Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,666 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism (22157 Views)

Saraki’s Loyalists To Rubbish Buhari’s Ministerial List As Rivals Plot His Remov / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless / Picture Of Slums In The Usa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Kobojunkie: 3:54pm On Apr 24, 2010
ROFLMAO!!!!

Someone opens a thread but immediately takes offense when asked what the source of his information is. Even He did not do his homework to learn if that number is legit or not. Go to the Lagos State website to understand where those figures probably came from. It is way too easy to decide folks are LYING right, but definitely HARD WORK to show where you get your information and where your conclusion is substantiated, right?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by labiyemmy(m): 6:06pm On Apr 24, 2010
Sometimes, it is better to ignore foolish people who distorts issues just to make an invalid point.

BBC also claims Moses - who can not speak any correct sentence in English, is a Marine Engineering Student of Ogun State University- only fools are quickly decieved by the entire charade?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by EloSela(f): 6:12pm On Apr 24, 2010
BBC Report on Lekki free Trade Zone. For those who claim the BBC only focus on the worst of Nigeria.

[flash=400,345]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/nk1bG57flNw&feature=player_embedded[/flash]

The BBC Trust in Nigeria

[flash=400,345]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/DGv4WtaQiqs[/flash]
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 6:52pm On Apr 24, 2010
@labiyemmy:

BBC also claims Moses - who can not speak any correct sentence in English, is a Marine Engineering Student of Ogun State University- only fools are quickly decieved by the entire charade?

I swear to gawd, that one was an OBVIOUS LIE! grin grin grin grin grin

He that is always afraid to go to Lagos because "it is too rough, and they always want to sheet him of his money" grin grin grin grin grin grin

If I was an OSU student or alumni I would suicide bomb the BBC for embarassing my school. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 7:11pm On Apr 24, 2010
EloSela:

BBC Report on Lekki free Trade Zone. For those who claim the BBC only focus on the worst of Nigeria.

[flash=400,345]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/nk1bG57flNw&feature=player_embedded[/flash]

The BBC Trust in Nigeria

[flash=400,345]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/DGv4WtaQiqs[/flash]

Are they having a laugh in the first video? What's recession got to do with it? Nigeria has been like that forever and a day.

Lol @ Dubai of West Africa rotfl
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 7:11pm On Apr 24, 2010
BTW, Thanks for posting the videos.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by onyengbu1(m): 8:05pm On Apr 24, 2010
some people can never ever admit that they are wrong.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by GODSON2009(m): 9:37pm On Apr 24, 2010
personally,and this is a personal opinion i really dont want to see what is going on in lekki free trade zone,i dont want to know what is going on in lekki phase 1,vgc asokoro e.t.c because i dont own properties there.
i dont need to be reminded of how much politicians and their cronies have rped us and our resources,i will rather watch the bbc sries over and over again to discover and applaud the resourefullness,postive optimism e.t.c of the average nigerian i preffer following the progress of vocal slender than some white washed lekki free trade zone whch is geared towards the upper crust oligarchs in the society
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by SapeleGuy: 11:02pm On Apr 24, 2010
11 million, 7 million or 3 million people does not change the fact that too many are living in such terrible conditions. Don't shoot the messenger.

What improvements can be made ?

I suggest repatriation and controlled migration - if you don't have anything tangible to offer Lagos stay in your village.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 11:50am On Apr 25, 2010
Listen to what the reporter said, anything between 4-7 million live here, and we have not even started counting other slums.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO0hQHou1cw&hl=en[/flash]
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 12:05pm On Apr 25, 2010
frosbel:

Listen to what the reporter said, anything between 4-7 million live here, and we have not even started counting other slums.

A reporter made an on-the-spot guess and somehow you think it is a fact?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 12:09pm On Apr 25, 2010
Sagamite:

A reporter made an on-the-spot guess and somehow you think it is a fact?

If you listened carefully he said ' from reports ' , most likely local reports , from people on the ground.

nothing at all to do with him guessing
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 12:18pm On Apr 25, 2010
frosbel:

If you listened carefully he said ' from reports ' , most likely local reports , from people on the ground.

nothing at all to do with him guessing

Sorry, didn't notice that he mentioned it at the start of the clip. The one that I thought you were talking about was the comment he made at 2.01mins.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by EloSela(f): 1:10pm On Apr 25, 2010
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10826005

Ajegunle, a sprawling slum of about 5 million residents on the outskirts of Lagos

http://www.irinnews.org/report.aspx?reportid=60811

It is already one of the world’s mega-cities – a crime-ridden, seething mass of some 15 million people crammed into the steamy lagoons of southwest Nigeria. Two out of three Lagos residents live in a slum with no reliable access to clean drinking water, electricity, waste disposal - even roads.As the city population swells by up to eight percent every year, the slums and their associated problems are growing.

If do my calculations correctly the bolded above would suggest that there were at least 10 million people living in slums in 2006 when the article was written. Not far off from the BBC's figure of 11 million in 2010 and believable since the rate of immigration to Lagos has also increased since that time.

http://www.buildaid.org/docs/megaslums.pdf

A slum household is a "group of individuals living under the same roof that lack one or more: access of safe water, access to sanitation, secure tenure, durability of housing and sufficient living area"

Lagos, Nigeria. There are more than 100 slum settlements around Lagos, over twice as many as the 42 identified in 1983. Many are volatile and dangerous. Governor of Lagos, Nigeria said two-thirds of Lagos State’s total landmass could be classified as slums; “no one knows for sure the size of the population, let alone the number of murders each year or the rate of HIV infection.”

Sources: UN Habitat, Daily Times of Nigeria, UNESCO, UN Publications, World Resources Institute.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Kobojunkie: 1:14pm On Apr 25, 2010
The two out of three number is reason why I suspect it is more 75% of lagosians living in slums earlier, following the definition of slum in the dictionary. According to the Lagos State website, the numbers are likely more than the 11 million figure considering the data on the site is about 4 years old. Now people can choose to REdefine the word or the boundaries depicted on the lagos state website to help bolster their own side of this debate, but the reality is, the number of people living in slums, as many have tried to put across, remains 1 million too many.

Since, even the state still depends on the census for a more realistic count of the people living in the state, and in the slums, it makes no sense to conclude anyone who mentions what is on the state site is lying unless one is able to provide more accurate numbers substantiated by the right authority, I would think the state itself , in this case.

http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/index.php?page=subpage&spid=12&mnu=null
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by labiyemmy(m): 1:40pm On Apr 25, 2010
oh gosh! here they come again.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by ziga: 1:49pm On Apr 25, 2010
Nigerians don't even know the true population of Nigeria, and then some reporter who spent a couple of days is telling how many of us live in Lagos slums.

I'm sure he already saw 2 million people while he was producing the documentary.

Maybe he should also tell us the total population of Lagos.

Rubbish!!!
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by EloSela(f): 2:15pm On Apr 25, 2010
This report in 2008 puts the population of Ajegunle at 1.5million

Megaslum - Lagos

[flash=400,345]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/LFgb1BdPBZo[/flash]
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 2:18pm On Apr 25, 2010
ziga:

Nigerians don't even know the true population of Nigeria, and then some reporter who spent a couple of days is telling how many of us live in Lagos slums.

I'm sure he already saw 2 million people while he was producing the documentary.

Maybe he should also tell us the total population of Lagos.

Rubbish!!!

I don't know if the figures are right or wrong but as a reporter and westerner if he is given an estimate of 2m, another of 4m, another of 5.8m and another of 11m, I can guarantee you he would use the 11m one as that is more interesting, sensational and outrageous. The 3 status are the cup of tea of modern journalism, not necessarily using facts when reporting especially outside their borders.

His source might be right or it might be exaggerated.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 2:19pm On Apr 25, 2010
EloSela:

This report in 2008 puts the population of Ajegunle at 1.5million

Megaslum - Lagos

Exactly my last point.

This is a different estimate.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by hackney(m): 9:41am On Apr 26, 2010
The problem with living in a dump is that when you get used to
the dump, you some how stop believing it's a dump.
Like a rat.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by babsmii(m): 10:05am On Apr 26, 2010
Fvck BBC
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by bisiaet: 10:14am On Apr 26, 2010
BBC again?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by sayso: 10:16am On Apr 26, 2010
I think is time this our so call government  do something,PH is the picture that follows.

Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by sayso: 10:28am On Apr 26, 2010
another pix

Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by sayso: 10:43am On Apr 26, 2010
hear is another one.

Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by sayso: 10:46am On Apr 26, 2010
more pix

Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by sayso: 10:51am On Apr 26, 2010
more pix

Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by sayso: 10:54am On Apr 26, 2010
more pix

Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by debosky(m): 11:17am On Apr 26, 2010
If the number is NOT 11 million, let us release our own 'reliable' figures to dispute them.

As always, self pride and a desire not to be portrayed in bad light is often more important to 'well off' Nigerians than facing the reality of the abject poverty which is all around that we just look away from as we drive to work daily in our nice air conditioned cars.

A slum will always be defined by comparison to a 'basic' expected standard of housing and amenities. Anything below that basic level would be regarded as a slum.

That definition in itself is not the issue - the question is whether Nigeria has a definition for what WE regard as 'unacceptable' living conditions. If we do, how many people would we claim are living in unacceptable living conditions and what is the plan to eliminate or at least reduce the number of such dwellings?

Instead of consistent 'outrage' at the BBC, lets focus our attention on our governments at all levels to demand for a change.

There is a GREAT opportunity here to produce an excellent story about transformation - why not rapidly these areas and call in the same BBC in say two years to witness how much things have improved? That will do more to paint us in a good light than an arbitrary reduction of a number.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 11:45am On Apr 26, 2010
debosky:

If the number is NOT 11 million, let us release our own 'reliable' figures to dispute them.

As always, self pride and a desire not to be portrayed in bad light is often more important to 'well off' Nigerians than facing the reality of the abject poverty which is all around that we just look away from as we drive to work daily in our nice air conditioned cars.

A slum will always be defined by comparison to a 'basic' expected standard of housing and amenities. Anything below that basic level would be regarded as a slum.

That definition in itself is not the issue - the question is whether Nigeria has a definition for what WE regard as 'unacceptable' living conditions. If we do, how many people would we claim are living in unacceptable living conditions and what is the plan to eliminate or at least reduce the number of such dwellings?

Instead of consistent 'outrage' at the BBC, lets focus our attention on our governments at all levels to demand for a change.

There is a GREAT opportunity here to produce an excellent story about transformation - why not rapidly these areas and call in the same BBC in say two years to witness how much things have improved? That will do more to paint us in a good light than an arbitrary reduction of a number.

forget it 90% of lagosians including our big men effectively live in slums - i have occasionally been called to some of our oga patata's cribs (ikoyi) over maintenance issues. beautiful houses, well fortified, but the surroundings - rubbish dumps, open drains, bad roads - sad that rich nigerians don't seem to be concerned about their immediate surroundings - one can make excuses for the impoverished ones, but the rich ones. . .
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by debosky(m): 11:55am On Apr 26, 2010
^^

It's a case of mental poverty - with all the money, none of them think about putting in waste digesters, proper sewage treatment or garbage disposal. All many want to do is build a big house better than the neighbour's and show off.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Attacks Not Xenophobic, 89 Nigerians Killed Since 2017 - South Africa / Covid-19: We Have Not Received A Kobo From Private Donations – Lai Mohammed / 2023: Ipalobo Hary-Banigo, 2 Others Emerge Rivers PDP Senatorial Candidates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.