Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,447 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! (16330 Views)

Hameed Ibrahim Ali Flies Jet To Lagos (Photos) / Welcome To Hell (graphic, Very Disturbing Photos) / A 1967 “Welcome To Nigeria” Billboard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Sagamite(m): 11:04am On Apr 16, 2010
Moyola:

^^hehe!. . .juz kudnt b bovvered to go there buh wiv dhiz link. . . Thankz! tongue

Lazy gizbird! angry tongue
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Moyola(f): 11:11am On Apr 16, 2010
^^Ahn ahn! juz lyk yu! tongue
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Moyola(f): 11:28am On Apr 16, 2010
'Vocal slender' hehe! uhmn! Incredible!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by joshO: 12:00pm On Apr 16, 2010
At first, I thought "here they go again". But the more I watched it, the more moving and engaging I found it, free of the typical stereotyping or innuendo.

I find most of the characters extraodinarily chipper and resourceful.  That they eke out a living in those circumstances, yet display such sincerity and clarity of purpose was intriguing in itself.

Such an irony of life - the disenchantment and misery of many wealthy (especially the criminally wealthy such as Ibori, IBB, Atiku) in Nigeria, compared to the satisfaction and sence of fulfillment of Joseph and slender. Who is really worse off?
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by ayettymama(f): 12:01pm On Apr 16, 2010
i cant wait till the next one!!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by TheSaintz: 12:05pm On Apr 16, 2010
i think that they understand the power of the media
and also worried that most investors are afraid of europe becos
of suicide bombers
African and especially naija is the only place where u r sure of getting good ROI
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by labiyemmy(m): 12:11pm On Apr 16, 2010
The next edition is on Makoko - a real slum dung part of Lagos - wait until u see it.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by olaolabiy: 12:51pm On Apr 16, 2010
a true reflection of things in lagos. to those of you who what things covered up,get a life.

now the children of the corrupt few must be ashamed of the mess created by their fathers.
funny enough, those guys spoke better english than many nigerians i have met in london.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by tboy1(m): 12:57pm On Apr 16, 2010
Very interesting documentary - I had to buy vocals slender's album on itunes when i saw the documentary
He worked hard and deserves to be rewarded in some way
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by ayettymama(f): 1:12pm On Apr 16, 2010
^^ awwww- buy one for me too!!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by tboy1(m): 1:23pm On Apr 16, 2010
ayettymama:

^^ awwww- buy one for me too!!

smiley
I wish i could sent it, but itunes has its DRM in place & i downloaded straight into the ipod . . . i can sing you some of the songs sha grin
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by ayettymama(f): 1:42pm On Apr 16, 2010
lol

sing ko!!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by bluespice(f): 3:00pm On Apr 16, 2010
am i the only one that found it odd and sadly amusing that the fire services were on hand to put out the fire (that was started by other govt officials) at the dump (and even had 2 tankers available) yet always seem to be out of water when they are needed to help out with burning buildings? undecided
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by labiyemmy(m): 3:05pm On Apr 16, 2010
About the fire and stuff? Usually - dump sites like that gets burnt regularly - this is why I wonder the whole essence of the documentary - even the one close to Isolo Jakande Estate Bridge - gets burnit regularyly - why will they call fire brigade to quench a fire delibarately started to burn the rubbish?
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by shabbie(m): 6:03pm On Apr 16, 2010
bluespice:

am i the only one that found it odd and sadly amusing that the fire services were on hand to put out the fire (that was started by other govt officials) at the dump (and even had 2 tankers available) yet always seem to be out of water when they are needed to help out with burning buildings? undecided

The fire station is just a 2min drive from the dump site and trust me it wasn't 100% free!!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Devonian(m): 6:11pm On Apr 16, 2010
I missed the broadcast, but just finished watching it on BBC iPlayer . So, others who missed it can do so on BBC iPlayer , too. I watched this documentary with mixed feeling. Initially, I thought here comes the Western media, once again. I recollect watching a similar documentary about India and Brazil. However, as it unfolds, I thought, on the one hand, that the creativity, industriousness and resoluteness of the characters are praiseworthy. On the other hand, I felt Nigeria is a failed state where those in government are starching away billions of pounds in foreign banks, whilst highly creative and industrious Nigerians are rottening away. Of course, many had gone to their graves with their huge talents dying with them and their dreams never came true. How I wish ERIC OBUH (aka, Vocal Slender) could be financially helped with a view to ascertaining that his debut CD is released and marketed both at home and abroad. The fact that his kind of talent could be identified in one of Lagos' landfill would suggest that there are thousands of his kind in the nooks and crannies of Nigeria. The Nigerian government needs to organise annual "NIGERIA'S GOT TALENT SHOWS" with a view to discovering talents, not just in the music industry, but in craftsmanship and tradesmanship, and engineering (electrical and electrinics; mechanical; civil, etc, etc), to mention a few.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by baby4u2(f): 6:52pm On Apr 16, 2010
[size=14pt]Guys am really concerned about the filth i saw on the first page, what can we do really to clear this mess or move it somewhere that will not kill people? i want to be in on this, what can we do as young able people? We need to stop talking and act and find out how we can get help.[/size]

I want to know, i just remember the days i use to do my hair under the bridge in obalende near a gutter that was ever increasing plus the locals would add feaces inside. And this vendors and hairdresser will still eat there and keep their children there too. I had to start paying extra so that they could come to the house.

[size=14pt]Guys what can we do pleaseeeeeeeeeees? i really want to make a change in Nigeria, and if we can start from here please lets do it, while making money of course[/size].
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by insideview: 7:16pm On Apr 16, 2010
Its not the BBC's job (or any of the western media for that matter) to present our country to their viewers in a wholly positive light. That is the job of Nigerians. They are funded by and cater to their nationals and interests and so far present facts and opinions in a manner that will best serve the interests of their nationals and interests.

If we have a grudge with that, then lets start presenting ourselves in a more positive light, individually, as a people, and as a nation. Explain a situation where in an international airport in the full glare of different nationalities, two or more Nigerians gather and start yapping about everything wrong with Nigeria. There are a lot of things not right with Nigeria but i doubt its alone among nations in that regard.

That having being said, its simply a matter of PERSPECTIVE. The west can believe what they want and choose to believe, the question is, as a Nigerian, what do YOU believe about your country?
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by saemoenl(f): 7:19pm On Apr 16, 2010
Lets put things in a right place and 4get about what BBC or CNN will say about us. We are to blame ourselves for not putting it right.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by skfa1: 7:42pm On Apr 16, 2010
Pls let me know whem makoko comes out.

God help Nigeria. Amen
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by frenchman(m): 7:56pm On Apr 16, 2010
Though this a series and we are not sure how this will end, however, I really love this documentary.
It shows that not all Nigerians are 419, yahoo yahoo, drug baron and corrupt government officials.
It shows what majority of Nigerians face everyday, how many Nigerians are affluent and live in Ikoyi or VI? Not up to 5% I reckon.
So I think, this documentary will portray us in a different manner, as hard-working people.
This documentary will do more good than arm to us.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by mrkoma2012: 9:09pm On Apr 16, 2010
gr8 shame. true reflection of the wonderful government as enjoyed by nigerians
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Rmc1(m): 9:36pm On Apr 16, 2010
Do our honourable politicians watch bbc at all ? Do those of them in abuja watch these documentary, or do they just change channel when these docus are being shown? They must be heartless or mad.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Gamine(f): 9:36pm On Apr 16, 2010
I really liked the documentary, it made me smile, laugh, cry, so emotional,
but, i didnt like the take off, bred in lagos, i couldnt recognize it.

They should have done an overview of lagos as a whole then zoomed in on these areas.
its still really good, cant wait for the other parts.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by skfa1: 9:39pm On Apr 16, 2010
Gamine:

I really liked the documentary, it made me smile, laugh, cry, so emotional,
but, i didnt like the take off, bred in lagos, i couldnt recognize it.

They should have done an overview of lagos as a whole then zoomed in on these areas.
its still really good, cant wait for the other parts.

O M G , gamine you still very much alive on NL, should I say happy nu year, nice to see you again my fwend cheesy cheesy
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Nobody: 10:43pm On Apr 16, 2010
Vocal Slender has made it, He's album has crept up on itunes grin. Just hope 'Kazim' wont come back to coax him for more money.

Nice documentary as well. Was rushing down from work to see it but eventually caught the last 45 mins, was worth my time  wink
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Waxxy(m): 10:46pm On Apr 16, 2010
i loved it so much, everyone at work that saw it had nothing but sincere praise for the resilient and hardworking Lagosians.  I can't wait for the Makoko episode. Makoko is a riverine ghetto i am priviledged to know its nooks and crannies very well because a few under priviledged classmates of mine from secondary school lived there. Most of these guys outperformed me despite my seemingly superior primary education and incessant private after-school tuition. most of them are now graduates working in major companies in Lagos.

Makoko will not be very different from the dumpsite scenario from  what i know and from the little snippet ive seen. people wanting to see lekki and VGC should keep thier fingers crossed, maybe next year, lol
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Kobojunkie: 10:48pm On Apr 16, 2010
If would be cool if the Makoko episode features the floating clinic project. Not sure if it is fully functional still but someone posted something on it a while ago and I wondered how that could work in such a place.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Waxxy(m): 10:57pm On Apr 16, 2010
@kobojunkie,
i believe it would work, MAkoko is a floating city itself. Those guys live and enjoy life on bamboo-stilted bungalows on the Lagos lagoon better than some of us on the mainland. They catch, farm and eat the freshest fish available, that works well with a few shots of freshly distilled Ogogoro in the cool of the day.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by manny4life(m): 12:23am On Apr 17, 2010
What it is that Nigeria is gaining International presence, I was solving the puzzle from the morning Washington Express news paper they always give free when getting on the train, as I looked across, I saw on quote " What currency is used in Nigeria" ? I said huh, Nigeria? hmmm my buddies on the train did not know what I sure was laughing at. I know it means nothing but come on for me to see Nigerian's name on that paper, I felt proud for a moment. They criticizing us so we can do better because they know we have "STRONG POTENTIALS" to do not just better but best. Don't forget now that this was the day after the U.S. Nuclear Security Summit that was held in Washington, and for sure Jonathan Goodluck attended like I heard again.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Kobojunkie: 12:26am On Apr 17, 2010
We now live in a global society. You cannot continue to depend on them to buy your oil, give you aid upon aid, support your acting president, without them looking in to see where there money is even going into. Anyone that expects them to keep away is as naive as can be. It just does not make sense that we would continue to grumble each time we get a turn at the lens. It would do us better to prepare for it instead.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by chelseabmw(m): 2:02am On Apr 17, 2010
[size=13pt]Bbc are just too useless[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

I Support The Struggle For The Independence Of Palestine – Senator Sani Shehu / FG Orders Ex-Ministers, Permanent Secretaries To Return Assets / 2019: Crowd Of Youths March For Ambode’s Re-Election (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.