Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,413 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism (22152 Views)

Saraki’s Loyalists To Rubbish Buhari’s Ministerial List As Rivals Plot His Remov / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless / Picture Of Slums In The Usa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 12:30pm On Apr 23, 2010
@Honeric

That guy knows next to nothing

sewer in front of houses?

are the drainages open in Lagos?

who are these people chatting original opaks?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 12:30pm On Apr 23, 2010
tkb417:

in the posse of the dim witted, you shd be a heavy weight champion

answer my question

do the cars jump the open sewers too?

What do you call this? Eh, "intelligent" boy?

@honerico
That photo is from the BBC and being British and the owners of English, I would say they know what they mean when they describe what is in that pic as an open sewer. So lets not meander here and there (it won't change matters), we all know what an open sewer is. cool
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 12:31pm On Apr 23, 2010
ziga:

Exactly, @poster, what is your source, because i am really surprised at this lie.

It was said at the ending part of yesterday's programme.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 12:36pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

I actually don't (doesn't make me any different), but 90% of Lagosians have something to hop across on their way home. In the UK, where the BBC is based, that is a health and safety crime that will be visited with heavy fines and even jail time, if corrective steps aren't taken.

Aside from berating the BBC here (which we all seem to agree, has a negative agenda), what corrective steps have any of our govts taken to right the bestial life standard of 90% of our populace? I am listening.

Drainage in some parts of Lagos are covered and no one jumps across them before entering their houses, i mean the front house are always covered except parts where people don't have anything to do with.

if anyone is to talk about proper housing, it's not that UK, i am yet to see any nice house in the UK (for average people), except those 10x by 10x rooms they call houses, if you want to see standard houses, go to the states.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 12:36pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

What do you call this? Eh, intelligent boy?

jeezz

hmmmmmm, how do i start?
1) i cannot see any entrance in front or behind the gutter

2) the gutters are cleaned in Lagos every last saturday of the month and that means they are usually clean except in an area where sanitation is relagated to the background

fyi, Lagos is the only state where this is a common practice

what on earth are u on about?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 12:36pm On Apr 23, 2010
Sagamite is a joker i swear
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 12:37pm On Apr 23, 2010
tkb417:

jeezz

hmmmmmm, how do i start?
1) i cannot see any entrance in front or behind the gutter

2) the gutters are cleaned in Lagos every last saturday of the month and that means they are usually clean except in an area where sanitation is relagated to the background

fyi, Lagos is the only state where this is a common practice

what on earth are u on about?

Suddenly, its all semantics! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Can you deny the photo? Ode!
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 12:40pm On Apr 23, 2010
tkb417:

@Honeric

That guy knows next to nothing

sewer in front of houses?

are the drainages open in Lagos?

who are these people chatting original opaks?

i am just sick of the guy too, every last Saturday in Lagos, there's a compulsory environmental sanitation from 6am-10am, if you are caught outside, you pay heavy sum of money or be made to sleep in the cell after going through the court process. every Thursday in all markets in Lagos, there's environmental sanitation from 6am-10am and it must be obeyed.

Beaf, if you don't know now, you should know.

our dirtiness in Lagos is a citizen problem and not the governments fault, lagosian are just too carefree and i blame it on their IDC attitude.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 12:42pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

Suddenly, its all semantics! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Based on that same pix you posted, does that area look like a slum to you? undecided
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 12:43pm On Apr 23, 2010
honeric01:

Drainage in some parts of Lagos are covered and no one jumps across them before entering their houses, i mean the front house are always covered except parts where people don't have anything to do with.

if anyone is to talk about proper housing, it's not that UK, i am yet to see any nice house in the UK (for average people), except those 10x by 10x rooms they call houses, if you want to see standard houses, go to the states.

Ok, lets assume you have never hopped across an open sewer in Lagos. The fact is still that they are everywhere and it is an unhygenic practice that is only found in slums.
We are better off sorting out our problems than berating those who point them out.

Your second paragraph agree's 100% with everything I have said, both with my earlier mention of Jamaica (although a bit guilty with open sewers in ghettos too) and with our lack of standards.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Kobojunkie: 12:43pm On Apr 23, 2010
Ah  . . . .The herd mentality at work yet again !!!

[size=13pt]@Poster, Still waiting on source of your information oooo!!![/size]
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 12:47pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

Can you deny the photo? Ode!
LOL

i don tire for u ooo grin grin
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 12:47pm On Apr 23, 2010
[size=13pt]UK worst areas

You can see that even the worst areas in the UK, have clean drainages, water, roads etc etc.[/size]

Peckham

Brixton
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 12:48pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

Ok, lets assume you have never hopped across an open sewer in Lagos. The fact is still that they are everywhere and it is an unhygenic practice that is only found in slums.
We are better off sorting out our problems than berating those who point them out.

Your second paragraph agree's 100% with everything I have said, both with my earlier mention of Jamaica (although a bit guilty with open sewers in ghettos too) and with our lack of standards.

Where did i agree with you abeg?

we all know that we have slums in Lagos, but 11million people? that's a pure lie, BTW, do u live in Lagos? pls note, i didn;t ask if you lived in Lagos, i said, do u live in Lagos?  

The only agreement i have with the thread is Lagos having a slum, but to claim 11million out of 18million live in slums is a FATAL lie.

What did BBC say about Lagos (the true ones) that you didn't know before?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 12:49pm On Apr 23, 2010
honeric01:

i am just sick of the guy too, every last Saturday in Lagos, there's a compulsory environmental sanitation from 6am-10am, if you are caught outside, you pay heavy sum of money or be made to sleep in the cell after going through the court process. every Thursday in all markets in Lagos, there's environmental sanitation from 6am-10am and it must be obeyed.

Beaf, if you don't know now, you should know.

our dirtiness in Lagos is a citizen problem and not the governments fault, lagosian are just too carefree and i blame it on their IDC attitude.

You are just being sentimental. The fact is living conditions in Nigeria are poor.
I am sorry, but if you think it is the citizens business to set up cleanliness standards (known as health and safety), you couldn't be farther away from the truth. It is the governments duty to set standards, but in Nigeria, its all about chopping.
We have zero standards and as long as able bodied men argue for mediocrity, we will continue heading backwards. In case you don't know, Makoko has actually been growing, rather than shrinking. It is a shame.

honeric01:

Based on that same pix you posted, does that area look like a slum to you? undecided

Yes it is a slum by the dictionary definition.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 12:51pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

You are just being sentimental. The fact is living conditions in Nigeria are poor.
I am sorry, but if you think it is the citizens business to set up cleanliness standards (known as health and safety), you couldn't be farther away from the truth. It is the governments duty to set standards, but in Nigeria, its all about chopping.
We have zero standards and as long as able bodied men argue for mediocrity, we will continue heading backwards. In case you don't know, Makoko has actually been growing, rather than shrinking. It is a shame.

Yes it is a slum by the dictionary definition.

i hear you, can't argue further with you, yes, 11 million lagosians live in the makoko slums, the rest 7 million live in the ajegunle's slum. are you happy now? undecided undecided undecided undecided, please say yes so we can both go in peace.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 12:54pm On Apr 23, 2010
frosbel:

[size=13pt]UK worst areas

You can see that even the worst areas in the UK, have clean drainages, water, roads etc etc.[/size]

Chineke!

Bros, wetin na?  I offend you? angry

Why you dey show the abode of my babymamas?  angry

Jumoke dey live for 4th floor of the first build, Comfort dey live second.

Shakwana Lewis dey live for ground floor of the second building.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 12:57pm On Apr 23, 2010
honeric01:

Where did i agree with you abeg?

we all know that we have slums in Lagos, but 11million people? that's a pure lie, BTW, do u live in Lagos? pls note, i didn;t ask if you lived in Lagos, i said, do u live in Lagos?  

The only agreement i have with the thread is Lagos having a slum, but to claim 11million out of 18million live in slums is a FATAL lie.

What did BBC say about Lagos (the true ones) that you didn't know before?

Agree? My bad, in a keyboard punching flurry. grin

Yeah, I live in Lagos; but am one of the lucky few not to be sorrounded by sewers (it doesn't in any way set me above the average Lagosian).
I see what goes on around me and am real about it. Yesterday I posted about my visit to Ijora Badia; it was an emotionally scarring experience that I wouldn't wish to repeat, we must learn to do things better.

These things are there for each and every one of us to see, lets not pretend we don't see them.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 12:59pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

Agree? My bad, in a keyboard punching flurry. grin

Yeah, I live in Lagos; but am one of the lucky few not to be sorrounded by sewers (it doesn't in any way set me above the average Lagosian).
I see what goes on around me and am real about it. Yesterday I posted about my visit to Ijora Badia; it was an emotionally scarring experience that I wouldn't wish to repeat, we must learn to do things better.

These things are there for each and every one of us to see, lets not pretend we don't see them.

good, so the rest places apart from your end is a slum, glory be to God!
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Nobody: 1:02pm On Apr 23, 2010
Sagamite:

Chineke!

Bros, wetin na?  I offend you? angry

Why you dey show the abode of my babymamas?  angry

Jumoke dey live for 4th floor of the first build, Comfort dey live second.

Shakwana Lewis dey live for ground floor of the second building.

lol. grin

But surprisingly some of these places will beat certain aspects of VI and Ikoyi hands down.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 1:06pm On Apr 23, 2010
frosbel:

lol. grin

But surprisingly some of these places will beat certain aspects of VI and Ikoyi hands down.
exactly

its Nigeria we are talking about not Malaysia
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 1:17pm On Apr 23, 2010
tkb417:

exactly

. . .Is it the same (at the time, developing country) Malaysia got their first oil palm seedlings from Nigeria when we were the top oil palm grower in the World? Today, Malaysia is not only the number one in palm oil industry, they are also a developed country.
Malaysia also obtained independence at about the same time as Nigeria.

Since 1994, the Malaysian car company, Proton, has owned Lotus, a previously British company that produces the Lotus Europa S (pictured here) and other models.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia

Malaysia's rapid economic growth and prosperity is reflected by the Petronas Towers, the headquarters of the national oil giant in Kuala Lumpur and, at one time, the tallest building in the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia

[size=21pt]Seriously, you are quite foolish.[/size] embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 1:23pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

. . .Is it the same (at the time, developing country) Malaysia got their first oil palm seedlings from Nigeria when we were the top oil palm grower in the World? Today, Malaysia is not only the number one in palm oil industry, they are also a developed country.
Malaysia also obtained independence at about the same time as Nigeria.

[size=21pt]Seriously, you are quite foolish.[/size] embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

now, what can you do apart from what you're doing now?
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 1:31pm On Apr 23, 2010
@Honeric

i chose not to respond to him cos im sure the person i addressed my post to understood my line

Nigeria isnt Malaysia was just a random pair, i could have said Nigeria isnt South Africa, Egypt, Brasil et al

but since the guy is thick headed and wont understand lil things, i decided to quit

ill be stupid to exchange views with someone who cannot comprehend a sentence

hehehehe, he even went ahead to lecture me on Malaysia; LOL
im disgusted
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by honeric01(m): 1:37pm On Apr 23, 2010
@tbk
i no fit shout, make i go do some things offline.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 1:39pm On Apr 23, 2010
tkb417:

@Honeric

i chose not to respond to him cos im sure the person i addressed my post to understood my line

Nigeria isnt Malaysia was just a random pair, i could have said Nigeria isnt South Africa, Egypt, Brasil et al

but since the guy is thick headed and wont understand lil things, i decided to quit

ill be silly to exchange views with someone who cannot comprehend a sentence

hehehehe, he even went ahead to lecture me on Malaysia; LOL
im disgusted

If you weren't thick headed, you wouldn't have picked Malaysia. But you are just a know nothing, so you foolishly say anything that comes to mind. Unfortunately, foolish people like you who think with their arses abound in Nigeria's corridors of power. That is the real reason we haven't developed.

If you were in the least bit smart, you would have realised that Malaysia and Nigeria started life at about the same time. As said earlier, Malaysia came to Nigeria for oil palm seedlings and took over the lead in that industry. Malaysia has no oil or other rich mineral blessings, but today, Malaysia is developed; Nigeria is not. But a fool mentions Malaysia, in his defense of the decay in Nigeria. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

Kai! I want to blame BBC for your foolishness, but no be dem fault. grin
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 1:51pm On Apr 23, 2010
Beaf:

If you weren't thick headed, you wouldn't have picked Malaysia. But you are just a know nothing, so you foolishly say anything that comes to mind. Unfortunately, foolish people like you who think with their arses abound in Nigeria's corridors of power. That is the real reason we haven't developed.

If you were in the least bit smart, you would have realised that Malaysia and Nigeria started life at about the same time. As said earlier, Malaysia came to Nigeria for oil palm seedlings and took over the lead in that industry. Malaysia has no oil or other rich mineral blessings, but today, Malaysia is developed; Nigeria is not. But a fool mentions Malaysia, in his defense of the decay in Nigeria. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

Kai! I want to blame BBC for your foolishness, but no be dem fault. grin
I dont know you, but if intelligence will make me go places, then it might take you a billion years to catch up with me

Malaysia, Brasil, South Africa et al are all developing countries whose facilities can be compared to the developed countries in a way
hence the line, its Nigeria we are talking about, not Malaysia not Brasil not South Africa

in short it means, Nigeria cannot be compared to UK in any way!!!
simples;

what an annoying simpleton you are and a bit retarded i think!!!
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 2:05pm On Apr 23, 2010
If you were in the least bit smart, you would have realised that Malaysia and Nigeria started life at about the same time. As said earlier, Malaysia came to Nigeria for oil palm seedlings and took over the lead in that industry. Malaysia has no oil or other rich mineral blessings, but today, Malaysia is developed; Nigeria is not. But a fool mentions Malaysia, in his defense of the decay in Nigeria

comprehension palaver

NECO and JAMB should be scrapped!!!!!!!!!!!

i cant debate at this level. You need a brain booster!!!

1) you missed the plot right from the word go
2) you cannot understand the use of allegory when intertwined in words hence your show of shame here
3) The lil you know is a stumbling block to your mental state hence the applesauce im reading up

you are a disgrace to whoever sent you to school!!!!
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Beaf: 2:06pm On Apr 23, 2010
tkb417:

I dont know you, but if intelligence will make me go places, then it might take you a billion years to catch up with me

Malaysia, Brasil, South Africa et al are all developing countries whose facilities can be compared to the developed countries in a way
hence the line, its Nigeria we are talking about, not Malaysia not Brasil not South Africa

simples;

what an annoying simpleton you are!!!

The bolded sentence above  is meaningless.

Are you drinking kai kai? Were you not the one that introduced Malaysia into the argument? Whereas, you don't even know nada about that country? Abeg go boil the akamu between your ears, its too cold to make any sense. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
It takes foolishness to consistently attack the wrong target; whereas, we should be questioning our govt, people like you want to question the BBC for the existence of Makoko. Dimwit.

The simple fact remains that some of us would rather blame the BBC for filming visible things, than deal with those things. Govt officials have stolen $350 billion since independence; if that $350 billion had been wisely invested, we would have made a return of at least a 100 times the amount and we would be developed today.

Bad govt + foolish supporters = slums.
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by tkb417(m): 2:12pm On Apr 23, 2010
were you designed to be dumb?

someone posted pictures of some parts in London and said the places should be better than some places in VI and Ikoyi and i responded by saying this is Nigeria and not Malaysia

MEANING, NIGERIA CAN NEVER BE COMPARED TO A COUNTRY LIKE UK

how is that difficult to understand. Malaysia was piecked by me because we can argue they are a developing country but their facilities can still rival places in UK
what is this man on about?

now we need to know the number of retards in Nairaland for real

what do you know about Malaysia mr silly that i dont know?
hehehehehe
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by Sagamite(m): 2:12pm On Apr 23, 2010
tkb417:

simples;

what an annoying simpleton you are and a bit retarded i think!!!

My God!

I got your gist right from the first moment you said:

tkb417:

I was surprised at Beaf's response.

grin grin grin grin grin

Amazing.

It simply means, Nigeria is not even comparable to Malaysia!  grin
Re: BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism by texazzpete(m): 2:13pm On Apr 23, 2010
@tkb417 et al
Kindly answer these questions:

1. Why would you rather point accusing fingers at the BBC instead of the Federal or State governments?
2. If the BBC apologizes (which they definitely won't), will that suddenly turn all the slums into decent environments?
3. If the actual numbers of lagosians that live in slums add up to 7 million instead of the 11 million you said BBC claimed, will that make things all right? Will that make you feel much better, knowing that still a huge number of people are suffering while you make snarky comments on the internet?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Mokola Flyover Bridge, Ibadan. Pics.. / Recent Activities Of The Bring Back Our Girls Group / CJN Unhappy Over Conflicting Decisions By Appeal Court Divisions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.