Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,471 members, 7,954,842 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:41 AM

I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals (66693 Views)

Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want / 2 Lovers From Okija, Anambra Commit Suicide Over 'Osu' (Disturbing Pictures) / "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by greatfoly(m): 11:55pm On Feb 14, 2018
Oyindidi:
This OSU wahala still dey?
Still dey o. I know one lady who was rejected by her fiancee cos she's Osu.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by letusbepieces: 11:56pm On Feb 14, 2018
hollah123:
u are just an idiot, am sure u are a sec school leaver attempting waec d 5th time. grow up cos like if more than been a fool. this issue on ground is too sensitive for nitwits like u
uba1991:
u are a disgrace to 21st century

make una wait!

we never dey collect Yoruba demon heads for offering yet.

We still dey consultation stage. We need to seek audience with the gods and chief priest first, to ascertain if Yoruba demon will suffice.

Yoruba Osu!
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by LaudateII: 11:56pm On Feb 14, 2018
Nowenuse:
So much for a tribe like Igbo who claim to be the most educated, civilized and enlightened Nigerians.

What a shame on Igbos. Still practicing this archaic culture till date!

In fact, I was shocked while going through this thread. shocked In 2008, a similar thread was opened on NL, and most of the Igbo respondents on that thread either denied its' existence, or swore that the practice was dying out. undecided I am amazed to see that 10 years later, on this same NL, people are coming out to say it is still very much alive, and they are being lukewarm about phasing it out. A few are even defending it! Wonders shall never cease! shocked

Read all about it here: https://www.nairaland.com/23527/marry-osu/1

2 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by hollah123: 12:04am On Feb 15, 2018
letusbepieces:

make una wait!

we never dey collect Yoruba demon heads for offering yet.

We still dey consultation stage. We need to seek audience with the gods and chief priest first, to ascertain if Yoruba demon will suffice.

Yoruba Osu!
y are u constituting nuisance all over this sensitive thread, do u get paid for being stupid?

4 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by letusbepieces: 12:08am On Feb 15, 2018
hollah123:
y are u constituting nuisance all over this sensitive thread, do u get paid for being stupid?

Are u Igbo?

Y and how does this concern or involve u?

U will be useful if our consultation with the gods go in your favour.

Yoruba Osu!
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by LaudateII: 12:19am On Feb 15, 2018
hollah123:
The guy has a screw loose in his head. Just pity him. sad The 'juju those Yoruba people cooked for him is very effective. Can't you see that he cannot stop repeating their name?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by santricedupas(m): 12:47am On Feb 15, 2018
bobokeshington:
what is the meaning of "OSU"? I don't get it
ogun state university
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Rozaytee: 1:02am On Feb 15, 2018
OSU..ko osu ni does dat shiit still exist .mtcheeeew
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by FredrickPablo(m): 1:37am On Feb 15, 2018
It doesn't matter what anyone else may call you (e.g OSU)............You are what you say you are! However, you apparently have accepted (read called yourself) the OSU appellation and chosen to wallow in self pity and sorrow. If you're a born again Christian, you need to up your faith and use prayer to turn the tide regarding your marital destiny to wit this test of your faith as a new creature. You must not lose your divine marital blessing to an obsolete satanic superstition. Remember, with God all things are possible...............Don't give up bro!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by luminouz(m): 2:26am On Feb 15, 2018
Rozaytee:
OSU..ko osu ni does dat shiit still exist .mtcheeeew
I don't even care if u be OSU or Oshu or Osho!!
That ur fresh skin n watermelons already convinced me! tongue
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by efavour: 4:42am On Feb 15, 2018
freedomchild:
He should move on. Though I don't support this OSU stuff the issue is more spiritual and cultural than we think. As for those above saying that they'd marry anyone irrespective of his/her cultural inclination don't know anything.... How can you stop what you don't know it's root...... Better behave
The oyibo woman that stopped the killing of twins , Does she know the root? Africans will never progress with this mindset. Always afraid to change the status quo. If na white person champion the change now, you go just follow and won't ask question of root. Must white do everything for us?

5 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by efavour: 4:51am On Feb 15, 2018
Fifthwave:

Those tales are make believe! I am from a family of Osu! I have family members married to "Diala" and they are not facing problem whatsoever! Even after years of marriage so? Or are the repercursions selective?
Thank you my brother, I'm not osu, but I know some so called osu family, no one discriminates against anybody or maybe it's in my part of Anambra. Infact my town as a whole has abolished any form of discrimination whosoever when one family wanted to migrate cos their umunna would not attend their daughter's traditional marriage. Iglesias apologized to them and with all the church group, whatever nonsense was abolished and cleansed.You can't call yourself a Christian and condemn what God has cleansed. And you can't mix Christianity with traditional nonsense in the name of idol worshipping forefathers. You can as well go and worship idol with them.

2 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by stainless239(f): 4:54am On Feb 15, 2018
Eh ya...
Didi don't mind them
Just go to Udi siding or Ngenevu and pick a girl
They won't mind your OSU status

or you can come to sonunth
*dodges snake venom*
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by schumastic(m): 4:56am On Feb 15, 2018
Osu are people our ancestors used to do sacrifies to the gods for the difficulties they faced then, which includes disease, lack of rain, poor farm produce, children and babies dieing etc.

The gods then asked for human sacrifies to help with these issues. When a sacrifice is offered to gods it is damned evil to touch those things. Even in the bible when Abraham offer sacrifice to God, nobody eats the sacrify, it is burn to ashes.

The stigma that Osu have had today this that they were used for gods sacrifice and dimmed to the igbos as outcast.

To my understanding, most of then are very wealthy and brilliant people, their girls are very beautiful.

I myself will NEVER marry osu, not because I don't like them. It is because of the stigma the igbos has on them. For example, they do not involve in active igbo events. No one will elect an osun person as a governor, local chairmen, Eze, Chief, etc.

If an Osun people tries to speak on behalf of the igbo he/she is immediately discredited, because of this stigma. I still have great ambitions for myself and would not want something to hold me back.

If you are not igbo you can never understand. This thing will NEVER go away and I feel very sorry for them. We call it Ome na ala (The law of our land) We cannot leave ome na ala and start to do ome na elu (Not the law of the land)

When you go to village and see how these people leaves, you would feel sorry from them. They do not trade because nobody would buy from them. In school nobody plays with osu children etc, it is really terrible.

If you want to leave in diaspora all your life, them marrying osu will not really affect you. But if you plan sometime in the future to return back to Nigeria, hmmm, you really have to be very careful. Remember we do not only mary for ourselfs we marry for children as well, you do not want to give our children a bad start in life.

I am sorry I have to say this, but this is the way it is and I did not make it so. Remember that osu are human being like us too.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by chuks34(m): 5:07am On Feb 15, 2018
quinSonia:
4 dis kind modern life...dem still dy call dis hmfine bobo "OSU"

spits on this thread

Spits on this thread or the parents
Just behave urself

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Comely03: 5:10am On Feb 15, 2018
Don't worry yourself bro they shall live to regret their actions and decision. Anyway I can replace her. grin
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Comely03: 5:13am On Feb 15, 2018
Don't worry yourself bro they shall live to regret their actions and decision. Anyway I can replace her. grin
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Eze2000(m): 5:54am On Feb 15, 2018
letusbepieces:

BIA! THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY.

THE gods CONSTANTLY WANT SOMETHING NEW.

THE ENTIRE YORUBA TRIBE WILL BE AN OFFER TOO GOOD FOR THE gods TO PASS IN PLACE OF THE HISTORICAL IGBOS INITIALLY OFFERED.

THE ONLY REASON WAS BECOS, WE HAD NOT DISCOVERED THE YORUBAS THAT FELL FROM THE gods AND CALL THEMSELVES DEMONS.

WE OFFER YORUBAS IN EXCHANGE FOR THEM.

THE gods WILL BE ELATED TO BE REUNITED WITH DEMONS THAT FELL FROM THE SKY.

FAMILY IN EXHANGE FOR OUR IGBO FAMILY TAKEN FROM US BY THE gods.

This is a taboo. The day that there is a way to beat it a man will be allowed to marry his blood sister.

I am a man who is very choicy in women. I like em big, light skinned and beautiful. I found her once. in my town in imo state. But she was OSU, an outcast. I had to give up on her without even making a move. And babe was a nurse too!

In my town, the Jehova witness church is built on OSU land. no fist class citizen goes there even by mistake

The Mose christainty has done is to allow a shallow mix up with these people. We can play with them, visit them or buy stuff from them but when things start getting serious elders will start warning u and then the bans will...you must not go there again they will say.

only new generation overlook this taboo but not for long. Even if this guy was Dangote son, no first class citizen in Igbo land will attend his traditional weding

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by zudozz: 7:02am On Feb 15, 2018
My brother you are a star and a moon you are very handsome and you a celebrity..No mind all that nonsense.. When one did not even make any extra effort to be born by a particular parent.. People can be mean for no good reason.. I told them last time in the village that I was so pissed with d Osu Thing that if I did nt meet n marry my wife here in Lagos I would gone back to our village and married from one of those families they call OSU..Let me see what my parents n family will do... BROTHER YOU ARE WONDERFULLY MADE..FUCCC Anyone that wants to take it away from you with such Nonsense. In my place the So called Osu people are the richest.. With very beautiful daughters..BIG BOYS DATE AND SPOIL THEIR DAUGHTERS BUT WONT MARRY THEM AT D END OF THE DAY.. RABISH!

meanwhile I salute your courage and boldness..And I want to assure you that you are first class citizen.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by bigfrancis21: 7:09am On Feb 15, 2018
Tetragramaton:
Please someone should differentiate ohu, OSU, umeh, oru and diala. I'm confused o

Oru/ohu means slave. Back in the slavery days, slavery in Igboland was known as Igba oru/ohu and people sold as slaves were called oru (Anambra lingo) or ohu (Imo/Abia lingo). Due to the popularity of slavery in eastern Igboland (modern day SE), SE Igbos became tantamount to 'slave' to Western Igboland (Delta Igbos) and till date, 'Igbo'/'Igbon' means slave in some Delta Igbo dialects such as Ika. In fact for this reason and ancient meaning of 'Igbo' in Delta Igboland, their early forefathers rejected the 'Igbo' tag because they didn't consider themselves as 'slaves'.

Osu as you already know is an outcast. Amadi is the opposite of Osu. Amadi means free born (non-osu). Amadi is also called Diala (Di ala = son of the land) or Diana (in Anambra lingo). Umeh is a different type of Osu.

Surprisingly, Nwosu/Nwaosu (child of osu) is a popular family surname in Igboland but it does not mean the family/bearer is Osu. Osu in this case means expertise or prodigy such as Osuji, Osuala etc.

3 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Ifynwabueze: 7:26am On Feb 15, 2018
It is well Bruh
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by BigBrother9ja: 7:27am On Feb 15, 2018
Amarabae:
The parents are backward in thinking.
Osu is a practice in SOME part of Igboland that has faded away,
Only Ignorant people make a big thing out of it.
There is nothing like osu, the Ancient Arochukwu people invented that stuff to deceive people and have an easy access to people to sell off as slaves back then.
They were civilized then and many Igbo communities hire them as judges, those who the law is against were casted away and they become osu,
In the night, the aros through their Abam warrior mercenaries will come and kidnap those people and sell them to the white man.

The guy should try another girl pls.
What a handsome young man.
Fact, all igbos are osus
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by BigBrother9ja: 7:29am On Feb 15, 2018
letusbepieces:

THEY HAVE ALL HEADED TO YORUBA AND WE WILL NOT HESITATE TO PROSCRIBE YORUBA FROM COMING TO IGBOS FOR MARRIAGE.

ANY IGBO FAMILY THAT DARES MARRY ANY OF THEIR CHILDREN TO YORUBA WILL BE CONDEMN AND REFERED TO AS OSU OPENLY.

IT TAKES ONE MEETING AND ONE ANNOUNCEMENT TO ACCOMPLISH THAT AND BELIEVE ME, MY PEOPLE WILL FLEE FROM YORUBAS LIKE THE PLAGUE.
Shut up osu
Who wants to marry your CHEAP girls
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by BigBrother9ja: 7:32am On Feb 15, 2018
letusbepieces:
THESE DAYS WEN I SEE AN IGBO PERSON MARRIED TO YORUBA, I JUST KNOW WAT THEY ARE.

SO I FREELY SAY THE WORD.

OSU!

AND U KNOW THE FUNNY THING, IT ALSO EXTEND TO THE YORUBA.

OSU IS LIKE A SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASE, IT IS INFECTIOUS AND TRANSFERED THROUGH MARRIAGE.

THAT IS Y U SEE SOME IGBO MARRIED TO YORUBAS.

THEY AND THE YORUBAS ARE OSU.
Shut up!
All igbos to me are osus.
I don't call igbos any other names apart from osu alusi
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by oloriLFC(f): 7:32am On Feb 15, 2018
bobokeshington:

we no get for my own community o...
got me laughing grin
bobokeshington:

we no get for my own community o...
got me laughing
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by BigBrother9ja: 7:39am On Feb 15, 2018
letusbepieces:

ARE U YORUBA?

U ARE BETTER OFF STICKING TO YOUR YORUBA BECOS, IF U JUMP THE FENCE.

U ARE OSU.

ANY IGBO DAT MARRY U IS OSU AND BY EXTENSION U ARE OSU YORUBA.
Shut up osu
Which one is osù again?
Are you any special?
I thought all igbos are osus like you regard Yorubas as afonja
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by BigBrother9ja: 7:42am On Feb 15, 2018
sexdoll:

When the whites are racially stigmatizing the blacks in America and even in Europe, tell me please, how is it the fault of the black man that he is born black?
Who is black and who is white?
You people are just mentally blind.
Check your skin very well. Are you truly black?
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by BigBrother9ja: 7:45am On Feb 15, 2018
chizpim:
this OSU thing is highly spiritual, for you young generation who don't know anything about it. tribes who don't have OSU in their place the spirit has no effect. put if u have OSU in your village please don't dear to marry them or add farm product to ur own farm. my mother had a female friend (her best friend) she married OSU , the spiritual problem the woman had was unspeakable till she died. she gave birthday to a child partially born less. A woman woman who was full of life and healthy before she married to the OSU family automatically became a product of perpetual sickness. the family had to initial her in the traditional rite for her to b an OSU. The one that really surprised my mother was when she joined her friends cocoyam with her own. although my grand father warned my mum not to do it she instead she will use fertilizer to improve her yield . she did her cultivation add fertilizer to her farm, wow every where was greenish and she was expecting bumper harvest. on the day of harvest , she uproot her cocoyam everything had no tuber in it. my mother was surprise she couldn't alter a word.
this world we see is a very deep place, nothing really has changed it still the same.
Lol
Useless piece
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by BigBrother9ja: 7:46am On Feb 15, 2018
letusbepieces:
OSU HAVE BEEN THERE BEFORE I WAS BORN AND IT WILL ALWAYS BE THERE.

WE DONT HAVE TO MAKE LEGISLATION, IT IS SELF REGULATORY.

WE WILL MAKE ANNOUNCEMENT AS WITH REGARDS THE OSU YORUBAS AND BAN THEM FROM SPREADING THEIR OSU TO US IGBOS THROUGH MARRIAGE.

DAT IS BAN YORUBA FROM COMING TO MARRY IGBO OR IN IGBO LAND.

ANYBODY THAT GIVES OUT THEIR CHILDREN TO YORUBA WILL BE CONDEMN AS OSU.
Your cheap girls?
Lol
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Nobody: 7:51am On Feb 15, 2018
maasoap:

Big lie!

Try again next week.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by BigBrother9ja: 7:51am On Feb 15, 2018
letusbepieces:
ANY IGBO FAMILY DAT GIVE THEIR CHILDREN TO YORUBA FOR MARRIAGE.

WE ALREADY KNOW WAT THEY ARE.

WE WILL SAY THE WORD.

OSU!
This osu-ume boy and and foolishness grin
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by ocheblaize: 7:53am On Feb 15, 2018
Good answer grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
AerialMapper:

Osun State University

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi And His Wife Wuraola At His Palace (Photos) / Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? / Igbinedion Gifts Tiger To Oba Of Benin, Ewuare & It Roars At People (Video,Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.