Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,246 members, 7,815,359 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant (53425 Views)

Olukere Of Ikere Ekiti Now Recognized As An Oba In Ekiti State / "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos / Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over, Leader Of Afonja Descendants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by goshee: 11:14pm On Feb 09, 2018
ballerin:
Fulanis are dead flies in illorin. They are cowards, no one is afraid of them.
Saraki is the major stumbling block, if he dies, the alliance of Fulani to Ilorin dies.
Yorubas will correct the mistake of Alimi no matter how long it takes
sharap you carword and cover ur face in shame. I thought it was a lie that Kwara state is a conquered territory until now. now I know why yorubas are called carwords. I'd rather die fighting for freedom than living as a slave.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by goshee: 11:18pm On Feb 09, 2018
laydoh:
u r on a long tin bro,d present can only b changed through endless bloodshed and war.tell me,is dat wat we really nid at d moment wen 9ja is in crisis?
no we not be needing bloodbath at this present condition of Nigeria hence you are comfortable as slaves in your own land. pls define carwordice in your own terms
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by goshee: 11:21pm On Feb 09, 2018
ballerin:
It will shock you. The era of emir in Ilorin is coming to an end. The people of ilorin will practice Islam with a Muslim Oba on the throne of their fathers.
sharap there afonja price and princess are talking when slaves talk we will alert you
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by ballerin(m): 11:23pm On Feb 09, 2018
Konquest:

^^^^^
^^^^^
Absolutely @ballerin!

The Egbas ALONE were able to defeat Dahomey
3 good times in the 1800s. Ibadan military
might also defeated the Fulani/Yoruba Muslim
forces in Osogbo,
Otun-Ekiti, and some other battles towards
the borders between Osun and Kwara where
the "Fulani" were defeated again.

But Ibadan was also fighting other Yoruba
subgroups on other battlefronts. If the Yoruba
had not been suspicious of one another after
the rumblings in the Oyo Empire... and the
had combined their forces based on the
sophisticated weapons that they had( Schneider
Guns and Cannons/Gun powder), they would have defeated any invader with ease and taken
the war to Sakwato (Sokoto).

Very correct.
Lagos island & Benin invasion was another similar scenario. If not for the British & the relentless efforts of Samuel Ajayi in reconciling warring factions, God knows what would have been left of the Yoruba nation.

2 Likes

Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by highbee02: 11:30pm On Feb 09, 2018
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by IamBlanco(m): 11:35pm On Feb 09, 2018
abdulwastecx:

Stop spreading hate speech and trying to caused confusion among yorubas. Yorubas are not confused, they are smart enough to know that religion is personal. Else don't have identity crises we are just more liberal and more bonded by our ethnicity than any other ideology

when did calling a spade a spade hate speech? hey dude, facts don't care abt your feelings. the terms liberalism & freedom are alien words in the Islamic world, they have no meaning. it's either you follow the doings of Muhammad in d hadith or u are not a muslim, there's no inbtwn. there's nothing like liberal Muslim, moderate Muslim, a true Muslim will never allow his daughter marry a kafir. talking about d youbas, d fulanis don't categorize Yorubas as 1st class Muslims. they see them more as subordinates, slaves & fund raisers. as a Muslim in Nigeria, ure a subordinate to d sokoto caliphate whether u accept it or not. imagine the power Christian leaders lik oyedepo & adeboye has, yet these men have never ventured into politics. this cannot b said about the other side. cux they would have set the engines running to grab power by hook & crook. besides, Islam doesn't mean Peace, salam is the Arabic word for peace just lik shalom is the Hebrew word for peace. Islam mean submission, in context it means submit & have peace. what we see happening to the Benue ppl is d beginning, they must submit if the want peace.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by poseidon12: 12:11am On Feb 10, 2018
HomeOfMe:
You àre very right. I was chatting with a northern customer of mine at a major market in Lagos who sells,yams.We were arguing about the price of things and I said,"Sebi na your brother be president?".he got very angry and said,me I no be Fulani,I be Hausa,he no be my brother. Let me just leave out other things he said.

And you took him serious? Do you think that all those poor Northerners shouting Sai Baba are Fulani? They are Hausa, Kanuri, Nupe, Gwari. Come 2019, they will still vote Buhari.

3 Likes

Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by poseidon12: 12:19am On Feb 10, 2018
babacletus:
Notice how these tread (Yoruba vs Fulani) is filled with comments from sotherners, but not a single Fulani, speaks a lot about that group's tactics, the Igbos are learning quick sha, destroy this yoruba-fulani relationship

Well, the Fulanis act more and talk less. The Southerners talk more and act less.

2 Likes

Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 1:28am On Feb 10, 2018
Mogidi:
Wow! This is super!
This is why Buhari remains Tinubu's Alimi?

The fear of Alimi is the beginning of wisdom so they say at Bourdillon road Ikoyi. .

www.nairaland.com/attachments/798973_Buhari_and_tinubu_jpg35850fbbaa7037d47d95fcb59a62c5a2

Must you wait until kingdom come before you seek for sense ?
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by Nowenuse: 2:19am On Feb 10, 2018
sasalite:
You have spoken the bitter truth about the Hausas. It may shock you to know that am one of them. The fulanis used religion to dethrone our Hausa kings and my people stupidly allowed it. Till world's end I refuse to accept Fulani dominance over me, it may not change anything but still I'll pass this truth down my line. The Hausa culture is almost dead due to this nonsense, what we have today is fulani culture portrayed in dances and Islamic monarchs dressed like Arabs. The Amirs have replaced our Sarakuna. Very few people know the original Hausa culture like our one week long traditional weddings, harvest festivals, e.t.c. I wish I can turn back the time and give sense to my people just before the Dan Fodio Fulani Jihad, the world would have known the real Hausa man and not the zombies we have today.

Wow! Am shocked to see a hausa man being as open as you are.
I highly doubt you are a muslim hausa. Perhaps you are a Christian Maguzawa hausa. If not, then, am shocked!

However I believe it is not too late. You can still do something for your people, no matter how small or minimal it is, don't just throw in the towel.

Sometimes I get so frustrated at my own people (middlebelt and northern minorities), at the docility, foolishness and identity confusion and uncertainty of our people, but I don't think I would easily give up without a fight.

In the future, I hope to form a very strong group to mobilize our people together and redefine a new identity and consciousness for them.

2 Likes

Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by Nowenuse: 2:25am On Feb 10, 2018
TEEBLUE88:
Nowenure... You are sooo on point, am from southern kaduna. we were told that when our fathers were under zazzau(zaria) emirate, they MUST submit a parcentage of all their harvest(just like tithe) to the then emir of jema'a(kafanchan) who is directly under the emir of zazzau plus bundles of grasses(meant for roofing tatched houses) every year, they would trek from the lenth and breadth of southern kaduna to do so . they were literally slaves in the own land. THANK GOD FOR THAT GENERATION THAT FOUGHT FOR US, the Afonjas must get this, that for them to reclaim their throne, BLOOD MUST FLOW!

You can imagine that!.
And it was not as if your people were conquered by Zaria. It was through the colonial indirect rule which the fulanis took advantage of and enslaved most northern minorities.
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by Nowenuse: 2:33am On Feb 10, 2018
ballerin:
Saraki is not fulani, he has no fulani ancestry. stop arguing needlessly.
I have had a number of encounters with ikwerres & their reactions to being Igbo isn't a pretty sight.

Saraki could actually be hausa or fulani by ancestry. Is Saraki a Yoruba name? No it's not. It is a corruption of the name SARKI, (which means king in Hausa). So, how come the name?
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by Nowenuse: 2:43am On Feb 10, 2018
Odingo1:

Actually Yoruba muslims should show us where this mosque was located in Osun 500yrs ago and how they have been practicing Islam with facts, from history books in Nigeria we where told that Usman dan fodio came to Nigeria and spread Islam from the North to northern fringe of yorubaland, that is why Islam is found more at the northern part of yorubaland and it decreases downward to Ondo and very small in Edo where it terminate. Christianity increases from Eastern Nigeria down to Yorubaland also and the north.

Fulani people also boast about how they introduce Islam to Yorubas openly without any objection in any manner both written or verbally from yoruba muslims
, one notable Fulani man even said it openly in an interview media chat that when they came to Ilorin that they kill the locals and force them to abandon their Idol worshiping and embrace Islam, it is all there in national newspapers.

I am not a yoruba, so am not defending them, but I actually think they are right. Many Nigerian groups including the yorubas, nupes, Hausas, Kanuris, Baribas etc, were already muslims before Danfodio came. It is on record. Danfodio only made islam more radical (supposedly 'pure') by enliminating almost all forms of idolatary from cultures.

Iwo is in Osun state, and they are more Islamic than many parts of Kwara south, Oyo state (Ogbomosho) and Kogi west, who are predominantly christian and more northerly located. So, that is really no point.

Islam came into yoruba land from the western axis (Mali). Ondo, Ekiti and Kogi west are more eastern in location.
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by Nowenuse: 2:52am On Feb 10, 2018
poseidon12:

And you took him serious? Do you think that all those poor Northerners shouting Sai Baba are Fulani? They are Hausa, Kanuri, Nupe, Gwari. Come 2019, they will still vote Buhari.

Nupe and gwari muslims will still vote Buhari again of course. They have lost their identity to islam. However, the christians among them will not. Kanuris and hausas value Islamic bond more than anything, so, no need to even consider whatever they say.

The only muslims in Nigeria who do not play politics with religion are the yorubas and Igalas. Ebira muslims are just like nupe muslims, islam means more to the majority of them.
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by ANOWEDGREAT: 4:26am On Feb 10, 2018
TheKingIsHere:

Well, from what I read from history, the fulanis will first appear as if they are your friends. They will behave and make you believe that they mean no harm, after which they will strike.

The fulanis did it to the hausas. They also did it to the yorubas.

Most of the lands the fulanis are currently occupying in the core north belonged to the hausas.
The fulanis came like innocent visitors before launching jihad on the hausas.

As for Afonja, he wanted to win a war against his fellow yoruba so he sort help from the fulanis (his biggest mistake).

He(afonja) won the battle with the help of the fulanis but lost the war, their lands, their throne to the same fulanis that were supposed to help them

This is exactly what tinibu and ameachi are currently doing I hope they won't regret it in the future.
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by ballerin(m): 4:58am On Feb 10, 2018
Nowenuse:

Saraki could actually be hausa or fulani by ancestry. Is Saraki a Yoruba name? No it's not. It is a corruption of the name SARKI, (which means king in Hausa). So, how come the name?
How many Yorubas, Hausas or Fulanis bear Saraki?. He alone can explain it but the fact remains that his grandfather was an Egba man.
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by Dirkcoyt: 5:45am On Feb 10, 2018
Nowenuse:

Nupe and gwari muslims will still vote Buhari again of course. They have lost their identity to islam. However, the christians among them will not. Kanuris and hausas value Islamic bond more than anything, so, no need to even consider whatever they say.

The only muslims in Nigeria who do not play politics with religion are the yorubas and Igalas. Ebira muslims are just like nupe muslims, islam means more to the majority of them.

we will be needing each other help in near future, I pray God bless and keep you till then.

1 Like

Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by bluke(m): 6:02am On Feb 10, 2018
Nwades:
Nnamdi KANU said and I quote " Yoruba's are cowards" Nnamdi is known to be right in most cases, could he be right again?

hes right nnamdi kanu (husein Bolt) the brave warrior that ojukwued.
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by Nobody: 6:05am On Feb 10, 2018
My friend Edo state has nothing to do with yoruba.
Odingo1:

Actually Yoruba muslims should show us where this mosque was located in Osun 500yrs ago and how they have been practicing Islam with facts, from history books in Nigeria we where told that Usman dan fodio came to Nigeria and spread Islam from the North to northern fringe of yorubaland, that is why Islam is found more at the northern part of yorubaland and it decreases downward to Ondo and very small in Edo where it terminate. Christianity increases from Eastern Nigeria down to Yorubaland also and the north.

Fulani people also boast about how they introduce Islam to Yorubas openly without any objection in any manner both written or verbally from yoruba muslims
, one notable Fulani man even said it openly in an interview media chat that when they came to Ilorin that they kill the locals and force them to abandon their Idol worshiping and embrace Islam, it is all there in national newspapers.
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by Nobody: 6:07am On Feb 10, 2018
I see your yoruba bravery.
You are insulting a man who used words to fight against armed soldiers.
I can see yoruba bravery now.

bluke:

hes right nnamdi kanu (husein Bolt) the brave warrior that ojukwued.

2 Likes

Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by me69: 6:30am On Feb 10, 2018
From your story fulani is evil while afonja is kind-hearted. You are nothing but a tribal and religion bigot
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by Nobody: 6:55am On Feb 10, 2018
Yes, am among the pure blood Hausas whose ancestors resisted Islam under pain of death from Danfodio and Ahmadu Bello's Islamasition movements. This resistance was passed from one generation to another with the aim of preserving the original Hausa Culture and Traditions.
I see the middle belt as the key to the liberation of the Hausa land because the Hausas are way too comfortable with their gradual disappearance. Hausas with my kind of opinion are too few and weak to effect the corrections but an alliance with a united Middle belt can get the job done. This is because even if the Middle belt region should liberate itself, so long as the Sokoto sultanate and their puppet Amirs remain, the victory remains halfway. Full victory requires total undoing of Dan Fodio's mess. Hausa Kings (Haɓe) are better than the Amirs any day. The Middle belt region has power beyond what I can say but they are too divided, that is why the Fulanis will try to decimate them ASAP before another Kwararrafa emerges that is sure to address the current nonsense. Wake up Middle belt, Unite under one banner, set your cause and correct history's mistakes.
Nowenuse:

Wow! Am shocked to see a hausa man being as open as you are.
I highly doubt you are a muslim hausa. Perhaps you are a Christian Maguzawa hausa. If not, then, am shocked!

However I believe it is not too late. You can still do something for your people, no matter how small or minimal it is, don't just throw in the towel.

Sometimes I get so frustrated at my own people (middlebelt and northern minorities), at the docility, foolishness and identity confusion and uncertainty of our people, but I don't think I would easily give up without a fight.

In the future, I hope to form a very strong group to mobilize our people together and redefine a new identity and consciousness for them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by ayoxelee(m): 7:37am On Feb 10, 2018
Nowenuse:

Those ones are fulanis or partly fulanis or hausas or nupe by ancestry. Don't be deceived by the fact that they speak yoruba or have yoruba names. They are bot of yoruba origin.
The pure yorubas of Afonja lineage will never claim to be fulani or accept the tag
Exactly, But those pure Yorubas are minority in Ilorin, majority of people in Ilorin have either Fulani, Hausa or Nupe lineage.
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by ayoxelee(m): 7:41am On Feb 10, 2018
ballerin:
You're daft. Religious correctness is a mere charade, a tool to corrupt the tribal identity of the people just as the case of Hausa/Fulani bullshit. A Yoruba is a Yoruba while a Fulani is a Fulani no matter the religion.

So u think, ask any person who is from Ilorin, I dnt mean people staying in Ilorin, I mean d real indigene of Ilorin what their origin was, then u will understand that speaking Yoruba as a language doesn't mke us Yorubas
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by ayoxelee(m): 7:49am On Feb 10, 2018
me69:
From your story fulani is evil while afonja is kind-hearted. You are nothing but a tribal and religion bigot
U got it.... Seriously d people clamouring for this oba and believe the story he just told are very few , majority of Ilorin peeps are OK with the rich Fulani culture Ilorin is famous. I dnt think there is a lineage in Ilorin that doesn't have any connection with a particular North East village or town and that's is why we still have some persons refers to as Alhaji Sokoto, Iya Kano etc in every household and most households still have family members in those aforementioned areas

1 Like

Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by Mccollins042(m): 7:55am On Feb 10, 2018
Windflower:
This is long overdue,am tired of people referring to me as non Yoruba because am from kwara state. I have to start explaining history to them
you might not be a full blooded Yoruba because as was written above yorubas from kwara have been inter-marrying with the fulanis... U might just be a hybrid grin grin
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by abdulwastecx(m): 8:08am On Feb 10, 2018
ayoxelee:

Exactly, But those pure Yorubas are minority in Ilorin, majority of people in Ilorin have either Fulani, Hausa or Nupe lineage.

How can pure Yoruba be few in Ilorin when Ilorin was originally a pure Yoruba village?
Majority of Ilorin indigene are pure Yoruba while majority of her elite are hybrid Yoruba-Nupe-fulani-hausa.

In terms or heritage, Tue largest group are Yoruba, followed by Nupe, then borqu people of kebbi, then Fulani, then very small Hausa.

Looking at the location of Ilorin you will know that it will be easier for immigration from Yoruba heartland than immigration from far away kano, sokoto etc. The Oyo's are a majority in Ilorin
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by ayoxelee(m): 8:47am On Feb 10, 2018
abdulwastecx:

How can pure Yoruba be few in Ilorin when Ilorin was originally a pure Yoruba village?
Majority of Ilorin indigene are pure Yoruba while majority of her elite are hybrid Yoruba-Nupe-fulani-hausa.

In terms or heritage, Tue largest group are Yoruba, followed by Nupe, then borqu people of kebbi, then Fulani, then very small Hausa.

Looking at the location of Ilorin you will know that it will be easier for immigration from Yoruba heartland than immigration from far away kano, sokoto etc. The Oyo's are a majority in Ilorin
Are you from Ilorin or d u have a very close person from Ilorin
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by abdulwastecx(m): 9:04am On Feb 10, 2018
ayoxelee:

Are you from Ilorin or d u have a very close person from Ilorin

My wife is from Ilorin and have relative from there
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by Habakus: 9:35am On Feb 10, 2018
Adebowale89:

small sense you know get, you lack comprehension that's if at all you read the article. what am I even saying will u read the article and come back to ask baby class QST

Yoruba lost Ilorin due to the traditional political disagreement btw the king of Oyo empire then and afonja and their over accommodating led them to loose the Royal control

the man said Fulani don't forgive, like say Igbo do forgive too. no other region would tolerate any region settlement again after what befall them in the past but here are still many igbos running down to southwest for settlement and doing eze ndigbo in another's man land

if you don't even like that region, respect them for over tolerating and heart of forgiveness. as bad as Igbo tagged Muslim, I still feel safe with Yoruba Muslim than the unforgivable igbos
What is even your problem with the Igbos?
Eze ndigbo is just an appellation that shows someone is the leader of Ndigbo in a particular place. Even the Yorubas have their leaders in SE and you don't see Igbos carrying placards and whining over that.
Have you ever heard of any Igbo anywhere outside of SE killing the indigenes and dragging their land?
This is the major problem with you guys: you'd prefer to bury your heads in the sand while attacking innocent Igbos going about their businesses, meanwhile, some others are ravaging your land, abolishing your traditions and kings right under your nose.
Continue.

3 Likes

Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by Nobody: 9:51am On Feb 10, 2018
Kwara means Palm tree in Hausa language .
Why is it that the State was not named after the Yoruba's if truly they owned the state
Re: Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant by Nobody: 10:10am On Feb 10, 2018
Puffydon1:
Kwara means Palm tree in Hausa language .
Why is it that the State was not named after the Yoruba's if truly they owned the state

It was named after the local name for river Niger.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Renames IPOB In Umuahia / Man ‘arrests’ Nsukka Deity For Making His Business Fail (photo) / Rivers State First Class Kings, Traditional Rulers (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.