Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,216 members, 7,822,099 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals (65746 Views)

Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want / 2 Lovers From Okija, Anambra Commit Suicide Over 'Osu' (Disturbing Pictures) / "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by letusbepieces: 11:05am On Feb 15, 2018
Eze2000:

This is a taboo. The day that there is a way to beat it a man will be allowed to marry his blood sister.

I am a man who is very choicy in women. I like em big, light skinned and beautiful. I found her once. in my town in imo state. But she was OSU, an outcast. I had to give up on her without even making a move. And babe was a nurse too!

In my town, the Jehova witness church is built on OSU land. no fist class citizen goes there even by mistake

The Mose christainty has done is to allow a shallow mix up with these people. We can play with them, visit them or buy stuff from them but when things start getting serious elders will start warning u and then the bans will...you must not go there again they will say.

only new generation overlook this taboo but not for long. Even if this guy was Dangote son, no first class citizen in Igbo land will attend his traditional weding

Bro, dat is a very sad story but it actually reflects the reality on ground and the problems created by the ignorance of the Ancient.

However, we are diverse and resourceful people.

U dont see a way becos u dont want to do the work and sacrifice necessary to break the taboo.

It can be done. Osu can be quashed or substituted.

It is just going to take a lot of work and sacrifice.

First the Nwafor willing to quash Osu belief must get themselves into position of authority.

i.e. Ohanaeze and get close to the Crowns of the entire Igbo land or even merge all the crowns into a singular body to get more power.

Mobilise the Gov by supporting our own into those position in the first place.

Then we proceed to the gods and his priest.

First we offer them substitute for marriage purposes, if they refuse, we retreat and leave them.

Gather info on all of dem and their family for 2 years, after dat we sweep all of them off igbo land.

No more shrine or herbalist. Ban!
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by BigBrother9ja: 11:13am On Feb 15, 2018
LaudableXX:

Cut the crap. You are going overboard. All Igbos are not osu. undecided
Keep deceiving yourself
ALL IGBOS ARE OSU ALUSI UMEH.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by gidgiddy: 12:30pm On Feb 15, 2018
LaudableXX:

I actually feel sorry for your Biafra, because the discrimination against some of its citizens like Osu or Ume or Oru will be highly magnified and raised to the nth power. A society founded on discrimination, will only harvest more problems for itself. undecided

In this technological age, you have not been able to fight against such archaic superstitions which infringe on the human rights of a segment of your population, or discriminates against them. So you think your Biafra will automatically become an El Dorado, with this kind of practices, still going on? Chai! shocked

On the contrary, Osu's are not discriminated against in Igbo soceity except in marriage. I see far more discrimination here on Nairaland and in Nigeria in general were people can be discriminated and even killed based on tribal, religious, ethnic and political sentiments.

No wonder you people are fond of discriminating against other Nigerians, from different ethnic groups. sad You have had enough time to practise such acts, within your ethnic group against the Osu, Oru and Ume. How sad!

Dont complain against us, last time we declared our own country and went our way, it was you people who came to wage war to bring us back.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Nobody: 1:58pm On Feb 15, 2018
bigfrancis21:

You do actually need some history lessons.
No sir.
There's no need for me to start reading about this.

It's my turf, It's an aspect am well versed about.

U need to at least find locals to ask.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Nobody: 2:00pm On Feb 15, 2018
LaudableXX:

I know you will come inside here to play the ostrich. cheesy The man has told you the truth, and you are here claiming it is a lie, without any evidence to debunk his claims...continue!
lmfao.

Afonja pls this is an Igbo tradition matter. U can join in wen the topic is about how Ancestor Afonja sold ilorin to the Fulani herdsmengrin. Keep off.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Nowenuse: 2:16pm On Feb 15, 2018
LaudateII:

In fact, I was shocked while going through this thread. shocked In 2008, a similar thread was opened on NL, and most of the Igbo respondents on that thread either denied its' existence, or swore that the practice was dying out. undecided I am amazed to see that 10 years later, on this same NL, people are coming out to say it is still very much alive, and they are being lukewarm about phasing it out. A few are even defending it! Wonders shall never cease! shocked

Read all about it here: https://www.nairaland.com/23527/marry-osu/1

They are just telling lies and watering it down, it's still there, but not in all places though. .

Well, we could agree with them, that this practice is dying out cos in the past, it was worse than this.
In the past, the Osu people had seperate markets and it was even forbidden to shake hands with them or go to the stream together with them or socialize with them (as I heard).

3 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by LaudableXX: 2:34pm On Feb 15, 2018
PrecisionFx:
lmfao.

Afonja pls this is an Igbo tradition matter. U can join in wen the topic is about how Ancestor Afonja sold ilorin to the Fulani herdsmengrin. Keep off.
Didn't I tell you that you were daft, on another thread? I do not even come from anywhere near the Southwest. Neither am I a Yoruba person. But you have called me an Afonja. Can you see how clueless you really are? So anyone who disagrees with you is an Afonja? What is the name of the school you attended, again?

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Nobody: 2:48pm On Feb 15, 2018
LaudableXX:

Didn't I tell you that you were daft, on another thread? I do not even come from anywhere near the Southwest. Neither am I a Yoruba person. But you have called me an Afonja. Can you see how clueless you really are? So anyone who disagrees with you is an Afonja? What is the name of the school you attended, again?

I didn't read all that Mr Afonja.

Focus on ilorin, Stop wasting ur focus. grin.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Rozaytee: 2:54pm On Feb 15, 2018
colossus91:
booboo
my luv..cheesy
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by LaudableXX: 2:57pm On Feb 15, 2018
PrecisionFx:
I didn't read all that Mr Afonja.

Focus on ilorin, Stop wasting ur focus. grin.
Ilorin must be your hometown, not so? undecided Or did they cook a different type of 'juju for you, in that place too? Is that why you are repeating the words Afonja and Ilorin over and over, without stopping? Oya, repeat it again. You have only said it twice. Say it 498 more times, so that all those Yoruba people, that you called Afonja, can know that the spell they cast on you is working.... cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Nobody: 3:06pm On Feb 15, 2018
LaudableXX:

Ilorin must be your hometown, not so? undecided Or did they cook a different type of 'juju for you, in that place too? Is that why you are repeating the words Afonja and Ilorin over and over, without stopping? Oya, repeat it again. You have only said it twice. Say it 498 more times, so that all those Yoruba people, that you called Afonja, can know that the spell they cast on you is working.... cheesy

Thick onye ofe mmanu si ebe a gbafuo.
Goan recover ur enclave Ilorin from ur gambari masters. Nkakwu nzuzu.

Laudate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by LaudableXX: 3:08pm On Feb 15, 2018
gidgiddy:
On the contrary, Osu's are not discriminated against in Igbo soceity except in marriage. I see far more discrimination here on Nairaland and in Nigeria in general were people can be discriminated and even killed based on tribal, religious, ethnic and political sentiments.

Dont complain against us, last time we declared our own country and went our way, it was you people who came to wage war to bring us back.

Osu, Ume and Oru are not discriminated against in society, within Igbo land? Guy, tell us another lie, biko. Because that is not what a number of people have said on this thread, and even in different threads on NL. sad

Discrimination on NL, is online and virtual. It ends on this portal and I have not heard of anyone suffering from discrimination in real life, which was prompted by what he heard or read on NL. undecided

As for complaints, guy you should realise that the dynamics of 1967 - 1970 when your bearded general waged an ill-fated war against the state, are quite different from the dynamics on ground in 2018. Everyone has said your people should go through the legal route, to seek its own republic, using your SE legislators at state level and at the centre. Yet, they have refused to do so. Are they waiting for Biafra to be handed over to them on a platter of gold?

Anyway, as long as your discrimination against the Osu, Ume and Oru continue, your Biafra is unlikely to be an El Dorado. George Orwell's cardinal principle in Animal Farm will replay itself in your proposed republic. Take it or leave it.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by gidgiddy: 3:36pm On Feb 15, 2018
LaudableXX:

Osu, Ume and Oru are not discriminated against in society, within Igbo land? Guy, tell us another lie, biko. Because that is not what a number of people have said on this thread, and even in different threads on NL. sad

Discrimination on NL, is online and virtual. It ends on this portal and I have not heard of anyone suffering from discrimination in real life, which was prompted by what he heard or read on NL. undecided

As for complaints, guy you should realise that the dynamics of 1967 - 1970 when your bearded general waged an ill-fated war against the state, are quite different from the dynamics on ground in 2018. Everyone has said your people should go through the legal route, to seek its own republic, using your SE legislators at state level and at the centre. Yet, they have refused to do so. Are they waiting for Biafra to be handed over to them on a platter of gold?

Anyway, as long as your discrimination against the Osu, Ume and Oru continue, your Biafra is unlikely to be an El Dorado. George Orwell's cardinal principle in [i]Animal Farm [/i]will replay itself in your proposed republic. Take it or leave it.

Ume and Oru? That shows you dont know what you are talking about. Oru died with the coming of the whiteman. Osus are not discriminated against in Igbo land except in marriage. Osus, do business, go to church, aspire in politics, become wealthy men and do everything anybody does. The only discrimination they suffer is in marriage, and as I have said before, discrimination in marriage can be for different reasons.

Far worse discrimination happens in Nigeria. How many times have you heard that Herdsmen went to core Northern Muslim states like Sokoto, Katsina, Kebbi and others to kill people? Very rarely. But you will hear that hedsmen are killing people in the Christian areas such as the middle belt and Southern Kaduna.

But you will never hear that anyone killed an Osu or treated them badly in Igbo land. That some families dont want to marry them is a minor issue, there are many fishes in the sea.

The bearded general did not wage a war, you Nigerians did. All the bearded general did was declare the freedom of his people and went his way with them.

But because you Nigerians cannot do without Igbos, so you people came fighting to bring Igbos back into the hell-fire called "one Nigeria"

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by africanusvu(m): 4:11pm On Feb 15, 2018
Before u cookup a story.make sure u research more.Females arnt named 'AMADI' in igboland.Amadi is short for AMADIOHA.the god of thunder.rather the opposite of OSU is NWAFOR OR DIALA.But let me war. Us.if u at an OSU in igboland u remain an OSU.social media.NGOs nor church can't help it
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by LaudableXX: 5:50pm On Feb 15, 2018
gidgiddy:
Ume and Oru? That shows you dont know what you are talking about. Oru died with the coming of the whiteman. Osus are not discriminated against in Igbo land except in marriage. Osus, do business, go to church, aspire in politics, become wealthy men and do everything anybody does. The only discrimination they suffer is in marriage, and as I have said before, discrimination in marriage can be for different reasons.

You must be the joker of the century. sad Osus are not discriminated against in Igbo land? shocked Who do you think you are deceiving? Ok, tell us how many Osus have been elected as Igwe in different villages in Ala Igbo, and why it is still an anathema to suggest having an Osu as a council chairperson, or have an Osu occupy the post of the village Eze. Yet, you say they are not discriminated against? Are you just saying so to deceive others, or to make yourself feel better?

gidgiddy:
Far worse discrimination happens in Nigeria. How many times have you heard that Herdsmen went to core Northern Muslim states like Sokoto, Katsina, Kebbi and others to kill people? Very rarely. But you will hear that hedsmen are killing people in the Christian areas such as the middle belt and Southern Kaduna.

But you will never hear that anyone killed an Osu or treated them badly in Igbo land. That some families dont want to marry them is a minor issue, there are many fishes in the sea.

If you have never heard of Fulani killer herdsmen causing havoc and mayhem in core Northern states, then you must be living in Mars. In Zamfara, Fulani killer herdsmen were reported to have killed 120 people in Zamfara. Or is Zamfara a southern state? Even Ben Bruce had to bring up the situation in Zamfara on the floor of the Senate.

Muslim group questions IGP over alleged killing of 732 Fulani herdsmen | Published on January 17, 2018 By Seun Opejobi |

“Are the people of Zamfara also Christians? Killings in Zamfara have been occurring for years yet nobody did anything. The Nigerian Army, the police and DSS went to sleep. The press looked the other way. 23 locals were killed in Daraga in October 2011. 48 lives were terminated in June 2013 in Kizara village. More than 200 people were massacred in April 2014 in Unguwar Galadima. 50 were slaughtered in Kwanar Dutse in February 2016. 36 were killed in Bindin in November of the same year while another 23 people were killed in Tungar Kahau and Mallamawa, all in Zamfara State alone. All the victims were Muslims but nobody showed concern.” http://dailypost.ng/2018/01/17/muslim-group-questions-igp-alleged-killing-732-fulani-herdsmen/

In the Middle Belt, Muslims and Christians live side-by-side in almost equal numbers, in different communities across the region. A lot of those communities have been attacked by Fulani killer herdsmen, and both Muslim and Christians bore the brunt of those attacks. Or did any of the victims tell you they were asked questions about their religion or denomination before they were attacked? So why do you recycle fake news by saying the attacks are carried out "in Christian areas in the middle belt and Southern Kaduna?" shocked

And by saying that "you will never hear that anyone killed an Osu or treated them badly in Igbo land," you are only trying to water down a bad situation, or trying to sweep things under the carpet, or trying to appease your miniscule conscience. When a person is discriminated against, in terms of marriage or not being allowed to aspire to elective office both at the traditional and political level, it is a huge shame and a blot on the society in which such things take place.

gidgiddy:
The bearded general did not wage a war, you Nigerians did. All the bearded general did was declare the freedom of his people and went his way with them.

But because you Nigerians cannot do without Igbos, so you people came fighting to bring Igbos back into the hell-fire called "one Nigeria"

The bearded general waged a war. sad You can cut it, slice it or dice it any way you want. He declared secession - something he had no right to do - then he appropriated federal govt properties in the old Eastern region, and refused to heed the initial police action that was put in place to compel him to drop his illegal actions. undecided I guess when he also invaded the old Midwestern region, he was going there to invite them to a tea party, not so?
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Nobody: 8:30pm On Feb 15, 2018
LaudableXX:

I have never claimed to be an Igbo man, but the word "fooool" describes you perfectly. grin I am so delighted that this matter is causing you a lot of pain. Try not to kill yahself! Now you have mentioned the word 'Afonja,' just 4 times on this thread, it shows that the concoction they put in your food is still working. Oya, repeat it 496 times more. We are waiting! You are a typical Ekwensu. Onye ara!

AFONJANISTAN AFONJANISTAN AFONJANISTAN.

IGBO wanna be, U can never be an Igbo man because an Afonja Yoruba ndi dirty etere ure will always be ndi ure.

grin.

Argue with Oduduwa while am away.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by colossus91(m): 8:42pm On Feb 15, 2018
Rozaytee:
my luv..cheesy
come chop kiss am inzaa ozaa room
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by herich(m): 8:47pm On Feb 15, 2018
sexdoll:

Can you eliminate racism?
It might not be eliminated but are you OK with the existence of racism.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by paparazzi1987(m): 9:16pm On Feb 15, 2018
bobokeshington:

Motherfucker, e be like say your head nak ground today abi

Ungrateful Idiot. You asked question and i gave you answer.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by herich(m): 10:28pm On Feb 15, 2018
BigBrother9ja:

This guy is a fool
Your girls are so loose and cheap.
90 of girl I have fuckẹd in my life are igbó girls.
The first girl to give me bl0wjob (Cynthia kiss) is an igbó girl from imo state.
You will just die of hypertension as you carry the matter for head.
Bloody osu-ume boy tongue
That guy is a big fool.
You're totally wrong to say Igbo girls are so loose and cheap.
Igbo girls are more civilized in socializing with other tribes in Nigeria.
Girls from some tribes are very sensitive in dating guys who are not from their tribes. Most girls from some tribes would even prefer to date or go along with a truck pusher, illiterate dirty looking guys from their tribes than to date an educated, neat, handsome guys who are not from their tribes.
And that doesn't mean they're not cheap, but inferiority, lack of exposure and fear doesn't give them the confidence to mingle easily with men of other tribes
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by LaudableXX: 10:29pm On Feb 15, 2018
PrecisionFx:
AFONJANISTAN AFONJANISTAN AFONJANISTAN.

IGBO wanna be, U can never be an Igbo man because an Afonja Yoruba ndi dirty etere ure will always be ndi ure.

grin.

Argue with Oduduwa while am away.

Didn't I say it? shocked The 'juju the Yorubas cooked for you is working perfectly. Oya, you have mentioned their name 5 times. You still have 495 more mentions, to go. Get to work, boy! cheesy Onye aghala! Ị sụlụ afịa!

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by bobokeshington: 10:52pm On Feb 15, 2018
paparazzi1987:

Ungrateful Idiot. You asked question and i gave you answer.
olodo rapata
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by BigBrother9ja: 11:29pm On Feb 15, 2018
herich:

That guy is a big fool.
You're totally wrong to say Igbo girls are so loose and cheap.
Igbo girls are more civilized in socializing with other tribes in Nigeria.
Girls from some tribes are very sensitive in dating guys who are not from their tribes. Most girls from some tribes would even prefer to date or go along with a truck pusher, illiterate dirty looking guys from their tribes than to date an educated, neat, handsome guys who are not from their tribes.
And that doesn't mean they're not cheap, but inferiority, lack of exposure and fear doesn't give them the confidence to mingle easily with men of other tribes
I agree with you.

2 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by pazienza(m): 9:50am On Feb 16, 2018
I'm late to this thread.
But just have to make things clear.

1. Osu people are not discriminated against

2. People can decide not to give their daughter in marriage to you or allow their son marry your daughter for so many reasons ranging from
( a) Religion. I'm sure true Muslims don't give their daughters in marriage to non Muslims. An average Christian Igbo family won't give you their daughter, if you are Not Christian. There is even denomination discrimination between Anglicans, Catholics and Penticostals

(b) Ailment. If a family is known to die young as a result of a genetic disease, people would Naturally not like to give their daughter in marriage to those families, to avoid turning their daughters into widows early and to avoid their future grandchildren from suffering from such disease and early death.
This is what we call Umeh ( early death) In Igboland, and it's a rational decision and not a discriminatory One.

(c) Financial background. If your family are poor and not hardworking, no Igbo family would want to be linked with your family in marriage, as you are likely to be a liability, be you a wife or husband.

Igbos do this because we take marriages serious, we even have a saying : "Ogo bu chi onye ". Meaning, an in-law is ones personal guardian.
I'm yet to see any one running around shouting about being discriminated against in marriage issues because of the above issues, it's always about creating internet traffic and attention with the Osu news.

Osu is regarded as children of the gods by some Igbo communities that practice Osu system, they are deemed to be married to the gods. And when you go and marry them, you are challenging the gods and likely going to bring calamity upon yourself and your family.
Marrying them is considered a liability, just as marrying some one from a family known to die young of diseases unexplained. As doing so is seen as puting yourself in harm way.

The Osu thing can be amended and people re oriented that the ancient god's are no longer married to them, by appealing to Christianity beliefs.
The Igbo Catholic and Anglican clergies should lead the charge.

But want I don't want to hear is for someone to say that he is being discriminated against, because someone refused to give his daughter to you for marriage. Haba! Nah by force?
How about those whose marriage proposal were rejected on the background of their poor background, should they go online and start screaming discrimination as well?
There are many fishes in the ocean, Biko.

4 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by sexdoll: 10:45am On Feb 16, 2018
herich:

It might not be eliminated but are you OK with the existence of racism.

I may not be okay with racism.

But the thing is ...

Believe it or not,

Racism is natural.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by herich(m): 11:29pm On Feb 18, 2018
sexdoll:

I may not be okay with racism.

But the thing is ...

Believe it or not,

Racism is natural.
Racism is not natural, it's a habit that be learnt, taught.
And you comments were very vocal on defending racism.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Grupo(m): 9:13am On Apr 12, 2018
Pasmac14:
Recieve Christ. it's getting late. I don't know you but I was asked to give u dis message.
??
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by TheExclusive: 2:52pm On Mar 24, 2020
If ones grandfather married a third wife that is osu. And you are the grand daughter of the first wife, does that now make you osu?

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene / Bode Thomas Died Of Barking After Insulting Alaafin Of Oyo. How True? / The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.