilots-- i tink say dem dey yarn am say, na home charity dey start.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 1:29pm On Jun 07, 2016
Vikkie14:
Should we then start dancing? You are now making it seems like more than 10 are coming for BASIC "simulation"--yes that's what it is. Pesin wey no get enuf pilots for im crafts wan train oda nation's pilots-- i tink say dem dey yarn am say, na home charity dey start.

Its not for simulation.

Its year long training.

That means flight training.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by iblawi(m): 2:45pm On Jun 07, 2016
patches689:

Its not for simulation.

Its year long training.

That means flight training.
Maybe they are coming to learn how to fly commercial planes and helicopters. You know south African are good in flying commercial planes and politicians.

Definitely not to fly fighter jets.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 2:57pm On Jun 07, 2016
iblawi:

Maybe they are coming to learn how to fly commercial planes and helicopters. You know south African are good in flying commercial planes and politicians.

Definitely not to fly fighter jets.

Lol

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by dragon2(m): 4:02pm On Jun 07, 2016
By Senator Iroegbu
Abuja — As part of preparations towards inducting new platforms, the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) is
expanding the apron at the military wing of Yola International Airport to enhance air operations against
the Boko Haram insurgency in the North-east and is inducting more aircrafts into its inventory.
This came as German government monday disclosed its plans to commence the supply of military
hardware to support Nigeria's counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency operations in the North-east and
Niger Delta regions, before the end of 2016.
The Director of Public Relations and Information (DOPRI), Captain Ayodele Famuyiwa, in a statement
yesterday, said NAF, at present, is at the verge of inducting the Mi-35M helicopter gunship and JF-17
Thunder Fighter Ground Attack aircraft in addition to acquiring the Super Mushshack trainer aircraft.
Famuyiwa said that there are also strong indications that the US Government may give the nod sooner
than expected with regards to the sale of Super Tucano to the NAF to replace the ageing Alpha Jets.
He said that the proposed fleet expansion, according to the Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal
Sadique Baba Abubakar, necessitated the expansion of existing facilities including the apron, pilot crew
room, office/residential accommodation and recreation facilities newly put-in place to enhance the welfare
of the personnel and reposition the NAF for effective and efficient air operations.

allafrica.com/stories/201606071107.html
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jun 07, 2016
2013 NIGERIAN PILOTS GRADUATE FROM SOUTH AFRICA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBHGuCQDO-Y
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by DieVluit: 8:33pm On Jun 07, 2016
The Militant group stated that they were ready to show up the Nigerian military as they could not be stopped by anyone.They also warned oil companies from repairing destroyed pipelines.

They also warned oil companies off repairing destroyed pipelines.

We shall embarrass the self-acclaimed Nigerian Air Force with their recent deployment of fighter aircraft, helicopter gunship and surveillance aircraft when at this digital age, countries are talking about missile development, and they still condescend so low of their present obsolete equipment,” they said.

Read more at http://www.herald.ng/niger-delta-militants-threaten-blow-aso-rock/#i2GT8tChuI6PxHm3.99
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Adminisher: 4:45am On Jun 08, 2016
DieVluit:
The Militant group stated that they were ready to show up the Nigerian military as they could not be stopped by anyone.They also warned oil companies from repairing destroyed pipelines.

They also warned oil companies off repairing destroyed pipelines.

We shall embarrass the self-acclaimed Nigerian Air Force with their recent deployment of fighter aircraft, helicopter gunship and surveillance aircraft when at this digital age, countries are talking about missile development, and they still condescend so low of their present obsolete equipment,” they said.

Read more at http://www.herald.ng/niger-delta-militants-threaten-blow-aso-rock/#i2GT8tChuI6PxHm3.99

If you read this statement carefully, you will notice it is a "civilian: who prepared the statement. A civilian who does not know much about the military or weaponry.

The NDA are just a bunch of bullshitters out to make a fast buck

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by gasha91: 5:12am On Jun 08, 2016
chkil:

well i tell you give me facts and official reports, the capacity of your few 10-14 sukhoi 27 SK how many still in service , you give me a fantasy story and words ! the holy secret ethiopian super power !! when you can find any reports about all armies in the word ! ethiopian army hav'nt need secret more than country like egypt ,israel, algeria libya, north korea ,china, venezuela, argentina ect ....... ethiopia is not a strategic partner to russia like algeria for exemple ( who have also very big manufacture capacity for its tanks and fighters helicopter fleet) and you will find the capacity of algerian sukhoi30 mka and mig 29s, t90sa , t72 newly upgraded in detail easly, so stay believe in cold wars stories and super secret contract for strategic ethiopia weapons case that nobody has heard about !

and egypt sign for 48 mig29m2 easy to fond source , so sorry but egypt is overwhelming and it's a joke to compare your 10 active sukhoi 27 sk from 1999 ( SK export version go to russian manufacture for sk modification before delivry them to ethiopia ) and i find that the Su27 SK version has degraded avionics capabilities and limited air-ground to the egyptian huge more advanced fleet , not a threat for ethiopia you said ! funny , with only 6 F16 , 4 mirage 2000 , one E-2 Hawkeye AWAC/ELINT support and their EW systems they can strike your barage and return easily , official egyptian military said that they have plan for this attack !

point2 you said the same than me . no need to inacessary facts that all people know , but morocco little strategic when they are on the Straits of Gibraltarand next OTAN , and no need to talk about france (big fish in OTAN) history , france will engage its army directy and quickly in any conflict morocco will have , so morocco is more strategic than ethiopia will never be .

3 . for t72 manufacture ect ... excuse me but i'm algerian we have also big manufacture for our t 72 , and the last upgrades all upgrades are published , so give me fact what upgrad have your t72 , what kit what new system , i gave you the moroccan main tank capacity , give me your's to compare , you get second hand 60 T-72s from yemen 2003 , sign for 200 ukranian t72s in 2011 what else . i read also that ethiopian ground force lost a lot of tanks and life against small erythrean army in 1991 and 1999 conflict !

so i will stop here for words specially when my level of english is not good ( i speak algerian , arabic and french so i know very well all north african military website) , if we want to compare objectively we need the ethiopian su 27 sk config system , the t72s config numbers ect ...

but it's clear that morocco is far ahead in military capacity équipement, technology fleet . , maybe in ground ethiopian army is close

How do you know the number of Su-27 and the version used. I know at least the minimum number from serials of pictures taken but do not know the exact number and nobody has released the exact numbers. but you are also expert and have information on North Korea and China which even the leading intelligence agencies don't have information for - very entertaining.

Algeria has even less strategic significance than Morocco and has nothing in common with Russia, let alone be its strategic partner. Algeria does not have any manufacturing capability as its main supplier Russia is known for not willing to transfer technology even to its best clients like India with much more developed capability than Algeria. The lowest the Russians have gotten to is to the SKD level. An for sure Algeria does not produce helicopters, only South Africa has managed to do so in the continent. On the other hand, Ethiopia has a strategic partnership with China on political, diplomatic and increasingly defense ties as well and enjoys close relationship with Israel. It also has strong military relationship with Ukraine, Belarus and to a lesser extent, Russia as well. Ethiopia completely replaced its IFV, APC, and most of its heavy artillery and heavy vehicles, and acquired air defense from China; LAVs, UAVs and special forces materials from Israel and several other items from other countries which have not been reported and unknown until seen years later after its delivery. but still, nobody knows the specifications just by looking from outside.

For the last several years, reports have emerged about Egypt buying MIG-29 but not a single one has been operated by Egyptians. Having it reported in a fanboy magazine and actually operating it are two different matters. Also operationally, missions work differently than described on fanboy magazines. 6 F-16s and 4 Mirages will have to travel a long way (if you can read a map you can get an idea of the distance to operate), carry heavy loads of bombs and fuel tanks while Su-27s dedicated for air superiority will be waiting and operating over a terrain they know best. Yes, egypt has more F-16s than pilots but in war it only matters how you field your forces. Maybe that is why Egypt has accepted the Ethiopian dam and wants to work with Ethiopia.

so what if Morocco is on the other side of the Gibraltar? It can't unilaterally close the strait. The biggest loser will be Morocco itself which relies heavily on the European union for its economy. Also, NATO would take action and probably take away the Moroccan side as well. A precedent was set when Egypt tried to attempt that on the Suez channel which it own completely.

There is no doubt Morocco has a well rounded small tactical air force. Like the Ethiopian air force, it follows western approach for training, organization and doctrine. However, to suggest a small force with even the latest aircraft can simply defeat another also armed with a leading air superiority fighter is a huge of a stretch. On the other hand, Algerian air force has Su-30 but never had american training so it is under a disadvantage when it comes to Morocco.

Algeria does not manufacture any tank. Even the upgrades are kits that are just bolted on. On the other hand, Ethiopian fully re-manufactures the T-72 and willingness to transfer the technology to do so was the reason for the deal with Ukrainians. What is known is the T-72's engine has been upgraded with an engine with 40% more power, a new communication system, day/night sights and other mechanical changes to deal with the rough Ethiopian terrain. btw, Ethiopia never acquired a single tank from Yemen. The first T-72s were acquired from Ukraine as part of the agreement in 2011.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by DieVluit: 5:59am On Jun 08, 2016
Adminisher:

If you read this statement carefully, you will notice it is a "civilian: who prepared the statement. A civilian who does not know much about the military or weaponry.

The NDA are just a bunch of bullshitters out to make a fast buck

They aren't too much of bullshitters if they've managed to slip through soldier-guarded pipelines and destroy them. They aren't too much of bullshitters if the entire oil market worldwide is reeling cause of them.

They've thrown down the gauntlet to your military. "Civilian?? What, did you expect an NDA member to make such a statement?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 9:51am On Jun 08, 2016
SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONAL DEFENCE FORCE

India and Russia have in principle agreed to export the Brahmos anti-ship cruise missile to South Africa, according to Brahmos Aerospace.

Praveen Pathak, spokesman for BrahMos Aerospace told Russia’s TASS news agency on 27 May that India and Russia have agreed 'in principle' to export the missile to the UAE, Vietnam, South Africa and Chile.

"As far as the BrahMos missile is concerned, talks with countries like UAE, Chile, South Africa and Vietnam are in advanced stages," he said, adding that Brahmos Aerospace expects to sign a deal with the UAE by year-end.

The Brahmos missile was developed jointly by India’s Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and Russia’s NPO Mashinostroyenia (NPOM), and named after India's Brahmaputra river and Russia's Moscow river.

The missile has a range of up to 290 km and can travel at speeds of up to Mach 3, although an improved version (Brahmos-2) capable of up to Mach 6 is being tested.The ramjet-powered missile remains supersonic throughout its flight path, and is claimed to be the world’s fastest anti-ship cruise missile. It can be launched from land, aircraft, ships and submarines and carries a warhead weighing 200-300 kg. Brahmos Aerospace claims that, compared to existing subsonic cruise missiles, Brahmos has three times more velocity, 2.5 to three times more flight range, three to four times more seeker range and nine times more kinetic energy.

The weapon is in service with the Indian Army and Navy. India and Russia plan to export half of production.

It is not clear if South Africa has the money to purchase the Brahmos, or for what purpose. It is unlikely that such weapons would be fitted to the three new inshore and three offshore patrol vessels being acquired for the Navy under Project Biro. It is more likely that the Brahmos would be acquired to replace the Exocet missiles aboard the Navy’s four Valour class frigates.

South Africa acquired nine Exocet MM40 Block II and eight Exocet MM40 Block I missiles for the frigates. These may replace or augment the Exocets under Project Syne for the mid-life upgrade of the frigates.

The South African Navy plans to begin upgrade work in 2017, with work being carried out over a decade to extend the vessels’ service lives beyond 2035. It is not clear how much new equipment has been funded for this – the Department of Defence 2014/15 annual report said that “For maritime defence, the Department plans to acquire a hydrographic vessel and offshore patrol vessels, upgrade frigates and static communication for the SANavy, and replace the heavyweight torpedo capability,” but gave few other details.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 9:53am On Jun 08, 2016
Technology developed by the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) was integral to identifying and locating foreign trawlers fishing illegally in South Africa’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) last month.

The EEZ is more than one and a half million square kilometres of ocean home to a diverse and rich marine ecology, the Pretoria-headquartered national research organisation said. This makes it an easy target for illegal fishing because of the difficulty of effectively patrolling such a huge expanse of ocean. Illegal fishing vessels are able to hide in the deep ocean and remain undetected for months while stealing thousands of tons of fish, rightfully belonging to South Africa.

“Under a month ago a large fishing vessel was detected in the South African EEZ using CSIR developed technology,” said Dr Waldo Kleynhans, the man who invented what is now called SeaFAR.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 08, 2016
gasha91:

How do you know the number of Su-27 and the version used. I know at least the minimum number from serials of pictures taken but do not know the exact number and nobody has released the exact numbers. but you are also expert and have information on North Korea and China which even the leading intelligence agencies don't have information for - very entertaining.

Algeria has even less strategic significance than Morocco and has nothing in common with Russia, let alone be its strategic partner. Algeria does not have any manufacturing capability as its main supplier Russia is known for not willing to transfer technology even to its best clients like India with much more developed capability than Algeria. The lowest the Russians have gotten to is to the SKD level. An for sure Algeria does not produce helicopters, only South Africa has managed to do so in the continent. On the other hand, Ethiopia has a strategic partnership with China on political, diplomatic and increasingly defense ties as well and enjoys close relationship with Israel. It also has strong military relationship with Ukraine, Belarus and to a lesser extent, Russia as well. Ethiopia completely replaced its IFV, APC, and most of its heavy artillery and heavy vehicles, and acquired air defense from China; LAVs, UAVs and special forces materials from Israel and several other items from other countries which have not been reported and unknown until seen years later after its delivery. but still, nobody knows the specifications just by looking from outside.

For the last several years, reports have emerged about Egypt buying MIG-29 but not a single one has been operated by Egyptians. Having it reported in a fanboy magazine and actually operating it are two different matters. Also operationally, missions work differently than described on fanboy magazines. 6 F-16s and 4 Mirages will have to travel a long way (if you can read a map you can get an idea of the distance to operate), carry heavy loads of bombs and fuel tanks while Su-27s dedicated for air superiority will be waiting and operating over a terrain they know best. Yes, egypt has more F-16s than pilots but in war it only matters how you field your forces. Maybe that is why Egypt has accepted the Ethiopian dam and wants to work with Ethiopia.

so what if Morocco is on the other side of the Gibraltar? It can't unilaterally close the strait. The biggest loser will be Morocco itself which relies heavily on the European union for its economy. Also, NATO would take action and probably take away the Moroccan side as well. A precedent was set when Egypt tried to attempt that on the Suez channel which it own completely.

There is no doubt Morocco has a well rounded small tactical air force. Like the Ethiopian air force, it follows western approach for training, organization and doctrine. However, to suggest a small force with even the latest aircraft can simply defeat another also armed with a leading air superiority fighter is a huge of a stretch. On the other hand, Algerian air force has Su-30 but never had american training so it is under a disadvantage when it comes to Morocco.

Algeria does not manufacture any tank. Even the upgrades are kits that are just bolted on. On the other hand, Ethiopian fully re-manufactures the T-72 and willingness to transfer the technology to do so was the reason for the deal with Ukrainians. What is known is the T-72's engine has been upgraded with an engine with 40% more power, a new communication system, day/night sights and other mechanical changes to deal with the rough Ethiopian terrain. btw, Ethiopia never acquired a single tank from Yemen. The first T-72s were acquired from Ukraine as part of the agreement in 2011.

non sense and speech again with no stats ,report !

for algeria manifacture capacity juste google it to see , has the license to manufactur t72 , and t90 , you still with your dream that ethiopian creat the t72 from zero , funny it's also kit mounted do you think ethiopia build it's own shtora system , era, advanced electronics and other new technoogic equipement ? funny , they do the same what's is done in algeria , egypt (abrams) , it's also kit mounted for upgrades and heavy manitenance and build chassis , algeria build local IFV APC from tens years , has contract with germans to build ( fush2 ), upgrades and heavy maintenance for all its tanks APC ect (t72 , bmp's to Berezhok standard ) .. , helicopter algeria have an agusta westland manufacture and another eurocopter contract will be signed soon) , build corvettes ( jebel chenouia class , agerian design Hassan Barbia Class ) and have heavy maintenant to all others ships and submarins also , contract of building meko , c28 was signed we will see after , satellite build in algeria by algerian (Alsat-2B), build small planes based on the ZLIN-142 ( Firnas-142 and Safir-43 ) , UAV ( AL fajer L-10 , Amel) and a supersonic UAV in project , no need to talk about kaashnikov rpg ammo bullet proof vest and helmet , radio , night vision and advanced electronic equipment ect ..... and i forget a lot others things

for its strategic place for russia it seems you know nothing , russia for exemple from 1963 sent it's army in algeria in the algerian morroccan conflict and lost soldiers ! russia start supply egypt ( in the egyptian israelian war 73 ) with weapons and also send aircraft only after algerian president boumedienne go to moscou , algeria sir get the strategic russian weapon S300 , others new equipement always first delivry with china and india ,and we get the yak130 and panstir s1 "Janus version " before the russian army it self , must our graded military are formes in russia, algeria is the first strategic partner for russia in africa and middle east !

and whats this no sense of american training with our sukhoi30mka , and advantage to morocco because they got american traning , and ethiopian russian sukhoi 27s with western doctrine butter then the russian air force doctrine grin common !

an advice for you before talking about things you don't know ,you have internet so try to see other worlds military web site , and see what others country are doing , specialy when you seem don't know your own military equipment, industries and don't know a basic think like your numbers of sukhoi 27 SK and specifications !

i'm done no more for me , i will stop this non sens debate here , have a nice day
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by kizfaz: 7:02pm On Jun 08, 2016
I am still waiting to see the SOUTHAFRICAN Chief of Army Staff picture.... The man on the right is lt Gen Buratai... Nigerian Army COAS... #SpecialForces....

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by kizfaz: 7:07pm On Jun 08, 2016
Nigerian Soldier in the North Eastern part of Nigeria...... #WeDeyBoderBokoHaram.... Nigerians i hail una oo

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by gasha91: 5:16am On Jun 09, 2016
chkil:

non sense and speech again with no stats ,report !

for algeria manifacture capacity juste google it to see , has the license to manufactur t72 , and t90 , you still with your dream that ethiopian creat the t72 from zero , funny it's also kit mounted do you think ethiopia build it's own shtora system , era, advanced electronics and other new technoogic equipement ? funny , they do the same what's is done in algeria , egypt (abrams) , it's also kit mounted for upgrades and heavy manitenance and build chassis , algeria build local IFV APC from tens years , has contract with germans to build ( fush2 ), upgrades and heavy maintenance for all its tanks APC ect (t72 , bmp's to Berezhok standard ) .. , helicopter algeria have an agusta westland manufacture and another eurocopter contract will be signed soon) , build corvettes ( jebel chenouia class , agerian design Hassan Barbia Class ) and have heavy maintenant to all others ships and submarins also , contract of building meko , c28 was signed we will see after , satellite build in algeria by algerian (Alsat-2B), build small planes based on the ZLIN-142 ( Firnas-142 and Safir-43 ) , UAV ( AL fajer L-10 , Amel) and a supersonic UAV in project , no need to talk about kaashnikov rpg ammo bullet proof vest and helmet , radio , night vision and advanced electronic equipment ect ..... and i forget a lot others things

for its strategic place for russia it seems you know nothing , russia for exemple from 1963 sent it's army in algeria in the algerian morroccan conflict and lost soldiers ! russia start supply egypt ( in the egyptian israelian war 73 ) with weapons and also send aircraft only after algerian president boumedienne go to moscou , algeria sir get the strategic russian weapon S300 , others new equipement always first delivry with china and india ,and we get the yak130 and panstir s1 "Janus version " before the russian army it self , must our graded military are formes in russia, algeria is the first strategic partner for russia in africa and middle east !

and whats this no sense of american training with our sukhoi30mka , and advantage to morocco because they got american traning , and ethiopian russian sukhoi 27s with western doctrine butter then the russian air force doctrine grin common !

an advice for you before talking about things you don't know ,you have internet so try to see other worlds military web site , and see what others country are doing , specialy when you seem don't know your own military equipment, industries and don't know a basic think like your numbers of sukhoi 27 SK and specifications !

i'm done no more for me , i will stop this non sens debate here , have a nice day

It is clear you don't even understand Algeria's capability. The defense industry was formed in the last few years with joint ventures with other companies and it will take years before local personnel reach qualified level. That is exactly what the Germans said "progressively increase local capacity". At the current stage, it is just assembly. As I repeatedly said in my earlier posts, Russia has not been willing to transfer technology for manufacture of T-90 tanks, including to its most important client India, and has only been willing to agree to get to the SKD level. It is obvious you don't know much about it so I will simplify it for you. SKD means Semi-Knocked Down state where sub-assemblies are shipped in bulk and assembly done locally. The next stage from that is FKD which means Fully Knocked Down and shipment is at the parts. FKD requires significant technology transfer because you will have to make the sub-assemblies yourself. The biggest advantage of FKD is it allows you to substitute parts with your own. It requires complex inventory and supply management processes.

I never said Ethiopia manufactures T-72s. I only said Ethiopia has a capability to [b]RE-[/b]manufacture the T-72. Re-manufacturing requires you to get to the FKD level and in Ethiopia's case, significant modification has to be made since the main upgrade of the tank was related to the new power pack which required modifications in the engine compartment. As for the rest of the military equipment you listed, it is mostly license assembly with most important parts are shipped as kits. Ethiopia also has such capability with 110 factories organized under 12 industries. Also, unlike Algeria, all of Ethiopia's defense industry are fully self owned and the industry itself was set up in the 1980s.

I don't think you truly understand the meaning of strategic partnerships. 1. Russia is different than the Soviet Union 2. Using your own example, you have proved Algeria was less of a strategic partner than Ethiopia to the Soviets. During the 1977-78 invasion of Somalia, the Soviet made the largest weapons lift at the time where they delivered almost $~1 billion worth of arms (worth almost $4 billion in today's dollars) and organized a large Cuban force to help eject the Somalis. They also sent their deputy chief of staff, General Peterov, to serve as an adviser to the Ethiopian leader. That is what you call strategic partnerships. However, that was with the Soviet Union but not Russia. Today, Ethiopia's strategic relationship is with China which has poured billions into Ethiopia for infrastructure and support Chinese businesses start manufacturing industries resulting in large Chinese presence so much so there are direct flights to five Chinese cities on daily basis. That relationship has opened ways growing defense relations. Neither of that is present with Algeria be it with the Soviet Union or Russia. Stop deluding yourself thinking that way.

American training has proven to be far more superior to Russian training. Not a single American trained air force has lost to Russian/Soviet trained air force starting from Israel - Arab war (including Algerian pilots), Iran-Iraq war, Ethiopia-Somali war, etc. Even countries like Venezuela and Indonesia who bought Su-30s use western tactics and operational doctrine gained from operating their F-16s. That is something Algeria never had exposure to.

It is obvious you have a very limited knowledge of defense and international relations. There is no point continuing any conversations with you. You could have the conversation going forward and continue with your delusional rants.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 8:09am On Jun 09, 2016
South Africa in talks with India and Russia over Brahmos missile

India and Russia have in principle agreed to export the Brahmos anti-ship cruise missile to South Africa, according to Brahmos Aerospace.

Praveen Pathak, spokesman for BrahMos Aerospace told Russia’s TASS news agency on 27 May that India and Russia have agreed 'in principle' to export the missile to the UAE, Vietnam, South Africa and Chile.

"As far as the BrahMos missile is concerned, talks with countries like UAE, Chile, South Africa and Vietnam are in advanced stages," he said, adding that Brahmos Aerospace expects to sign a deal with the UAE by year-end.

The Brahmos missile was developed jointly by India’s Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and Russia’s NPO Mashinostroyenia (NPOM), and named after India's Brahmaputra river and Russia's Moscow river.

The missile has a range of up to 290 km and can travel at speeds of up to Mach 3, although an improved version (Brahmos-2) capable of up to Mach 6 is being tested.

The ramjet-powered missile remains supersonic throughout its flight path, and is claimed to be the world’s fastest anti-ship cruise missile. It can be launched from land, aircraft, ships and submarines and carries a warhead weighing 200-300 kg. Brahmos Aerospace claims that, compared to existing subsonic cruise missiles, Brahmos has three times more velocity, 2.5 to three times more flight range, three to four times more seeker range and nine times more kinetic energy.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 8:12am On Jun 09, 2016
Paramount unveils new Mbombe 8x8 infantry combat vehicle

Paramount Group has unveiled its 8x8 Mbombe 8 infantry combat vehicle, based on the earlier Mobmbe 6, at the Kazakhstan Defence Expo in that country’s capital Astana.

Paramount on 3 June said the new vehicle has a gross weight of 28 tonnes and kerb weight of 19 tonnes and payload of nine tonnes, which covers the weapon system, ammunition, crew and supplies. Eight dismounts can be accommodated in addition to three crewmembers.

A wide range of turrets and weapon stations can be integrated onto the vehicle, such as the Russian AU-220M remote turret armed with 57 mm cannon and a 7.62 mm machine gun. This was displayed on the vehicle in Kazakhstan.

The Mbombe 8 is powered by a cylinder engine turbo charged diesel engine driving a six speed automatic transmission, giving a maximum speed of 110km/h and a range of 800 km. The cooling systems and driveline have been tested and proven in winter conditions of -55 Celsius and desert conditions of +55 Celsius.

With the flat armoured floor of the Mbombe series, the new vehicle has STANAG 4569 Level 3+ ballistic protection and STANAG 4569 Level 4a and 4b blast protection.

PROUDLY SOUTH AFRICAN PRODUCT

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 12:11pm On Jun 09, 2016
Since I arrived in South Africa I have heard so many things about the South African Air Force, their new Hawk & Gripen aircraft programs and the controversial arms deal. Some even say that the SAAF do not have enough pilots to fly these jets while others say that there is simply no fuel available to fly at all. This is something I cannot believe and I decided to visit Air Force Base Makhado to test all these rumours myself.

My first visit was 85 Squadron (Combat Flying School) were pilots are introduced to jet aircraft and then trained on the Hawk to become fighter pilots. Students at this squadron mainly come from AFB Langebaan where they first completed their initial pilot's training and then passed a selection process to be trained as a fighter. I was extremely impressed by the members of this unit. It is sometimes said that there is no discipline in the defence force today and if I use 85 Squadron as a gauge of measurement, this is as far from the truth as can come. Although discipline in the military is usually a result of pressure, at 85 Squadron it is a result of absolute professionalism and respect for one another.

I attended the first squadron meeting of the day where all the planned activities are discussed, weather conditions are presents, BASH or “Bird Avoidance Safety Hazard” is emphasised and many other human resource matters are dealt with.

Next up was a training flight briefing session. Although Lt Cooper (Spartan) is the student in this exercise, he conducted the briefing. I found this method of training very interesting but liked the idea of allowing the student to present his knowledge rather than assuming that he grasped the concepts when someone else presents it. The officer commanding, Col Ogden was also part of this briefing, shared some of his own experienced ideas and also flew as instructor during the mission.

Timing and precision are two of the most important components during planning and execution of every mission. It is therefore critical that pilots synchronise their watches after every briefing or before every sortie.

With the exercise planned it was now time to fly it. This was going to be a dogfighting exercise with the students as the blue force in two Hawks fighting against the red force, a Hawk flown by two experienced fighter pilots. The students and instructors geared up and proceeded to the aircraft where a capable ground crew awaited them. Pre-flight checks were completed and I was heartbroken to stand on the ground while they taxied out without me.

Navigators and weapons officers are also trained at 85 Squadron and I met with Tessa Du Toit who would not trade this experience for the world. I could see the sparkle in her eyes during her briefing but more so after returning from her training flight.

http://pilotspost.co.za/arn0000089

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 12:18pm On Jun 09, 2016
The South African Army (SAA) has incorporated Saab Grintek's BattleTek IV command training system into its training and experimentation regime, including a proof-of-concept trial as part of the process of establishing a number of BattleLabs. It has also been used to support multinational command exercises in South Africa.

BattleTek is a constructive simulation system that provides training for headquarters staffs at both the tactical and operational levels. It is scalable and can support training down to platoon commander level. It is HLA-compliant and uses Saab's Widely Integrated Systems Environment (WISE) integration platform. It can therefore be integrated with and draw on other simulation systems, such as Bohemia Interactive Systems' Virtual Battle Space 3 (VBS 3). This enables units and platforms in BattleTek to be viewed as entities in the VBS virtual environment. This also enables it to be integrated with whichever command-and-control (C2) application is appropriate, allowing command post staff to train on their specific operational system.

The BattleLab trial included the establishment of an integrated Live, Virtual, and Constructive (LVC) construct, consisting of BattleTek IV, VBS3, and Saab's laser-based Gamer live training system, across three dispersed locations: the School of Infantry at Oudtshoorn, the School of Armour at Bloemfontein, and the Army College in Pretoria. It also included the integration of BattleTek IV with the SAA's Chaka battle management system so that tactical activity generated by the BattleTek simulation was displayed in the tactical picture shown in Chaka.

http://www.janes.com/article/59834/south-africa-trials-battletek-command-training-system
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jun 09, 2016
patches689:
13 Gripen operational, rest in rotation - finally, rumors about the number of SAAF Grip pilots can be put to bed
http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=43839:13-of-26-saaf-gripens-are-active-the-rest-are-in-rotational-storage&catid=35:Aerospace&Itemid=107

Also, the 10 SAAF personel sent to Russia are there to receive basic flight training

You have 5 Gripen pilots this is a statistical fact. Don't try to deceive yourself with any hubris.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2933) (2934) (2935) (2936) (2937) (2938) (2939) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.