Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,384 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:04 PM

BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism (22151 Views)

Saraki’s Loyalists To Rubbish Buhari’s Ministerial List As Rivals Plot His Remov / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless / Picture Of Slums In The Usa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 10:35pm On Apr 23, 2010
EloSela:

@Frosbel

In the video you posted before was the man in red really doing a no.2 in public at 2.11? shocked shocked shocked, I have heard about this being the case in Lagos but I have never seen it shocked shocked shocked My eyes! My eyes!

lol.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 10:38pm On Apr 23, 2010
That video that Eldee used was from the [b]1994 [/b]era (the Lagos riot)
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 10:44pm On Apr 23, 2010
honeric01:

That video that Eldee used was from the [b]1994 [/b]era (the Lagos riot)

Sure, I posted it cos it reflects the attitude of our leaders toward the plight of the masses.

By the way 1994 was the exact year when I Fled Naija cos of Abacha's madness.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 11:18pm On Apr 23, 2010
^^And posting a video 15 years out of date accomplishes what? Or do you just enjoy vilifying and  condemning people?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by ziga: 11:31pm On Apr 23, 2010
@everybody

This thread is not about government developments or whatever.

BBC just told a big LIE.

11 million people. Haba.

Lagos should be in the guiness book of world records for world's largest slum.

And did i still hear someone defining a slum as open drains
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 11:36pm On Apr 23, 2010
tensor777:

^^And posting a video 15 years out of date accomplishes what? Or do you just enjoy vilifying and  condemning people?

And do you have to comment or are you seriously bored with yourself.

I have no time for people like you, bugger off.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 11:41pm On Apr 23, 2010
ziga:

@everybody

This thread is not about government developments or whatever.

BBC just told a big LIE.

11 million people. Haba.

Lagos should be in the guiness book of world records for world's largest slum.

And did i still hear someone defining a slum as open drains

BBC told a BIG Lie, but they also told a lot of truth about the state of affairs in Nigeria where the government is totally disengaged from the personal struggles of 11 million Lagosians.

Then again we have only mentioned Lagos,What about Ibadan and Onitsha, extraordinarily dirty places.

The BBC is doing Nigerians a favour cos we have more or less lost the plot.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Kobojunkie: 11:47pm On Apr 23, 2010
[size=13pt]Where did the @Poster get the 11million figure? What is the source of the information? Where exactly did the BBC make this statement? [/size]
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 11:50pm On Apr 23, 2010
I think BBC might be right.

Lagos state is 18 million strong in Population.

With the exception of a few places like VI, Lekki, Ikoyi, Ikeja and a few others, I am not aware of anywhere else that is unspotted by a degree of slumishness, no matter how small.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Kobojunkie: 12:24am On Apr 24, 2010
The video you posted states that there are already slums cropping up in VI/Ikoyi and other highbrow areas of Lagos. In my opinion, I think it make sense to believe that about 75% of the population live in the slums of lagos given that the developed areas of the state does not even house 25% of state residents.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by labiyemmy(m): 12:27am On Apr 24, 2010
Kobojunkie:

[size=13pt]Where did the @Poster get the 11million figure? What is the source of the information? Where exactly did the BBC make this statement? [/size]

You obviously were not opportuned to see when they showed the second part yesterday - try find it and watch it all over again.

Some statements people make just make me wanna throw up.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Kobojunkie: 12:29am On Apr 24, 2010
@labiyemmy:

You obviously were not opportuned to see when they showed the second part yesterday - try find it and watch it all over again.

Some statements people make just make me wanna throw up.

The second movie is already online and I have seen it all. Where is the source of this claim you made there? The movie DOES NOT CLAIM to know how many people live in Lagos, so where did you get your 18 million and 11 million numbers?

http://www.nigeriancuriosity.com/2010/04/bbcs-welcome-to-lagos-part-2-video.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+nigeriancuriosity/fpFU+(NIGERIAN+CURIOSITY
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by labiyemmy(m): 12:31am On Apr 24, 2010
Kobojunkie:

The second movie is already online and I have seen it all. Where is the source of this claim you made there? The movie DOES NOT CLAIM to know how many people live in Lagos, so where did you get your 18 million and 11 million numbers?

I have a feeling the one you watched had no voice, or is in Greek rather than in English - go watch it a million times, dont only watch, listen to the narator. I am not surprised anyway, where did I mention 18 million? Gosh! No point!
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Kobojunkie: 12:35am On Apr 24, 2010
I have a better feeling. . . . I don't think you have even seen any of the movies considering the narrative from the second is almost same from the first. And it clearly DOES NOT give a figure of how many people actually live in Lagos, let alone the total population of the slums in Lagos. Please go watch the movie, so you can get your facts right.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by labiyemmy(m): 12:38am On Apr 24, 2010
hisses
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Kobojunkie: 12:41am On Apr 24, 2010

Welcome to Nigeria -- Part 2 .
Narration . . . .

[size=13pt]DO you know something? More than half of the people who live on this little planet now live in the city. Human beings have become an urban species, and the cities we live in are growing by over a million people every single week. Things will never be the same again!

Welcome to Lagos, the largest city in Nigeria, and the fastest growing of all the megacities -- of 10 million people and more, which are popping up all over the world. Each week another 10 thousand people pour into the slums which make up 3/4's of Lagos and they are already full to bursting. Every square inch is being used by someone, and space is in such demand, that the city is sprauling in every direction it can:Even into the lagoon that surrounds it.[/size]

No where in the narration above are we given

a) 18 million number
b) 11 million number 

as you claim. . .  so where did you get your claim that the BBC says 11 million people live in slums, and 18 million people total live in Lagos?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by shotster50(m): 1:00am On Apr 24, 2010
We are all taking this the wrong way. Are we mad the BBC are lying or are we mad they should have kept it quiet.
Given that no Nigerian media would have the guts to do a documentary like this what do you expect. As for the BBC being right or wrong, if we had kept our house in order, we would not have had this coming.

Before we blame anybody, we should first of all blame ourselves. We have failed as a nation.  You cannot blame the foreign media for celebrating our failure when we are exposing our dirty  backsides for all to see.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 1:00am On Apr 24, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I have a better feeling. . . . I don't think you have even seen any of the movies considering the narrative from the second is almost same from the first. And it clearly DOES NOT give a figure of how many people actually live in Lagos, let alone the total population of the slums in Lagos. Please go watch the movie, so you can get your facts right.

Get your facts right, dimwit.

The programme does say 11m live in slums in Lagos at the ending, when giving concluding statements just before the credits, but if you bothered to note, your link for the programme does not provide filming up to the credits section.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Kobojunkie: 1:04am On Apr 24, 2010
shotster50:

We are all taking this the wrong way. Are we mad the BBC are lying or are we mad they should have kept it quiet.
Given that no Nigerian media would have the guts to do a documentary like this what do you expect. As for the BBC being right or wrong, if we had kept our house in order, we would not have had this coming.
Before we blame anybody, we should first of all blame ourselves. We have failed as a nation. You cannot blame the foreign media for celebrating our failure when we are exposing our dirty backsides for all to see.

But where exactly are the figures from ? Someone opens a thread claiming a lie was told and we are all quick to throw stones on the most part without ensuring the source of the claim.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by shotster50(m): 1:11am On Apr 24, 2010
@ Kobo, I have checked severally and i still cant get where those figures came from. Even the poster has gone mum about it.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 1:24am On Apr 24, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Exactly what I was saying

Dis Guy:

dont understand the question but
According to the BBC doc about 11million people out of 18million live in a slum, meaning 7 million people live in decent/well developed areas
Its not about the each individual its also about the infrastructure available in different parts of the state

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-360085.32.html#msg5159056
Oh thank you
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 1:26am On Apr 24, 2010
shotster50:

@ Kobo, I have checked severally and i still cant get where those figures came from. Even the poster has gone mum about it.

YOU LIVE IN LONDON?

Watch it on BBCiplayer, strain your ears at 57.56 seconds EXACTLY!
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Kobojunkie: 1:30am On Apr 24, 2010
OK . . .  I scanned through the videos and came up with the 11 million figure.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrZbigniewBrzezinski#p/u/0/8KNXWAZrepQ

Welcome to Lagos, Episode 2 ,  Narrative from the last couple of minutes

[size=13pt]Chubey, and the others, are just some of the 11 million people in the slums that give Lagos it's unique character, but all that might be about to change. A new breed of politicians have drawn up plans to demolish the slums, and turn Lagos to a megacity.[/size]

@Disguy, the link you provided does not link to a BBC document.

I am going to guess that the 18 million, and 11 million estimates come from the Lagos state website

http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/index.php?page=subpage&spid=12&mnu=null
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 1:32am On Apr 24, 2010
Kobojunkie:

OK . . . I scanned through the videos and came up with the 11 million figure.

You see?

I am never wrong! undecided
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 1:38am On Apr 24, 2010
Sagamite:

You see?

I am never wrong! undecided
I will not comment! I will not comment grin
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by sjeezy8: 1:41am On Apr 24, 2010
WELL IF THERE ARE 11 MILLION LIVING IN SLUMS
THE 11 MILLION NEED TO PACK THEIR BAGS AND JOLLY BACK TO THEIR VILLAGES.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 1:42am On Apr 24, 2010
FL Gators:

I will not comment! I will not comment grin

*Strokes his precious, valuable head slowly, and puts his little finger to his lips like Dr Evil (of Austin Powers) with his signature stare*

grin grin grin grin cool
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by shotster50(m): 1:43am On Apr 24, 2010
11 Million or not the fact still remains that majority of Lagosionas live in 'slum' like conditions.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Kobojunkie: 1:44am On Apr 24, 2010
The estimates on the Lagos state website putting the number at about 18 million and 11 million are from 2006. e be like say population don pass 20 by now, if  the state expects about 600,000 people in each day, or is that week? And since majority go straight into slums . . . lol

shotster50:

11 Million or not the fact still remains that majority of Lagosionas live in 'slum' like conditions.

Well, that too, but how you go take define slum? ROFLMAO!!! By Western standards, or even UK standards, my home in Nigeria is probably in a slum . . . no direct access to clean water, good roads, electricity and all that. Do we REDEFINE the word, which seems what we are so good at doing, or do we work on developing to close up the gap? lol
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 1:45am On Apr 24, 2010
@sagamite
lol oogbadun

Kobojunkie:

The estimates on the Lagos state website putting the number at about 18 million and 11 million are from 2006. e be like say population don pass 20 by now, if  the state expects about 600,000 people in each day, or is that week? And since majority go straight into slums . . . lol
grin cheesy grin
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by EloSela(f): 8:55am On Apr 24, 2010
It isn't hard to believe that 11 million out 17 million people in Lagos live in slums.

All you need to do is to count the number of reasonably good areas or houses with good plumbing and electricity to those not so good areas or houses without the basic amenities.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by labiyemmy(m): 8:56am On Apr 24, 2010
This just shows that when fools talk, the only thing you do is to watch and let them fool themselves the more- "the 11million" figure is clearly mentioned towards the end of the programme, yet, some people wihout ears spend all their energy arguing for nothing sake. Rubbish!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Cynthia's BlackBerry Found With Port Harcourt-based Businessman / Senate Queries N4bn First Lady’s House / First City Monument Bank On Fire In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.