Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,442 members, 7,812,326 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:41 AM

I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! (75301 Views)

Anioma/Asaba People Are Not Igbo / Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by ChinenyeN(m): 4:21pm On Nov 08, 2010
Okay. Well, this raises another curious question in my mind that I would like clarification on. What is Amaigbo's relationship with Nri/Eri?
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by bashr4: 11:59am On Dec 16, 2010
imo river runs from abia to the atlantic, the river niger is being dregded and runs straight into the atlantic also portharcourt conects with opobo which runs into the atlantic and both towns have igbo indigens , if ikwere people are not igbo how come they are members of ohanaeze ndi igbo, peter odili former governor was to run for president last election with igbo quota, the current governor is aware of his igbo origin so dont mind people that are fueling division among igbo , the denial was used after the civil war to prevent futher seizing of property and money by the federal govt.

people still dont understand the difference between

igbos --- (anambra,enugu,imo abia,ebonyi, part of crossrivers,half of rivers, 1/3or delta,minute part of bayelsa and minute part of benue and edo),

south east nigeria--imo,anambra(95% and 5%igala)enugu,abia(90%,ogoni 10% ),ebonyi

south south--rivers(45%), delta(30%), bayelsa(less than 5%) crossrivers(5%) akwaibom(5%)and edo(about 1%)

biafran (acording to old map)-- the 5 south east states ,igbo part of delta and the remaining south south except edo state.
niger delta republic--rivers and bayelsa and ijaw part of delta since

niger delta--it consists of present day Bayelsa, Delta, and Rivers States. In 2000, however, Obansanjo's regime included Abia, Akwa-Ibom, Cross River State, Edo, Imo and Ondo States in the region. more than 40 ethnic groups including the Efik, Ibibio, Annang, Oron, Ijaw, Itsekiri, Igbo, Urhobo, Yoruba, and Kalabari, are among the inhabitants in the Niger Delta, speaking about 250 different dialects.

when people go about talking about igbos landlocked ask them if its true of what disadvantage is dat? , a lot of european and south american countries are landlocked but they are still among developed countries and high exporting nations of the world and that is why you have trade unions. if for example only south east leaves nigeria without thier southern brothers the land and transportation among the countries is still the same , you will still transport your product from anambra to lagos or port harcourt to ship it ,the same way a factory in kano and kastina will. the same levy you will pay is the same your paying as part of the country.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by munachi123: 1:38pm On Dec 16, 2010
Yo! Mr my Mama comes from Egbema,, and my father comes from Isiokpo, which y'all know is Ikwerre still. The truth still stands that we are Ibos no matter how illiterates say we are not Ibos. If u say u're not Ibo,, then watz your ethnicity? Stop been decieved by the oil politics,, the same brothers of ours Awuse and Toby are part of ohaneze ndibo now and u still stupidly say we're not Ibo,, Mr maaan dieee all those gambitzz,, All this are generally oil politics an educated Ikwerre man knows the truth and not arguing with people whose only hope is the 98 oil wells we got. YES!! We Ikwerre have just 98 oilwells and most are gettin dried up so Pliz brothers ,, No matter how dumb u are our ethnicity is still Ibo oooh!! If u say u're not Ibo that is at your own risk ,,  population is pride. There's huge love in brotherhood, without this brothers of ours I swear we were all gonna be muslim slaves by now,  End the deceit the oil u claim we have the core Ibos have more than we got ,, Delta Imo and Abia. The riverrines aint part of us and they have 98% of River state's oil well. the northerners are united and rule today but had to use this political strategy to blind fold us by making our Ikwerre chiefs who are mostly illitrates feel they are not Ibos because the felt they could have huge oil shares, and at the same time the F.G subdue we the Ikwerre minority for the oil,, Now involvin Imo and Abia as part of Nigerdelta,, I'm sorry we are hopelessly divided. I come from ISIOKPO if u really wanna confirm who wrote this, Ikwerre we are hopelessly hopeless if we dont coperate with the only brothers we got and I mean NdiIbo Plis Ikwerre and Ibo ,ABU OTU!!!! Ndigbo Nwanem KWENU!! IKWerre MMEKA!!
silly ARGUEMENT NOW I FEEL MY BROTHERZ ARE REALLY BLINDFOLDED,  U answer  the same name with this people, 99.999% same culture and yet u say I'm not Ibo,, U'RE MAD THINK TWICE , and really think if we were corperating like the muslims if ur life was going to be the way it is now
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Abagworo(m): 1:44pm On Dec 16, 2010
Ndaa ha be kakwa mbra?Nye obula jegu his way.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by munachi123: 9:16am On Dec 17, 2010
U are very correct. Now the hausas are on top of the government, united since Amadu Bellos time, and we are here arguing we are not ibo, Ikwerre is not Ibo. Nwanne I'm a typical Ikwerre man and I am proud to tell the people that I am Ibo we are the same no difference. Slight difference in dialet is not worth making us deny our brothers. IKWERRE BU IBO,, Wether my brothers like it or not.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by munachi123: 9:23am On Dec 17, 2010
zebra:

it's like saying hausa is fulani or fulani is hausa.
ikwerre language is similar to igbo language but not the same thing. even their culture differ a bit. igbos are enterprising people while ikwerres are not. igbos struggle to make their money through business and sometimes bad runs while ikwerre waits to take over abandon property. so how can they be the same thing?

Animal loook,, No matter how u people say we are not Ibo,, U're only showing the world how illitracy has taken over ur life to the point of not knowing who u are,, I' m from the core Ikwerre and that ISIOKPO, So sayin we are not Igbo shows how dumb u are, AWU CONGO!!
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by munachi123: 9:24am On Dec 17, 2010
munachi123:

Animal loook,, No matter how u people say we are not Ibo,, U're only showing the world how illitracy has taken over your life to the point of not knowing who u are,,  I' m from the core Ikwerre and that ISIOKPO, So sayin we are not Igbo shows how dumb u are, EWU CONGO!!
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by munachi123: 9:35am On Dec 17, 2010
zebra:

and who told you your igbo language is not different from that of ikwerre? do you speak exactly the same thing with ikwerre? you are dumb too.

IDIOT!! U're the one who is dumb to the max, At ur humble age u do not still know the difference b/w language and dialet,, Ur Ignorance makes me reject u as a brother too. Look I'm a typical IKWERRE MAN and sayin we are not Ibo is the dumbest thing we could say. Just like sayin a lion is in the dog family and tiger is in the cat family. I leave in Canada and all help and homeliness comes from our ibo brothers. Same meeting same culture ,, same celebrations and u say we are not Ibo, I swear u wear suppose to be a muslim slave if not for the Ibos that showed great impact in the civil war, Brother ,, IKWERRE BU IBO , same ethnicity,, reduce the amount of weed u take and think strate,
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by munachi123: 9:43am On Dec 17, 2010
grafikdon:

Young man, watch it! Nwata bunie nna ya enu, ogodu ayochie ye anya. Eji m ogu n'eji m ofo, maka anahu ama ama nke Onicha gwala Obosi  angry angry

Uchenna is my name, I don't know what it means in Igbo and I don't really care what it means in Igbo since I am not Igbo, but in my language, it means "the will of the father/God".  My elder sister's name is Chika, does that make her Japanese considering Chika is also a Japanese name? What about the youngest who is Azuka, is she now Japanese because some Japanese bear the same name?

Igbo people sef. Ndi ofeke. Sheesh angry angry

Now I can say ,u have shown ur level of illetracy to the core Ibos on this topic. How can u say we are not Ibo , all because of a slight change in dialete, U're a goat!!
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by munachi123: 9:57am On Dec 17, 2010
OYB_MEND:

I am from Ndoni in River State and I am also Igbo

All I ask is for Igbo brothers in the East to respect this truth no matter how small in number we may be.

My brother I'm Ikwerre but the whole truth still stands that we are IBO. Only that the core Ibos should only understand that most people who say they are not IBOZ speak out of Ignorance and and illiteracy streaken. My real name was suppose to be MANUCHIMSO which means MUNACHIMSO and yet someone tells me I'm not Ibo ,, then I think the person is MAD
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by munachi123: 10:02am On Dec 17, 2010
ndu_chucks:

This Ikwerre bruhaha is probably not unrelated to the fact that the ND oil rich areas occupied by the Ikwerre need to be seen as Igboland in the grand scheme of things.  I wonder whether this would have been so much of an issue without the oil in that area.

Wat oil are u talkin about. We have just 98 oil wells in our lands yet my stupid brothers are feeling they are not Ibo with the little oil they got. The core Ibos are counting in hundreds and we just have 98,, My brotherz are so stupid I'm sorry to say this ,, MY PEOPLE ARE BEEN IGNORANT, Which is so painful to me,,
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Onlytruth(m): 10:12am On Dec 17, 2010
munachi123:

Wat oil are u talkin about. We have just 98 oil wells in our lands yet my silly brothers are feeling they are not Ibo with the little oil they got. The core Ibos are counting in hundreds and we just have 98,, My brotherz are so silly I'm sorry to say this ,, MY PEOPLE ARE BEEN IGNORANT, Which is so painful to me,,

Igbo nile bu otu, hoo haa!

One Igboland. No core. No periphery. cool
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by munachi123: 10:17am On Dec 17, 2010
riversman:

get a life yall

[size=21pt]IKWERRE[/size] aint IBO abi na IGBO

[size=18pt]long live all the IKWERRE YOUTHS of NIGER DELTA, [/size]

[size=30pt]Owiala Wey, Ikwerre A'meka [/size]

U are the biggest fool I've seen, U're a typical example of one of those brainwashed by the F.G after the civil war,, U're not stupid showing ur illiteracy here to the people, Grade 1 illiterate to the point u dont know ur origin,, Mr maan I'm a typical Ikwerre man but my international and home Identity is Ibo,, Brother pliz go get a life,, hustle u dont have to wait for an Ibo man to hustle and give u his earnings b4 u accept u are Ibo,, Becos that wat most of our brothers are expectin from the core Ibo people,, IGBO WE STANDED,, UNITED I'MMA BE WITH U TILL I DIE,,If u are Ikwerre and u say we are not Ibo then U ARE MAD,,
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Onlytruth(m): 10:20am On Dec 17, 2010
@Munachimso

Chukwu gozie gi. Ezigbo nwa!

Thank you for being true to yourself no matter what others may do.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by munachi123: 10:22am On Dec 17, 2010
Onlytruth:

Igbo nile bu otu, hoo haa!

One Igboland. No core. No periphery.  cool

Maaan that wat my brothers refuse to understand,, No matter the difference in language ,, we are still Iboz ,, we are the same,, So any Ikwerre man sayin he is not Ibo is daft
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by vicenzo(m): 11:37am On Dec 19, 2010
Munachi may your days be long,no matter how fast lies travel,it will always be overtaken by truth,now its time for all those ikwerre grandfathers to tell the young ones the truth and appologize for sowing seeds of discord between ikwerre and the rest of igbo nation.

Chiokike gozie ali ikwerre.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by vicenzo(m): 11:40am On Dec 19, 2010
Munachi may your days be long,no matter how fast lies travel,it will always be overtaken by truth,now its time for all those ikwerre grandfathers to tell the young ones the truth and appologize for sowing seeds of discord between ikwerre and the rest of igbo nation,oil will one day finish, ask oloibiri people,but ndi igbo will always be around.

Chiokike gozie ali ikwerre.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by aljharem(m): 1:03am On Dec 20, 2010
munachi123:

Maaan that wat my brothers refuse to understand,, No matter the difference in language ,, we are still Iboz ,, we are the same,, So any Ikwerre man sayin he is not Ibo is daft
that's a lie, [size=16pt]i am also an igbo man, and u are not igbo

u will never be igbo, not now not ever

if i see any ikweerri man in anambra, should i tell u what we do to them,,,,,,

we eat them raw
[/size] angry angry
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by grafikdon: 2:06am On Dec 20, 2010
munachi123:

Now I can say ,u have shown your level of illetracy to the core Ibos on this topic. How can u say we are not Ibo , all because of a slight change in dialete, U're a goat!!

Chineke God of Umunwanyi eeeeee!!!! shocked shocked shocked Come see abuse from Okoro man o. Chai, see Nwa Onye Igbo in action. shocked shocked

Mu bu nna gi ochie ka i na akpo nwa mkpi? Odika na imaghi na mu gi abughi ogbo. Ngwa bia sekpulu ana here ka m tie gi utali. *Grafikdon fee isi kpaka kpaka* Okuko si na mkpali g'adi grin grin grin
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by SALady(f): 8:17am On Dec 22, 2010
@topic so we have the Ikwerre people, aaaahhhhhhh! nice discovery to a South African.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by excanny: 2:08pm On Dec 22, 2010
SA Lady:

@topic so we have the Ikwerre people, aaaahhhhhhh! nice discovery to a South African.

You're welcome to the Nigeria 101 class. Happy learning!
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by royal12: 7:02am On Feb 28, 2011
I have many ikwerre friends thts speaks igbo like me
or
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by udezue(m): 1:55am On Mar 27, 2011
Rumu nwennem' ndi Ikwere di oke nzuzu. grin
O gini wu nsogbu unu? Bia kwusi nu nzuzu unu weh.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by THEAMAKA(f): 2:02am On Mar 27, 2011
udezue:

Rumu nwennem' ndi Ikwere di oke nzuzu. grin
O gini wu nsogbu unu? Bia kwusi nu nzuzu unu weh.
OMG, you've been missed. cheesy
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by aribisala0(m): 6:54pm On Mar 30, 2011
i think it is important to get a handle on how peoples evolve. i think speaking a language however well does not of its own tell the whole story. in history people break away from each other at some point and may have sharply delineated or blurred lines of identity depending on how far back in antiquity we wish to go. i am not an expert but mutual intelligibility tells us little. for example english is a germanic language in origin but the two are almost completely mutually UN-intelligible and the fracture is quite old. then there are the so -called romance languages french spanish portuguese and italian spanish and portuguese have the greatest co-intelligibility.
there are few claims of a common ancestor.
if we come to nigeria the yorubas have never really been under one roof i can say this with all certainty as an ijebu man. as a matter of fact till she died my grandmother use to refer to some people from the old oyo state as those yoruba people. certainly the word yoruba is not even indigenous in its origin. sadly across most of nigeria we have been illiterate until quite recently and so there are few if any written comtemporaneous  accounts of our history. there were so many minority groups which have been completely dissolved into bigger groups and now it is as if they never walked the earth. such languages,became redundant and then extinct. the same is happening even to this day in rivers state e.g. defaka language.

now it is convenient to say all speakers of what is modern day yoruba are one etc etc this is rubbish. but it serves a useful survival purpose; to present a unified front against external enemies
i am sure it is rubbish for the yorubas,in the north most people speak hausa but they are more sanguine they KNOW they are not ALL hausa .
ahmadu bello,abacha,babangida,yar adua,shagari,gowon,danjuma, they all have one thing in common NOT one of them is hausa  i repeat  NOT ONE.
more? atiku,buhari, tafawa balewa,aliko dangote lamido sanusi
but all were/are  hausa speakers. i repeat not one is hausa. i will not comment on the igbo situation in general because this always seem to provoke aggresive and abusive responses except to say one thing . if an ikwerre man says he is igbo then he is igbo if another ikwerre man says he is not igbo he is not igbo. ultimately there must be a right of self identification.
my point is speaking a language does not prove or disprove anything afterall i am sure few of us here are english. i wonder  how many could actually debate this topic in a nigerian language.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by jason123: 7:35pm On Mar 30, 2011
This munachi123 is probably[b] Andre uche or another igbo man not ikwerri[/b]. No ikwerri man that I know will say he is igbo! SMH at this people. Do you think ikwerri was part of your "great empire" or something.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by ChinenyeN(m): 8:35pm On Mar 30, 2011
Jason, you obviously don't know every Ikwere then.

Aribisala, I so much love your write-up, and you're reasoning for not commenting on the Igbo situation is completely on point.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by jason123: 9:12pm On Mar 30, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Jason, you obviously don't know every Ikwere then.

Aribisala, I so much love your write-up, and you're reasoning for not commenting on the Igbo situation is completely on point.

Okay, not every ikwerre but the ones I know do not say they are igbo and why should they Must every eastern ethnic minority be Igbo?? Its like saying Uhrobos, edos or Nupe people are yoruba, it just does not make sense. Even I see myself as Itsekiri first then yoruba but it does not mean my people see themselves as anything yorubas (my case is a peculiar case).
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by EzeUche(m): 9:40pm On Mar 30, 2011
jason123:

Okay, not every ikwerre but the ones I know do not say they are igbo and why should they Must every eastern ethnic minority be Igbo?? Its like saying Uhrobos, edos or Nupe people are yoruba, it just does not make sense. Even I see myself as Itsekiri first then yoruba but it does not mean my people see themselves as anything yorubas (my case is a peculiar case).

I went to school with Ikwerre children in primary and secondary. They spoke Igbo and considered themselves Igbo. I even have Aro-Ikwerre relatives in my family. It is no big deal. Do you even know Port Harcourt's original Ikwerre name? It is Iguocha, which is another Igbo name.

Like ChinenyeN stated, you do not know every Ikwerre. Some see themselves as Igbos while others don't.

And not all Eastern minorities are by the Ndigbo. Do Igbos claim Ibibio? No. Do Igbos claim Ogoni? No. Do Igbos claim the riverine Ijaw? No. Do Igbos claim Ekoi? No. Do Igbos claim the various Cross River ethnicities? No.

So do not make an unfounded statement. If Ikwerre want to claim Igbo, then there is no problem, if they do not want to claim Igbo, so be it. It is their choice.

The fear of Igbo domination is quickly losing ground as the minorities in the East see the Igbo championing their causes. If it wasn't for an Igbo man, the South-South would never have been created so you should be thankful.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by ChinenyeN(m): 10:06pm On Mar 30, 2011
jason123:

This is what is called, crying more than the bereaved, particularly when there is nothing to cry about; hope you get what I'm saying.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by aribisala0(m): 10:16pm On Mar 30, 2011
EzeUche:

I went to school with Ikwerre children in primary and secondary. They spoke Igbo and considered themselves Igbo. I even have Aro-Ikwerre relatives in my family. It is no big deal. Do you even know Port Harcourt's original Ikwerre name? It is Iguocha, which is another Igbo name.

Like ChinenyeN stated, you do not know every Ikwerre. Some see themselves as Igbos while others don't.

And not all Eastern minorities are by the Ndigbo. Do Igbos claim Ibibio? No. Do Igbos claim Ogoni? No. Do Igbos claim the riverine Ijaw? No. Do Igbos claim Ekoi? No. Do Igbos claim the various Cross River ethnicities? No.

So do not make an unfounded statement. If Ikwerre want to claim Igbo, then there is no problem, if they do not want to claim Igbo, so be it. It is their choice.

The fear of Igbo domination is quickly losing ground as the minorities in the East see the Igbo championing their causes. If it wasn't for an Igbo man, the South-South would never have been created so you should be thankful.
quite interesting sir.
i am doubtful of what i consider the myth of port harcourt's original names. i lived in PH. from 72 to 97. this was from shortly after the civil war when the abandoned property crisis was very strong and raw. it is possible that there may have been a village with that name but certainly not the whole of port harcourt. even during my time many villages were incorporated into what is now known as port harcourt. there were shifts in boundaries several times but it is worth noting that places in obio apkor as far and wide as rumukurushi,rumuokoro rumueme and waterside areas like abuloma were all called port harcourt. also diobu,eligbam rumuepirikom, rumuola,rumuomasi etc.then there is borokiri gbundu waterside,ogbunabali and the creek road area. i will not even mention choba as part of port harcourt. so before we talk about ancient names of port harcourt we must mention boudaries where did this iguocha start and where did it end. one thing  is port harcourt is such a large place that did not exist in its current form i.e. a large city in pre colonial times.  ;iguocha might be the igbo name but did the locals use this name.and why not anymore. english people use names like holland,germany and spain but the owners of these countries talk about netherlands deutschland and espana. i am not saying you are definitely wrong .  i like to learn  something new each day can you provide some evidence. please.

regards
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by ChinenyeN(m): 11:15pm On Mar 30, 2011
Aribisala, yes, Iguocha is the traditional name of the frontier from which P.H. grew from. Oral traditions of the Ngwa and Ikwere, in particular, as well as the Etche, Asa, Ndoki, and also quite possibly Uratta attest to this, as does early colonial documentation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (20) (Reply)

Ooni Adeyeye-Ogunwusi Remarries As Marriage Crashes - SDK (Photo) / Wells Carlton Hotel Staff Prostrate To Welcome Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi / Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.