Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,568 members, 7,955,109 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:09 PM

I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals (66694 Views)

Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want / 2 Lovers From Okija, Anambra Commit Suicide Over 'Osu' (Disturbing Pictures) / "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Nobody: 7:55am On Feb 15, 2018
bigfrancis21:

Oru/ohu means slave. Back in the slavery days, slavery in Igboland was known as Igba oru/ohu and people sold as slaves were called oru (Anambra lingo) or ohu (Imo/Abia lingo). Due to the popularity of slavery in eastern Igboland (modern day SE), SE Igbos became tantamount to 'slave' to Western Igboland (Delta Igbos) and till date, 'Igbo'/'Igbon' means slave in some Delta Igbo dialects such as Ika. In fact for this reason and ancient meaning of 'Igbo' in Delta Igboland, their early forefathers rejected the 'Igbo' tag because they didn't consider themselves as 'slaves'.

Osu as you already know is an outcast. Amadi is the opposite of Osu. Amadi means free born (non-osu). Amadi is also called Diala (Di ala = son of the land) or Diana (in Anambra lingo). Umeh is a different type of Osu.

Surprisingly, Nwosu/Nwaosu (child of osu) is a popular family surname in Igboland but it does not mean the family/bearer is Osu. Osu in this case means expertise or prodigy such as Osuji, Osuala etc.

"" In fact for this reason and ancient meaning of 'Igbo' in Delta Igboland, their early forefathers rejected the 'Igbo' tag because they didn't consider themselves as 'slaves'.""

Go back to ur village and tell whoever told u this trash that it is a blatant lie.

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by bigfrancis21: 7:58am On Feb 15, 2018
PrecisionFx:

"" In fact for this reason and ancient meaning of 'Igbo' in Delta Igboland, their early forefathers rejected the 'Igbo' tag because they didn't consider themselves as 'slaves'.""

Go back to ur village and tell whoever told u this trash that it is a blatant lie.

You do actually need some history lessons.

2 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by BigBrother9ja: 8:00am On Feb 15, 2018
letusbepieces:

WHO AGAIN IS OBSESSED WITH BECOMING IGBO?

EVERY OTHER TRIBE IN NIGERIA ARE NORMAL, EVEN FULANI.

THE ABNORMAL TRIBE OBSESSING ABOUT IGBO IS YORUBA.

U EVEN PASS A LAW RECENTLY IN LAGOS TO CALIM ALL IGBO PEOPLE CHILDREN AS YORUBA AND FORCE YORUBA LANGUAGE ON THEM.

EVEN THE HAUSAFULANI ARE NOT THAT MAD.

OSU YORUBA!
This guy is a fool
Your girls are so loose and cheap.
90 of girl I have fuckẹd in my life are igbó girls.
The first girl to give me bl0wjob (Cynthia kiss) is an igbó girl from imo state.
You will just die of hypertension as you carry the matter for head.
Bloody osu-ume boy tongue
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by cooltola(m): 8:01am On Feb 15, 2018
caon:
it is not a case of religious.believed mi a free born would rather marry a Muslim than an outcast.d issue is damn too spiritual to dive into.so it is not a case of marginalisation or what your parents want

still states they should go ahead.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Jman06(m): 8:03am On Feb 15, 2018
The worst is that the "osu" caste system as being practised in Enugu state is not even the real meaning of OSU. OSU is supposed to mean someone who is dedicated to the services of the gods, but in Enugu, what they do is class every late migrants to a land as "Osu" so that the early immigrants would capitalize on that to take undue political advantage of the so called OSU.

And the so called OSU people in most communities are usually the smartest and most educated.

As for the guys typing jargon here about the implication of marrying the so called OSU, i can only laugh at them because I have seen countless of such intermarriage and the couples are enjoying their marriages and blessed with cute kids.

2 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by BigBrother9ja: 8:06am On Feb 15, 2018
letusbepieces:

BIA! THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY.

THE gods CONSTANTLY WANT SOMETHING NEW.

THE ENTIRE YORUBA TRIBE WILL BE AN OFFER TOO GOOD FOR THE gods TO PASS IN PLACE OF THE HISTORICAL IGBOS INITIALLY OFFERED.

THE ONLY REASON WAS BECOS, WE HAD NOT DISCOVERED THE YORUBAS THAT FELL FROM THE gods AND CALL THEMSELVES DEMONS.

WE OFFER YORUBAS IN EXCHANGE FOR THEM.

THE gods WILL BE ELATED TO BE REUNITED WITH DEMONS THAT FELL FROM THE SKY.

FAMILY IN EXHANGE FOR OUR IGBO FAMILY TAKEN FROM US BY THE gods.
Lol
The gods that couldn't save 3 million people of your tribe from being slain by Nigerian soldiers.
Lol
Osu mumu

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by BigBrother9ja: 8:09am On Feb 15, 2018
gidgiddy:
One thing people should understand about the Osu cast system is that it is only an issue when it comes to marriage.

Not every family will support their child marrying an Osu, for some others, it is not a problem.

The way I see it is that any family can reject marriage proposal for a wide range of reasons, be it Osu or not.

The Osu system is outdated and bad abd is fast dying out but it still exists to a small degree.

But I hasten to add that an Osu is never treated badly in Igbo land. People dont shun them or stop relating them. I have even dated an Osu.

The reason why families dont always like to give out their child to an Osu is because of the rule that if an Osu has a child for you, you automatically become an Osu your self.
Shut the fùck up!
All igbos are osus by Gene
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by BigBrother9ja: 8:18am On Feb 15, 2018
schumastic:
Osu are people our ancestors used to do sacrifies to the gods for the difficulties they faced then, which includes disease, lack of rain, poor farm produce, children and babies dieing etc.

The gods then asked for human sacrifies to help with these issues. When a sacrifice is offered to gods it is damned evil to touch those things. Even in the bible when Abraham offer sacrifice to God, nobody eats the sacrify, it is burn to ashes.

The stigma that Osu have had today this that they were used for gods sacrifice and dimmed to the igbos as outcast.

To my understanding, most of then are very wealthy and brilliant people, their girls are very beautiful.

I myself will NEVER marry osu, not because I don't like them. It is because of the stigma the igbos has on them. For example, they do not involve in active igbo events. No one will elect an osun person as a governor, local chairmen, Eze, Chief, etc.

If an Osun people tries to speak on behalf of the igbo he/she is immediately discredited, because of this stigma. I still have great ambitions for myself and would not want something to hold me back.

If you are not igbo you can never understand. This thing will NEVER go away and I feel very sorry for them. We call it Ome na ala (The law of our land) We cannot leave ome na ala and start to do ome na elu (Not the law of the land)

When you go to village and see how these people leaves, you would feel sorry from them. They do not trade because nobody would buy from them. In school nobody plays with osu children etc, it is really terrible.

If you want to leave in diaspora all your life, them marrying osu will not really affect you. But if you plan sometime in the future to return back to Nigeria, hmmm, you really have to be very careful. Remember we do not only mary for ourselfs we marry for children as well, you do not want to give our children a bad start in life.

I am sorry I have to say this, but this is the way it is and I did not make it so. Remember that osu are human being like us too.
Lol
Please we need more education.
How can we identify an OSU?

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by maasoap(m): 8:25am On Feb 15, 2018
gidgiddy:
One thing people should understand about the Osu cast system is that it is only an issue when it comes to marriage.

Not every family will support their child marrying an Osu, for some others, it is not a problem.

The way I see it is that any family can reject marriage proposal for a wide range of reasons, be it Osu or not.

The Osu system is outdated and bad abd is fast dying out but it still exists to a small degree.

But I hasten to add that an Osu is never treated badly in Igbo land. People dont shun them or stop relating them. I have even dated an Osu.

The reason why families dont always like to give out their child to an Osu is because of the rule that if an Osu has a child for you, you automatically become an Osu your self.
With what you put up here, you're neither here nor there. Talking from both sides of mouth, a bit confused about where to stand on this issue.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by BigBrother9ja: 8:27am On Feb 15, 2018
Jman06:
The worst is that the "osu" caste system as being practised in Enugu state is not even the real meaning of OSU. OSU is supposed to mean someone who is dedicated to the services of the gods, but in Enugu, what they do is class every late migrants to a land as "Osu" so that the early immigrants would capitalize on that to take undue political advantage of the so called OSU.

And the so called OSU people in most communities are usually the smartest and most educated.

As for the guys typing jargon here about the implication of marrying the so called OSU, i can only laugh at them because I have seen countless of such intermarriage and the couples are enjoying their marriages and blessed with cute kids.
Keep quiet
All igbos are osus, òru, uhu and umeh
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by colossus91(m): 8:27am On Feb 15, 2018
Rozaytee:
OSU..ko osu ni does dat shiit still exist .mtcheeeew
booboo

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by jonvalek(m): 8:28am On Feb 15, 2018
Bro OSU is "Half Cast". Like ur famous Nollywood star " Ramsey Noauh Tokunbo Jr." is an OSU bcoz he's half 9ja, half Israelis or Lebanese. Atleast that's the miseducation I was meant to believe, personally I don't think that's the real mean of OSU and I don't care bcoz we as Africa are xoxo fücking superstitious.
ItzPrinceIB:
What Is Osu?
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by maasoap(m): 8:34am On Feb 15, 2018
schumastic:
Osu are people our ancestors used to do sacrifies to the gods for the difficulties they faced then, which includes disease, lack of rain, poor farm produce, children and babies dieing etc.

The gods then asked for human sacrifies to help with these issues. When a sacrifice is offered to gods it is damned evil to touch those things. Even in the bible when Abraham offer sacrifice to God, nobody eats the sacrify, it is burn to ashes.

The stigma that Osu have had today this that they were used for gods sacrifice and dimmed to the igbos as outcast.

To my understanding, most of then are very wealthy and brilliant people, their girls are very beautiful.

I myself will NEVER marry osu, not because I don't like them. It is because of the stigma the igbos has on them. For example, they do not involve in active igbo events. No one will elect an osun person as a governor, local chairmen, Eze, Chief, etc.

If an Osun people tries to speak on behalf of the igbo he/she is immediately discredited, because of this stigma. I still have great ambitions for myself and would not want something to hold me back.

If you are not igbo you can never understand. This thing will NEVER go away and I feel very sorry for them. We call it Ome na ala (The law of our land) We cannot leave ome na ala and start to do ome na elu (Not the law of the land)

When you go to village and see how these people leaves, you would feel sorry from them. They do not trade because nobody would buy from them. In school nobody plays with osu children etc, it is really terrible.

If you want to leave in diaspora all your life, them marrying osu will not really affect you. But if you plan sometime in the future to return back to Nigeria, hmmm, you really have to be very careful. Remember we do not only mary for ourselfs we marry for children as well, you do not want to give our children a bad start in life.

I am sorry I have to say this, but this is the way it is and I did not make it so. Remember that osu are human being like us too.
And if you and other people who believe that this practice is wrong are not ready to do anything about it, how will this discrimination end in the next 1000 years? Everyone of you is just burying his head in the sand hoping it's gone.

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by gidgiddy: 8:37am On Feb 15, 2018
BigBrother9ja:

Shut the fùck up!

But if the same Igbos say they want to go their way as Biafrans, it will be you Nigerians who will be ready to go to war in other to be with the same Igbos.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Amhappy(f): 8:39am On Feb 15, 2018
I don't blame her parents,the stigmatization is so real. People still fear this Osu thing because of this stigma. I happen to know a woman who married an Osu. Even though Her marriage is over 30yrs she said the associated stigma makes her regret the marriage. Can you imagine that? It's time traditional and religious leaders in Igboland end this rubbish once and for all. Even though theoretically they said they have ended it but in practice Osu caste system is very much alive.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by gidgiddy: 8:44am On Feb 15, 2018
maasoap:

With what you put up here, you're neither here nor there. Talking from both sides of mouth, a bit confused about where to stand on this issue.

There is no stand on this matter. In Igbo land, you can be rejected for marriage for a wide range of issues from your family name to the fact that your propective in-laws dont like your face. So if a person gets rejected for being an Osu, then that is not the right family to marry into.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by okeke00(m): 9:06am On Feb 15, 2018
freedomchild:
He should move on. Though I don't support this OSU stuff the issue is more spiritual and cultural than we think. As for those above saying that they'd marry anyone irrespective of his/her cultural inclination don't know anything.... How can you stop what you don't know it's root...... Better behave
shut the fuk up!!!!
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Mrkumareze(m): 9:40am On Feb 15, 2018
Pasmac14:
Recieve Christ. it's getting late. I don't know you but I was asked to give u dis message.

Enter bush chop grass. That's how u people lie upanda in the name of Christ. Who sent u the message?
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Mrkumareze(m): 9:45am On Feb 15, 2018
talk2emma:

So what do you think about it cos I no somebody going true same thing

My dear, follow your tradition. Don't allow the youthful attitude of thus generation deceive u
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Mrkumareze(m): 9:47am On Feb 15, 2018
Nathayas:
You surpose to live with wild beasts. Which spirit is greater than GOD.

You are still a toddler by the time you come to a better stage we can talk better
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Mrkumareze(m): 9:49am On Feb 15, 2018
melodyogonna:
ask my elders what? when my village is no longer practicing it!

Lol, I wish it's true bro but it's a mare word. When it comes to important things in the village watch your elders and their step.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Mrkumareze(m): 9:51am On Feb 15, 2018
anochuko01:

fogerit....
I'm sure they're not serious Christians.
Christ has redeemed me biko

May your faith lead u through . Don't derail ok .
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by liljaydee(m): 9:52am On Feb 15, 2018
Igbos with this there mumu tradition...... they are still living in the past undecided undecided undecided undecided my brother come Lagos come marry better girl jooor, leave those biafrans living in the past

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by liljaydee(m): 9:57am On Feb 15, 2018
no be only OSU na UNILAG

Mrkumareze:

Wise man, I read the comments above yours and I was like they 're kids . The spirit behind that OSU of a thing is not a child's play . Have seen disastrous effect of it
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by kitone: 10:07am On Feb 15, 2018
bros ,na because you no get money.

JON01:
Bros Learn to Move On
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Ucheamani(m): 10:33am On Feb 15, 2018
Mrkumareze:

Wise man, I read the comments above yours and I was like they 're kids . The spirit behind that OSU of a thing is not a child's play . Have seen disastrous effect of it

Yes! The spirit will hunt you, if u believe it, but I've seen people who married OSU over 30years ago, they're now in their 70s' children all married with kids. Bottom line is your believe system.
Jehovah the Almighty creator, much more wiser, powerful and superior to any other god or culture made men equal so theirs no basis 4 a cast system
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by aimmoney9: 10:35am On Feb 15, 2018
jonvalek:
Bro OSU is "Half Cast". Like ur famous Nollywood star " Ramsey Noauh Tokunbo Jr." is an OSU bcoz he's half 9ja, half Israelis or Lebanese. Atleast that's the miseducation I was meant to believe, personally I don't think that's the real mean of OSU and I don't care bcoz we as Africa are xoxo fücking superstitious.
This is how it began, in the olden days in Igbo land there was a group who thought themselves superior to others and thus in order to impose that on others they started killing the other groups through many means especially poisoning as these other group that were being killed were easy collectors(receive things for others easily, more of longer throat), thus the prevalence of poisoning them. With time the killed saw that if they do not do anything their group would be completely extinguished from the face of the earth thus, the last remaining of this group all ran to a shrine to protect them. The name of the shrine god was OSU, hence the name of this group of people. From then on anytime the other group whom always thought themselves as superior (now called AMADIS), tried to kill the other group the OSUS the god will fight for them....u can ask your fathers and mothers to corroborate the story...

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by ameri9ja: 10:44am On Feb 15, 2018
sexdoll:

And you think they've succeeded in correcting it?

They are continuously working on it, not say it is their tradition and has "spiritualit"!!
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Pigsandidiots: 10:51am On Feb 15, 2018
schumastic:

Spit on the babarian tribe. Just see those calling themselves God's people. Thank God i am not one. Thank you anyway for telling us more about your devilish attitude. Spit.

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by LaudableXX: 10:55am On Feb 15, 2018
PrecisionFx:

I know you will come inside here to play the ostrich. cheesy The man has told you the truth, and you are here claiming it is a lie, without any evidence to debunk his claims...continue!

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by LaudableXX: 10:56am On Feb 15, 2018
BigBrother9ja:

Shut the fùck up!
Cut the crap. You are going overboard. All Igbos are not osu. undecided
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by LaudableXX: 10:59am On Feb 15, 2018
gidgiddy:
But if the same Igbos say they want to go their way as Biafrans, it will be you Nigerians who will be ready to go to war in other to be with the same Igbos.
I actually feel sorry for your Biafra, because the discrimination against some of its citizens like Osu or Ume or Oru will be highly magnified and raised to the nth power. A society founded on discrimination, will only harvest more problems for itself. undecided

In this technological age, you have not been able to fight against such archaic superstitions which infringe on the human rights of a segment of your population, or discriminates against them. So you think your Biafra will automatically become an El Dorado, with this kind of practices, still going on? Chai! shocked

gidgiddy:
There is no stand on this matter. In Igbo land, you can be rejected for marriage for a wide range of issues from your family name to the fact that your propective in-laws dont like your face. So if a person gets rejected for being an Osu, then that is not the right family to marry into.

No wonder you people are fond of discriminating against other Nigerians, from different ethnic groups. sad You have had enough time to practise such acts, within your ethnic group against the Osu, Oru and Ume. How sad!

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi And His Wife Wuraola At His Palace (Photos) / Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? / Igbinedion Gifts Tiger To Oba Of Benin, Ewuare & It Roars At People (Video,Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.