Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,557 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? - Nairaland / General (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? (15103 Views)

African Leaders Criticize Icc For Bias Against Continent; Plans To Withdraw / What Is Wrong With Some Nairalanders ? / Which Of The Following Nairalanders Have The Sharpest Minds? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 10:32am On Mar 24, 2010
honeric01:

u aint getting my point, see if ppl would stay in Iraq in the midst of security threat, why not Nigeria? what i'm saying is that the economy is a very lucrative aspect of Nigeria and those who understands that department would in no way trade it for us/uk visas.

The Nigerian economy is very lucrative, we have heard that a thousand times over, its a well know fact that Nigeria is the second largest economy in Africa but how come all we see if abject poverty ?

I do not base the success of a country by the wealth of a privileged few. On the contrary a fair and equitable society is one that should be our collective goal.

For example in a successful society:

- The common man is assured that if he works hard he will eat
- That no matter how poor you are, you will get affordable housing.
- Graduates can leave school and be assured of a good job
- There is the infrastructure to support businesses and industry
- Social service permeates every strata of society and caters for the less privileged, downtrodden, abused and disabled

The list is endless.

But most important of all for those of us who have moral ethic, we do not have to bribe our way to success or grease the hands of some decadent individual so that we can feed our children.

Our wealth or income is not linked to some narcissist boss or chairman.

I could go on and on but I think these points will suffice for now.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Abygul(f): 10:33am On Mar 24, 2010
frosbel:

sorry but quote me if I am wrong , is it Lagos that I visited last year and spent only three days before fleeing to my beloved Owerri.

Lagos is improving in some respects VI, Ikoyi an a few others but it is still in a total chaotic state to say the least.

Why do I want to spend my entire day commuting to work combined with a stressful day in the office for money that if I earn plenty will endear me to the men of the underworld and other hangers on.

God forbid that we should relocate to work in a country where the mentality is still the same with no forward thinking.

abeg jo, leave us alone.
ahahaahah  dnt worry immigration will soon start again all of una go dey look for were to hide no work for some days all quit d job because u don dey hear say immegration dey com.hahaha but for ur fatherland na who b immigration wen u ur self na immggrant.hahahaha run run run ile labo simi oko
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by eldee(m): 10:40am On Mar 24, 2010
frosbel:

You think?? How about the bankers that crippled the economy and made many people lose their jobs all because of greed??

Don't let capitalism blind you . . . you're working for the guys at the top . . .and your false class consciousness is how they hold you down.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by eldee(m): 10:42am On Mar 24, 2010
Abygul:

ahahaahah  dnt worry immigration will soon start again all of una go dey look for were to hide no work for some days all quit d job because u don dey hear say immegration dey com.hahaha but for your fatherland na who b immigration wen u your self na immggrant.hahahaha run run run ile labo simi oko

You guys seem to believe that Nigerians over here are illegal immigrants.
Y'all need to get your facts right abeg.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 10:44am On Mar 24, 2010
eldee:

You think?? How about the bankers that crippled the economy and made many people lose their jobs all because of greed??

Don't let capitalism blind you . . . you're working for the guys at the top . . .and your false class consciousness is how they hold you down.

But I am working, I am paid on time, I am seeing my money , my kids are comfortable and so is my woman.

What else do i want ?

The typical Nigerian mentality to make much more and start flaunting it back home ?

Abeg leave me jo, each man for him own.  

the bible says that 'godliness with contentment is great gain', thats my life motto.

Thanks,
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Abygul(f): 10:47am On Mar 24, 2010
we all knw dat am sure u ar nt a citizen prob u went dere to study or somftin but dat doesnt make u 1 of dem.wake up bath from morning till nite u cant b dem .
eldee:

Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 10:50am On Mar 24, 2010
Abygul:

ahahaahah  dnt worry immigration will soon start again all of una go dey look for were to hide no work for some days all quit d job because u don dey hear say immegration dey com.hahaha but for your fatherland na who b immigration wen u your self na immggrant.hahahaha run run run ile labo simi oko

Lol, I am a dual national with English and Nigerian heritage which I am proud of.

By the way everybody is an immigrant in a way and immigration and emigration are facts of history and based on proven economic principles. So its no big deal. If you are from Ogun state but live in Lagos you are an immigrant,  grin grin.

And yes we will all run back home when we see real leadership and proper infrastructural development .
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by eldee(m): 10:57am On Mar 24, 2010
frosbel:

But I am working, I am paid on time, I am seeing my money , my kids are comfortable and so is my woman.

What else do i want ?

The typical Nigerian mentality to make much more and start flaunting it back home ?

Abeg leave me jo, each man for him own.  

the bible says that 'godliness with contentment is great gain', thats my life motto.

Thanks,

It's not flaunting when you're spending within your means.
In the UK, any 0.00001% change in interest rates scares you guys silly cheesy cheesy

The UK is a farce . . . they get you to think you're comfortable.

You think you own your house, but nah, mess up and they take it from you.
You think your car is yours but get a couple of points and you lose your right to drive. . .speed tickets, parking charges, congestion charge, insurance . . . all because you committed the crime of buying a car.
You think your salary's yours till they tax you on errfin . . .
Even the weather is an effing joke.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by honeric01(m): 10:58am On Mar 24, 2010
frosbel:

The Nigerian economy is very lucrative, we have heard that a thousand times over, its a well know fact that Nigeria is the second largest economy in Africa but how come all we see if abject poverty ?

I do not base the success of a country by the wealth of a privileged few. On the contrary a fair and equitable society is one that should be our collective goal.

- The common man is assured that if he works hard he will eat
- Social service permeates every strata of society and caters for the less privileged, downtrodden, abused and disabled

The list is endless.

But most important of all for those of us who have moral ethic, we do not have to bribe our way to success or grease the hands of some decadent individual so that we can feed our children.

I could go on and on but I think these points will suffice for now.

If you took time to read my short post, you'd see that i already made "provision" for all the "but" you just highlighted, what i said was and is "those who understands that department would in no way trade it for us/uk visas." it's not my fault that some don't know what to do with opportunities, some wouldn't even be able to spend $50,000 if given to them, so it all depends on enlightenment. since we all know the government has failed, why not work out things on your own? make a mountain out of an ""ANT" hole.

I am someone who refuses to dwell on the negativity of things/people/environment around me, i prefer to stay positive and it's helping even though it's hard.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by eldee(m): 11:00am On Mar 24, 2010
Abygul:

we all knw dat am sure u ar nt a citizen prob u went dere to study or somftin but dat doesnt make u 1 of dem.wake up bath from morning till nite u cant b dem .

Oh . . . this is the part where I'm meant to start explaining how you get you papers from your parents.
I thought Bluediva explained that already??
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by debosky(m): 11:05am On Mar 24, 2010
Abygul:

Post in English Language please, and not text speak!

All Nigerians (we at home and those abroad) need to work together to improve the country. HOWEVER - if we keep deluding ourselves that 'things aren't that bad' because a few people are able to make stupendous wealth (often to the detriment of the unconnected and unprivileged majority) then we are definitely going to get much worse.

The issue here for me is not about 'dying for UK/US visas' but how can we make things better overall and not just for ourselves/family?

I understand in the awful circumstances the country is in as a whole the tendency is to focus on self, but we need to somehow move away from that.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Badriyyah(f): 11:05am On Mar 24, 2010
Abygul:

Your location is UK, So I guess you're speaking from experience, Awwww, don't worry, I feel your pain.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Abygul(f): 11:27am On Mar 24, 2010
debosky:

All Nigerians (we at home and those abroad) need to work together to improve the country. HOWEVER - if we keep deluding ourselves that 'things aren't that bad' because a few people are able to make stupendous wealth (often to the detriment of the unconnected and unprivileged majority) then we are definitely going to get much worse.

The issue here for me is not about 'dying for UK/US visas' but how can we make things better overall and not just for ourselves/family?

I understand in the awful circumstances the country is in as a whole the tendency is to focus on self, but we need to somehow move away from that.
Badriyyah:

Your location is UK, So I guess you're speaking from experience, Awwww, don't worry, I feel your pain.
hahahahsorry for uuuuuuuuuu am back and workin in ma home country mahnnnn now i feel good comin to say a heelo to dem evry summa, u missed sorry now i can feel ur deepest fear and pain.av bein dere av done it , av seen and i knw hw it feels sooooo quit all dis tolk of shit in here
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Abygul(f): 11:36am On Mar 24, 2010
honeric01:

If you took time to read my short post, you'd see that i already made "provision" for all the "but" you just highlighted, what i said was and is "those who understands that department would in no way trade it for us/uk visas." it's not my fault that some don't know what to do with opportunities, some wouldn't even be able to spend $50,000 if given to them, so it all depends on enlightenment. since we all know the government has failed, why not work out things on your own? make a mountain out of an ""ANT" hole.

I am someone who refuses to dwell on the negativity of things/people/environment around me, i prefer to stay positive and it's helping even though it's hard.
eldee:

Oh . . . this is the part where I'm meant to start explaining how you get you papers from your parents.
I thought Bluediva explained that already??
wao u feel u shld wag ur mouth ahnnnnnn for u info aint usin ma mum tingy went dere ma self wit d rit doc.so am sure it bein bad for uuuuuu dat y u want to crip wolk on dis topic lol sorry abt dat cry
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Badriyyah(f): 11:44am On Mar 24, 2010
Abygul:

hahahahsorry for uuuuuuuuuu am back and workin in ma home country mahnnnn now i feel good comin to say a heelo to dem evry summa, u missed sorry now i can feel your deepest fear and pain.av bein dere av done it , av seen and i knw hw it feels sooooo quit all dis tolk of poo in here

LoL, From reading your posts, I doubt that job isn't special. Fear of what? Like I said, you must be speaking from personal experience, it's not my fault you were illegal. I am also in my Home country, thank God for dual heritage. Stop being a bitter person, just because your life sucked when you were here doesn't mean it sucks for everyone else.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by eldee(m): 11:49am On Mar 24, 2010
Abygul:

wao u feel u shld wag your mouth ahnnnnnn for u info aint usin ma mum tingy went dere ma self wit d rit doc.so am sure it bein bad for uuuuuu dat y u want to crip wolk on dis topic lol sorry abt dat cry

Wag my mouth?? You just implied that I was an illegal immigrant and I cured your blindness and now you're boasting about your visiting visa??

You musta been a TV star in the UK, come to think of it, I think I saw your face on UK Border Force. grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by debosky(m): 11:53am On Mar 24, 2010
eldee:

Wag my mouth?? You just implied that I was an illegal immigrant and I cured your blindness and now you're boasting about your visiting visa??

You musta been a TV star in the UK, come to think of it, I think I saw your face on UK Border Force. grin grin grin

shocked shocked grin grin cheesy

Everyone wants to claim they've been there and done that. . . .even those whose only experience of Murtala Muhammed Airport is as a bus stop they pass through on their way to Oshodi every day. sad
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 11:57am On Mar 24, 2010
In the UK, any 0.00001% change in interest rates scares you guys silly cheesy cheesy

Does not scare me, I have a good income by God's grace

The UK is a farce . . . they get you to think you're comfortable.

Comfortable ? What do you classify as comfortable ?

I can plan my time better, go back home after a hard days work to a warm, peaceful home.

You think you own your house, but nah, mess up and they take it from you.

Ehm, some of us who came to the UK in the 90s have  already finished paying for their houses  

You think your car is yours but get a couple of points and you lose your right to drive. . .speed tickets, parking charges, congestion charge, insurance . . . all because you committed the crime of buying a car.

I have a clean driving license, I am not a speed racer, lol.   grin grin And by the way for the records you only lose your license if you :

- Drink drive
- Kill someone
- Accumulate up to 12 points ( If someone gets to this point they must be real mumus

The good thing about all these initiatives like congestion charges etc is that it keeps the busy cities from getting too clogged with congestion, people are not allowed to just park anywhere like in Lagos. It also reduces pollutuion.

You think your salary's yours till they tax you on errfin .

I agree with this point but it is the taxes that makes the country what it is, good police force, security, roads, round the clock water and electric supply, helping the jobless and disabled, average but relaible health service etc etc etc etc
. .
Even the weather is an effing joke.

Lol. Have you heard of autumn, spring and summer ? Wonderful. And you can travel to any part of Europe of the US without any qualms

Winter is not great but the kids love the snow  grin grin.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 11:58am On Mar 24, 2010
@debo and fredi- u will keep talking forever and they will never get it.
Nigeria will never change, Money without security is nothing
see what happened in the great depression? grin
when naira plummets because the poor are tired of being poor we will see who will be seeking visas grin grin

Rich indeed!
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by blinx4real(m): 12:03pm On Mar 24, 2010
The answers are simple enuff,
1. You talk about things you don't fully understand
2. You make foolish and unrealistic demands that you wouldn't dare do even in the western countries you are holed up in
3. Your tribal sentiments becloud your better judgement failing to realise that when nigeria breaks up ur families here will also suffer and you will become a people without a nation,
do you want more?

The bottom line is that you all wherever you are should try to make nigeria better not project when we shall fail!
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by eldee(m): 12:05pm On Mar 24, 2010
frosbel:

Does not scare me, I have a good income by God's grace

Comfortable ? What do you classify as comfortable ?

I can plan my time better, go back home after a hard days work to a warm, peaceful home.

Ehm, some of us who came to the UK in the 90s have  already finished paying for their houses  

I have a clean driving license, I am not a speed racer, lol.   grin grin And by the way for the records you only lose your license if you :

- Drink drive
- Kill someone
- Accumulate up to 12 points ( If someone gets to this point they must be real mumus

The good thing about all these initiatives like congestion charges etc is that it keeps the busy cities from getting too clogged with congestion, people are not allowed to just park anywhere like in Lagos. It also reduces pollutuion.

I agree with this point but it is the taxes that makes the country what it is, good police force, security, roads, round the clock water and electric supply, helping the jobless and disabled, average but relaible health service etc etc etc etc
. .
Lol. Have you heard of autumn, spring and summer ? Wonderful. And you can travel to any part of Europe of the US without any qualms

Winter is not great but the kids love the snow  grin grin.

You were accusing the Nigerians of being selfish and now you're doing exactly the same.

'I've paid for my house already', 'I can travel to the US', 'Tax issues don't scare me', 'I have a job that doesn't get affected by interest rates'.

You see what they mean by 'the beautiful ones are not yet born'??
Now when Bluediva talks about how she's got a bigger house, a peach weather, nice cars and everything the average NID doesn't get, you call her selfish.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Mar 24, 2010
eldee:

You were accusing the Nigerians of being selfish and now you're doing exactly the same.
'I've paid for my house already', 'I can travel to the US', 'Tax issues don't scare me', 'I have a job that doesn't get affected by interest rates'.

You see what they mean by 'the beautiful ones are not yet born'??
Now when Bluediva talks about how she's got a bigger house, a peach weather, nice cars and everything the average NID doesn't get, you call her selfish.

eldee, please tell me where I boasted ?

I was only replying to your comments, I never boasted about having a mansion ( it may even be a small room that I bought, lol,lol  grin grin), I never told you what car I drive or how much I earn.

I believe these issues are very trivial.

When I say taxes do not scare me, what I mean is that there is nothing I can do about it so I live with it.

'I have a job that doesn't get affected by interest rates'.

So you are also a liar, please tell me where I mentioned this ?
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Abygul(f): 12:41pm On Mar 24, 2010
eldee:

smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
funny ahn a visitin citizen wiv a red P. hahahah i see now u make me sick.i wish to settle here cos av got good offer here am sure u dnt knw wot it feel like travellin evry summer and spendin at least 2 month witout workin dere am sure u know d cost of ticket ,av got a home d shopins and all 4 two good month com on i knw what am tolkin abt.and mind u, u are bgin to take dis personal my dear dnt take tins personal here we are only sharin views if u say av not bein to d airport b4 i blive emty head makes lousy noise so am not here to publish if am a nigerian or uk citizen soryy doeeee undecided find a beha job in nigeria and u nget a good offer blive me or prob u came out wiv a bd grade in sch but com to tink of it u can make amends wiv prof. course u knw and dere u are ,u get a good job .
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Mar 24, 2010

The common man is assured that if he works hard he will eat

these are not guaranteed anywhere in the world. are there no homeless in america? what of current unemployment rates

the only statement here that holds 100% is that there is infrastructure to support businesses and industry. you're going overboard in your bid to paint the diaspora as utopia.

Our wealth or income is not linked to some narcissist boss or chairman

for someone  in britain - land of eton , old boy networks and class stratification, thats pretty rich
connnections exist everywhere, its just that oyibos are more subtle and refined about the way they go about it.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by eldee(m): 12:53pm On Mar 24, 2010
oyb:

[b]for someone  in britain - land of eton , old boy networks and class stratification, thats pretty rich
[/b]connnections exist everywhere, its just that oyibos are more subtle and refined about the way they go about it.

I was about to bring that up. . . Eton has produced eighteen of the UK's Prime Ministers.
We are being ruled by Ox-bridge's student union.
Remember the Geordie girl with five A's in A-levels and couldn't get into Oxford for no apparent reason??

The false class-consciousness in the UK is alarming.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by eldee(m): 1:01pm On Mar 24, 2010
frosbel:

eldee, please tell me where I boasted ?

I was only replying to your comments, I never boasted about having a mansion ( it may even be a small room that I bought, lol,lol  grin grin), I never told you what car I drive or how much I earn.

I believe these issues are very trivial.

When I say taxes do not scare me, what I mean is that there is nothing I can do about it so I live with it.

I never said you boasted, I said you were being selfish.
You're playing the 'Ignorance is bliss' thing . . .it doesn't affect me, so it doesn't exist.

You're no different from people like me that would rather sit in a Jeep and not care about the traffic.
Getting a driver is about 10,000 per month . . .

And yeah, you implied that you weren't affected by changes in interest rates . . . 'Doesn't scare me, I have a good income by God's grace'

Abygul:

smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
funny ahn a visitin citizen wiv a red P. hahahah i see now u make me sick.i wish to settle here cos av got good offer here am sure u dnt knw wot it feel like travellin evry summer and spendin at least 2 month witout workin dere am sure u know d cost of ticket ,av got a home d shopins and all 4 two good month com on i knw what am tolkin abt.and mind u, u are bgin to take dis personal my dear dnt take tins personal here we are only sharin views if u say av not bein to d airport b4 i blive emty head makes lousy noise so am not here to publish if am a nigerian or uk citizen soryy doeeee undecided find a beha job in nigeria and u nget a good offer blive me or prob u came out wiv a bd grade in sch but com to tink of it u can make amends wiv prof. course u knw and dere u are ,u get a good job .

I'm taking it personal?? You called me an illegal immigrant . . .
I'm done with this.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by spikedcylinder: 1:29pm On Mar 24, 2010
Una still dey hia?
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by GEW: 1:50pm On Mar 24, 2010
debosky:

shocked shocked  grin grin cheesy

Everyone wants to claim they've been there and done that. . . .even those whose only experience of Murtala Muhammed Airport is as a bus stop they pass through on their way to Oshodi every day.  sad
chei this is bad belle against a brother
debosky:

the reason why most nigerians defend the evil/ wicked people ruining the place is they will do worse if given the opportunity.  we deserve these wicked people ruining/ rulling the place
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by jaybee3(m): 1:54pm On Mar 24, 2010
na wa oh.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Abygul(f): 2:29pm On Mar 24, 2010
@ elddee k no vex u no b immigrant but remember aom1 mad a statement dat we are all immigrant u knw it just dat d US AND UK own tick pass nija own.ok sorry cos i can see u don dey boil but nxt tym say ur peace and live d rest to GOD like am goin to do now
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by eldee(m): 2:32pm On Mar 24, 2010
Abygul:

@ elddee k no vex u no b immigrant but remember aom1 mad a statement dat we are all immigrant u knw it just dat d US AND UK own tick pass nija own.ok sorry cos i can see u don dey boil but nxt tym say your peace and live d rest to GOD like am goin to do now

I don't mind you taking things personal . . . but what I say after that shouldn't be affecting you.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Abygul(f): 2:37pm On Mar 24, 2010
i can see u ar seriously angry ok vex naaaaaaaaa.ok
can we be good friends.for a start were ar u
eldee:

I don't mind you taking things personal . . . but what I say after that shouldn't be affecting you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

5 Simple Goals You Can Still Achieve This Year / How Do You Control Your Anger When Seriously Provoked? / Fingering And Masterbation: Cons And Pros

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.