Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,632 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:15 PM

BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism (22155 Views)

Saraki’s Loyalists To Rubbish Buhari’s Ministerial List As Rivals Plot His Remov / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless / Picture Of Slums In The Usa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 2:15pm On Apr 23, 2010
Sagamite

im shocked!!!!!

How is that difficult to understand grin grin grin grin grin
ive called 3 people to read this here and they are laffing like mad

someone said i should post it in Igbo or yoruba

LOL!!! this is annoying grin grin grin
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 2:16pm On Apr 23, 2010
Many thanks to BBC for showing this programme. ?

The funny thing is that many whites in my office enjoyed the programme and despite the awareness that there is a lot of development ahead, they were in a thrilling way impressed by the way these guys in Makko carried themselves, not resorting to begging or theft but hard work.

Lets start seeing the positive and work on the negatives.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Onlytruth(m): 2:16pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

The bolded sentence above  is meaningless.

Are you drinking kai kai? Were you not the one that introduced Malaysia into the argument? Whereas, you don't even know nada about that country? Abeg go boil the akamu between your ears, its too cold to make any sense. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
It takes foolishness to consistently attack the wrong target; whereas, we should be questioning our govt, people like you want to question the BBC for the existence of Makoko. Dimwit.

The simple fact remains that some of us would rather blame the BBC for filming visible things, than deal with those things. Govt officials have stolen $350 billion since independence; if that $350 billion had been wisely invested, we would have made a return of at least a 100 times the amount and we would be developed today.

The bolded quote is the GIST of the whole thing.

I'm deeply disappointed that seemingly smart folks are even attacking you for pointing out the "gutter" syndrome in our neighborhood designs (though I thank God they are being systematically replaced with underground sewers in new housing developments in parts of Nigeria these days), but the fact remains that overwhelming majority of Nigerian cities have open drainage (gutters). I have often wondered aloud why we still have them in Nigeria.

I completely share your views and sentiments on this. cool
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 2:20pm On Apr 23, 2010
texazzpete:

@tkb417 et al
Kindly answer these questions:

1. Why would you rather point accusing fingers at the BBC instead of the Federal or State governments?
2. If the BBC apologizes (which they definitely won't), will that suddenly turn all the slums into decent environments?
3. If the actual numbers of lagosians that live in slums add up to 7 million instead of the 11 million you said BBC claimed, will that make things all right? Will that make you feel much better, knowing that still a huge number of people are suffering while you make snarky comments on the internet?

Texazz u guys are right

Saga and Frosble have given us  reasons why a UK born and bred guy would think the whole of Lagos is messed up

coooolio, im not comfortable with the number tho but i agree its a wake up call for the govt to measure up and save us from these constant insult from the West
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by furacao(m): 2:21pm On Apr 23, 2010
frosbel:

The funny thing is that many whites in my office enjoyed the programme and despite the awareness that there is a lot of development ahead, they were in a thrilling way impressed by the way these guys in Makko carried themselves, not resorting to begging or theft but hard work.

Of course the whites in your office will enjoy the programme. Read Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness and you'd understand why they respond that way. It reinforces their stereotyping of Africans.
Why wouldn't they be thrilled by the carriage of Makko people if they did not, ab initio, expect less?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 2:21pm On Apr 23, 2010
tkb417:

were you designed to be dumb?

someone posted pictures of some parts in London and said the places should be better than some places in VI and Ikoyi and i responded by saying this is Nigeria and not Malaysia

MEANING, NIGERIA CAN NEVER BE COMPARED TO A COUNTRY LIKE UK

how is that difficult to understand. Malaysia was piecked by me because we can argue they are a developing country but their facilities can still rival places in UK
what is this man on about?

now we need to know the number of retards in Nairaland for real

what do you know about Malaysia mr silly that i dont know?
hehehehehe

So you agree that it was you who brought Malaysia into the argument? Hmmmm, we are getting somewhere, at last, there seems to be some motion in that akamu brain of yours. grin

Unfortunately, for the reasons I have mentioned, malaysia was the wrong country to use as an example. We attained independence at about the same time, they even came running to us for oil palm seedlings to start off their own plantations (they quickly overthrew us to the number one spot). They are now DEVELOPED.

Anyways the crux of the matter is that you are blaming the BBC instead of our govt. Can you tell us why?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Kobojunkie: 2:22pm On Apr 23, 2010
frosbel:

Yet many on here PRETEND to read the minds of ALL WHITE PEOPLE. I wonder if folks who do that do not understand that they themselves are probably the insecure/ignorant ones. Some even go as far as to compare poverty in the west with poverty in Nigeria.

I showed the first video to my colleagues and got much the same reaction.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 2:26pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

So you agree that it was you who brought Malaysia into the argument? Hmmmm, we are getting somewhere, at last, there seems to be some motion in that akamu brain of yours. grin

Unfortunately, for the reasons I have mentioned, malaysia was the wrong country to use as an example. We attained independence at about the same time, they even came running to us for oil palm seedlings to start off their own plantations (they quickly overthrew us to the number one spot). They are now DEVELOPED.

Anyways the crux of the matter is that you are blaming the BBC instead of our govt. Can you tell us why?
Malaysia was perfect for my illustration so?

as for the topic, i cant remember blaming BBC for anythin but asking how they arrived at 11 million
simples

read
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 2:29pm On Apr 23, 2010
tkb417:

Texazz u guys are right

Saga and Frosble have given us  reasons why a UK born and bred guy would think the whole of Lagos is messed up

coooolio, im not comfortable with the number tho but i agree its a wake up call for the govt to measure up and save us from these constant insult from the West

Misquoting me is not the best way to advance your cause.

When did I say that UK people think Lagos is a rubbish dump ?

Certainly not the ones I know who are widely travelled and exposed.

They just think that it is unfair to have a few elite and 'middle class' living in opulence while a greater majority live slightly below the subsistence level.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 2:31pm On Apr 23, 2010
tkb417:

Malaysia was perfect for my illustration so?

as for the topic, i cant remember blaming BBC for anythin but asking how they arrived at the 11 million
simples

read

Your Malaysia example only threw a brighter light on the failures of past and present Nigeria's govts. Malaysia is a country that even asked for our help in the past, yet they are now developed.
As for the BBC's figures, do you have better figures? Or will disputing those figures stop folk in Makoko experiencing a sub-human existence?
Did you really give deep thought to the issues at hand before defending the effects of corrupt governance?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 2:33pm On Apr 23, 2010
frosbel:

Misquoting me is not the best way to advance your cause.

When did I say that UK people think Lagos is a rubbish dump ?

Certainly not the ones I know who are widely travelled and exposed.

They just think that it is unfair to have a few elite and 'middle class' living in opulence while a greater majority live slightly below the subsistence level.
LOL
my bad.  .  . think it was Saga that said so

no vex grin grin
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by jaybee3(m): 2:39pm On Apr 23, 2010
You guys are busy here going back and forth about non-issues that categorically won't make any difference. Sitting down behind computers doing unnecessary comparative analysis thousand miles away is surely not the way forward.

What can we do and how do we go about it?
Those that can vote can at least do so and make their vote count grin
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 2:41pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

Your Malaysia example only threw a brighter light on the failures of past and present Nigeria's govts. Malaysia is a country that even asked for our help in the past, yet they are now developed.
As for the BBC's figures, do you have better figures? Or will disputing those figures stop folk in Makoko experiencing a sub-human existence?
Did you really give deep thought to the issues at hand before defending the effects of corrupt governance?
i do not understand how 61% of Lagosians would be living in slums with the present cleaning up exercise in Lagos and the present govts drive in the provision of some basic amenities.

The present govts efforts have ensured major clear up in some of the densely populated places in Lagos
oshodi, Mushin, alaba and co. while ill not argue there are no slums in Lagos, i cant understand how they arrived at that figure and hence my vituperations. if 61% live in slums in Lagos, how many would be living in slums 4 years back b4 this adminstration? like 90%

The BBC's expose should be a workplan for any discerning govt but as a native and residnt of Lagos, i wouldnt want my sensiblities insulted all in the name of journalism

my point!!
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 2:52pm On Apr 23, 2010
^
Yes, there is major clearing up work going on in Lagos, but much more needs to be done. Instead of shrinking, area's like Makoko have grown larger over the years. Like I mentioned earlier, our major failing is a lack of instituted standards. Fashola is by Nigerian measure, a great governor; but Lagos (like the rest of Nigeria) is still dangerously lacking where standards are concerned.

The BBC might have a negative agenda, but there is no point going after them. We are much better of venting our fury on the powers that be in Nigeria.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by texazzpete(m): 2:54pm On Apr 23, 2010
furacao:

Of course the whites in your office will enjoy the programme. Read Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness and you'd understand why they respond that way. It reinforces their stereotyping of Africans.
Why wouldn't they be thrilled by the carriage of Makko people if they did not, ab initio, expect less?

So you're perfectly happy to apply a racial stereotype while complaining about racial stereotyping, eh?

You people never cease to amaze me.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by candylips(m): 2:56pm On Apr 23, 2010
why are people coming to Lagos in the first place.

The place is bursting at the seams.

Lagos cannot do it alone. All other states need to wake up

even if Lagos is kept clean today thousand more people will troop in and places like makoko will continue to expand

about two decades ago it was maroko now its makoko next it will be makaka or something
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Kobojunkie: 2:58pm On Apr 23, 2010
candylips:

why are people coming to Lagos in the first place.

The place is bursting at the seams.

Lagos cannot do it alone. All other states need to wake up

even if Lagos is kept clean today thousand more people will troop in and places like makoko will continue to expand

about two decades ago it was maroko now its makoko next it will be makaka or something

Where would you prefer they went instead?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by candylips(m): 3:01pm On Apr 23, 2010
the should stay back in the village and farm. Village life is better than living in dirt in lagos

the key to solving lagos problems is to develop the country side.

so that city life will be a turn off for people

the more fashola beautifies lagos the uglier it will become
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 3:01pm On Apr 23, 2010
furacao:

Sorry I beg to differ.

I do not carry a chip on my shoulder, they watched it, enjoyed it. Period!

Whether they are happy that we live in such a deprived state is neither here nor there.

Point is they are more sympathetic to our plight than the so called Government.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 3:01pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

^
Yes, there is major clearing up work going on in Lagos, but much more needs to be done. Instead of shrinking, area's like Makoko have grown larger over the years. Like I mentioned earlier, our major failing is a lack of instituted standards. Fashola is by Nigerian measure, a great governor; but Lagos (like the rest of Nigeria) is still dangerously lacking where standards are concerned.

The BBC might have a negative agenda, but there is no point going after them. We are much better of venting our fury on the powers that be in Nigeria.
i agree

we need a lot to do as a country

sanusi has started with the financial sector, let the other people take up the gauntlet and clean their sectors too grin grin grin
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Kobojunkie: 3:13pm On Apr 23, 2010
candylips:

the should stay back in the village and farm. Village life is better than living in dirt in lagos

Have you realized the economics of it all by now? For a lot of the people you see living there, the garbage in Lagos seems to be worth more than what they had in their villages.

I don't know where your idea that village life is better than living in dirt in Lagos comes from but I would suggest you go ask these people to get a better sense of what their reality is rather than assuming they had or have access to better life in some village somewhere. I know village life in my own village is NOWHERE better than life in Lagos.

candylips:

the key to solving lagos problems is to develop the country side.

If the countryside is NOT DEVELOPED by Government, what do you expect to happen to the people? They cannot magically continue to live better lives, or can they?

candylips:

so that city life will be a turn off for people

the more fashola beautifies lagos the uglier it will become

The Lagos problem has been around long before fashola showed up on the scene, and the more he continues to beautify the city and not the country, what do you think will continue to happen, following your theory?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 3:59pm On Apr 23, 2010
jay bee:

You guys are busy here going back and forth about non-issues that categorically won't make any difference. Sitting down behind computers doing unnecessary comparative analysis thousand miles away is surely not the way forward.
What can we do and how do we go about it?
Those that can vote can at least do so and make their vote count grin

You see, I found out that it's the mindless chatter that they keep coming back for. Leave them jor, when they get tired, they'll rest!
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by coldhearts(f): 8:03pm On Apr 23, 2010
bbc is crowned a liar, what more do you expect from them; the actual figures/ real journalism  lol that's a bit much.
when people say bbc, some of us hear liars/ possible descendant of a thief lipsrsealed, so whats new.
everywhere has it's slums and good neighborhood but we all don't go sticking our nose into other countries business.
On the bright side, maybe their nosing around is a good call for some of our leaders to do something good.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by xterra2(m): 8:37pm On Apr 23, 2010
11 million people out of Lagos 18 million-20 million kai BBC na lie
As the post says this is rubbish journalism at its best
This is a lie
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 9:29pm On Apr 23, 2010
@xterra2 and coldhearts

I don't care to defend the BBC, they've always been biased against Africa; but I'll ask you a simple question:
What is the population of Lagos and how did you come about it?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by DisGuy: 10:02pm On Apr 23, 2010
coldhearts:

bbc is crowned a liar, what more do you expect from them; the actual figures/ real journalism  lol that's a bit much.
when people say bbc, some of us hear liars/ possible descendant of a thief lipsrsealed, so whats new.
everywhere has it's slums and good neighborhood but we all don't go sticking our nose into other countries business.
On the bright side, maybe their nosing around is a good call for some of our leaders to do something good.

that's because we cant actually do that don't you think  tongue
ordinary elections in neighbouring countries we have to beam BBC/CNN footage

In fact until BBC and co actually come to expose in broad daylight what the police, armies etc are doing to drivers on a daily basis, the govt wont do anything! AIT and co will now copy and past their 'hardwork' as usual
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 10:04pm On Apr 23, 2010
Does ppl actually trust Nigerian Stats/ "facts"?

All this guessing and assumptions. . . . I'd like to know how they conducted their research sef
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by DisGuy: 10:06pm On Apr 23, 2010
FL Gators:

Does ppl actually trust Nigerian Stats/ "facts"?

All this guessing and assumptions. . . . I'd like to know how they conducted their research sef

its not that difficult, 18million people remove the population of those those in the new cities +/- 3%

there was a census not too long ago
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 10:10pm On Apr 23, 2010
Dis Guy:

its not that difficult, 18million people remove the population of those those in the new cities +/- 3%

there was a census not too long ago
Dont you actually have to take every resident in lagos into account? Howz that possible in Lagos. . . . not trying to sound ignorant tho, if I do
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 10:17pm On Apr 23, 2010
Just watch this clip.

Note that areas of emphasis regarding development are VI and Ikoyi

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0wEDHSGNkY&hl=en[/flash]

El Dee was right

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKXjwTC7cKM&hl=en[/flash]
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by DisGuy: 10:24pm On Apr 23, 2010
FL Gators:

Dont you actually have to take every resident in lagos into account? Howz that possible in Lagos. . . . not trying to sound ignorant tho, if I do

dont understand the question but
According to the BBC doc about 11million people out of 18million live in a slum, meaning 7 million people live in decent/well developed areas
Its not about the each individual its also about the infrastructure available in different parts of the state

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-360085.32.html#msg5159056
Lagos is an impossible place to live in. Please poster, reside somewhere else.

If you live in lagos, you will spend approximately 5-8 hrs daily in traffic, depending on where you work and live.
In the next one year that would equate to three full months in traffic!! That is not a life.

How can I wake up and leave the house at 5 am and return home at 11pm. That is no life.
I would rather go and farm in some village.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by EloSela(f): 10:31pm On Apr 23, 2010
@Frosbel

In the video you posted before was the man in red really doing a no.2 in public at 2.11? shocked shocked shocked, I have heard about this being the case in Lagos but I have never seen it shocked shocked shocked My eyes! My eyes!

[flash=400,345]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/k0wEDHSGNkY&feature=player_embedded#![/flash]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Troops Arrest Notorious Militant ‘general Eagle’ / Burial Photos Of Veronica, Abba Moro's Wife / Atiku Hasn’t Travelled To US – Aide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.