Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,931 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:28 PM

WEB...Travails of a detective. - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / WEB...Travails of a detective. (27178 Views)

First Middle-grade Mystery/detective Novel Series By An African Writer / THE WITNESS (A Detective Kolapo Story) / THE CHASE (A Detective Kolapo Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 7:11am On Feb 21, 2018
Hope y'all know this is a work of fiction, somethings might actually relate to the Nigerian police academy and the force at large. but every similarities i added was to spice up the story.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 7:12am On Feb 21, 2018
Cadec007:
When is ur nxt post?
I think i'll be posting thrice in a week.
And i think I'm done for this week, although i might still drop one more update,
Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Cadec007(m): 2:11pm On Feb 21, 2018
jhurney:

I think i'll be posting thrice in a week.
And i think I'm done for this week, although i might still drop one more update,
ok
Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 5:19am On Feb 22, 2018
EPISODE SIX

When we got to the scene, dead bodies were on the ground, mostly policemen, about five of them.

i was really shocked and questioned God in my mind although i did not really have a personal relationship with him. More was my shock when i saw how confident the armed robbers were, they stood in the middle of the road with an aura of pride visible around them.

Even the experienced police officers in our van were not prepared for that kind of situation, they all thought it was a simple robbery incident which was obviously why they brought leke and i along, we had to fight and we did.

As we approached the bank, the robbers started shooting sporadically at us, the driver of our van quickly took cover behind a police vehicle already destroyed by the armed robbers, i accessed the robbers and estimated their number to be in the range of twenty-five to thirty, as the ones outside were fifteen in number, making a mental calculation, i deduced that an equal or lesser number will be inside the bank.

Leke looked so confident when i gazed at him which got me more scared although my mind was very much at work.

The leader of our team already started shouting orders even in his confused state, we were ten in number and he was at loss of what to do, but i really admired his courage. We all ran out of the car and took cover behind our vehicles, we were armed with M16 rifles with moderate bullets, i slowly peeped from behind the van and saw the robbers advancing towards us, i informed the others and we sprayed sporadically in their direction, one of them was hit and the remaining took cover inside the shops adjacent to the bank.

Neither the robbers nor the policemen left their position, both were guarding their lives. sergeant niyi get in the van and drive the car slowly to serve as our cover, the rest get to the left hand side of the van, the team leader ordered, The van started moving slowly and we all scrambled to take cover, the robbers on seeing the car move towards them started another round of shooting,
we returned the shots quickly as they no longer had any cover, five of them were hit in the exchange. At that very moment their counterparts came out of the bank and we were left exposed to them....

3 Likes

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 5:23am On Feb 22, 2018
That is the last update for this week. Thank y'all
Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Cadec007(m): 10:06am On Feb 22, 2018
jhurney:
That is the last update for this week.
Thank y'all
ok....but M16 rifles? is it not a little bit sophisticated for regular policemen who are not even in the special weapons unit or police special forces unit.

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 4:48pm On Feb 22, 2018
Cadec007:
ok....but M16 rifles? is it not a little bit sophisticated for regular policemen who are not even in the special weapons unit or police special forces unit.
my bad, i just love the weapon. it was the first gun that came to my mind.
Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 4:51pm On Feb 22, 2018
mention some more people please...let's hype this piece.
Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Cadec007(m): 5:31pm On Feb 22, 2018
jhurney:

my bad, i just love the weapon. it was the first gun that came to my mind.
yeah i understand i like it too but my favourite rifle is HK416 love it so much. Check it out its very nice.

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Cadec007(m): 5:33pm On Feb 22, 2018
jhurney:
mention some more people please...let's hype this piece.
kk but would there be romance so that gals can blend in

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Cadec007(m): 7:02pm On Feb 22, 2018
Lonewolf23, biadefolar Gucciqueen38 twoclans bimberry1307 bibidear cyndy1000, electrica, queenitee kimberlywest lovingyouhun centino hadamsom nobody correctguy101........oya all of you pls pullover OP needs our comments ...........remember to mention your NL friends and family.

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by cyndy1000(f): 12:07pm On Feb 24, 2018
Thanks dear for the mention.

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by queenitee(f): 5:54pm On Feb 24, 2018
Thanks for the mention, I'm here

2 Likes

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 11:26pm On Feb 28, 2018
There will be an update tomorrow, including next tomorrow and until the week runs out.
Thank y'all.

More comments please.
Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Cadec007(m): 11:45am On Mar 01, 2018
jhurney:
There will be an update tomorrow, including next tomorrow and until the week runs out.
Thank y'all.

More comments please.
ok thank you in advance.......*whispers* i want to see more weapon action;-)

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 3:46pm On Mar 01, 2018
*EPISODE* _SEVEN_

We were all at loss of what to do next, they opened fire on us, some were hit while the others took cover in the shops. Although it wasn't safe as the robbers could decide to advance towards us which will be the end as we were outnumbered and without a reasonable cover.
We were still pondering on what to do next, when we heard sirens in the distance, it was another backup, we waited until the gunshots was evident in the air before we came out. We resumed shooting as we walked slowly in the direction of our wrecked van.

The culprits were caught in the middle and they were being hit from both sides, they drastically reduced in number and had no choice than to surrender. They laid down their weapons and we rounded them up. We counted our casualties, eight police officers were dead, five from the ones we came to back up and three from our side. Leke was among the dead.
We went back to the academy after dropping the deceased in the hospital.

On getting to the academy, concerned trainees and few instructors rushed towards us as the van came to a halt. Pity and disappointment was visible on their faces when five of us came down from the vehicle. The commandant of the academy addressed us in his office, he personally apologised to me expressing his deep regrets, claiming he didn't know of the situation before he approved the chief instructor's request to take us along.

The incident made me know how dangerous my path was going to be, I made a resolve to stop criminal activities with all my power and decided to make more friends and less enemies.

I forgot about leke's death. After the occurrence My popularity increased, my mates thought of me as a hero, my instructors were always quick to reference me whenever someone misbehaved.

You mean you just acted on impulse? Tinu asked. Yes, I was just doing whatever my instincts instructed me to do, I replied. But to be sincere, I was just lucky, I added.

I really envy you, she replied playfully, I smiled as I gently hit her shoulders. We had formed a close bond since I returned from that incident that nearly killed me.

We heard the siren sound and took to our heels, we dare not be late for the last parade before our two weeks break.

You must not come a second after twelve pm on Sunday the twenty seventh of this month, you are dismissed, the commandant concluded. As we all scrambled to leave the premises .

We were officially on break, I said my goodbyes and boarded a bus back home where more drama awaited me...

4 Likes

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by itsandi(m): 4:05pm On Mar 01, 2018
Interesting update smiley Enjoy other interesting stories on Tushstories via

www.tushstories.com

#Read!

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Cadec007(m): 7:15pm On Mar 01, 2018
I can see the romance part coming up.....nxt plz

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Canme4u(m): 7:25pm On Mar 01, 2018
Nice story, OP kindly mention me whe you drop next update.

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 5:07am On Mar 02, 2018
EPISODE EIGHT

My mind was racing in the bus before I got hme. The street where our house was located links directly to the main road where the bus stop is situated, so there was no how I could come around discreetly without being noticed.
Right there in the junction, shops were scattered around.

As I got down from the vehicle, I tried to see if I could get a cab or bike that will take me home directly, and to my dismay there was none. I strapped my backpack and crossed to the other side of the road.

Mother's shop where she sold provisions was also in that junction and I hoped in my mind that no one will notice me as I walked home. I already walked past almost six shops when I heard someone shout james, it was not until the the third time that I reasoned that my name was james, since it's been long someone called me by my maiden name.

Matthews james, what a change, I could barely recognize you, but I can never miss your walking posture from behind although you really look different now, he said. I fully turned back and tried to picture his face in my memory, sorry, i cant remember your face, i finally replied him. Wow, you dont mean it, i was your seatmate in primary school, you were well known as my friend, He concluded. Ok, please what is your name? I asked, Ayo williams he replied.

What! I shouted, attracting the attention of people around, the name finally rang a bell, how could i ever forget ayo williams, my only friend when i was young, you've really changed, sorry i did not immediately recognize you, i said.

No problem, let me walk you home, i was glad in my heart as his presence around me will not allow the attention of people to be focused on me, we caught up on old times, ayo was in his second year at the prestigious ladoke akintola university of technology, he was majoring in computer science.
What about you, where are you? The police academy i replied without much ado. He seemed not surprised based on the straight expression on his face. That's nice he finally replied.

We reached our house before ayo turned back but not without promising to visit later in the day, i waved him as i brought out my mobile phone to call mother, as the house was locked. I could not help but wonder how ayo was able to recognize my walking posture after all this years...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 5:08am On Mar 02, 2018
Canme4u:
Nice story, OP kindly mention me whe you drop next update.
it's here
Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 5:15am On Mar 02, 2018
There is a whatsapp group for this story, you can join via this link. https:///FMEipYWwX860f7zoSqffe4
some people may have only whatsapp subscriptions. The whatsapp updates is also in line with this platform.

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 5:19am On Mar 02, 2018
jhurney:
There is a whatsapp group for this story, you can join via this link. https:///FMEipYWwX860f7zoSqffe4
some people may have only whatsapp subscriptions. The whatsapp updates is also in line with this platform.
https:///FMEipYWwX860f7zoSqffe4
Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Cadec007(m): 9:55am On Mar 02, 2018
Fr ayo to remember him through just his walking posture means he was his case study back in school......hmmm still following boss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 3:56pm On Mar 02, 2018
This update is for cadec, seems like you are my biggest fan.
Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 3:57pm On Mar 02, 2018
EPISODE NINE...

I was about seating on the bench in front of our building when i saw tolu running towards me. she's still the same old tolu, tall, beautiful and always smiling. People said we looked alike and we were supposed to be twins, although some still mistake us to be twins, she was always against their claims and always quick to tell whoever cares to listen that she is my elder sister and was born roughly two years before me, in those scenario I'll just look on in silence and keep on smiling. I've never respected her as my senior.

I cast aside the thoughts and walked briskly towards her, i hugged her before i started pulling her hair. All this while, james! You only called me twice or once, you only call your mum very often, she said.

No, you've not stopped lying, i called you more than two times, even close to a dozen times, i exaggerated as i was really guilty of not calling her.

She only hissed and dragged me towards the door, come and gist me joor. I had barely sat down when mum also came barging in, she held me close to her bosom that i almost choked, mother's love could not be compared with anybody's, tolu just looked on and was making some funny faces.

Tolu get your brother something to eat, mom said. I was eating when mummy asked me why It took so long before we were given a break.

I almost choked on my food when i heard her question, truth be told we had been given two breaks before the present one but i stayed back at the academy.

I couldn't confess to mum, as she could term it to another thing. I cleared my throat and just nodded, thinking of how to reply her. Thinking of how i was going to evade that question, i quickly told her i was asked to wait behind at the academy by my instructors since i was among the outstanding ones. she seemed convinced and kept quiet.

Mum went back to her shop while tolu stayed behind. I finished my meal and went to my room so i could freshen up, i was about sleeping when i remembered my phone was off. I switched on my phone, opened the messenger app and started chatting with few of my friends.

I woke up around six in the evening with my phone screaming and vibrating on my chest, it was tolu, we talked for some minutes before i disconnected the call to chat with her, before i slept off again.

I thought i heard someone call my name, i mumbled to myself. James open the door, i heard tolu shout...

2 Likes

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Cadec007(m): 10:36pm On Mar 02, 2018
jhurney:
This update is for cadec007, seems like you are my biggest fan.
thank you very much.....

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Cadec007(m): 10:38pm On Mar 02, 2018
Suspense!

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Canme4u(m): 2:24pm On Mar 03, 2018
Nice one bro

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 6:10pm On Mar 03, 2018
EPISODE TEN

Let's play ‘PES’, she finally voiced out, after i stood for some minutes trying to figure out if the person smiling was the same person that just shouted, ok I hope you love the idea of been trashed, i replied.

“ I used to feel so devastated,
At times i thought we'd never
make it, but now we on our
to greatness and all it ever
took was patience”

I was singing along when i heard some one knock on our door. I spent a week at home already and listening to songs was part of my daily routine since i had no friends to visit in the neighbourhood and following mom to her shop was not an option, tolu who always kept me company had gone for her jamb lesson, i pray she gains admission this time around, i mumbled.

Who's there? I asked as i approached the door. Ayo' The person replied from outside. Ayo williams i repeated to verify. Yes, the person replied.
I opened the door and shook hands with him, been a while, i said. Yes, i've been busy of late, he replied as he sank into a seat, he was obviously fatigued.

Hmmm, joey badass. Are you his fan? Ayo asked me. Not really, i just love this particular song, it's kinda motivational, i replied.
You should hear ''500 benz'' you'll wonder how the guy gets his flows, joey badass is good, i must admit, ayo concluded.

I prefer lecrae to any other rapper, i said as i walked into the kitchen to get ayo water.

I had long concluded to open up to ayo concerning my suspicion towards him.

I entered the sitting room and offered ayo the cup of water i got for him, i reduced the volume of the speaker as i sat on the seat directly in front of him. Ayo finished the water with a couple of gulps. I was about voicing my opinion when ayo pointed to our family photo pasted on the wall, What of your dad? He asked, i only see your mom and sister very often. I thought he comes home every weekend, he added.

He's dead, i finally replied him after what seemed like ages. How did he know dad came home every weekend? Even if he knew, we last saw eachother when we were young, is his brain that sharp?

This guy is getting more suspicious, i thought to myself. Sorry, i never knew he is dead, i'm sorr...he was about saying when i interrupted him.

Ayo williams, we were friends when we were kids, around seven year olds then. Yet you still remember my walking posture, and you know my late dad comes home every weekend before his death, who are you exactly? I concluded by asking him....

4 Likes

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Cadec007(m): 6:46pm On Mar 03, 2018
Ghen ghen ghen ghen

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Naked Truth (18+) / Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him / Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.