Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,189 members, 7,818,614 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism (22154 Views)

Saraki’s Loyalists To Rubbish Buhari’s Ministerial List As Rivals Plot His Remov / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless / Picture Of Slums In The Usa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by ziga: 12:04pm On Apr 23, 2010
honeric01:

You live in Lagos yet you don't know what is going on around you, what a pity, i challenge you to go around this saturday after environmental, check the houses around you and see if they don't have wells, boreholes and sulk-away, then come back here and tell us your findings.

Any house with a sulk-away have WS toilets.

I'm trying to understand your point.

I did not say that homes without these facilities do not exist.

But for you to agree that 11 million people live in homes like these is ridiculous.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by ziga: 12:05pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

Just one example. . . If you or your maigaurd (or anybody else) has to hop across open gutter's; you live in a slum.

I'm yet to find your open gutter definition of a slum.

Can you help me please.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 12:06pm On Apr 23, 2010
honeric01:

Geez, you are so out of touch about Lagos, that pix is a market and that other house you posted is a business building, those are the types used for office (one man biz) for cyber cafes and business centers.

I know. It is just laziness and impatience for finding a pix as it was not quickly popping up.

Substitute with the one below but imagine the collapse building is not there (I know, still being lazy  grin). That building to oyinbo is a slum!

To us, it is OK for the poor, not too bad.

Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 12:07pm On Apr 23, 2010
ziga:

But for you to agree that 11 million people live in homes like these is ridiculous.

make dem dey juggle figures

no mind dem

11 million ma ass

na mogadishu be this?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 12:07pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

Just one example. . . If you or your maigaurd (or anybody else) has to hop across open gutter's; you live in a slum.

gutter? or drainage? which one are u talking about?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 12:07pm On Apr 23, 2010
ziga:

I'm yet to find your open gutter definition of a slum.

Can you help me please.

Simple deduction. Its in the poor sanitation part of any slum definition you find.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 12:08pm On Apr 23, 2010
honeric01:

I would actually say "open sewers", but I've got to stick with Nigerianisms.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 12:09pm On Apr 23, 2010
honeric01:

stop saying rubbish, you must have lived in Lagos in the 90s to be thinking like this, most Lagos citizens have wisen up, if your house is not okay enough, they won't rent it and the competition is getting stiff too, people are selling other people's houses to unknown people once they see your house is too wretched and weak, they automatically take you for a poor landlord so because of this, more landlords are upgrading their houses.

Yes, we have lot of not up to standard houses in Lagos, this i cant lie about, but to say 11million out of 18million live in slums is like saying 130 million Nigerians live in slums out of 140 million.

I never concurred that 11 million Lagosians live in slums.

By the way I come to Nigeria often, and was their last year easter.

Lagos has improved but there are still vast slums such as the ones depicted by BBC.

Examples Osodi , Ajegunle etc.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 12:09pm On Apr 23, 2010
honeric01:

im slow myself
cant seem to pick what the guy is sayin

if ure jumping a drainage in front of ur house, u live in a slum
excellent!!!

gutters, do u have gutters in front of houses?
LOL
excellent again  .   .   .  .lol
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 12:10pm On Apr 23, 2010
ziga:

you're quoting the wrong person, please check my post again.

thanks.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 12:11pm On Apr 23, 2010
Sagamite:

I know. It is just laziness and impatience for finding a pix as it was not quickly popping up.

Substitute with the one below but imagine the collapse building is not there (I know, still being lazy  grin). That building to oyinbo is a slum!

i guess 11 million Nigerians live in this kinda houses

wonderful grin grin grin
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by ziga: 12:11pm On Apr 23, 2010
honeric01:

you're quoting the wrong person, please check my post again.

thanks.

My bad.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 12:12pm On Apr 23, 2010
Sagamite:

if you checked that house you posted, you'd find out that the house must have been marked for demolition. please make research, we aren't animals in Lagos.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by ziga: 12:14pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

Simple deduction. Its in the poor sanitation part of any slum definition you find.

One factor does not translate to a slum. And like you said "it is part of the definition of slum".

If we go by your rules, poor sanitation = slum.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 12:14pm On Apr 23, 2010
tkb417:

im slow myself
cant seem to pick what the guy is sayin

if ure jumping a drainage in front of your house, u live in a slum
excellent!!!

gutters, do u have gutters in front of houses?
LOL
excellent again  .   .   .  .lol

Stop being funny and check the definition of "slum" (with particular emphasis on amenities and services). Come back when you've done that.
Jumping anything to get home, puts you right bang in slum conditions. cool
What will we do next? Climb?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 12:15pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

I would actually say "open sewers", but I've got to stick with Nigerianisms.

still not right, open sewers is wrong, it's either gutter or drainage, gutter is almost as large and wide as canals but drainage is what we have in every streets, so go back and make your research because few houses would be found around gutters and sewers in Lagos.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 12:16pm On Apr 23, 2010
honeric01:

if you checked that house you posted, you'd find out that the house must have been marked for demolition. please make research, we aren't animals in Lagos.

I am not condemning, I am just saying based on aesthetics and perception/reality of internal facilities, to Oyinbo that is a slum!

Especially an Oyinbo that works for BBC and is probably some privileged Oxbridge grad who grew up in a nice 4-bed cottage by the river in Salisbury that does not have a street number, just called "The Swan", Bulberry Avenue, Salisbury.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 12:17pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

Stop being funny and check the definition of "slum" (with particular emphasis on amenities and services). Come back when you've done that.
Jumping anything to get home, puts you right bang in slum conditions. cool
What will we do next? Climb?

do you jump anything before getting into your house? i mean your house must be the worst house in the whole of Lagos.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 12:18pm On Apr 23, 2010
Sagamite:

I am not condemning, I am just saying based on aesthetics and perception/reality of internal facilities, to Oyinbo that is a slum!

Especially an Oyinbo that works for BBC and is probably some privileged Oxbridge grad who grew up in a nice 4-bed cottage by the river in Salisbury that does not have a street number, just called "The Swan", Bulberry Avenue, Salisbury.

well, i understand, but posting such pix on this thread will further give some people rights to think Lagos house are like that without even making research on their own.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Kobojunkie: 12:19pm On Apr 23, 2010
[size=13pt]Where did the @Poster get the 11million figure? What is the source of the information? [/size]
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 12:21pm On Apr 23, 2010
honeric01:

still not right, open sewers is wrong, it's either gutter or drainage, gutter is almost as large and wide as canals but drainage is what we have in every streets, so go back and make your research because few houses would be found around gutters and sewers in Lagos.

You're aren't joking, are you? Your definitions are way off, but we both know what I'm talking about. Even in a semi-high brow area like Ilupeju, there are open sewers everywhere. We have no standards. We urgently need to start developing standards; that is the only way we can develop, otherwise we might as well move into zoo's.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 12:21pm On Apr 23, 2010
Lets clean up our mess and stop blaming BBC.

In fact I hail BBC for shaming us.

Lets wake up and work together to sort out this chaos!
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 12:22pm On Apr 23, 2010
honeric01:

do you jump anything before getting into your house? i mean your house must be the worst house in the whole of Lagos.
grin grin grin grin
was trying to pull the guy out of his misery but he fell for it

i dont know of houses where u jump drainages b4 u can enter

nyways, if thats wht they mean by slum, then u can only find those in the dirtiest part of Lagos. I doubt if a million people live in such houses in Lagos
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by ziga: 12:22pm On Apr 23, 2010
Kobojunkie:

[size=13pt]Where did the @Poster get the 11million figure? What is the source of the information? [/size]

Exactly, @poster, what is your source, because i am really surprised at this lie.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 12:23pm On Apr 23, 2010
Kobojunkie:

true

@labiyemmy (m)
 can you provide us with links to your claims?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by ziga: 12:23pm On Apr 23, 2010
frosbel:

Lets clean up our mess and stop blaming BBC.

In fact I hail BBC for shaming us.

Lets wake up and work together to sort out this chaos!

If they really said this, they didn't shame us.

They told a very big lie.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 12:25pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

You're aren't joking, are you? Your definitions are way off, but we both know what I'm talking about. Even in a semi-high brow area like Ilupeju, there are open sewers everywhere. We have no standards. We urgently need to start developing standards; that is the only way we can develop, otherwise we might as well move into zoo's.
in front of the houses in Ilupeju cheesy

so Ilupeju residents jump these open sewers b4 entering their houses

wow
so how do they drive in then? or the cars jump the sewers too?
LOL
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 12:25pm On Apr 23, 2010
honeric01:

I actually don't (doesn't make me any different), but 90% of Lagosians have something to hop across on their way home. In the UK, where the BBC is based, that is a health and safety crime that will be visited with heavy fines and even jail time, if corrective steps aren't taken.

Aside from berating the BBC here (which we all seem to agree, has a negative agenda), what corrective steps have any of our govts taken to right the bestial life standard of 90% of our populace? I am listening.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 12:26pm On Apr 23, 2010
tkb417:

in front of the houses in Ilupeju cheesy

so Ilupeju residents jump these open sewers b4 entering their houses

wow
so how do they drive in then? or the cars jump the sewers too?
LOL

Please wear your common sense cap.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 12:28pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

Please wear your common sense cap.
in the posse of the dim witted, you shd be a heavy weight champion

answer my question

do the cars jump the open sewers too?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 12:28pm On Apr 23, 2010
Personally, I don't think more than a million people out of 16m live in places like Makoko and the dump shown on BBC.

Probably majority of the poor live in the kind of environment Orji (father in the first episode) lives in, and that in Lagos is not classed a slum. It is poor and undesirable, but not called a slum.

I mean houses like this that you see dotted around Shomolu but is now overcrowded:

Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 12:29pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

man, you just too funny, sewer and drainage are different, let me help you out.

Sewer
sew·er [s ər]
(plural sew·ers)
noun
drain for waste: a large pipe or drain, usually underground, that carries away waste or rainwater

Drainage
noun
1.  draining process: the process of draining liquid from something

Based on these definitions, i won't be wrong to say sewers can be taken for Tunnels for large draining of waste water through underground means.

While drainage is what passes these waste waters to the sewage for final disposition.

clear?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Cynthia's BlackBerry Found With Port Harcourt-based Businessman / Recent Activities Of The Bring Back Our Girls Group / 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.