Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,521 members, 7,812,627 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:24 PM

Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? - Nairaland / General (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? (15052 Views)

African Leaders Criticize Icc For Bias Against Continent; Plans To Withdraw / What Is Wrong With Some Nairalanders ? / Which Of The Following Nairalanders Have The Sharpest Minds? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by dayokanu(m): 5:31pm On Mar 24, 2010
Lies !!!
You spend $2000 on drinks every weekend.

I only drink water and it doesnt cost $2000 or are you insinuating that you bought water worth of $2000 in Abuja from Mai ruwa?
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Mar 24, 2010
^^^^
I don't do mai ruwa.
I live in a very decent neighbourhood.

Ok, so you spend $2,000 for your babes hair and grooming every week. wink
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by debosky(m): 5:46pm On Mar 24, 2010
See all these rich people swapping stories. . . .abeg show us the way oh!!

My brothers abroad are tired of shitpacking duties.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by chic2pimp(m): 5:53pm On Mar 24, 2010
debosky:

Nah wetin I dey talk be dat ooo undecided undecided
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by dayokanu(m): 5:57pm On Mar 24, 2010
Make bluediva show us way she dey talk long story.

Abeg Bluediva, "Mo n wa se labe yin o" Can i work under you?
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Sauron1: 6:01pm On Mar 24, 2010
debosky:

That is a lie - is the person doing 24 hour shifts daily? grin

U need to expand your horizon.
Ordinary UK plumbers make more money than most Chief Executives in Naija.

Abegi there is no place like home. . . . .naija is the BEST. cool

Naija is no home. . . . .Naija na jungle.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Mar 24, 2010
@DK,
Lol. . .

Since naija is a jungle can you and Sauron send me an iv and tickets to come over?
I can do sh.it biz too. . .pleasssse
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by yme1(f): 6:18pm On Mar 24, 2010
~Sauron~:

Naija is no home. . . . .Naija na jungle.
and here was i thinking you love jungles SHARON STONE cheesy

debosky:

cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by dayokanu(m): 6:19pm On Mar 24, 2010
U need to expand your horizon.
Ordinary UK plumbers make more money than most Chief Executives in Naija.

You mean the corpse washers and shit packers make enough money to fend for themselves and even send Western union home monthly to the millionaires in naija.

I am missing something here someone is not giving the right picture.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 6:28pm On Mar 24, 2010
dayokanu:

You mean the corpse washers and poo packers make enough money to fend for themselves and even send Western union home monthly to the millionaires in naija.

I am missing something here someone is not giving the right picture.

Dies

Chai! Dayo u realize that white ppl poo and black ppl poo smell different? grin grin - Job Experience
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Freiburger(m): 7:31pm On Mar 24, 2010
BlueDiva:

@DK,
Lol. . .

Since naija is a jungle can you and Sauron send me an iv and tickets to come over?
I can do sh.it biz too. . .pleasssse

Come do watin here? washing corpse?
My sister there is nothing good like saying the truth sometimes.
I just found out that u 're a sister.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by JoeGaruba: 4:17am On Mar 25, 2010
Its undeniable that there is beef for 9ja abroad. Its a 9ja factor. Being rich is not enough for us, we have to have more than other rich guys. The OP was right. The vitriol that has characterised the responses is more than enough proof.
That's why the west is different. There is little or no PhD (pull him down).

There are however those abroad who have condescending attitude too. Those are in the minority as far as I know.

At this rate, even when our successful citizens return home, we definitely will have this same "what makes you better than me complex" I have seen it even in multi national companies in Lagos.

Sad.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 4:25am On Mar 25, 2010
JoeGaruba:

Its undeniable that there is beef for 9ja abroad. Its a 9ja factor. Being rich is not enough for us, we have to have more than other rich guys. The OP was right. The vitriol that has characterised the responses is more than enough proof.

There are however those abroad who have condescending attitude too. Those are in the minority as far as I know.

At this rate, even when our successful citizens return home, we definitely will have this same "what makes you better than me complex" I have seen it even in multi national companies in Lagos.

Sad.

And who told you that even 50% of naija abroad are rich?

Dont get comfort-ability confused with wealth.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Abygul(f): 9:31am On Mar 25, 2010
come on dnt be a stingy person all she wantis just an iv and ticket u mite b washin corpse and she get dere and find a beha job at mac donalds or M & S GIVE A BRO OR A SIS LIKE U CLAIM hand now aaM SURE SHE WILL APRCIATE
Freiburger:

Come do watin here? washing corpse?
My sister there is nothing good like saying the truth sometimes.
I just found out that u 're a sister.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by ogajim(m): 3:42pm On Mar 25, 2010
Is this JEALOUSY that I am sensing from our brothers and sisters back home? Say it ain't so! shocked shocked shocked shocked

There are two classes of Nigerians - Those that can MAKE it anywhere and those that CAN'T make it anywhere.

It is STUPID/IGNORANT of anyone (NIN or NID) to assume that we all do the same job though I don't see any problem in doing any job that pays your bills, it beats stealing, 419, etc. The ones with the "condescending attitude" when they visit Nigeria probably do the same thing where they live, we are fond of boasting about "making it", "mad money" and what have you without realizing that not all of us are money hungry to the point of losing our moral compass or offend our God. Only kids believe money to be everything, we have to have "made" it in Nigeria at some point to be able to get out and who is to say we can't make it now if we choose to?

If you live outside Nigeria for a minute, you will realize the wasted opportunity that is Nigeria! I came back a couple of weeks ago and what can I say? Every time I've visited in the last 20 years, the country seems worse off than the last visit. Who wants to live in a place where only a FEW gets to live right?

We need to forgive Abygul and debosky, Generator noise has done a number on their thinking, Abygul can't even type straight English anymore it seems grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Mar 25, 2010
Abygul:

come on dnt be a stingy person all she wantis just an iv and ticket u mite b washin corpse and she get dere and find a beha job at mac donalds or M & S GIVE A BRO OR A SIS LIKE U CLAIM hand now aaM SURE SHE WILL APRCIATE

Please speak proper English, I mean Queens English, grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Mar 25, 2010
If you live outside Nigeria for a minute, you will realize the wasted opportunity that is Nigeria! I came back a couple of weeks ago and what can I say? Every time I've visited in the last 20 years, the country seems worse off than the last visit. Who wants to live in a place where only a FEW gets to live right?

Colonial mentality.
What are you doing to improve the land?

Don't you have family in Nigeria?
Who are you waiting for to change Naija for you?
When repaired you will now come back and reap what you didn't sow? Selfish man. angry
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Abygul(f): 4:53pm On Mar 25, 2010
JoeGaruba:

Sad.
ogajim:

Is this JEALOUSY that I am sensing from our brothers and sisters back home? Say it ain't so! shocked shocked shocked shocked

There are two classes of Nigerians - Those that can MAKE it anywhere and those that CAN'T make it anywhere.

It is silly/IGNORANT of anyone (NIN or NID) to assume that we all do the same job though I don't see any problem in doing any job that pays your bills, it beats stealing, 419, etc. The ones with the "condescending attitude" when they visit Nigeria probably do the same thing where they live, we are fond of boasting about "making it", "mad money" and what have you without realizing that not all of us are money hungry to the point of losing our moral compass or offend our God. Only kids believe money to be everything, we have to have "made" it in Nigeria at some point to be able to get out and who is to say we can't make it now if we choose to?

We need to forgive Abygul and debosky, Generator noise has done a number on their thinking, Abygul can't even type straight English anymore it seems grin
what a big mistake u are makin what part of d english, is it u dnt understand.lol kiss i see u won make i dey blow gramma way u speak d last tym and almost all d pple dat boaded the plane wit u got deported.common dnt b a snitch .

Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Mar 25, 2010
i thot this thread had died. NINs and NIDs still battling it out eh? grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Abygul(f): 4:59pm On Mar 25, 2010
which 1 is d queen english.u can only bath like tomorow wnt com but u can neva b white my guy.mind u dey wnt stop discriminatin u guys alwaz,talk abt racism dey will alwz b no 1.guess dey av impacted som into thank GOD it only generators noise dat make my head spin but uuuuuuuuuuu common QUEEN english .i mean we ar all just sharin our views. grin
frosbel:

Please speak proper English, I mean Queens English, grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by ogajim(m): 5:56pm On Mar 25, 2010
BlueDiva:

Colonial mentality.
What are you doing to improve the land?

Don't you have family in Nigeria?
Who are you waiting for to change Naija for you?
When repaired you will now come back and reap what you didn't sow? Selfish man.  angry

Me selfish with what now, my time? I have no desire to return there at this time, maybe when I retire I will think of spending parts of the year in my village house. I already need a visa to come there so I am not hoping to reap where I didn't sow, reserve that to the kids of those guys ripping the country off.
I have worked to "improve" my village plot, beyond that, you take it from there " omo no oba uku akpolo kpolo" cheesy cheesy cheesy

Folks who moved there with the aim of bringing "change" either get killed, kidnapped, etc and that my dear sister is not my portion in Jesus name, amen.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by JoeGaruba: 6:00pm On Mar 25, 2010
FL Gators

Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ?
« #588 on: Today at 04:25:27 AM »

Quote from: JoeGaruba on Today at 04:17:05 AM

Sad.

And who told you that even 50% of naija abroad are rich? Huh

Dont get comfort-ability confused with wealth.

There is no part of my post that implies that those abroad are richer and certainly I did not have any statistic in there. My point is, even when you are rich, you still want to appear better than the next rich guy. This is where the Acquired Bad Belle Syndrome (ABBS) stems from. A larger percentage of those abroad are not rich, just as much as many are struggling to eke out a living in 9ja.

A Short story to illustrate my point:
A teacher once invited old students for tea/coffee and placed different types of mugs on the table. There was a scramble to get the best looking ones to use by the old students. Even after selecting what they thought was best for them,  they still went on to admire the next guy's mug. The mug adds no value to the coffee. It just shows we are never satisfied till we look better than the next guy even when we have the same thing.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by ogajim(m): 6:49pm On Mar 25, 2010
JoeGaruba (  undecided )

You raised some valid points in your original post, Contentment is a thing adults ought to learn and teach their kids as well. Money doesn't make a large number of people, GREED is a DISEASE (one needs to look no further than Nigeria), there's no point in having all this money when almost everyone around you are broke, you wonder why crime has climbed new levels?

It is easy to attack NIDs who point out the ills but admire the ones around you in Nigeria simply because they have "made it" no matter how they got there.

Abygul:

what a big mistake u are makin what part of d english, is it u dnt understand.lol Kiss i see u won make i dey blow gramma way u speak d last tym and almost all d pple dat boaded the plane wit u got deported.common dnt b a snitch .

Don't tell me "Abygul" is incapable of posting in STRAIGHT English, your ISP charges by the letter? drop the pipe 'baby girl' don't make mockery out of folks who tried to leave Nigeria only to get deported, some of them probably wanted no part of Nigeria, post something we can all comprehend without a pipe or Odeku in hand cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by JoeGaruba: 6:57pm On Mar 25, 2010
^^^^ True sir, or else how can you explain politicians stealing so much money that three generations cant spend?

I don't want the kind of money that I will not be able to go and chop pepper soup for joint without fear of being kidnapped or robbed.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Abygul(f): 4:17pm On Jun 24, 2010
mehn so dis trend still ey xist na wa oooo shocked
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by tpia5: 9:32am On Jul 31, 2012
i've noticed most of the biases on nl tend to directly mirror seun and mukina's personal ones.

thus, you have anti-nigerian women bias, anti-yoruba bias (men and/or women), anti-christian bias, anti-some poster bias, etc.

its like they have armies, or almajiris who fight on their behalf.

undecided

and that's why they encourage the same.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 2:45am On Aug 13, 2012
frosbel: I have noticed with many comments here on Nairaland  , that Nigerians in Diaspora tend to get insulted , abused and maligned when making comments that do not fit into the perspective of some Nairalanders.

Insults start flying around such as :

[size=18pt]'go back to your one room rented apartment '

'go back to your beat'

' has your visa expired'

'when were you last home'

and a barage of more graphic abuse.
[/size]

I have set up a poll to understand why such anger and hatred is channelled towards us Nigerians who are very hardworking and live abroad hoping to make a positive contribution to our country .

What are your thoughts ?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

truth be told some foreigners (including myself sometimes) and 9ja folks abroad don't know how to comport themselves on here and act like being overseas is the best thing since the creation of Earth, therefore they get the backlash
and insults.

Of course not all are like that however, one spoiled Apple can discredit an entire orchard.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Biography Of Babajide Sanwo-olu And His Wife Dr Mrs Ibijoke Sanwo-olu / Censorship: Good or Bad? / One Injured As Explosion Rocks Osun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.